Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC at Retail Discussion/Speculation/Support Thread

Is it conceivable that these figures could be released, at retail, in a smaller size? The current MOTUC figure is 6 inches tall, which does not test well with children.
    I'd love it if, after two more years of new figures, the line went to retail in a smaller scale that could accomodate more easily the castles and vehicles. Kids would love it.

Here's something to chew on: I was discussing with a friend recently why the 200X series didn't take off. I recalled the early 80's and how we had Conan the Barbarian, BeastMaster, and lots of sci-fi/fantasy films like Clash of the Titans in the recent years before the MOTU phenomenon happened. What did the boys focus on before the 200X toys came out? Not the same stuff, arguably.

Now, there are more movies coming out in that type of direction. Clash of the Titans is even getting a huge update! The boys of today are getting the taste of what it's like to be enthralled by the fantasy world stories again. I think a resurgence at retail is much more possible now than several years ago.

Just my two cents.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Heroic Warrior
    Let's just face it, folks : be it online (see current MOTUC sales) or in retail (see 200x), Mattel's marketing will always be as awful ! With different problems, probably, but awful nonetheless.

Except for a miracle that would make Mattel's marketing customer friendly and smart, I don't see how we could buy decent and available MOTUC figures, be it online or in the stores...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Continue buying everything they make until the line is over.
    I concur. Hopefully they will be 1/2 the price too, like Mattel's Movie Masters!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    if they do go retail i will still pretty much buy what i'm getting now which is three of each, and probably more of some characters for customs fodder. but if they go to walmart you can see alot of collectors drop the line simply b/c walmart sucks!!!

its scalper heaven, it was that way w/ the 200x stuff, marvel legends, star wars, transformers & now dcuc.

TRU could be a good place to call home for MOTUC but i'm happy w/ the subscription and getting my figs delivered to my door guaranteed!!!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Heroic Warrior
    I will buy them all as I am now!

Heroic Warrior
    Another very interesting question : if MOTUC goes retail, HOW LONG will it take for international fans to see MOTUC figures in their stores ?

As usual, international fans seem to be forgotten...

Buy them, and maybe more since I get to see the figs in person to decide if I like them... And I am pretty sure it will be easier than to fight it out over minutes online. And you can choose the best paint and/ or check out if there are factory defects.

I'll probably buy the ones I intend to open in the stores and buy the ones for MOC online.

Heroic Warrior
    Be disappointed that, instead of all the cool stuff we get now, we would be subjected to endless variations on He-Man and Skeletor.

Cry. I no longer have the time or the patience for the hunt. If they do show up at retail as their own line I pray the subscriptions continue on Matty. If not I may start buying them on eBay since paying twice store retail would be about the same as what I'm paying now.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Rejoice! Because I will actually be able to find them!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Here's something to chew on: I was discussing with a friend recently why the 200X series didn't take off. I recalled the early 80's and how we had Conan the Barbarian, BeastMaster, and lots of sci-fi/fantasy films like Clash of the Titans in the recent years before the MOTU phenomenon happened. What did the boys focus on before the 200X toys came out? Not the same stuff, arguably.
    The line from the early 2000's lacked the exposure of the original line. Advertisements were in plenty and I'd say it was a bit easier to find it in syndication back then. In otherwords, as a child we didn't have to pour through many channels to find it and where ever we turned, MOTU was there.

I have huge doubts that they will ever see retail in their current incarnation. Right now, Mattel is making all the profits on the line. If they go to retail, Mattel would have to sell them to the retailers at wholesale, which would drastically cut into the profits. Let's use the figures above that Wal-Mart of Target would sell them for $12. Assuming that to be true, stores like that usually make 30%-40% markup on regularly priced items (more if Mattel "buys" end cap space for visibility). That means that on a $12 item, Mattel sells it to them at about $9.23 (9.23 plus 30% of 9.23 is 11.99). Mattel would be making $10.77 LESS on each figure sold. Being it the gamble that it would be to sell these figures in mass quantities without a movie or cartoon to back them, I don't see Mattel doing it, even with their track record of poor decisions.

That being said, if there are major changes to the figures or the packaging (more than a "The Original" burst), I'd buy another of each...two of each if the figures were different enough. So unfortunately for me, that'd be 3-4 of each between the retail sales, and Mattycollector.com.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I would be rather pleased! It would give me a chance to start a loose collection. At the current price plus shipping, I can only afford one of each.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

What will I do? Save on shipping...........
    Jesus Christ Died For You

Heroic Warrior
    I'd have to pay more getting them off Ebay since I use public transportation and there are 0 toy stores in the city of Boston since FAO shut down. There is one Target but it's far from me and off the subway system so i'd have to get on a freakin bus. No Walmart.

So it would actually be worse for me but i wouldn't be tied to the sub at least and avoid getting some of the figures I don't really have a burning desire for.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I would be pretty ecstatic because that would mean there was a new MOTU motion picture!

Seriously though, although it would be cool to see MOTU in stores again, it would also be pretty scary. Mattel would likely over-extend itself and any resources that were reserved for Matty.com would end up being depleted. The online store would stop with MOTUC and focus on retail only. Sadly after a year or so of only finding Zodac hanging on the pegs, retailers would drop the line and the dream would be over.....

I really think that Mattel will stick with exclusives, much like the two-packs....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

no sir, i wouldn't like it. keep em online. line at full retail= suck
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

I'd get a job at TRU or target.

not really, i like the job i have.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post
    but if they go to walmart you can see alot of collectors drop the line simply b/c walmart sucks!!!
    Yes. Yes it does.

If MOTUC went retail I would still order online, if not through Matty then through BBTS. I would be guaranteed all the figures I want without searching from store to store and finding the same 2 figures over and over again.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; March 17, 2010 at 09:36pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What will I do? Save on shipping...........
    shipping = gas
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Agree. Here in Southern California it's a pain to find anything. A ton of collectors and s.c.a.l.p.e.r.s. Why waste time and gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    I hope it doesn't go to retail. Finding things in stores is a pain. Just ask DCUC fans. Or think back to the 200X line. No, I'd rather just order the figures from the comfort of my home than have to drive all over the place just to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    shipping = gas
    fo sho, and most likely cost more
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

I will countie to buy online form either Matty or BBTS and save on shipping if I can only get them form BBTS.

What will you do if MOTUC goes full retail?

Not be able to find them.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!