Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014/2015 - a few surprises

Heroic Warrior

2014/2015 - a few surprises

Recently posted on Ask Matty...

TOYGURU: For the record, since we have noted this many times. The plan for both 2014 and 2015 is to offer:

1) all vintage MOTU figs including variants
    2) all vintage POP original characters
    3) all A list NA figs
    4) a focus on A list media figures (animation, comics)
    5) a few surprises

2014 should look a lot like 2015. They are very similar. Two sides of the same coin. All of this of course pending we get a 2015!
    I am all for surprises. I'm really looking forward to them. It's been mentioned several times now that big surprises are in store for us, so I hope we get to see them at SDCC soon (Stridor and Mantisaur are my biggest surprise "wants").

My biggest concern is this...I hope they are ones that make sense and not another attempt to Shoe-horn in Dare and Son of He-Man. Because, Toyguru already noted several times that Dare and Son of He-Man wouldn't be part of 2014/2015. Plus, I don't see how something that never previously existed as part of the overall mythology/canon could be considered, "A-list".

posted March 04, 2013

TOYGURU: In the plan we hit all vintage MOTU and POP as well as key NA figures. We also hit character from other media that are major fan request ( ie Geldor, Shokoti, etc...)

What we don't hit are some of the NA more obscure toys and variants and some POP variants (ie Shower Power Catra, Too tall Hoove).

Obviously this is dependent each year on hitting the sub number etc, but if we get to 2014 and 2015, the revised roadmap should complete the major MIA characters including vintage toy characters. With rising costs, we want to maximize each slot. What you won't see until a potential 2016 line are characters like Illumina, Red Beast, Dare or Crimson Rose. (Unless of course any of those figs are in the yet announced 2013 slots).
    And, since none of them were in 2013, that means the earliest we should see Dare, or anything else from Son of He-Man or the new mini-comics is in 2016.

I bring this up, mainly because Toyguru already went against this by introducing his version of the Unnamed One in 2014, which he made part of the Son of He-Man era (it was originally a Preternia concept). Plus, King He-Man, another Son of He-Man character, was the exclusive the year before. So, I am concerned he will go back on his word again and bring in Dare, or Skeleteen, or some other made up character from the new mini-comics prior to the end of 2015.

As he has stated before, every slot counts and is being maximized to bring us new figures. That means the sub exclusive and monthly slots, as well as the quarterly items, add-on sub, convention exclusives, and even the chase figure. Characters like Masque, Darius, and Tuskador had to take a back seat for these two years. I'd hate to see a potential slot that they could have had, being used on a character we were promised wouldn't happen until 2016, at the earliest....

posted February 10, 2014

TOYGURU: But as said over and over, the roadmap for the next 2 years will focus on vintage MOTU and POP as well as A list characters from othe media like filmation and mini comics. After that, when we hit 2016 we would love to hit some Dare Son of He-Man types.
    Now, I am not saying Son of He-Man shouldn't be made, ever. I am just saying, Toyguru should keep his word. That's all I'm saying...stick to his word. If a person can't keep their word, then they give no reason to trust them.

NOW, that being said...if "surprises" means stuff like Stridor, or the Slime Pit, or Zodac's chair, or the Meteorbs...or even Evil Robot, THAT would be awesome with me. Mainly because those all have vintage roots and a lot more history and connection with the brand and the fan base, but are not the typical monthly figure. Plus, when the vintage figures are done, that doesn't mean everything vintage has been covered. If the opportunity is there to bring in more Filmation characters, or NA characters, or vintage mini-comic and other media characters, they should use it. "All Stars" will be fulfilled, but old school wishlists are far from it, for most fans/collectors. There are so many great "CLASSIC" characters available and any chance there is to make them should be taken advantage of.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; May 12, 2014 at 02:58am.

Heroic Warrior
    If a person can't keep their word, then they give no reason to trust them.

Well, based on this - be on the look-out for Dare on January of 2015.

"surprises" to me are things like the Filmation Hover Bots, or Crita, or Crystal Sundancer, or Dylamug, or Point Dread (please, oh PLEASE!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Grepicon View Post

Well, based on this - be on the look-out for Dare on January of 2015.
    Maybe not January

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dare as sub exclusive or traveling con Exclusuve or something like that.

Though, I don't know why they don't just bite the bullet and create a "Son of He-Man" separate toy line that just happens to use the same parts MOTUC uses.
    Last edited by bcrduke; May 12, 2014 at 03:18am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

The thing that bothers me about this list of TG's is the variants. Don't get me wrong-- I do want all the vintage MOTU variants eventually, but giving us 5 more variants next year is just too much (especially when 2 are He-Man, 2 are Skeletor and 1 is Hordak--who we're also getting a variant of this year). I really wish they'd save 2 or 3 of these variants for 2016. Even if the 2016 sub failed and Classics was ending they could still get in those final 3 vintage MOTU variants in a final con release or as quarterly figures (similar to DC figures this year). Plus this is a way of both wrapping up the vintage line in 2015 (by completing the vintage MOTU unique characters the same way they are completing vintage POP unique characters) and then making these variants something they could put into 2016 that still traces back to the vintage toy line.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather push at least 3 of those variants to 2016 and fit in 3 more "surprises" from NA, animation, or mini-comics into 2015 in those spots.
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Granita/Malektha
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    If the surprises are thingz like the Unnamed One, Nepthu, Cy-Chop, Sir Laser Lot, Spector or Scam-ation Hordak...
    Well they need a fast check on these pages... they keep playin' with fire.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

It'll probably be the 12" vintage figures. I foresee we will see the 12" Skeletor (of which we saw a prototype at NYTF) at SDCC this year. Maybe even as another MOTU but not MOTUC exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by Grepicon View Post
    Thats´true but to be fair everyone lies. It´s the nature of things.

Surprises….

Well the only real big surprise i can think of is Sky High and the Jet sled. No one spoiled that, no one seemed to know that one and it really was a great surprise.

Loo-Kee was a surprise and people reacted absolutely positive when they saw Broom.

So maybe we can expect good things.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Surprises could mean that 200X head pack, Sagitar, NA She-Ra or even Despara.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dare as sub exclusive or traveling con Exclusuve or something like that.

Though, I don't know why they don't just bite the bullet and create a "Son of He-Man" separate toy line that just happens to use the same parts MOTUC uses.
    that would quite **** me off. SoH as Scott has envisioned is antithetical to what was promised with MotUClassics. the designs are lazy and the story doesn't appeal to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorZartan View Post
    The thing that bothers me about this list of TG's is the variants. Don't get me wrong-- I do want all the vintage MOTU variants eventually, but giving us 5 more variants next year is just too much (especially when 2 are He-Man, 2 are Skeletor and 1 is Hordak--who we're also getting a variant of this year). I really wish they'd save 2 or 3 of these variants for 2016. Even if the 2016 sub failed and Classics was ending they could still get in those final 3 vintage MOTU variants in a final con release or as quarterly figures (similar to DC figures this year). Plus this is a way of both wrapping up the vintage line in 2015 (by completing the vintage MOTU unique characters the same way they are completing vintage POP unique characters) and then making these variants something they could put into 2016 that still traces back to the vintage toy line.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather push at least 3 of those variants to 2016 and fit in 3 more "surprises" from NA, animation, or mini-comics into 2015 in those spots.
    I agree with what you said here. Should there be another mini-sub in 2015 (highly speculative at this point based on sales), I wonder if the plan is to make it a variant sub. Cause really I don't see 5 monthly slots going to variants, and really 2 quarterly 2 packs of variants is too much.

YAY! Looking forward to the surprises!

I can see Skeleteen or Dare being an exclusive for a MOTU-centric mini-sub.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I would love a SOH or new Mini Comic mini sub next year. Bring it on!

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero View Post
    YAY! Looking forward to the surprises!
    I am no doubt looking forward to surprises. At this point of the line, some (not me) need surprises to keep the interest.....

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    Should there be another mini-sub in 2015 (highly speculative at this point based on sales), I wonder if the plan is to make it a variant sub. Cause really I don't see 5 monthly slots going to variants, and really 2 quarterly 2 packs of variants is too much.
    I've been theorizing the same thing, but it seems like a hard sell when 5 spots in that mini sub are 3 characters. Maybe they wouldn't have to sell as many since these figures would probably mostly just be reuse of the same heads/parts with just new armor?
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Granita/Malektha
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

Hopefully one of the surprises is Masks of Power demons
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I was surprised that we are getting all vintage MOTU variants...I guess I misunderstood all along. I thought we were only getting the remaining vintage and accessories to build variants of Hordak, He-Man, and Skeletor.

I have been thinking about who or what will be the sub exclusive for 2015 and I just felt it would be King Skeletor but now I don't know. I think it may be Calix since they may need a big lure to get the sub sales they need.

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    I hope those surprises are Granita, Vultak, Kol-Darr & Lady Slither.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodríguez View Post
    I hope those surprises are Granita, Vultak, Kol-Darr & Lady Slither.
    That would be a good start! Other characters like Hunga, Veena, Lizard Man or Prahvus would be very much welcome too!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I can't wait to see what comes out next.
    Does Galactus fart?

I welcome surprises! I love it when I love figures I never knew I needed or wanted - guys like Lighthope or the Snake Warriors!
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'd be fine with this.----^ Although unlike some here I've never been ardently against SOH being included in MOTUC.

Going one step further. The way I see it, MOTUC as the iteration we see currently may disappear as a 'form factor' by the end of 2015 anyway. Most likely to be replaced with smaller and perhaps even less articulated MOTU figures in order to maintain a reasonable price point. This 'shrinkifying' is already occurring on lines like Hasbro's Transformers movie product, so it's bound to occur on MOTUC eventually. So, if we don't get Dare, the remaining create-a-character contest winners, highly sought after variants or sideline characters, this may be our last chance in this form factor. BTW, I'm not saying I have any special insider knowledge about this. It just seems logical that MOTUC will eventually become too costly to support its size, numbers paint apps, number and type accessories, etc.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I would love a SOH or new Mini Comic mini sub next year. Bring it on!
    So would I, so, yeah, bring it on

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I was surprised that we are getting all vintage MOTU variants...I guess I misunderstood all along. I thought we were only getting the remaining vintage and accessories to build variants of Hordak, He-Man, and Skeletor.
    I may be mistaken, but I think you might be thinking of something mentioned a while back in one of the Ask Mattys (I believe. I can't track it down now). I think normal variants are going through, but it was mentioned that a couple of the POP variants, were nothing more than a different accessory (Shower Power Catra for example) so they might not get full remakes for the same figure with a different weapon.