Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 427

Thread: MOTUC at Retail Discussion/Speculation/Support Thread

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior RyDell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,921

    MOTUC at Retail Discussion/Speculation/Support Thread

    I am an English teacher, and I am teaching my 6th graders all about comparing and contrasting novels for story elements: plot, characters, conflicts; etc. So as an example I showed MOTU dvd episodes. I played the vintage "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" and 2002's "Lessons" to have students find the major sims. and differences.
    Most kids had no idea what MOTU was so this was a brand new experience for them. Most of them (I teach 100 students in 4 classes, so I'm saying at least 75 of them) thought the shows and characters were awesome! What they said however was really interesting. First off they asked about where they could watch the show... if they were still on CN or anywhere else. They were a little disappointed. Many of the students like the vintage cartoon better surprisingly. Reasons were: 1. The story was easier to understand. 2. He-Man seemed more powerful, they said in 2002 he relied too much on his sword, but in the vintage episodes He really had the power and seemed more heroic. Many did like the animation in 2002, but so many of them really liked the simplicity of the vintage show. Favorite characters? ALL OF THEM! It seems that if the show was put back on these kids would watch it... and I'm certain younger kids would find it to be even cooler. A media tie in could def. help to get these guys back in the stores.
    Last note.... All my classes are DYING to see how Keldor's face melted off... I'll hold a special viewing afterschool real soon for that.
    Oh and Lastly I got the Board Of Ed. to approve MOTU in the curriculum... that's just funny!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior kk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scheveningen, The Netherlans
    Posts
    989
    Yeah man, pass it on to the next generation...

  3. #3
    Always Hungry.... Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    3,487
    That's awesome!

    I only hope some day to see MOTU back at retail...

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior DC_WARLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Skartaris
    Posts
    1,189
    You sound like the coolest teacher ever!

    Very cool to see that today's kids dig HE-MAN, both new and old. That's kind of comforting. I always tend to think that anything I liked as a kid is just too 'old school' for any kids to like nowadays.

    I would love to see this line hit retail, and I do think it's possible at some point. Maybe not all of the characters, but I think some of them could make it. It's not like there are no other expensive action figures and toys out there.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

  5. #5
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    9,773
    That's awesome, Rydell! I am a Pre-K teacher, and we have a lot of He-Man in our classroom. We only ever watch any cartoons on special occassions, but every Friday, I read them a MOTU storybook from my youth. We also have a vintage Battle Cat toy as well as the McDonald's Panthor and BC toys in our learning centers, and they are some of the most popular items in my classroom. (My vintage Panthor was laid to rest after an "accident," after which forum member Cilman mailed me his old Panthor toy.) (That particular gift is...awaiting repairs.) (Sorry, Cilman!)

    I find that the morality and heart of MOTU lends itself to great use in classroom teaching, especially with my young kiddos. The variety of characters (including many strong females, which helps keep the girls' attention) also keeps them interested. Many times I have used MOTU to get the kids interested in a new subject, be it mathematics (How many snakes in Skeletor's room? How many eggs did Orko have left?), language arts (What letter does Teela start with?), or anything else.

    We have an after-school program in my center as well, and many of the kids enrolled in it have been through my class or seen the toons during their time with me. I can safely say that I am confident that either toon would be a hit if it came back to TV with these children. I even think taht a toyline could do well, given some sort of push (such as rereleasing the cartoons on air or even a new toon/movie.)

    MOTU definately has legs under it. I think, with the right shoes, it could go the distance. A toyine without commercial representation likely wouldn't do well, and we all saw what happened with 200X (for many reasons-I do not place all blame with Mattel). If a new toon or film was handled in a way mking the most of everything the property has to offer, I think a true come-back would be a given.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

    Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Agent-GHQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    241
    I have no reason to believe why children today would not like He-man compared to the kids of the 80s. Then again, its not like the good ol 80s where we get the Saturday morning cartoons and weekday mornings and after school shows.
    Accept the unacceptable.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior RyDell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    That's awesome, Rydell! I am a Pre-K teacher, and we have a lot of He-Man in our classroom. We only ever watch any cartoons on special occassions, but every Friday, I read them a MOTU storybook from my youth. We also have a vintage Battle Cat toy as well as the McDonald's Panthor and BC toys in our learning centers, and they are some of the most popular items in my classroom. (My vintage Panthor was laid to rest after an "accident," after which forum member Cilman mailed me his old Panthor toy.) (That particular gift is...awaiting repairs.) (Sorry, Cilman!)

    I find that the morality and heart of MOTU lends itself to great use in classroom teaching, especially with my young kiddos. The variety of characters (including many strong females, which helps keep the girls' attention) also keeps them interested. Many times I have used MOTU to get the kids interested in a new subject, be it mathematics (How many snakes in Skeletor's room? How many eggs did Orko have left?), language arts (What letter does Teela start with?), or anything else.

    We have an after-school program in my center as well, and many of the kids enrolled in it have been through my class or seen the toons during their time with me. I can safely say that I am confident that either toon would be a hit if it came back to TV with these children. I even think taht a toyline could do well, given some sort of push (such as rereleasing the cartoons on air or even a new toon/movie.)

    MOTU definately has legs under it. I think, with the right shoes, it could go the distance. A toyine without commercial representation likely wouldn't do well, and we all saw what happened with 200X (for many reasons-I do not place all blame with Mattel). If a new toon or film was handled in a way mking the most of everything the property has to offer, I think a true come-back would be a given.
    Awesome!!! Yea kids like it, There is not much like it out there now.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior triklops3eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wandering the abyss, in search of an alliance of consequence.
    Posts
    694
    I wish i would have had you as a teacher when i was in school. MOTU in class would have been Awesome.

  9. #9
    Vaal is Vaal. Vaal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    198
    Awesome! I teach 5th grade. A couple of years ago I brought in vintage season 1 DVD and had two of my Hispanic girls translate the spanish lyrics to the theme song. They were really interested in the show and I let them watch a couple of episodes. Turns out, they liked it so much, that they chose watching a couple of episodes every week as a reward when their spelling tests were A's or B's.
    The holding, the touching. Vaal has forbidden this.
    Five Year Mission
    Eisenhower Field Day

  10. #10
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,669
    I'm an educator, as well, though not a classroom teacher, and I'd be curious to see what older students, even college students, would think. Back in the day, He-Man was quite popular among the college crowd (so, yeah, I wasn't the only college student into it at the time).

    Good to see our old Eternian friend is School Board approved. Also good to see folks finding innovative ways of getting the students engaged in the work.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Motorthing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    918
    Not and Educator, but my Son is 10, and he loves the MYP Cartoon and gets his friends to watch with him when they visit - and he loves MOTUC and can't believe how cool Scareglow is with the lights off!!

    There isn't any reason why today's kids wouldn't go for an up to date He-Man show/story if Matty could be bothered to get off his backside and push one. I really wonder what they think is stopping them doing so, Kids are Kids, and even today's digitally savvy generation still need decent action/adventure stories to watch and get involved with.

    Cautionary note: My Son really doesn't dig the Filmation Cartoon, and any time I try to interest him and his budiies in seeing some of where it all began TV-wise they want MYP back. Sorry folks - 200x won that one by a knock-out.

  12. #12
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorthing View Post
    Not and Educator, but my Son is 10, and he loves the MYP Cartoon and gets his friends to watch with him when they visit - and he loves MOTUC and can't believe how cool Scareglow is with the lights off!!

    There isn't any reason why today's kids wouldn't go for an up to date He-Man show/story if Matty could be bothered to get off his backside and push one. I really wonder what they think is stopping them doing so, Kids are Kids, and even today's digitally savvy generation still need decent action/adventure stories to watch and get involved with.

    Cautionary note: My Son really doesn't dig the Filmation Cartoon, and any time I try to interest him and his budiies in seeing some of where it all began TV-wise they want MYP back. Sorry folks - 200x won that one by a knock-out.
    Not surprising. 10 year olds, especially in these days, are used to more mature shows. Filmation's MOTU was made for the younger audience. Show both versions to a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds, and they'd probably pick Filmation 9 times out of 10. Due to the difference in the target audience, comparing Filmation to MYP, is essentially comparing apples to oranges.


    RyDell, Uki & noah-fett, you all rock. Your students are lucky to have teachers as cool as you guys. Keep it up. Long live MOTU!!!

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior King Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,252

    Show some support for MOTUC at retail!

    DCUC vs MOTU are coming out soon, and we already know that Mattel is closely watching the sales. Many people think that this is Mattel testing the waters to see how well MOTUC can do at retail. Everyone support these figures, and maybe MOTUC will come to retail on a more permanent basis, and we can be done with the garbage we've been getting from mattycollector.com!

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior DarthBrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    445
    Bringing this line to retail might fix some problems, but you better believe there would be a whole slew of new problems! This is better suited as a online, collector focused line for now.

  15. #15
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    I like my figures coming on the post.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  16. #16
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,981
    I would like this entire line for sale at ToysRUs, like the DCUC 2-packs.

    I have the 2010 sub and will get the 2011 sub, but I'm fed up with the following:

    1) RSOD waits that are 20-30 minutes in total...which is longer than the sell out of figures.

    2) People getting figures in their carts at 12 when they go on-sale and not gettign them due to being sold out already.

    3) Shipping costs making it about $30 per figure, when they would be $15 in the stores.

    4) Having to call/e-mail customer service at least 7 times to fix any problem.

    5) Terrible paint issues on some figures.

    6) Sub-cancellations.

    7) Figures getting lost in the mail.

    Stores would provide a wider-venue, cheaper figure, you could chose the best looking one in-store and you wouldn't have to wait in line 30 minutes or risk losing out the second they're put out.

    If Mattel goes with ToysRUs as an exclusive retailer for this line, they could STILL sell the figures online doing pre-sales. That way, if people can't find them in-store or are in a country that doesn't have ToysRUs they can sign up for one.

    Mattel would create enough figures to satisfy pre-sales and they would not have any overstock.

    Perfection.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  17. #17
    Evil Sorcerer! Pravus Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,697
    Believe me, I'm looking forward to the two-packs, as I said previously:

    Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    First of all, I'm glad for this for many reasons:

    • I can look over the figure to get one with good paint that's correctly assembled.
    • I can look for it when I have time, rather then being online at a certain website on a narrow window on a certain hour of a certain day in a certain month and hope that it's not sold out before I check out.
    • Production is going to be much higher and TRU makes it easy to find their exclusives, so I actually can buy them!
    • If the figure is defective, I can instantly return it for a refund or an exchange.
    • I don't have to pay 50% of the figure cost in shipping.
    • The twopack cost is the same as a single figure from Matty, but you get an extra figure and a comic, making it a far better buy for your dollar(s).
    • I actually don't have either figure (Superman/He-man).
    • No dealing with Digital River at all!
    • I'm a pre-filmation fan, so bonus!
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

  18. #18
    Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Trap Jaw's Man Cave
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I like my figures coming on the post.
    Totally. I think having the entire MOTU line online, NOT at retail, and NOT as a subscription would work. Kids are online all the time and I think it's great that the core characters are finally available year round. Having EVERYTHING available online all the time would do good for the line. I would buy more figs. Wouldn't you???

    That opinion may not be very popular, but think about it. Retail lines come with any number of uncalculated possibilities. Since we're in the internet age and not getting out of it any time soon, I think having the figs at as many retail online outlets as possible is never a bad thing.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

    Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

    Support The Power & Honor Foundation

    Power-Con/ThunderCon

  19. #19
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,647
    I know my son prefers the simpler vintage MOTU figures to the more articulated figures currently being marketed for kids/collectors. He has a new Lion-o....just not the same. He also isn't that into all these new star wars toys either. I think for kids, they need to scale back. And now that He-Man and She-Ra are streaming on netflix I know there are ALOT of new fans. Kids are redescovering this stuff and loving it so I don't think it needs to have a new media revival to be successful.....it just needs to return to the roots. Leave the classics line out of the toy stores and to the collectors and go back to basics for the kiddies and I could see there being success.

  20. #20
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    3,935
    Retail?!?!

    Matty can't handle the line themselves. How in the world does anybody expect them to handle it at retail?

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,447
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    maybe MOTUC will come to retail on a more permanent basis, and we can be done with the garbage we've been getting from mattycollector.com!
    While I am gonna get these and today was awful, but I DO NOT want to go back to hunting. At least this way I only have to fight *******s once a month, even if they did win today.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  22. #22
    Always Hungry.... Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Snake Mountain
    Posts
    3,487
    Yes there are some bad things BUT the cost would go down,wider availablity, and those ******* trash would have to get a day job...You could still have the online and the retail...Why not?

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    612
    What if the offered it through Diamond as asst. of re-releases. that way small comic shops & small retailers could sell them.

  24. #24
    Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    What if the offered it through Diamond as asst. of re-releases. that way small comic shops & small retailers could sell them.
    I'm all for anything that helps out the comic stores!

    I will probably pick up at least the first MOTUC 2pack, maybe the second. After that they need to make me some new comics to get me to keep coming back.

    I will only pick 'em up if they're easily pick up-able. But hopefully, you will all let me know when they're there. I was a member back in the 200X days.. and I'm so happy when the board let me know that the Snakemen assortment was at Aldi's. I had never gone to the Aldi's in my town before, but picked up all the snakemen at retail with no problem all in one shot! It'd be cool to have a retail score like that again.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Wulff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    910
    Hmm, I think I'd prefer the line stay as online sales only, thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •