Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC at Retail Discussion/Speculation/Support Thread

MOTUC at Retail Discussion/Speculation/Support Thread

I am an English teacher, and I am teaching my 6th graders all about comparing and contrasting novels for story elements: plot, characters, conflicts; etc. So as an example I showed MOTU dvd episodes. I played the vintage "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" and 2002's "Lessons" to have students find the major sims. and differences.
    Most kids had no idea what MOTU was so this was a brand new experience for them. Most of them (I teach 100 students in 4 classes, so I'm saying at least 75 of them) thought the shows and characters were awesome! What they said however was really interesting. First off they asked about where they could watch the show... if they were still on CN or anywhere else. They were a little disappointed. Many of the students like the vintage cartoon better surprisingly. Reasons were: 1. The story was easier to understand. 2. He-Man seemed more powerful, they said in 2002 he relied too much on his sword, but in the vintage episodes He really had the power and seemed more heroic. Many did like the animation in 2002, but so many of them really liked the simplicity of the vintage show. Favorite characters? ALL OF THEM! It seems that if the show was put back on these kids would watch it... and I'm certain younger kids would find it to be even cooler. A media tie in could def. help to get these guys back in the stores.
    Last note.... All my classes are DYING to see how Keldor's face melted off... I'll hold a special viewing afterschool real soon for that.
    Oh and Lastly I got the Board Of Ed. to approve MOTU in the curriculum... that's just funny!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Yeah man, pass it on to the next generation...

That's awesome!

I only hope some day to see MOTU back at retail...

You sound like the coolest teacher ever!

Very cool to see that today's kids dig HE-MAN, both new and old. That's kind of comforting. I always tend to think that anything I liked as a kid is just too 'old school' for any kids to like nowadays.

I would love to see this line hit retail, and I do think it's possible at some point. Maybe not all of the characters, but I think some of them could make it. It's not like there are no other expensive action figures and toys out there.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

That's awesome, Rydell! I am a Pre-K teacher, and we have a lot of He-Man in our classroom. We only ever watch any cartoons on special occassions, but every Friday, I read them a MOTU storybook from my youth. We also have a vintage Battle Cat toy as well as the McDonald's Panthor and BC toys in our learning centers, and they are some of the most popular items in my classroom. (My vintage Panthor was laid to rest after an "accident," after which forum member Cilman mailed me his old Panthor toy.) (That particular gift is...awaiting repairs.) (Sorry, Cilman!)

I find that the morality and heart of MOTU lends itself to great use in classroom teaching, especially with my young kiddos. The variety of characters (including many strong females, which helps keep the girls' attention) also keeps them interested. Many times I have used MOTU to get the kids interested in a new subject, be it mathematics (How many snakes in Skeletor's room? How many eggs did Orko have left?), language arts (What letter does Teela start with?), or anything else.

We have an after-school program in my center as well, and many of the kids enrolled in it have been through my class or seen the toons during their time with me. I can safely say that I am confident that either toon would be a hit if it came back to TV with these children. I even think taht a toyline could do well, given some sort of push (such as rereleasing the cartoons on air or even a new toon/movie.)

MOTU definately has legs under it. I think, with the right shoes, it could go the distance. A toyine without commercial representation likely wouldn't do well, and we all saw what happened with 200X (for many reasons-I do not place all blame with Mattel). If a new toon or film was handled in a way mking the most of everything the property has to offer, I think a true come-back would be a given.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

I have no reason to believe why children today would not like He-man compared to the kids of the 80s. Then again, its not like the good ol 80s where we get the Saturday morning cartoons and weekday mornings and after school shows.
    Accept the unacceptable.

Good stuff peeps...keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    That's awesome, Rydell! I am a Pre-K teacher, and we have a lot of He-Man in our classroom. We only ever watch any cartoons on special occassions, but every Friday, I read them a MOTU storybook from my youth. We also have a vintage Battle Cat toy as well as the McDonald's Panthor and BC toys in our learning centers, and they are some of the most popular items in my classroom. (My vintage Panthor was laid to rest after an "accident," after which forum member Cilman mailed me his old Panthor toy.) (That particular gift is...awaiting repairs.) (Sorry, Cilman!)

I find that the morality and heart of MOTU lends itself to great use in classroom teaching, especially with my young kiddos. The variety of characters (including many strong females, which helps keep the girls' attention) also keeps them interested. Many times I have used MOTU to get the kids interested in a new subject, be it mathematics (How many snakes in Skeletor's room? How many eggs did Orko have left?), language arts (What letter does Teela start with?), or anything else.

We have an after-school program in my center as well, and many of the kids enrolled in it have been through my class or seen the toons during their time with me. I can safely say that I am confident that either toon would be a hit if it came back to TV with these children. I even think taht a toyline could do well, given some sort of push (such as rereleasing the cartoons on air or even a new toon/movie.)

MOTU definately has legs under it. I think, with the right shoes, it could go the distance. A toyine without commercial representation likely wouldn't do well, and we all saw what happened with 200X (for many reasons-I do not place all blame with Mattel). If a new toon or film was handled in a way mking the most of everything the property has to offer, I think a true come-back would be a given.
    Awesome!!! Yea kids like it, There is not much like it out there now.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I was an English teacher (and am soon hoping to return to it; I quit because I didn't think I was valued for everything I was doing) and I tried to incorporate MOTU as much as possible. I taught at the high school level, though, and it's harder to incorporate at that level, I think, rather than at the 6th or lower level.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Awesome job spreading the motu love. I bought the Filmation DVD's for my two girls ages 4 and 7 and they love it just as much as i did when i was their age. A year later and they still watch it weekly. I think if they rereleased the old tunes on tv they could get a large amount of kids interested in motu. When my duaghter takes her Motuc figures to school on share day all the other kids ask her where she gets them.

Wandering the abyss, in search of an alliance of consequence.
    I wish i would have had you as a teacher when i was in school. MOTU in class would have been Awesome.

Awesome! I teach 5th grade. A couple of years ago I brought in vintage season 1 DVD and had two of my Hispanic girls translate the spanish lyrics to the theme song. They were really interested in the show and I let them watch a couple of episodes. Turns out, they liked it so much, that they chose watching a couple of episodes every week as a reward when their spelling tests were A's or B's.
    The holding, the touching. Vaal has forbidden this.
    Five Year Mission
    Eisenhower Field Day

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I'm an educator, as well, though not a classroom teacher, and I'd be curious to see what older students, even college students, would think. Back in the day, He-Man was quite popular among the college crowd (so, yeah, I wasn't the only college student into it at the time).

Good to see our old Eternian friend is School Board approved. Also good to see folks finding innovative ways of getting the students engaged in the work.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Not and Educator, but my Son is 10, and he loves the MYP Cartoon and gets his friends to watch with him when they visit - and he loves MOTUC and can't believe how cool Scareglow is with the lights off!!

There isn't any reason why today's kids wouldn't go for an up to date He-Man show/story if Matty could be bothered to get off his backside and push one. I really wonder what they think is stopping them doing so, Kids are Kids, and even today's digitally savvy generation still need decent action/adventure stories to watch and get involved with.

Cautionary note: My Son really doesn't dig the Filmation Cartoon, and any time I try to interest him and his budiies in seeing some of where it all began TV-wise they want MYP back. Sorry folks - 200x won that one by a knock-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorthing View Post
    Not and Educator, but my Son is 10, and he loves the MYP Cartoon and gets his friends to watch with him when they visit - and he loves MOTUC and can't believe how cool Scareglow is with the lights off!!

There isn't any reason why today's kids wouldn't go for an up to date He-Man show/story if Matty could be bothered to get off his backside and push one. I really wonder what they think is stopping them doing so, Kids are Kids, and even today's digitally savvy generation still need decent action/adventure stories to watch and get involved with.

Cautionary note: My Son really doesn't dig the Filmation Cartoon, and any time I try to interest him and his budiies in seeing some of where it all began TV-wise they want MYP back. Sorry folks - 200x won that one by a knock-out.
    Not surprising. 10 year olds, especially in these days, are used to more mature shows. Filmation's MOTU was made for the younger audience. Show both versions to a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds, and they'd probably pick Filmation 9 times out of 10. Due to the difference in the target audience, comparing Filmation to MYP, is essentially comparing apples to oranges.

RyDell, Uki & noah-fett, you all rock. Your students are lucky to have teachers as cool as you guys. Keep it up. Long live MOTU!!!

Thanks man, u have to keep things fun!

Show some support for MOTUC at retail!

DCUC vs MOTU are coming out soon, and we already know that Mattel is closely watching the sales. Many people think that this is Mattel testing the waters to see how well MOTUC can do at retail. Everyone support these figures, and maybe MOTUC will come to retail on a more permanent basis, and we can be done with the garbage we've been getting from mattycollector.com!

Bringing this line to retail might fix some problems, but you better believe there would be a whole slew of new problems! This is better suited as a online, collector focused line for now.

I like my figures coming on the post.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I would like this entire line for sale at ToysRUs, like the DCUC 2-packs.

I have the 2010 sub and will get the 2011 sub, but I'm fed up with the following:

1) RSOD waits that are 20-30 minutes in total...which is longer than the sell out of figures.

2) People getting figures in their carts at 12 when they go on-sale and not gettign them due to being sold out already.

3) Shipping costs making it about $30 per figure, when they would be $15 in the stores.

4) Having to call/e-mail customer service at least 7 times to fix any problem.

5) Terrible paint issues on some figures.

6) Sub-cancellations.

7) Figures getting lost in the mail.

Stores would provide a wider-venue, cheaper figure, you could chose the best looking one in-store and you wouldn't have to wait in line 30 minutes or risk losing out the second they're put out.

If Mattel goes with ToysRUs as an exclusive retailer for this line, they could STILL sell the figures online doing pre-sales. That way, if people can't find them in-store or are in a country that doesn't have ToysRUs they can sign up for one.

Mattel would create enough figures to satisfy pre-sales and they would not have any overstock.

Perfection.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Believe me, I'm looking forward to the two-packs, as I said previously:

Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    First of all, I'm glad for this for many reasons:

• I can look over the figure to get one with good paint that's correctly assembled.
    • I can look for it when I have time, rather then being online at a certain website on a narrow window on a certain hour of a certain day in a certain month and hope that it's not sold out before I check out.
    • Production is going to be much higher and TRU makes it easy to find their exclusives, so I actually can buy them!
    • If the figure is defective, I can instantly return it for a refund or an exchange.
    • I don't have to pay 50% of the figure cost in shipping.
    • The twopack cost is the same as a single figure from Matty, but you get an extra figure and a comic, making it a far better buy for your dollar(s).
    • I actually don't have either figure (Superman/He-man).
    • No dealing with Digital River at all!
    • I'm a pre-filmation fan, so bonus!
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    THOUSANDS of potential new MOTU fans are in retail stores every day. Many of them don't even know how much they will love MOTU. Many have never even heard of MOTU.

Just get the goods to the shelves. The cheddar will follow.
    Isn't 1 year of simply STUNNING results at Matty enough to heat the cold feet of the suits at BARBIE inc???
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but somewhere in the mess of MOTUC information around the net I think Toyguru said they weren't planning any MOTUC at retail except for the 2-Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but somewhere in the mess of MOTUC information around the net I think Toyguru said they weren't planning any MOTUC at retail except for the 2-Packs.
    I believe you're right.

Besides…if they brought this line to retail that wouldn't change the under production issues.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

i don't think i want the MOTUC line at retail at all. it will be even more difficult to get them. at least we know when to go to matty site to get them right now.