Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadow Weaver Loophole?

Shadow Weaver Loophole?

I was looking at me Secret of the Sword Comic adaptation today and noticed that Shadow Weaver was in it, I then decided to check to see who owned the rights to the comic and the only thing I found throughout the entire book is at the bottem of 1 page it reads " Mattel inc. All Rights reserved. Printed in USA" Since Mattel owns the rights to this comic could this be the loophole needed to get Shadow Weaver in MOTUC Filmation style with her name and all? I hope so that would be awsome if this is all they needed

I know that i read somewhere that Mattel was about to make a Shadow Weaver fig in the 80's but the POP line was scrapped. I'm sure Mattel has the rights to make her.

Mattel is too big of a company and MOTU is too small of a property for it to be worth it to them to exploit loopholes. The potential trouble is way too much of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    Mattel is too big of a company and MOTU is too small of a property for it to be worth it to them to exploit loopholes. The potential trouble is way too much of a risk.
    I'd like to disagree with this, but I don't think I can. Heh. Though it would be awesome if this would give them the loophole. Quick someone ask this question in the next QnA!
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    I'd like to disagree with this, but I don't think I can. Heh. Though it would be awesome if this would give them the loophole. Quick someone ask this question in the next QnA!
    You can ask all you want, but unfortunately they're just going to say they don't have the rights to Shadow Weaver. I'm still not sure I believe that line, but that's what they'll say.

Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    You can ask all you want, but unfortunately they're just going to say they don't have the rights to Shadow Weaver. I'm still not sure I believe that line, but that's what they'll say.
    Well, ya never know...
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru has said before they weren't interested in exploiting loopholes. Otherwise we'd be getting the Shadow wraiths from the 200x show that are completly fair game since they were in that cartoon.

My own personal theory is that they are interested in getting the filmation rights, and if they go around trying to exploit loopholes its only going to ruin the negotiations. So either they HAVE the rights... or they do NOT have the rights. And I don't really blame them. Why stir the pot like that for one figure?

Also I'm sure someone can (and will...) correct me on this, but I believe the story I heard was yes, mattel had the rights to everything back in the 80's, but in the last 2 decades had sold or let lapse a lot of them off. Hence the "Battle Fist" name change in 200x. That's why all those Star and DC and Ladybird books all say Copyright Mattel, but they no longer have access to them...

If they want them they have to buy them back...

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    ...and the only thing I found throughout the entire book is at the bottem of 1 page it reads " Mattel inc. All Rights reserved. Printed in USA" Since Mattel owns the rights to this comic ...
    Ah, but wait. Just because the comic has something on it crediting or acknowledging Mattel isn't itself proof that Mattel owns the rights to it. Remember that every Filmation episode also has "Copyright Đ 1983 (or some year) Mattel, Inc." in the credits, on the DVD packages, etc. And yet it isn't Mattel who owns those episodes, another company does. Filmation just used Mattel's property with permission and hence the copyright stamp. The comic book is likely the same story.

Mattel does own everything published in the minicomics included with the figures, but that's because Mattel was the distributor of those comics inside Mattel products. I don't think the "Secret of the Sword" comic ever came inside a Mattel toy package or anything -- it was a promotional giveaway to attendees of the movie, wasn't it? So I don't imagine Mattel can make claims along the lines of "We made this comic, so the copyright on it is ours," if some other entity distributed it, which would have been Filmation or whichever company Filmation worked with to put the comic out.

If I'm mistaken in any of the above, please do correct me. But based on how I understand it, there probably isn't such a loophole WRT Shadow Weaver, more's the pity.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Something tells me that they do, but are waiting to surprise us. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I've been wanting a figure of her ever since I was 6.

I've wondered about this exact same thing myself recently. This comic was made by Mattel not DC or Marvel so I'm confused why they don't have the rights to it.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

But didn`t they use the same type of loophole with Adora for MOTUC?

Scott (Toyguru), can you please address this before we start arguing and foaming at the mouth!! HAHAHAA

I wonder if it's possible... but who knows?
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I was looking at me Secret of the Sword Comic adaptation today and noticed that Shadow Weaver was in it, I then decided to check to see who owned the rights to the comic and the only thing I found throughout the entire book is at the bottem of 1 page it reads " Mattel inc. All Rights reserved. Printed in USA" Since Mattel owns the rights to this comic could this be the loophole needed to get Shadow Weaver in MOTUC Filmation style with her name and all? I hope so that would be awsome if this is all they needed
    Can you scan a pic of her?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I can! Give me a moment and I'll add it to my post.

Wait. No. I can't. I thought I had that one but I don't. I have another she's in put out by Marvel or DC I think.
    Last edited by Neutro; December 13, 2009 at 11:48pm.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Here ya go:

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Toyguru has said before they weren't interested in exploiting loopholes. Otherwise we'd be getting the Shadow wraiths from the 200x show that are completly fair game since they were in that cartoon.

My own personal theory is that they are interested in getting the filmation rights, and if they go around trying to exploit loopholes its only going to ruin the negotiations. So either they HAVE the rights... or they do NOT have the rights. And I don't really blame them. Why stir the pot like that for one figure?

Also I'm sure someone can (and will...) correct me on this, but I believe the story I heard was yes, mattel had the rights to everything back in the 80's, but in the last 2 decades had sold or let lapse a lot of them off. Hence the "Battle Fist" name change in 200x. That's why all those Star and DC and Ladybird books all say Copyright Mattel, but they no longer have access to them...

If they want them they have to buy them back...
    Wait am i hearing this right, they dont want to make the shadow wraiths as action figures? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Wait am i hearing this right, they dont want to make the shadow wraiths as action figures? Why?
    I was asking myself the same question when I read that comment, but the Shadow Wraiths maybe will be produced sometime, Mattel never said that they wouldnīt produce them.
    Maybe as some people said they want to have the full rights to filmation character library which is what I hope itīs going on already.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I really hope SW surfaces some day, but I hafta ask....how would she work in MOTUC Style? Shes just a static dress with arms, which is fine in a small character -Orko- but in a normal sized figure? I can see the 'articulation or die' faction arguing until the end of time!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior
    I think Battle Fist is because of Star Wars prequel character Kit Fisto. Mattel ignored the name for 15 years, so Hasbro got the trademark for it.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Well Mattel can create a new BUCK for the lady in red... and reuse it for Queen Marlena!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Well Mattel can create a new BUCK for the lady in red... and reuse it for Queen Marlena!
    I was thinking the same thing: Shadow Weaver's lower half could just use the same dress they'll use for Marlena's lower half (I'd always imagined Shadow Weaver does have legs under there so perhaps the legs are just slightly shorter than the dress....)

We've waited so long for a Shadow Weaver figure, and we can't wait any longer! Mattel, if you don't have the rights then get them please

I still think it's a possibility. Look at who's coming out in January - Princess Adora and she is wearing the same outfit as seen in the mini comics, just a few posts up. I don't understand why they wouldn't have the rights for a shadow weaver, but have them for Adora?

Not getting my hopes up on this one.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I think it will be a possiblility

If not, then just give me a Shadow Wraith. I'd be happy with that

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajac71 View Post
    I really hope SW surfaces some day, but I hafta ask....how would she work in MOTUC Style? Shes just a static dress with arms, which is fine in a small character -Orko- but in a normal sized figure? I can see the 'articulation or die' faction arguing until the end of time!
    I can see lots of possibilities for articulation on her, lets count:

1-Head/hood
    2-shoulders
    3-elbows
    4-hands
    5-waist
    6-knees (yes, she's wearing a dress, but she should still be able to bend both legs as one under the dress for those dramatic arching poses)

That's almost as much articulation as the other figures have, except for the feet, which you can't see anyways.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets