View Poll Results: Should Mattel contact Nathan Bitner about Fearless Photog for MOTUC and work somethin

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Fearless Photog is long over due!

120 63.16%
  • NO! We don't need this figure in MOTUC.

70 36.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Mattel contact Bitner about PHOTOG and work something out?

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar

Should Mattel contact Bitner about PHOTOG and work something out?

Back in 1985, Mattel decided to run a contest, in which children from all over could submit their own Masters of the Universe character designs. The winner of the contest was suppose to have their figure produced in the toyline. The winner of this contest was a young boy named Nathan Bitner. His winning entry was a heroic warrior named Fearless Photog; a man with a video camera for a head who could drain villians of their evil powers (leaving only the good they had inside them behind.)

Unfortunately, Mattel never made the figure.

A few months ago, I read in a Q/A post by Toyguru that Mattel is unlikely to produced a Fearless Photog figure.

My question is this: Why doesn't MATTEL contact Nathan Bitner about doing a new Fearless Photog for MOTUC? If there are legal reasons for this, I am sure Mattel Legal could find a way to do this and keep both parties happy. Heck, Nathan is an artist and was a freelance designer on video games (Halo).... why not hire him as a freelance designer and allow him to modernize his original design for MOTUC?
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 30, 2011 at 05:06pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Yes. And hopefully he wouldn't expect Mattel to pay him for the design.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I know this is a touchy subject and all..........but if there actually was a prototype (made in pink and green colors,) then why need the permission?
    Awesome sticker not included!™ Blade=sad!

Coming Soon: Masters of the DC Universe

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    i never read about the features of that figure, what does it do? Laser canon instead of a head?

BTW: Isn't it massivly illegal to prize something and then not giving it?

PS:

Just look at the expiration date of this poll on top hahah we are running out of TIME!!

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yes. And hopefully he wouldn't expect Mattel to pay him for the design.
    I think it would be fair to expect Mattel to pay some money, if he was asked to help redesign the figure for MOTUC. If Mattel has the 4H come up with a new design on their own, with no input from Bitner beyond his original artwork, then I agree that he shouldn't expect any money for that because he was paid years ago. If they can involve him in some way though I think it would be good for all parties involved.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 30, 2011 at 05:07pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

If they never make him I certainly won't consider my collection incomplete on his account. But if they make him I suppose I'll pick him up.

Yes! Fearless Photog is a good character, enhanced by all the mystery that has surrounded him so many years.

Well we got/will get these figures that were NEVER made:

He-Ro
    Green Godess
    Eldor
    Barbarian He-Man
    Count Marzo
    Evilseed

(Fill in the blank if I missed any)

So why not Photog??

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    ignore this

YES!!! I want Fearless Photog! I think we are long overdue to see this guy, and I think Nathan (and the rest of us fans) would be thrilled to see him join the Masters after all these years.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Sure.. Make him..

Heroic Warrior
    Megalodon, you forgot King Grayskull.

As far as Fearless Photog goes, he can go straight to hades for all I care. I never like the idea of him.

It does make me wonder what's up with that kid. So he's an artist and works on video games? I wonder why he's not a member of this site?

If he is, I don't think he's ever identified himself.

Darth Bong

Sad Story

There's a pretty sad story about Bitner leaving Halo to start a new comany... that ended up with a vapourware company and nothing to show for it, and quite a huge personal debt built up on his part. Apparently he ended up joining the military to get out from under all of that debt. There's a little footnote at the bottom of the article below that mentions what he's doing now.

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/5224/
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    if he is done right he can be an awesome figure.

I'd love to see it but I don't think Mattel wants to get bogged down in any legal battle over the figure/contest. The minute he sees his figure is going to get produce he'll want a handsome payoff. Even though the the contest was years ago I'm sure there are still some legal issues that would need to be ironed out.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Wow! I just read that article. I never thought anyone would ever track Bitner down, that's amazing.

Sucks about his luck though. Someone should try and get his email and ask him some questions.

About Photog: I assumed that Mattel didn't need permission to make Photog since they basically obtained the rights to him in a contest. (More or less buying the rights to him with the prize money.) I don't understand why they would need to ask permission to make him, shouldn't they already have the rights?
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

I voted no, though I do not oppose making him. I just personally don't have any interest in him. But if he is made, I'm glad as well. He is an important part in MOTU-mythos.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    The winner of this contest was a young boy named Nathan Bitner...is an artist and was a freelance designer on video games (Halo)....
    Good to know!
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

I say bring it sometime way in the future of this line.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bong View Post

As far as Fearless Photog goes, he can go straight to hades for all I care. I never like the idea of him.
    This.

Maybe after they've made every POP, NA, He-Ro: Son of He-Man, and MOTU character that ever appeared in the toylines, cartoons and other media including Filmation, MYP, the movie, and all concept figures until they completely run out of characters... Maybe then I'd be ok with them making Photog as a bonus figure that I could just pass over.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

I know why FP never made it into vintage Motu and never will make it into MotUC. They couldn't turn his ability (ability to capture the enemy by taking a picture of 'em) into an action feature. Since there were no digital cameras back in the 80's there was no way to display the enemy on his chest . And now in MotUC we won't have action features and including as many brestplates as enemies would be too expansive .

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Mattel wouldn't have to contact Nathan Bitner. By entering Mattel's contest, he gave up the rights to the character. That drawing is even a rendering by Mattel, not Bitner's original art. He also received the other prizes (including $$ for college) and since they didn't sue Mattel over an action figure, I consider the case something of the past that does not need to be brought back up every year.

Bottom line here for me is that there is absolutely no need to make this character until all other valid MOTU/POP/NA characters are released first.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I say bring him on.... as the 2013 SDCC or Club Eternia exclusive.
    Up, Up, & Away!
    The Amazing Brian-Man of SpyMonkey Creations Inc.
    President & Founder of the Plundor Appreciation League

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Toyguru has already said that they would not be able to do Photog without further legal talks with Bitner - probably since the figure was never produced or something.

I PM'ed Toyguru with contact information for Nathan months ago and never received any sort of reply. I have a feeling there isn't any interest on Mattel's part.

And, of course, I want this figure made. While it is a bit 'goofy,' this is the perfect candidate for a collector's line. I would love to see this promised figure finally see the light.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

I remember when I was kid one of my best friends and classmate at the time who was a really good artist for a young kid won one of the runner-up prizes and they sent him a playset and couple of figures but I can't remember what he drew