Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Icer Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
    With the constant sell-outs and fan support, I suspect even the obsecure characters gets to be made.

Word! I can see that happen for all of us he-fans delight

I never really rated Icer as a character, although he's better than Strongarm, IMO.

If Mattel get the rights to Filmation characters, he's one that wouldn't need much re-tooling and no armour. So bring on Icer, I guess!
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

We won't be getting an Icer figure. He's Filmation and not a Mattel character, so unless Mattel purchase the Filmation character rights, we won't ever see Icer. I do hope someone can prove me wrong though because I'd like an Icer especially if it looks like this:

Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    With the constant sell-outs and fan support, I suspect even the obsecure characters gets to be made.
    word.

word.

You are not alone. I want Icer terribly bad as well...but it'll never happen probably.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

This is an incredible design. Toyguru stopped by another thread recently and in one of his posts he clearly stated that SCORPIA will not have a figure because she is a Filmation only character. It's rather tragic to accept the reality that a good sized handful of amazing characters will never see toy form.

But believe me: Should I ever win the lottery, I am definitely going to buy all the Filmation rights so we can all have Icer, StrongArm, SeaHawk, Scorpia, Octavia, Shadow Weaver, Madame Razz with Broom, and all the other off limit characters.....
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I don't understand, what is the difference between a Filmation character and what isn't? They are all He-Man characters, He-Man is owned by Mattel, thus, Mattel should own every He-Man character.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mattel doesn't own He-man and all the characters from the cartoons and comics. Mattel just makes the toys. They are a toy company!
    Accept the unacceptable.

If they could I would make his body out of translucent blue plastic as well as his weapons.

C'Mon how much would it be for them to LICENSE then instead of buying the rights...

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    This is an incredible design. Toyguru stopped by another thread recently and in one of his posts he clearly stated that SCORPIA will not have a figure because she is a Filmation only character. It's rather tragic to accept the reality that a good sized handful of amazing characters will never see toy form.

But believe me: Should I ever win the lottery, I am definitely going to buy all the Filmation rights so we can all have Icer, StrongArm, SeaHawk, Scorpia, Octavia, Shadow Weaver, Madame Razz with Broom, and all the other off limit characters.....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    C'Mon how much would it be for them to LICENSE then instead of buying the rights...
    Apparently quite a lot more than what Mattel could afford. Ask yourself the question - would you pay $30 + shipping for an Icer figure? How about $40 + shipping? Because you do know the license fees will be passed down to the consumers...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I don't understand, what is the difference between a Filmation character and what isn't?
    A filmation character is a character created by Filmation and not by Mattel. Therefore, Mattel do not have the rights to make these figures, unless there were already an existing toy of these filmation characters, e.g. Orko, Randor and Sorceress. Note: Adora was not created by Filmation but by Mattel.
    Last edited by Novelty; December 6, 2009 at 12:44pm. Reason: answerd Dr Kain's question
    Got Fur

Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor

You think so....

For once I want someone (Like maybe ToyGuru) to give us the REAL story....

Quote Originally Posted by Novelty View Post
    Apparently quite a lot more than what Mattel could afford. Ask yourself the question - would you pay $30 + shipping for an Icer figure? How about $40 + shipping? Because you do know the license fees will be passed down to the consumers...

If they could have got the license cheaply or easily, they would probably have done it by now since the line is a runaway success. The fact that they haven't indicates that it is not so easy to acquire the rights, whether it be outright purchase or a license or whatever, or that they aren't pursuing this avenue in favour of producing the characters which they already have the rights to (which I suppose is more likely). Mattel has stated since the beginning that they aren't making Filmation characters because they do not have the rights to them.

I stand by what I said - if they have to pay anything to acquire the rights to produce these figures, they will, more likely than not, pass the buck down to the consumer, which is us. And that will probably "kill teh lien".
    Got Fur

Other Wants:

Wanted: Icer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I just watched an episode of the original series that feature a character named Icer (well, mostly, as my copy of S2V1D2 is defective), and he is pretty bad ass. Why didn't he ever get a toy? Anyway, they need to do a Classics version of him!!! Hell, all they pretty much have to do is repaint Beast Man.
    Hey,me too! I was doing the same with my kids and I was thinking on a custom MOTUC Icer someone made a few weeks ago in the custom figure threads. Me wants an Icer!
    Ya Tengo El Poder!!!!!!

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Mattel doesn't own He-man and all the characters from the cartoons and comics. Mattel just makes the toys. They are a toy company!
    He-Man is a toyline, first and foremost. Mattel created the concept, and sold the toys. They licensed out the toyline to Filmation to make the show two years after the line started.

The fact is, Filmation had a good contract when they did the show, at a time when lawyers for Mattel probably didn't know exactly how aggressive they needed to be when it came to intellectual property rights. So any character Filmation created for the show that never made it to the toyline is their intellectual property.

But no one should ever think Mattel doesn't own this property. That's just patently false.

I want a Batros!!!!!!

id love some filmation characters. is the guy who owns filmation some mean old, wrotten grendel-looking man who lives in a cave in transylvania or something?

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I would love to get my hands on a MOTUC's Icer figure!! He is just one of the MANY great characters that deserve their likeness in plastic. I do agree that the Filmation rights must be relatively expensive for Mattel to have not picked them up already. With that being said, I'm confident that Mattel could make a killing on many of these awesome Filmation characters AND really make a ton of MOTU fans extremely happy. "If" Mattel had to tack on an additional $10-$20 per Filmation character to recoup some of the cost to acquire the rights, I would be more than happy to pay it! I'm sure I'm not alone on this. I do think that they would be able to turn a profit on these figures without a price hike, due to the TREMENDOUS sales they would generate. I'm hoping Mattel buys these rights within the year!!! It is fun to dream

Does anyone has a link to the custom ICER that was mentioned above? I would love to see it!

If there will be an icer I would love the fan 200X design above and ice blue translucent, something like this prototype:

If they could have got the license cheaply or easily, they would probably have done it by now since the line is a runaway success. The fact that they haven't indicates that it is not so easy to acquire the rights, whether it be outright purchase or a license or whatever, or that they aren't pursuing this avenue in favour of producing the characters which they already have the rights to (which I suppose is more likely). Mattel has stated since the beginning that they aren't making Filmation characters because they do not have the rights to them.

I stand by what I said - if they have to pay anything to acquire the rights to produce these figures, they will, more likely than not, pass the buck down to the consumer, which is us. And that will probably "kill teh lien".
    I still don't get it though, I mean why would it be so difficult to acquire character likenesses of a now defunct series? I mean, would it be such
    a burden to license only a few selected characters? As a consumer I
    wouldn't mind paying additional fees for a few characters that wouldn't
    otherwise get made under any other circumstances. I mean heck, why
    not just make it an exclusive or something?

Assuming it would be very limited as far as character selection is concerned,
    I definitely wouldn't mind a Filmation character here and there. Its not like
    Filmation or whomever is even doing anything with these characters so why
    not give it to Mattel who's currently doing something with MOTU, thats why
    I have a hard time fathoming why such obscure characters for a series off
    the air is hard for Mattel to get.
    Last edited by Azrael; December 6, 2009 at 05:29pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I still don't get it though, I mean why would it be so difficult to acquire character likenesses of a now defunct series? I mean, would it be such
    a burden to license only a few selected characters? As a consumer I
    wouldn't mind paying additional fees for a few characters that wouldn't
    otherwise get made under any other circumstances. I mean heck, why
    not just make it an exclusive or something?
    It wouldn't be difficult, and it wouldn't be beyond Mattel's resources to do it if they so chose. But it would be a waste of money to pick up rights to super-obscure characters when they have a couple hundred MOTU characters already that they fully own. If this line were a blockbuster hit, and they were runnig out of characters, maybe. But as it is it's a small line with a small fan base.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I still don't get it though, I mean why would it be so difficult to acquire character likenesses of a now defunct series? I mean, would it be such a burden to license only a few selected characters?
    Typically, that's not how things work. Rights come as a package deal, and licenses are all-encompasing. Mattel would have to either purchase the rights for the entire series and all characters, or license the same. There's no pick-and-choose about it.

As for why Filmation (or Classic Media according to Wikipedia) would make it difficult? Simple, they know there's money to be made. This isn't Lou Scheimer and Alan Oppenheimer we're dealing with here. Classic Media is a company who's sole purpose is to buy out other companies' creative endeavors for profit.

Its not like Filmation or whomever is even doing anything with these characters so why not give it to Mattel who's currently doing something with MOTU, thats why I have a hard time fathoming why such obscure characters for a series off the air is hard for Mattel to get.
    That's quite the point. Classic Media can't do *anything* with the MOTU cartoon except license it to other companies for DVD release, or sell back the right to Mattel. And with the cartoon having already been released by BCI when Hallmark owned the rights, no other company's going to be on the make for it in the near future. So the only way they're gonna make money of the series now is to get Mattel to fork over major cash for the rights.

Their hope is that Mattel is desperate enough to pay.
    Mattel's hope has to be that Classic Media will see Matty won't pay, they have no other prospects, and lower their price.
    It's the kind of stalemate that could keep lawyers at the table for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    It wouldn't be difficult, and it wouldn't be beyond Mattel's resources to do it if they so chose. But it would be a waste of money to pick up rights to super-obscure characters when they have a couple hundred MOTU characters already that they fully own. If this line were a blockbuster hit, and they were runnig out of characters, maybe. But as it is it's a small line with a small fan base.
    Couple hundred? Well I'm sure thats an exaggeration on your part, I still
    don't see how that would be a waste considering the fact that Mattel has
    stated that they will do characters from the MYP series who are just as
    obscure as Filmation created characters. I agree that Mattel should exhaust
    their characters before commencing to others, I just want to know whether
    or not they will once they have. Apparently if acquiring the rights were that simple
    then they would have already acquired it especially since the demand is there
    for those particular characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Typically, that's not how things work. Rights come as a package deal, and licenses are all-encompasing. Mattel would have to either purchase the rights for the entire series and all characters, or license the same. There's no pick-and-choose about it.

As for why Filmation (or Classic Media according to Wikipedia) would make it difficult? Simple, they know there's money to be made. This isn't Lou Scheimer and Alan Oppenheimer we're dealing with here. Classic Media is a company who's sole purpose is to buy out other companies' creative endeavors for profit.

That's quite the point. Classic Media can't do *anything* with the MOTU cartoon except license it to other companies for DVD release, or sell back the right to Mattel. And with the cartoon having already been released by BCI when Hallmark owned the rights, no other company's going to be on the make for it in the near future. So the only way they're gonna make money of the series now is to get Mattel to fork over major cash for the rights.

Their hope is that Mattel is desperate enough to pay.
    Mattel's hope has to be that Classic Media will see Matty won't pay, they have no other prospects, and lower their price.
    It's the kind of stalemate that could keep lawyers at the table for years.
    I see, makes sense. Hopefully we'll see something or hear something soon.
    To bad it always has to be about money, quite frankly I would figure that Classic
    Media would be content making some sort of money as oppose to just simply
    sitting on something and not make anything at all. thanks for elaborating Edge.
    Last edited by Azrael; December 7, 2009 at 10:11pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Aww Mattel should have acquired the licenses for all filmation characters back in the day. I just hope that some of those characters get a chance of bing made into the Motuc line.
    It makes sense that we costumers may end up paying more 5 or 10 dollars for a Filmation character which is really bad because these figures are already too expensive at 20$ a fig.
    But maybe I would pay 25$ or 30$ for a Shokoti, Lord Masque, Batros, Strong Arm, Shadow Weaver, Icer and maybe some other characters.

Somehow I doubt whoever is selling or licensing would sell or license for half a dozen figures. It's either the entire library or nothing. That's probably going to cost Mattel a lot more.
    Got Fur

Other Wants: