Thread: Digital River Shipping to Germany: Monthly vs. Quarterly sub

Heroic Warrior

Digital River Shipping to Germany: Monthly vs. Quarterly sub

Hi fellow German orgers,

I've just received my first quarterly shipment of the 2014 sub containing Hydron, Glimmer, Modulok, Two-Bad, The Unnamed One and the Horde Empire Map (which was torn ). I'm curious if the quarterly option is really cheaper. I'll list my cost for shipping and customs and I would appreciate it if the other German collectors with a monthly option could tell me what they had to pay for the same figures! Then I can decide if I would opt for quarterly again, if it were offered in 2015.

Items: Hydron, Two-Bad, The Unnamed One, Horde Empire Map, Glimmer, Modulok
    Shipping: 70,99 USD
    Customs: 25,40 EUR

Don't know if it's actually any use (because I have 2 subscriptions), but here's what I paid (DHL Express):

Jan:
    38,99 USD (shipping)
    6,91 EUR (customs)

Feb:
    49,99 USD (shipping)
    18,21 EUR (customs)

Mar:
    49,99 USD (shipping)
    7 EUR (customs)

So yeah, roughly double on shipping (weirdly enough not that much of a difference on customs), but, like I said, that's for 2 subs.
    Last edited by thebortster; April 26, 2014 at 02:39pm.

Court Magician
    Although these are the rates to Austria, I guess they should be the same to Germany.

Jan: 13.69 - no customs
    Feb: 21.69 - no customs
    Mar: 21.69 - no customs
    April: 13.69 - has not arrived yet

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for checking. It's hard to tell but i probably don't seem to save any money with it. Let's see if someone else has a comparison for prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
    Thanks for checking. It's hard to tell but i probably don't seem to save any money with it. Let's see if someone else has a comparison for prices.
    Is there any reason why you are using International Post? DHL Express is cheaper than International Post, so I don't understand why anyone would choose that on the quarterly sub?
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Is there any reason why you are using International Post? DHL Express is cheaper than International Post, so I don't understand why anyone would choose that on the quarterly sub?
    DHL had always delivered with additional customs and International only if the package was bigger.

But this year there have been no customs so far for me.

A have one sub and i´m buying additional stuff from DOS if i want another one to open up. Sub comes with international and it takes around five weeks to arrive while DHL takes three days.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    I always thought international post was cheaper. Not really interested in time, but saving money would be great. Can I switch the shipping option?

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    I always thought international post was cheaper. Not really interested in time, but saving money would be great. Can I switch the shipping option?
    I'm not German, I am in the states, But I DO know that we cannot change shipping options, if we could I would switch to UPS as USPS stinks. I know if I do 2015, I'll do UPS instead. I should have known better after Filmation augh. The post man put two Shokoti's out in plain sight even though the door said to leave packages with staff so both packages were stolen (mine and a friends) I ended up moving soon after as it was the last straw and came to in (was in CA) lol
    We need a Snake Teela and Critta in MOTUC! The snakemen and Space mutants are the only factions without a girl in them!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisLasek View Post
    I'm not German, I am in the states, But I DO know that we cannot change shipping options, if we could I would switch to UPS as USPS stinks. I know if I do 2015, I'll do UPS instead. I should have known better after Filmation augh. The post man put two Shokoti's out in plain sight even though the door said to leave packages with staff so both packages were stolen (mine and a friends) I ended up moving soon after as it was the last straw and came to in (was in CA) lol
    I'm pretty sure that DHL is more expensive internationally, at least when I occasionally checked when ordering additional stuff from Matty.

The my subscriptions website actually states to change shipping method, call customer service. I haven't tried yet.

I did the math back when I ordered my sub. The quarterly DHL option is actually cheaper than monthly snail mail delivery, including taxes! That's why I chose this option, and for having fast, trackable delivery. I got sick of never knowing when my figures would show up, which I did for 5 years.
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TuShan View Post
    I did the math back when I ordered my sub. The quarterly DHL option is actually cheaper than monthly snail mail delivery, including taxes! That's why I chose this option, and for having fast, trackable delivery. I got sick of never knowing when my figures would show up, which I did for 5 years.
    I luckily never had to worry about not receiving a shipment and I'm quite patient. too bad I can't directly compare the cost for the non DHL option. Maybe it's just seeing these quarterly totals that make me so sick, because international fans really have to spend quite a lot of extra money in general and it is more obvious when there's only one large bill every quarter.

I'm pretty sure that DHL is more expensive internationally, at least when I occasionally checked when ordering additional stuff from Matty.

The my subscriptions website actually states to change shipping method, call customer service. I haven't tried yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuShan View Post
    There is a certain point depending on how much is in the order where DHL starts being cheaper than International, I believe. The same thing happens with USPS vs. UPS Ground here. I would bet that with the amount of a quarterly shipment, it very well may push it over that threshold.

I'm constantly amazed lately in arrival threads when folks in Germany and other countries get their packages DHL way before I get mine here in the states, LOL, even with UPS Ground. Seems like it's a good option - and yes, Matty can fix it by phone (or even email) - although likely you will have to get up to Brady's level in order to get it to actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    There is a certain point depending on how much is in the order where DHL starts being cheaper than International, I believe. The same thing happens with USPS vs. UPS Ground here. I would bet that with the amount of a quarterly shipment, it very well may push it over that threshold.
    This is certainly the case with shipping to the UK. For a quarterly shipment it is cheaper (and much faster!) going with DHL.

DHL in Quarter 1 was:

1 sub = $58.99
    2 subs = $88.99

International Post according to yourself was $70.99 USD, which I'm assuming was for 1 subscription? So DHL would have been $12 cheaper and delivered within 3-4 days Though I have no idea about customs in Germany and how much is charged. I do know that in the UK, the customs fees are cheaper with DHL as their handling fee is £5 (vs the Royal Mail handling fee of £8) The tax is 20% of the packages value, regardless of the carrier.

and yes you can change shipping method by emailing customer service. I did it around September last year for my October, November and December shipments. They cancel your sub (s) and then re-order them with the updated shipping method. It was sorted within a couple of days and I had no problems at all.

You can actually check Quarter 2 shipping costs now on Matty, by adding Battlecat (to represent Battle Lion) and 3 random figures (to represent Blade, Scorpia and Extendar) to your basket and it will tell you how much shipping will be for those sized items shipped together. I have 2 subs and after checking I get $71.99 for 2 subs shipped by DHL.
    Last edited by blackiecats; April 28, 2014 at 04:21pm.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    DHL in Quarter 1 was:

1 sub = $58.99
    2 subs = $88.99

International Post according to yourself was $70.99 USD, which I'm assuming was for 1 subscription? So DHL would have been $12 cheaper and delivered within 3-4 days Though I have no idea about customs in Germany and how much is charged. I do know that in the UK, the customs fees are cheaper with DHL as their handling fee is £5 (vs the Royal Mail handling fee of £8) The tax is 20% of the packages value, regardless of the carrier.

and yes you can change shipping method by emailing customer service. I did it around September last year for my October, November and December shipments. They cancel your sub (s) and then re-order them with the updated shipping method. It was sorted within a couple of days and I had no problems at all.

You can actually check Quarter 2 shipping costs now on Matty, by adding Battlecat (to represent Battle Lion) and 3 random figures (to represent Blade, Scorpia and Extendar) to your basket and it will tell you how much shipping will be for those sized items shipped together. I have 2 subs and after checking I get $71.99 for 2 subs shipped by DHL.
    Thanks for your feedback! I actually wanted to write down the shipping difference bur forgot now. It's a great idea to check it like that. I'm going to switch to DHL, think it was just like 2 USD more in this case. Probably be cheaper in other constellations.