Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC at Retail Discussion/Speculation/Support Thread

I'd hate for them to sink a bunch of money into retail, have it fail, then scale back due to it 'not performing well'. Personally I don't think it'll do super well at retail. Sure the figures are great but kids won't know who they are and parents might recognize the main characters. Plus they are pricey. I just don't think it'll do as well as we all would like it to.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Plus, if MOTUC would go into retail, international fans would have huge problems of getting their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Plus, if MOTUC would go into retail, international fans would have huge problems of getting their stuff.
    we always seem to forget about our international fans
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Hot Wheels is a whole another thing all together, boys like cars, cars are every where, dads want sons to like cars.

Imaginext stuff is more of parents buying it for little kids, not a ton of little kids play with 7" action figures, and the Imaginext stuff has lots of play value, like the old MOTU lines that had action features.

Bakugan, i got no answer for that lol
    Parents aren't inclined to purchase "action figures" anymore...it's odd to hear...but that's my experience.
    Just look at LEGO...they are so popular...not only due to the franchising rights they've got with their sets...but also because parents don't mind buying them because they know of the "replay" value and it inspires creativity.

I have a daughter and I'd be more inclined to purchase a LEGO set for her than I would a doll. I would never try and sway her away from dolls...but if we're in the toy aisle I'd prefer her to choose something like a Lego set over a doll. She prefers the "girly" Lego sets anyways due to all of the little accessories and "pets" that they come with. She's only 2-1/2 but she is further along in her development than most and we sit together and put them together. She can read the directions and know where the pieces go with some help...the only thing she can't do is really push the smaller pieces together.

Bakugan is a card game isn't it? I know they have the little figures...but doesn't it revolve around a card game?

I would love to see Lego and Mattel get together for MOTU because, even if hardcore fans wouldn't buy it, just being Lego would introduce an entirely new generation into the MOTU franchise. Just look at Ninjago...and Bionacle...those sell/sold like hotcakes!...JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE LEGO!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Parents aren't inclined to purchase "action figures" anymore...it's odd to hear...but that's my experience.
    Just look at LEGO...they are so popular...not only due to the franchising rights they've got with their sets...but also because parents don't mind buying them because they know of the "replay" value and it inspires creativity.

I have a daughter and I'd be more inclined to purchase a LEGO set for her than I would a doll. I would never try and sway her away from dolls...but if we're in the toy aisle I'd prefer her to choose something like a Lego set over a doll. She prefers the "girly" Lego sets anyways due to all of the little accessories and "pets" that they come with. She's only 2-1/2 but she is further along in her development than most and we sit together and put them together. She can read the directions and know where the pieces go with some help...the only thing she can't do is really push the smaller pieces together.

Bakugan is a card game isn't it? I know they have the little figures...but doesn't it revolve around a card game?

I would love to see Lego and Mattel get together for MOTU because, even if hardcore fans wouldn't buy it, just being Lego would introduce an entirely new generation into the MOTU franchise. Just look at Ninjago...and Bionacle...those sell/sold like hotcakes!...JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE LEGO!
    OMG, to get a Lego Snake Mountain or Castle Grayskull would be crazy, Ive just started getting into legos for the DC stuff and man I am hooked

Snappy Threader
    I think the taste left for us from 200x and the DC two packs makes us afraid of retail for MOTUC. The Battle Armor Faker two pack would have sold amazingly well if made in enough quantity and been readily available instead of being exclusive, given that a lot of newer collectors of DC probably didn't have Bizarro, and a lot of MOTU fans have been wanting BA Faker for a long time. I feel like it did a good job of getting MOTU in the stores, but at the 29.99 price point, a lot of people turned away. Superman and Green Lantern have been shoved down collectors' throats for years in DCUC, and not many people needed them. Lex Luthor is a rather boring figure, who had just been released in a Supergirl two pack. Had they been wiser with the DC selection, I believe it could have done quite well. Mattycollector didn't help either by always having Mer Man and Stratos pop up in their crazy days sales. With 200x, all of the constant Batman type redecos killed it for sure. With at least 10 different He-Man and Skeletor variants, who needed them? Well I suppose I did because I bought all of them, but really. Back in the vintage days we had very few variants. Even with G.I. Joe, you go down the aisle and see three or four different Duke figs. Star Wars there are hundreds of Luke figs. People want new characters.

With the two packs, I get the Superman/He-Man pack. That was a wise nod to the original DC comics. But the rest, while I bought them except Faker which I didn't find, they just didn't appeal to DC collectors and with the price being so high, it didn't appeal much to other collectors either. I used to see all kinds of threads pertaining to whom we thought would make good two packs. It's really too bad Mattel didn't take heed in those postings. I understand they wanted to keep tooling at a minimum but come on. I mean instead of Luthor, give us the Super Powers Brainiac that was only available in the Super Heroes line. Instead of Green Lantern Hal Jordan, give us a different Green Lantern. I know they wanted to get him in there for the movie and all, but people already had at least 6 different Hal figs.

Scares me about retial because I fear it would be "well mom recognizes He-Man, so we gave him 14 different costumes to appeal". Well, all of the moms I know aren't going to buy 14 of the same character regardless if they recognize him or not. Also, I do agree, a movie or cartoon would be a must to get retail interest, and I'm just not confident right now that it would work out. Sorry about the long winded response, but as an avid 200x fan, I saw it kill that line way too early.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    The classics line won't work in retail. Collectors are not going to go after them because they already have them from Matty. TG is right that if MOTU is to go back to retail, they need a new media like movie or animated series. The price for a classic figure is too high for a parent to buy. They would have to be shrunk down to at least vintage size and they would have to have hooks to grab interest. I'm talking about the return of spring pulled punches and sound chips.

I kind of think a cool battle game with dice and a stand would be cool to throw with the action figures too. Each figure with his own stats.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

So many good points brought up already!

I hate to burst the OP's bubble, but I think a majority of us agree that a retail MOTU line without entertainment backing would be a tremendous failure.

#1 A retail line needs kids (and their parents money)... Sorry, but it's true. Kids require entertainment. Without a movie or a new cartoon, a retail line will fail.
    #2 Kids don't play with action figures/dolls as much as we used to. Legos or a video game provide a lot more "bang for the buck" these days.
    #3 Why would Mattel want to share profit with Wal Mart, when they get the majority of the profit now by selling online? Not in Mattel's best interest.
    #4 If MOTU went to retail, we would see a bunch of He-Man / Skeletor variants/repaints again. That is just the facts of selling toys to kids.
    #5 A $15 price point is a dream buddy! Most large action figures are retailing $18-20, depending on the store.
    #6 I'm too damn old for the hunt these days!
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe after the Classics line is done, They could re-issue a select group of figures in throwback packaging and sell them at retail. They already have the tooling, It would make sense to try and reach out to a younger group via toy stores. They don't have to cost $22 a figure at that point. At the most $10 or $12.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    So many good points brought up already!

I hate to burst the OP's bubble, but I think a majority of us agree that a retail MOTU line without entertainment backing would be a tremendous failure.

#1 A retail line needs kids (and their parents money)... Sorry, but it's true. Kids require entertainment. Without a movie or a new cartoon, a retail line will fail.
    #2 Kids don't play with action figures/dolls as much as we used to. Legos or a video game provide a lot more "bang for the buck" these days.
    #3 Why would Mattel want to share profit with Wal Mart, when they get the majority of the profit now by selling online? Not in Mattel's best interest.
    #4 If MOTU went to retail, we would see a bunch of He-Man / Skeletor variants/repaints again. That is just the facts of selling toys to kids.
    #5 A $15 price point is a dream buddy! Most large action figures are retailing $18-20, depending on the store.
    #6 I'm too damn old for the hunt these days!
    Cant agree with number 6 enough lol, I have a kid and Im old and work too much. I just want my toys sent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Maybe after the Classics line is done, They could re-issue a select group of figures in throwback packaging and sell them at retail. They already have the tooling, It would make sense to try and reach out to a younger group via toy stores. They don't have to cost $22 a figure at that point. At the most $10 or $12.
    and are you freakin insane? $10-$12 for a 7" figure? tooling or not, plastic still costs a ton, shipping still costs a ton, running a toy line still costs a ton, plus stores would be getting a cut, heck look at SW, a lot of figures get reused over and over and they are anywhere from $8-$11 each

You are really out of touch with the world if you think you will see 7" big heavy action figures for $10 or $12 LOL, god that was a great laugh

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    At this point, I would be fearful of MOTUC at retail, even with a movie or cartoon.

The problem isn't MOTU, it's mostly Mattel themselves. They would find some way to botch it. Even if it's releasing figures that the online fandom already has with fewer accessories, the distribution and ordering methods alone would kill the line off.

• Target not carrying certain JLU packs because of the DCPI number being the same as everything else; instead of ordering new stock, old stock is ordered.
    • DCUC being undershipped to so many places, super high prices like Young Justice
    • Stupid choices like not making the DC figures at least have a new paint job like the MOTU figures did in those two packs

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

mekaneckpain, go to Toys R Us and see how much 6 inch Captain America costs at the register.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    • Target not carrying certain JLU packs because of the DCPI number being the same as everything else; instead of ordering new stock, old stock is ordered.
    DPCIs are an internal Target-only code. Any order errors based on DPCIs is a Target issue, not a Mattel issue.
    The DPCI system fails when it comes to product that has a constant varying assortments.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Never going to happen. Mattel would not sell at discount just because the tooling cost has already been covered. Keep dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    mekaneckpain, go to Toys R Us and see how much 6 inch Captain America costs at the register.
    Toys R Us has much higher prices compared to Wal Mart & Target on a lot of items. Don't expect to see TRU survive into the next decade.
    Last edited by Kowl; March 21, 2012 at 12:31pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!

Problem is, TRU is a rip off.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Go see how much Captain America is at Target and Wal-Mart.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Problem is, TRU is a rip off.
    They are indeed a rip off. If you catch them at the right time they have DC, WWE and Marvel at ok prices if you get the buy one get one 50% off or catch them when they mark down the two packs by 10 bucks. Otherwise they are priced way too high, and 99% of the time their stock on the shelves are very outdated. A TRU in Louisville still has Skeletor/Luthor packs, and Spectre and Captain Cold DCUC figs from years ago. They hardly ever have anything new, and when they do offer those sales, they never restock half way through to make sure people get what is advertised.

Go see how much Captain America is at Target and Wal-Mart.
    I know how much they are, same as Transformers roughly, but not over $20 like MOTUC are, or would be at retail ($10 - $12 would be a little low yes considering the Thundercats are $13 - $15 for the 6")....as much as a rip off TRU is though, breaking the 2pks down leads to only $15 a figure. And to be honest $15 a figure is not a stretch to be paid in retail, and especially since shipping would not need to be an added cost. I would have bought 2 packs if they were MOTUC 2pks, but I didn't want the DCU, and paying an extra $15 for an unwanted figure, makes no sense. If they were MOTUC, and there was a figure I didn't like much in the pack, I would still buy it, because even ones I don't like, I could still appreciate for the details involved for $15 a figure.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    They are indeed a rip off. If you catch them at the right time they have DC, WWE and Marvel at ok prices if you get the buy one get one 50% off or catch them when they mark down the two packs by 10 bucks. Otherwise they are priced way too high, and 99% of the time their stock on the shelves are very outdated. A TRU in Louisville still has Skeletor/Luthor packs, and Spectre and Captain Cold DCUC figs from years ago. They hardly ever have anything new, and when they do offer those sales, they never restock half way through to make sure people get what is advertised.
    That is why I hardly ever go to TRU, the prices, and their selection is crap and old, I'm surprised they still don't have 80's stuff in the stock room, they have Transformers still from the old Universe line back in 2004, and their exclusives are way too over priced most of the time, I'm surprised they are still in business.

I have 2 TRU within 30 minutes from me, and one had like 10 Skeletor 2 pks, and like I said they still had Transformers from 8 years ago on their shelves, I think exclusives are wasted on TRU to be honest, they mark them up too much, and aside from TF Masterpiece or the Commemorative Universe reissues they recently had, all the other exclusives are still on the shelf today, still marked up too high to sell.....they refuse to clearance stuff is the problem why they still have all that old crap.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; March 21, 2012 at 01:28pm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

HD figures on youtube
    Sorry disagree, I think us MOTU fans want to believe that MOTU could still be big at retail, its just not true. For it to big at retail, kids need to be on board and with no movie or cartoon, kids are not going to care about MOTU.

Plus I dont want a retail line, at least not MOTUC, I hate hunting down crap now a days and no matter how good Mattel does with managing the line, it will not be as simple as just walking into walmart and just grabbing what you want. If they were that easy to find at retail, it would mean the line is not doing well.

Save retail for a movie line or some kind of repaints.
    I agree with you 100%, which is painful for me since MOTU is like my life, as sad as that sounds.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    It's not a good idea. Lack of new media will hinder the addition of new fans. No way the retail price will be much lower than the current online price of $22 (I'd guess $17-$18, and that's with bare-bones accessories).
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    It's not a good idea. Lack of new media will hinder the addition of new fans. No way the retail price will be much lower than the current online price of $22 (I'd guess $17-$18, and that's with bare-bones accessories).
    You are forgetting that the TRU 2 packs were $15 a figure if you split them up (which is funny considering the rip off they usually are), they would be lower priced because at retail they would be mass produced, so long as they weren't shoehorned in some store as an exclusive like the 2 packs were, retail would see a lower price than $22, especially in Wal-Mart & Target type stores, almost all the figures in those stores are around $15.

Thing is no one can gauge how well Classics would do at retail, because a TRU 2 pack with already tired DCU figures at $30 is too much for most MOTU only fans to pay for a figure they'll never care about, and not to mention, TRU is not as popular as it once was. Only way to gauge it's success is to put a few waves in multiple stores and see then....not just one store that can't seem to renew it's own stock from year to year, by keeping many things that are years old on the shelves.

I hate even going to TRU anymore to be honest, I buy online sometimes, but if not I buy all my stuff from Target, Wal-Mart & around here Meijer.

I don't think how things sell at TRU is a good gauge for any toys trying to sell at retail to go by.

And all the adults that remember MOTU from back in the day, would see them on the shelves in their Classic goodiness, and be like, now that's how I remember them looking, unlike 200X, and many don't even know Classics exists even today, I think new / old fans would get back into it, and remember most old fans have kids now.

Not all MOTU 80's fans know about MOTUC in 2012, but I'm sure with all the 'Classics" in stores now Transformers, Thundercats, soon TMNT....many will be looking for their He-Man too, and not knowing it has existed since 2008. If nothing else it could bring new fans to the online Classics.

I just don't see it killing the line like many think it will if it fails at retail.....it already failed at retail once, and here we are 2012 figures are still coming.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; March 21, 2012 at 03:57pm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Not all MOTU 80's fans know about MOTUC in 2012, but I'm sure with all the 'Classics" in stores now Transformers, Thundercats, soon TMNT....many will be looking for their He-Man too, and not knowing it has existed since 2008. If nothing else it could bring new fans to the online Classics.
    I just don't see it killing the line like many think it will if it fails at retail.....it already failed at retail once, and here we are 2012 figures are still coming.
    I feel your passion... I really do... BUT you are missing a key component to the puzzle.
    You have to realize, and accept, that the majority of the MOTU 80s fans have grown up and no longer care about toys.

I love when I hear stories of new fans "discovering" the Classics line and starting their own collection, but how many toy geeks (like us all) are still out there that don't already know about MOTUC? Most toy collectors are online and involved in various toy collecting forums/websites. MOTUC has been in the "toy news" since mid-2008. You think the word would be out to all interested parties by now.

Your examples aren't that strong either. TMNT has already had one previous failed relaunch. Thundercats isn't doing so hot. The toys are peg-warming at all the stores. Bandai has no new toys planned this year, as was proven at NYTF. Transformers/GI Joe is interesting to children because of the "blockbuster" movies.

I know you want to think that other adults (and a new generation of children) will share your love and passion for MOTU, but the cold, hard truth is it just isn't going to happen. We are a small niche, albeit extremely vocal and faithful, collector community.

In order to expand the current audience, the line needs a movie or a new cartoon. That would bring in a new generation of children and maybe a few new adult collectors.

Target charges $18 for DC Classics and Wal Mart charges $16. Target charges $16 for Thundercat Classics and Wal Mart charges $15.
    Both of these lines are not as detailed as MOTUC. MOTUC would be like $20 at Target, $18 at Wal Mart, $25 at TRU.
    Since it will never happen, this really is moot though
    Last edited by Kowl; March 21, 2012 at 04:20pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Shadowfall, many toy companies will price bundles for less than they would items sold individually. Cutting the 2-pack price in half and calling it a day probably isn't the most effective way of speculating on the price of an individual MOTUC retail fig.

The closest thing to MOTUC I can think of in the toy aisles right now in terms of accessories and articulation is the Thundercats line. Target.com has the Lion-O that is larger than MOTUC at $20 (Tygra is $17), and the one that is smaller than MOTUC at $15. Walmart has them at $17 and $15. The aforementioned TRU has them at $20 and $18.

Like I said, we're probably looking at $17-$18 in the unlikely event that MOTUC hits retail again.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Females would also be gone if these hit retail. No Star Sister variants in Wal-Mart toy aisles.

Females would also be gone if these hit retail. No Star Sister variants in Wal-Mart toy aisles.
    Females don't sell at retail... That is the truth... At least in the children's toy aisle.
    Kowl, the know it owl!

Shadowfall, many toy companies will price bundles for less than they would items sold individually. Cutting the 2-pack price in half and calling it a day probably isn't the most effective way of speculating on the price of an individual MOTUC retail fig.

The closest thing to MOTUC I can think of in the toy aisles right now in terms of accessories and articulation is the Thundercats line. Target.com has the Lion-O that is larger than MOTUC at $20 (Tygra is $17), and the one that is smaller than MOTUC at $15. Walmart has them at $17 and $15. The aforementioned TRU has them at $20 and $18.

Like I said, we're probably looking at $17-$18 in the unlikely event that MOTUC hits retail again.
    God the TC line feel so cheap in your hands and have bad paint jobs and have corners cut on them, please keep my MOTUC away from retail lol