Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (10/15/2013)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (10/15/2013)

hordak.de

1. Roboto and Horde Prime both had hands that came off and could be replaced with weapons. Is it still possible to make Modulok's hands the same way? That would allow us to give him the arm attachments of previous figures and it would give us the option for future filmation accessories.

No, he is already in production and this feature is not included.

2. If the Classics line will continue in 2016, will you consider giving us all the figures that "lost" the fan choice polls? It would be great to get Illumina, Lord Masque and the two missing Galactic Guardians from the upcoming poll in that year.

It is always possible, but 2016 is too far off to make and comments at this time.

3. Now that Huntara is confirmed to be in the 2014-2015 lineup there will be a ton of display options for her. She could come with two heads (masked and unmasked) and a lot of weapons (laser swords, Ninja stars and more). If she comes with those laser swords, could you give them a handle so that Octavia can also hold them with her tentacles?

At this point she is too far off to be this specific, but happy to pass this suggestion along!

4. Scorpia is awesome! And like Octavia and the Troopers she is coming with a personal crossbow. Are there any options to get crossbows for Catra, Mosquitor, Shadow Weaver and Cy-Chop? Maybe as an additional crossbow set in 2016? Cy-Chop could even get two repainted Horde Prime crossbows for both arms. How cool would that be?

Nothing is impossible, but we don't have plans right now.

5. At Grayskull Con Scott was asked what he thought about the Sorceress being decapitated by Skeletor in the new comics and he said it was cool. Was that because an additional (200x) head for the Sorceress is in the plans and can now be swapped?

No, you are reading too much into Scott's comment!
    kastorskorner.com

Kastor’s Korner: With the Jet Sled released, can we finally see a vehicle flight stand? A stand with a plug for the Jet Sled or an alternate cradle for Battle Cat to pounce or Swift Wind to fly would be fantastic!

Mattel: At this time we don’t have plans for a flying stand. We are putting all of our efforts into putting out as many figs as we can to complete the A list characters.

Kastor’s Korner: If preserving the ab crunch is the reason why Modulok’s pelvis can’t separate from the torso, why have the ab crunch at all? Is this point of articulation that essential to this figure to be worth losing part of his action feature?

Mattel: Ultimately this was a choice made by design and it is final as the figure is now in production.

Kastor’s Korner: Seahawk’s molded shirt is supposed to be roomy and loose, but the figure ended up looking chunky, almost fat, unlike Fisto and virtually every armor wearing Master that came before him. Is Seahawk’s look simple the result of trying to create a looser-fitting chest piece on the figure?

Mattel: This may be an example of fans misunderstanding what Classics is all about. Sea Hawk is not based on his animated appearance. He is based on what a hypothetical Sea Hawk figure would look like had he been released in the 1982 MOTU vintage line, updated with modern articulation and deco. Much as Man-At-Arms, Clamp Champ and others are buffed up, so is Sea Hawk. Had he been avail in the vintage MOTU line he would have been bulkier and the Classics line is an update of this.

Kastor’s Korner: Issues such as Glimmer’s leotard, raised at SDCC this summer, were ignored after being acknowledged at the Mattypalooza panel. What is the best way for fans to communicate such impressions in a meaningful way, to avoid future outbursts like what occurred at Power-Con? The fans feel like Mattel isn’t listening when it comes to Princess of Power.

Mattel: It is not a case of not listening, it is often a case of fans asking for figures to look like the unarticulated prototypes which is not physically possible. Changes must be made when transitioning a figure from a proto to a real working figure made of plastic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.planeteternia.de/
    http://www.kastorskorner.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/hordak.de
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/
    http://www.he-man.de/
    ElkkThunders Toy Room
    MOTUClassics.com
    MOTULA.org
    http://www.preternia.com
    www.mintconditioncustom.com/
    greatrebellion.org
    toyhypeusa.com
    musclor.org

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

The Seahawks response is weird. I think one problem that some fans have had is that the plastic covering makes him look fat, like Snake Face. Could the covering have been thinner, so that he wouldn't look larger?
    Master Sebrian for MOTUC!

I understand what Scott was trying to say about Sea Hawk (and any other figure based off any 2D art or drawing). The figures aren't really made to look exactly like their cartoon counterparts, but they are made to fit into the Masters of the Universe Classics design aesthetics. The design team does the best it can to retain some semblance of the character's design, while making it fit well into Classics.

The figure is very accurate to Filmation IMO. The head alone looks like it was taken straight from the cartoon model sheet. An excellent rendering that stayed true even between prototype, close to final, and production!

Evil Master of Ducks Squishy Duck Man's Avatar
    The Sea Hawk answer is weak. Dekker looks buff yet not overstuffed. So in my best Nomad: "Non-sequitur, your facts are uncoordinated."
    Top 5 most wanted MOTUC figures: Lord Masque / Saurod / Mult-Bot / Angella / Sssqueeze

Happily invading Castle Grayskull with hippos is my true hobby.

1. Roboto and Horde Prime both had hands that came off and could be replaced with weapons. Is it still possible to make Modulok's hands the same way? That would allow us to give him the arm attachments of previous figures and it would give us the option for future filmation accessories.

No, he is already in production and this feature is not included.

Maybe for Multi-bot....

Kastor’s Korner: If preserving the ab crunch is the reason why Modulok’s pelvis can’t separate from the torso, why have the ab crunch at all? Is this point of articulation that essential to this figure to be worth losing part of his action feature?

Mattel: Ultimately this was a choice made by design and it is final as the figure is now in production.

I have always thought that the ab crunch was useless.....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I don't believe the Sea Hawk answer. A simple cover up for something they can't do anything about, and should have done better.

It honestly makes them sound bad when the answer that way. It should have at least included an apology for not being what the fans would have rather gotten, instead of telling us we don't understand what MOTUC is all about.

Very poor answer.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    I don't believe the Sea Hawk answer. A simple cover up for something they can't do anything about, and should have done better.

It honestly makes them sound bad when the answer that way. It should have at least included an apology for not being what the fans would have rather gotten, instead of telling us we don't understand what MOTUC is all about.

Very poor answer.
    No, he just doesn't understand the issue we are referring to. This better explains it:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ky-armor-issue

If he had snap-on style armor, he WOULD have looked bulkier. But I kinda doubt they would have made him that way. It's impossible to say but he probably would have had a unique torso piece; they reuse the torso way more in Classics than they did in Vintage.

It seems as if the reply to the skirt question missed the point. The insinuation is that Mattel doesn't always listen to meaningful and reasonable requests, and the question is how do we communicate these better going forward so that fights don't break out at future conventions. A more than adequate way to word it IMHO. Given that Ruben acknowledged/was told at SDCC that the skirt issue was a problem, but at Power-Con acted completely ignorant of his former assurances to look into the matter, it appears to fandom that something is getting lost in translation. Given this type of response, the question simply states, how can we go about this in a better way in the future, so we the fans aren't left feeling like you don't hear us. We get that you may not always makes the changes we suggest/demand, but to act like you've never heard them is what's most vexing. I still feel like this question deserves a better response then, fans aren't always going to get what they want.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Grief...we get two websites every two weeks now. Between Toyguru answering questions on Ask Matty, Mattel's usual antics getting on people's nerves and the dwindling popular character selection, the Q&As have really taken a hit.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Grief...we get two websites every two weeks now. Between Toyguru answering questions on Ask Matty, Mattel's usual antics getting on people's nerves and the dwindling popular character selection, the Q&As have really taken a hit.
    You know what gets on my nerves? I'm going to hop on my soapbox here for a moment, so if this is inappropriate feel free to remove it mods; That people INCESSANTLY accuse TG or Mattel of "lying". In some cases, most I wager, they read the question wrong or misunderstand what's being asked. But the out and out "TG/MATTEL IS LYING!" by .Orgers as has been present in the Glimmer thread since NYCC and elsewhere has started to wear on my nerves. Unless you can PROVE anyone is lying (and this would be as simple as providing a conflicting statement from someone in the past to the present and even THEN it may have been they ran into a production/logistics issue which forced a change in what they are saying), claiming they are lying borders on slander IMHO.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    I have always thought that the ab crunch was useless.....
    Totally with you! The ab crunch has ruined a lot of figures aesthetically for me. Thankfully it's not as bad in MOTUC as in some other lines, but it does seem unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    You know what gets on my nerves? I'm going to hop on my soapbox here for a moment, so if this is inappropriate feel free to remove it mods; That people INCESSANTLY accuse TG or Mattel of "lying". In some cases, most I wager, they read the question wrong or misunderstand what's being asked. But the out and out "TG/MATTEL IS LYING!" by .Orgers as has been present in the Glimmer thread since NYCC and elsewhere has started to wear on my nerves. Unless you can PROVE anyone is lying (and this would be as simple as providing a conflicting statement from someone in the past to the present and even THEN it may have been they ran into a production/logistics issue which forced a change in what they are saying), claiming they are lying borders on slander IMHO.
    Agree---^ I'm very seldom guilty of using this word as regards TG, but have done so when I feel it's appropriate. But overall I agree this word "liar" is well overused. Not everything involves a conspiracy and we really need to dial back the hostility. Just because we're sending these missives from behind a keyboard doesn't by consequence imply a lack of accountability. Would you call TG a liar to his face? If not, rethink.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Dear Mattel,

1. The Four Horsemen do not make unarticulated prototypes. Sure, they might not be toy-production ready, but they very much take articulation into account.

2. No one "misunderstands" what Classics is. Sea Hawk just looks fat.

Sincerely,
    Your Relatively Intelligent Customers
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 18, 2013 at 07:10pm.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Dear Mattel,

1. The Four Horsemen do not make unarticulated prototypes. Sure, they might not be toy-production ready, but they very much take articulation into account.

Sincerely,
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Word. Scott is a bigger hero to this line than He-Man himself. Ray Charles can see the dudes love and passion for this line. Because of him we have what we have with much more still to come. To call him a liar or to keep insisting there's a conspiracy (really? It's a toy line folks) is absurd and ignorant. Bravo Captain.
    Make Filmation Clawful. Come on, he's like a totally different character!

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Dear Mattel,

Sincerely,
    1. The Horsemen prototypes have joints, but they are not fully articulated. They don't compensate for all the realities of mass producing action figures. From what I've read, the skirt piece HAS to be a certain size in order for the machines that assemble them to be able to grip onto and attach the piece.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Sea Hawk doesn't looked bulked up, he looks overstuffed. It's not a feature, it's an error.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Lol. You might be best off if you tried getting over this if it happens so often.

Casually saying something is a lie, is simply saying it isn't true. I don't see "out and out" all caps yelling in this thread other than what's quoted above. I'd actually make this all small font to show how calm you can be if it wasn't so hard for people to read

I personally believe Scott when he says he's on the forum all the time, and I like to think a super fan and brand manager could get an answer right when they have ample time to compose it, and after all, it's one of few that he was cool enough to answer. But, would it hurt to figure things out? Otherwise you might as we'll let it go unanswered. Even though I do appreciate his efforts. And I do. Bravo.

If he got it wrong, no harm done.

When he specifically calls out the fan-base for not understanding the issue... do we think maybe he should, idunno, maybe have understood the question? It's not a big deal if he messed up. Nobody said Scott's not allowed to mess up. But he wasn't accurate is all.

Remember, casual conversation here. Nobody making "claims" or trying to "slander" the man.

I have no problems and nothing but love for our main man Scott. I don't have problems with orgers expressing themselves in there own vernacular, like the quoted reaction. Just sayin'.

The utmost point was the combination of calling out the fan's misunderstanding of a toy line they spend hundreds of dollars on with the non-apologetic nature of the response. If you make something funky, and you've asked people to pony up the cash in advance, and your customers disapprove, you can say you're sorry. It's not hard. It's not demeaning. It's not admitting a mistake, but instead simple recognition to the fan-base's dissatisfaction with the outcome. We don't need to hear anything that comes across like "deal with it". But a man in his public facing position understands that, even if some of us don't.

So I'm sorry Captain Piett if I aided in the need to vent. Please accept my apology.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Ok how about this, in the Q&A featured above, Scott, or someone answering for him, says that the prototypes that the 4 Horsemen create are not articulated. However, not only can you see that they are, Cornboy himself stated that they are articulated at the NYCC panel. Something is amiss here. I get that the prototypes that the 4H create are made of resin and have some key differences, but they are NOT non articulated.

Now here is what I am tired of. I am tired of answers being evasive, vague, and needing to be taken with the disclaimer "a certain point of view". Only Obi-Wan Kenobi can pull that and get away with it. I am tired of needing to be a telepath on the levels of Professor X to be able to tell if lies are being told or not. I'm tired of everything always needing to be answered in some kind of bizarre business-marketing speak that doesn't make sense outside of the walls of a corporate meeting room.

Now me personally, I avoid using the word "lie" since it causes so much drama. And since we aren't telepaths who can ascertain intent, I use words like "unethical". The wonderful things about ethics in the US is that the concept has become such a lost art that people don't really know how to respond
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Ugh. Long winded, "look how cleaver I am" replies are so boring. Can we get to the part where they make a Filmation Clawful now?? That's all I want.
    Make Filmation Clawful. Come on, he's like a totally different character!

Quote Originally Posted by Frightmare View Post
    Ugh. Long winded, "look how cleaver I am" replies are so boring. Can we get to the part where they make a Filmation Clawful now?? That's all I want.
    always loving the 'look how 'lame' I am when someone replies to me in a constructive manner' replies.
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

I think the biggest thing with the articulation of the prototypes is, if they are indeed fully articulated, are they fully posable? And therein lies the issue between the way something is sculpted, and the way the final figure is made.... You simply can't go by a non (let me reword this) posable (in the crotch) prototype?, vs a final fully posable (where every articulation point can have range of motion without cracking a resin loin cloth or leotard piece) figure we hold in our hands.

You can tell by looking at the prototypes, they are pretty much made to just stand there, not to be posed, not to be tinkered with....things do have to change from proto to final, and they may not all be good, some might not even be essential, but it does come down to one factor....the person in charge of final design, and if Mattel is happy with his work, and he claims that is the best he can do, unless it's Barbie or Monster High getting jacked up, you can bet Mattel won't care, no matter how many letters they get.

Being fully articulated, doesn't mean it's fully posable. It may have every joint intended, but can it be fully posed? That is the question.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    1. The Horsemen prototypes have joints, but they are not fully articulated. They don't compensate for all the realities of mass producing action figures. From what I've read, the skirt piece HAS to be a certain size in order for the machines that assemble them to be able to grip onto and attach the piece.
    Yeah, I basically said what you said in the first part of your post.

Where have you read that about the machines? I'm genuinely curious cuz I haven't see anything about that.

And why does it have to be that size for the females and not the males? Why can don't Bow and Kobra Khan have to have giant skirts as well?
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I think the biggest thing with the articulation of the prototypes is, if they are indeed fully articulated, are they fully posable? And therein lies the issue between the way something is sculpted, and the way the final figure is made....
    These are some good thoughts (the whole thing, not just the quoted bit), but at the same time I tend to lean toward the 4H knowing what they are doing, and Scott wanting to get the best product. I think they sculpt with the final product in mind (right?), and I think even though Mattel spokes people seem to cover things up, they'd still try to prevent the issue from happening again, so they don't have further cover-ups (not saying they are, but that there's motive either way to get the job done right). Which means asking questions, getting things done. But yeah who knows...

Like you say, there's a lot that can happen in-between. They've done plenty of things that obstruct poseability, and I generally think it was the right move. But it can even be at the factory level, and they say it can't be done for $X amount, and that's the end of the story. You never know. But they should try and be as forthcoming as possible, and some answers are inconsitent with other truths floating around out there. Like, in-hand figures and stuff.

But agreed, things change, they go through many hands, and it's not reasonable to have one person answer for the entire process. Sorry if that wasn't your exact sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    I see where you're coming from totally. But, Dekker looks great, and he was done in MOTUC style (I'm guessing anyways), and Marlena's crotch looks nice and clean (yikes). Now they aren't the same exact thing, but with them setting a better precedent, it's hard not to look in that direction for answers. Not saying they aren't entitled to a couple mistakes, but there's got to be a solution if they try hard enough to find it. And again, by now they (the 4H) know what they're working with, and they seem to be good at their job and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    No, he just doesn't understand the issue we are referring to. This better explains it…
    btw, yes I did read your thread. Very, very nice. I love how you approached it. Maybe I'm just overly assuming that Mattel is looking at stuff just like that. This is the go-to site for MOTU fan input, and threads like that are a great resource for concerns, and in this case, solutions. But above that, maybe I also expect too much for them to know their product in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frightmare View Post
    Oh, I missed something. Is this the waiting room or hang out thread for Filmation Clawful? Sorry you had to read all of this off-topic, unproductive nonsense.