Thread: So about these characters...

So about these characters...

So about these characters that didn't have toys before MOTUC but now do... what are the odds they follow the same agreement as characters like Orko or Prince Adam? By that I mean does Mattel now have perpetual rights to these characters like Shadow Weaver, Octavia, Fang Man? Or do they only have a limited window in which to use them before they have to re-submit for licensing? Im thinking its the former as they have used Fang Man on a comic cover and Shadow Weaver was in the new comics.. but we haven't really heard anything. I'm hoping these characters are now in the full MOTU stable so if/when we get a new cartoon we can get everyone on a similar design/detail level and really see some more cohesive designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    So about these characters that didn't have toys before MOTUC but now do... what are the odds they follow the same agreement as characters like Orko or Prince Adam? By that I mean does Mattel now have perpetual rights to these characters like Shadow Weaver, Octavia, Fang Man? Or do they only have a limited window in which to use them before they have to re-submit for licensing? Im thinking its the former as they have used Fang Man on a comic cover and Shadow Weaver was in the new comics.. but we haven't really heard anything. I'm hoping these characters are now in the full MOTU stable so if/when we get a new cartoon we can get everyone on a similar design/detail level and really see some more cohesive designs.
    I hope so!
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Don't bet on it.

After MOTUC, I doubt we'll ever see those characters, in those designs, again.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    An interesting question indeed. I suppose we will see.
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

I hope that Mattel is able to permanently retain the rights to make any MOTUC character in future ... but I wouldn't rely on appearances in the new DC comics.

Shadow Weaver was featured in both the vintage Star Comics and the UK comics but still not available for Mattel to produce in 200x or until they obtained the rights for MOTUC in 2012.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think that the deal with Classic Media covers all MOTU media in the present as a stall tactic. If MOTU ever gets popular with the general populace again, then Mattel might purchase the rights outright instead of having to make a partnership deal.

What is odd is that there isn't any mention of Classic Media anywhere on the packaging or comics rights info, unless I've missed it. Like Shadow Weaver used with permission of Classic Media or something.

Is there such a thing as Mattel (more likely the MOTUC team with their shoestring budget) buying characters on an individual basis?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Licenses such as this are virtually never done in perpetuity anymore. They are usually limited to a certain amount of time and/or a relinquishment after a stated amount of time in non-use. Classics Media's entire goal beyond just having a spiffy library was to put together such a library that was prime for licensing, which is why they focused on acquiring known commodities.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    never actually got that really whats the point of owing the characters when they cant make the show that they came from, also how come matell owns masters of the universe and all that entails and they have to pay toget filmation jetlag and movie rights which also disallows costumes and styles from those forms of media as well
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!