Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: MOTUC ERAS: 200X, Nostalgia, and my odd relationship with NA

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    788

    MOTUC ERAS: 200X, Nostalgia, and my odd relationship with NA

    So I was playing with....err, posing, my collection today and thinking about my attachment to all these little plastic buggers. I've posted before about shopping for vintage MOTU with my Grandfather as a kid and my connection to these figurines from childhood. But today i was thinking of how much I enjoy ALL the emotions I have for different figures, even ones I didn't like as much, and how they transport me to different times and places.

    I loved 200X. LOVED it. But as Classics has taken over my collection, I ended up selling off all of those figures because they didn't hold up to me and because I needed the space. However looking at King Grayskull with the 200X style He-Man head on it I was transported to that time seeing the Horsemen sculpts on the pages of Toyfare magazine and knowing MOTU was coming back. I remembered trying to catch that blasted toon, opening full cases of Snakemen figures, and just loving this property and all it's entites and incarnations.

    Then I looked at my NA figures. Now, I hated NA as a kid. HATED it. Today I was remembering going to Kay Bee looking for the new He-Man stuff and being sooooo irate at what they had done. Not only did I tell me mom not to buy me any, I literally threw a He-Man on the ground and made a loud protest over what garbage this was. A bit dramatic right? Yeah, I may have been

    But today I realized I enjoy the NA figures in this line because they make me laugh about that as well. It's another chapter in my lifelong relationship with He-Man, and getting a laugh out of being angry at NA is just as fun a memory as the birthday i got 2 Battle Armor Skeletors and insisted I be allowed to color one with a sharpie to be Skeletors cousin.

    And now I am making new memories with this line and this collector community. I have grown fond of telling my Hydron figure I hate him on my way out of my office, and that I won't be mad if he falls off the shelf while I'm gone.

    MOTU Classics has become fleshed out and realized as intended: an all inclusive celebration of all eras of MOTU. I can celebrate the highs of finding Jitsu, the lows of seeing NA He-Man the first time, all the way up to my current outrage at bikini King Hssss.

    And I'm loving every minute of it. I wouldn't change a thing
    Last edited by snake_mole_hill; August 14, 2015 at 05:52pm.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    So I was playing with....err, posing, my collection today and thinking about my attachment to all these little plastic buggers. I've posted before about shopping for vintage MOTU with my Grandfather as a kid and my connection to these figurines from childhood. But today i was thinking of how much I enjoy ALL the emotions I have for different figures, even ones I didn't like as much, and how they transport me to different times and places.

    I loved 200X. LOVED it. But as Classics has taken over my collection, I ended up selling off all of those figures because they didn't hold up to me and because I needed the space. However looking at King Grayskull with the 200X style He-Man head on it I was transported to that time seeing the Horsemen sculpts on the pages of Toyfare magazine and knowing MOTU was coming back. I remembered trying to catch that blasted toon, opening full cases of Snakemen figures, and just loving this property and all it's entites and incarnations.

    Then I looked at my NA figures. Now, I hated NA as a kid. HATED it. Today I was remembering going to Kay Bee looking for the new He-Man stuff and being sooooo irate at what they had done. Not only did I tell me mom not to buy me any, I literally threw a He-Man on the ground and made a loud protest over what garbage this was. A bit dramatic right? Yeah, I may have been

    But today I realized I enjoy the NA figures in this line because they make me laugh about that as well. It's another chapter in my lifelong relationship with He-Man, and getting a laugh out of being angry at NA is just as fun a memory as the birthday i got 2 Battle Armor Skeletors and insisted I be allowed to color one with a sharpie to be Skeletors cousin.

    And now I am making new memories with this line and this collector community. I have grown found of telling my Hydron figure I hate him on my way out of my office, and that I won't be mad if he falls off the shelf while I'm gone.

    MOTU Classics has become fleshed out and realized as intended: an all inclusive celebration of all eras of MOTU. I can celebrate the highs of finding Jitsu, the lows of seeing NA He-Man the first time, all the way up to my current outrage at bikini King Hssss.

    And I'm loving every minute of it. I wouldn't change a thing
    Great post! And good perspective on N/A!
    WHERE IS THE TRANSPARENCY?

    Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

    3 Club Eternia, 3 Club 200X, 2 Collectors' Choice. 1 Beast Man. 1 Camo Khan. 1 Granymyr

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

  3. #3
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    10,050
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  4. #4
    Widget
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    33
    Great perspective.

  5. #5
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    13
    I was probably about 14 or so when NA was out. Here in NY it was shown in syndication weekdays at like 6 in the morning or something. It was always on as I was getting dressed for school. I was officially "too cool" for toys/cartoons at the time (amazing how now at age 40 it is currently my primary hobby, lol), but I would still sort of watch it. I remember being totally baffled by it, and oddly I remember being sort of bummed out that none of the other original MOTU characters were in it. While I still find the cartoon unwatchable, as most here I love what the 4H have done with the figures, and would definitely not mind a completed NA line.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    It's another chapter in my lifelong relationship with He-Man, and getting a laugh out of being angry at NA is just as fun a memory as the birthday i got 2 Battle Armor Skeletors and insisted I be allowed to color one with a sharpie to be Skeletors cousin.
    Yep, being angry at NA can indeed bring a life long of satisfaction. Especially now that with Classics we have the chance to re-experience MOTU again with an enhanced roster and in the setting of Eternia that for a fleeting period when we were kids it had seemed NA had robbed from us.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

    Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Yep, being angry at NA can indeed bring a life long of satisfaction. Especially now that with Classics we have the chance to re-experience MOTU again with an enhanced roster and in the setting of Eternia that for a fleeting period when we were kids it had seemed NA had robbed from us.
    Ya know it's funny, had they done NA in this style so it more closely matched the aesthetic of the vintage line and done a few core characters, I may have liked it as a kid. Optikk and slush head I like quite a bit in my MOTU mix. But it was just the proportions and space motif that had me scratching my head.

    I also was in love with the box art of the vintage playsets and vehicles, so that was another reason I hated NA so much.

    But now having them part of my Classics Universe, it's great for all the reasons stated above.

  8. #8
    CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Posts
    2,048
    NA is something I have a special fondness for. I loved the toys, my brother and I had some really cool battles. I regret not getting Starship Eternia. We could have pooled our Christmas money at one point to get it, but we didn't. It is a shame, although it may not have survived childhood.

    I enjoy the cartoon as well, faults and all. I remember that it took me a while to get into, but it had the benefit of being on super early in the morning when I was getting ready for school. I had to be in early for band practice, and the choices on TV at the time (we never had cable) was the news, some weird workout show, or He-man. So it won, lol.

    NA He-man was a lot like classic Doctor Who. I had a total "WTF" did I just watch moment the first time I watched it too, but kept watching, and became a fan.

    In the end, I have been able to enjoy all aspects of He-man for what they are. Mini comics, Filmation, POP, NA and 200X.
    July 2016 can't get here soon enough!

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    NA is something I have a special fondness for. I loved the toys, my brother and I had some really cool battles. I regret not getting Starship Eternia. We could have pooled our Christmas money at one point to get it, but we didn't. It is a shame, although it may not have survived childhood.

    I enjoy the cartoon as well, faults and all. I remember that it took me a while to get into, but it had the benefit of being on super early in the morning when I was getting ready for school. I had to be in early for band practice, and the choices on TV at the time (we never had cable) was the news, some weird workout show, or He-man. So it won, lol.

    NA He-man was a lot like classic Doctor Who. I had a total "WTF" did I just watch moment the first time I watched it too, but kept watching, and became a fan.

    In the end, I have been able to enjoy all aspects of He-man for what they are. Mini comics, Filmation, POP, NA and 200X.
    I've always wondered how I would have felt about NA had it been introduced to me under different circumstances. I just so loved the vintage line, and then had heard of this reboot and had envisioned something totally different. I wonder if NA had not been He-Man, or if it was the only version, if I'd have liked it or not. It was just such a departure from what I loved already I couldn't get into it.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,236
    Had NA been in the same scale as MOTU and they kept He-man and Skeletor looking as we remembered them, I may have accepted the line and the leaving Eternia (and everything else) behind premise. As it was, it looked like Mattel were just recycling He-man and Skeletor's names on a completely unrelated product. Those characters never were nor ever will be He-man and Skeletor to me. However, Classics has done much to redeem NA. The mutants even make it to my display!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

    Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,220
    I still dislike NA, even with the Classics styling. The only figure I think has been done very well is Intergalactic Skeletor, and yet he doesn't seem to be popular with NA fans.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  12. #12
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    36
    I hate NA, the cartoon is unwatchable and the character designs are bad. Maybe slush head and optikk are the best and still they don't compare. Nice writing thou : )

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I still dislike NA, even with the Classics styling. The only figure I think has been done very well is Intergalactic Skeletor, and yet he doesn't seem to be popular with NA fans.
    Due to the battle damage Faker head pack-in I actually opened NA Skeletor. He is displayed with a regular Skeletor head. I just cannot stand the NA Skelly head so it has been banished.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

    Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

  14. #14
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,819
    NA figures are shown in The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. It's the scene where the Rebecca DeMornay goes psycho on a bad kid outside.

    Fun NA tidbit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by notaniceboy View Post
    I hate NA, the cartoon is unwatchable and the character designs are bad. Maybe slush head and optikk are the best and still they don't compare. Nice writing thou : )
    Except for Artilla, Butthead and Staghorn. I think their Jetlag models look way better than their original toys.

    The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  15. #15
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Had NA been in the same scale as MOTU and they kept He-man and Skeletor looking as we remembered them, I may have accepted the line and the leaving Eternia (and everything else) behind premise. As it was, it looked like Mattel were just recycling He-man and Skeletor's names on a completely unrelated product. Those characters never were nor ever will be He-man and Skeletor to me. However, Classics has done much to redeem NA. The mutants even make it to my display!
    The looks of He-Man and Skeletor in NA were not something that Mattel came up with specifically for NA, putting the "He-Man" and "Skeletor" monikers on them as a marketing trick in order to sell something completely unrelated. They existed way before the concept of NA was even born, and they were a "natural" evolution of the MotU brand as it was evolving at that time due to the particular circumstances that the brand was in at that moment.

    NA Skeletor is essentially just a minor variant of the Laser Light Skeletor figure released in 1988 as part of the vintage line. Mattel design came up with this "redesign" of Skeletor while the vintage line was still being produced and nothing about NA existed yet. So he is basically a vintage Skeletor variant with some minor tweaks. If the vintage purists dislike NA Skeletor, I guess they dislike LL Skeletor as well, bacause they look almost the same; but ironically LL Skeletor is one of the most prized vintage figures. (Note the cartoon version of NA Skeletor, with eyes, green skull, etc., was a Jetlag-specific twist and not Mattel's original idea for NA Skeletor.)

    NA He-Man is basically what the son of He-Man was going to look like, before the early SoH pitch got discarded and its concept morphed into New Adventures and, instead of the son of He-Man going into space, Mattel decided it was just going to be He-Man himself going into space, to continue battling Skeletor for the next "space-obsessed" generation of children, once the older "barbarian-obsessed" generation had totally given up and grown out of the property. Ever wondered what's the deal with this "alternate" Dare variant looking just like NA He-Man that the MotUC comics have "pushed on us"? It's not that someone at the MotUC team came up with a novel idea for Dare as a cheap repaint of NA He-Man in order to save some bucks in tooling. It's that NA He-Man was in fact originally based on what the son of He-Man was going to look like originally. (Note Lou Scheimer's different pitch for SoH in the 90s, the one featuring Kay-La, etc., and the one upon which the fandom afterwards based their idea of Dare on when its bible surfaced, was a much later and unrelated thing and not Mattel's original pitch for a Son of He-Man continuation line/series.)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notaniceboy View Post
    I hate NA, the cartoon is unwatchable and the character designs are bad. Maybe slush head and optikk are the best and still they don't compare. Nice writing thou : )
    Except for Artilla, Butthead and Staghorn. I think their Jetlag models look way better than their original toys.
    Yeah, and Jetlag also introduced quite a few cool-looking original characters: Crita, Mara, Drissi, Grot, Meliac, Dreadator...
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    The looks of He-Man and Skeletor in NA were not something that Mattel came up with specifically for NA, putting the "He-Man" and "Skeletor" monikers on them as a marketing trick in order to sell something completely unrelated. They existed way before the concept of NA was even born, and they were a "natural" evolution of the MotU brand as it was evolving at that time due to the particular circumstances that the brand was in at that moment.

    NA Skeletor is essentially just a minor variant of the Laser Light Skeletor figure released in 1988 as part of the vintage line. Mattel design came up with this "redesign" of Skeletor while the vintage line was still being produced and nothing about NA existed yet. So he is basically a vintage Skeletor variant with some minor tweaks. If the vintage purists dislike NA Skeletor, I guess they dislike LL Skeletor as well, bacause they look almost the same; but ironically LL Skeletor is one of the most prized vintage figures. (Note the cartoon version of NA Skeletor, with eyes, green skull, etc., was a Jetlag-specific twist and not Mattel's original idea for NA Skeletor.)

    NA He-Man is basically what the son of He-Man was going to look like, before the early SoH pitch got discarded and its concept morphed into New Adventures and, instead of the son of He-Man going into space, Mattel decided it was just going to be He-Man himself going into space, to continue battling Skeletor for the next "space-obsessed" generation of children, once the older "barbarian-obsessed" generation had totally given up and grown out of the property. Ever wondered what's the deal with this "alternate" Dare variant looking just like NA He-Man that the MotUC comics have "pushed on us"? It's not that someone at the MotUC team came up with a novel idea for Dare as a cheap repaint of NA He-Man in order to save some bucks in tooling. It's that NA He-Man was in fact originally based on what the son of He-Man was going to look like originally. (Note Lou Scheimer's different pitch for SoH in the 90s, the one featuring Kay-La, etc., and the one upon which the fandom afterwards based their idea of Dare on when its bible surfaced, was a much later and unrelated thing and not Mattel's original pitch for a Son of He-Man continuation line/series.)
    All very good points ... but I (and I suspect many others) didn't know about LL Skeletor or the Son of He-man concept when I was a kid and NA just appeared on the shelves. NA appeared at the time to be an appropriation of two much loved names for a completely unrelated property. Thus were views formed about the property. Learning about (and acquiring) LL Skeletor and LP He-man in the late 90's didn't change my view of NA. Having LL Skeletor in hand confirmed that I don't like cyborg-Skelly. The Lasers are my least liked vintage figures.

    Knowing now that these were conceived evolutions of the main characters certainly throws a different light on NA in the MOTU context. I suspect its a reason why views have softened in favour of many fans now welcoming NA into the family.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

    Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Had NA been in the same scale as MOTU and they kept He-man and Skeletor looking as we remembered them, I may have accepted the line and the leaving Eternia (and everything else) behind premise. As it was, it looked like Mattel were just recycling He-man and Skeletor's names on a completely unrelated product. Those characters never were nor ever will be He-man and Skeletor to me. However, Classics has done much to redeem NA. The mutants even make it to my display!
    I think you've summed up exactly how I felt as a kid!

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I still dislike NA, even with the Classics styling. The only figure I think has been done very well is Intergalactic Skeletor, and yet he doesn't seem to be popular with NA fans.
    Actually, I've seen the exact opposite here on the org, regarding NA Skeletor - and as for myself, I love NA Skeletor - enough to have bought more than one!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior StrongLad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    140
    Interesting post! As a kid, I never really followed NA. I actually think I grew out of He-Man in general by the time it was on the air. But I did think it was neat that there was a new version. NOW though, with Classics, I'm digging every bit of it cause it expands the MOTU world and incorporates the characters using the same style figure. So it's all good!

    And that upcoming Darius looks like a BADASS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •