Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Frosta in MOTUC Discussion thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    CW's pic is the first I've seen that shows the ridges. That's just about the perfect compromise there; you can interpret them more as bracers like the toy or stylized versions of the cartoon gloves. Very well done.
    That's MYYYYY pic! *shakes fist* haha

Seriously though I agree. Perfect amalgamation of toy and toon. Bow was too far the other way.

Am I alone in not liking the belt? I think it needs to be two-toned. The design is great, but the powder blue isn't doing it for me.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Am I alone in not liking the belt? I think it needs to be two-toned. The design is great, but the powder blue isn't doing it for me.
    Not at all alone, Thats one of my three wishes for the figures final reveal, it needs contrast.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Frosta was the only other She Ra figure I had as a kid,(the other being She Ra of coarse) And I loved her!! But I gotta say, I'm not loving Classics Frosta like I wanted to. I am more of a vintage toy fan, rather than "Filmation/Style Guide". And I genuinely hate that the 4 Horsemen are favoring the Style Guide look for all the Princess of Power girls. Bow was perfect!! And they had the same opportunity to make Frosta perfect... and they kind of dropped the ball for me.

I'm very happy for the fans of the filmation look, but it's not for me. I didn't even see any of the She Ra cartoon episodes until I was in high school, so for me, the mini comics, and the figures were and still are the definitive look and feel of Princess of Power for me... especially Frosta. And I never understood why they gave Frosta bangs... her figure didn't have them, and they make her look awful in my opinion. If you like Frosta with head fringe, more power to ya. I do not care for it. And that part of the Classics figure, I can look past... not that big of deal. And for the most part, everything else is great. Wish her chest had more details... more of frosty/icicle look, like the toy... as opposed to the "cheap stripper at the north pole costume" look she has now... but i can over look that too. And seeing the gauntlets made me VERY happy!! I will be painting her hands flesh color, as I'm not a fan of the gloves look for Frosta. I also think her belt is amazing!! a beautiful nod to the vintage figure. Even the boots don't bother me. They look great! Wish they had a little bit more detail, but they look fine to me. I would also love for her to have a cape like Scareglow's, where it's solid on top, and by the bottom it's clear. Throw on a shimmery sparkle paint app... perfect!! And a clear, or clear blue shield, and I'm a happy boy!!

What I can't see to look past.... that face!! My lord!! She looks like Bucky the beaver had a love child with Jocelyn Wildenstein!! That face is Horrid!! And if you think it looks fine, you're lying to yourself!! Filmation DID make all the girls absolutely beautiful! Fact. That face sculpt is no where near the Filmation Frosta. Eamon's mock up was beyond perfect!! Somebody please email that to the Horseman... NOW!!!

I've never been more disappointed with a reveal. 99% of the time, I'm so happy with everything that Mattel and the Horsemen have given us. But this time, I had to come forward... because the figure I've been looking the most forward too... is a massive train wreck! Everything else I've mentioned above, isn't that big of a deal to me. Just my minor nitpicks.... but that face has got to go!! And no, a simple paint app is NOT the problem... that sculpt is messed the hell up!
    Last edited by JonnyTyler; February 21, 2012 at 02:34am.
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    The head for Frostra may look better on one of the other POP girls.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyTyler View Post
    Frosta was the only other She Ra figure I had as a kid,(the other being She Ra of coarse) And I loved her!! But I gotta say, I'm not loving Classics Frosta like I wanted to. I am more of a vintage toy fan, rather than "Filmation/Style Guide". And I genuinely hate that the 4 Horsemen are favoring the Style Guide look for all the Princess of Power girls. Bow was perfect!! And they had the same opportunity to make Frosta perfect... and they kind of dropped the ball for me.

I'm very happy for the fans of the filmation look, but it's not for me. I didn't even see any of the She Ra cartoon episodes until I was in high school, so for me, the mini comics, and the figures were and still are the definitive look and feel of Princess of Power for me... especially Frosta. And I never understood why they gave Frosta bangs... her figure didn't have them, and they make her look awful in my opinion. If you like Frosta with head fringe, more power to ya. I do not care for it. And that part of the Classics figure, I can look past... not that big of deal. And for the most part, everything else is great. Wish her chest had more details... more of frosty/icicle look, like the toy... as opposed to the "cheap stripper at the north pole costume" look she has now... but i can over look that too. And seeing the gauntlets made me VERY happy!! I will be painting her hands flesh color, as I'm not a fan of the gloves look for Frosta. I also think her belt is amazing!! a beautiful nod to the vintage figure. Even the boots don't bother me. They look great! Wish they had a little bit more detail, but they look fine to me. I would also love for her to have a cape like Scareglow's, where it's solid on top, and by the bottom it's clear. Throw on a shimmery sparkle paint app... perfect!! And a clear, or clear blue shield, and I'm a happy boy!!

What I can't see to look past.... that face!! My lord!! She looks like Bucky the beaver had a love child with Jocelyn Wildenstein!! That face is Horrid!! And if you think it looks fine, you're lying to yourself!! Filmation DID make all the girls absolutely beautiful! Fact. That face sculpt is no where near the Filmation Frosta. Eamon's mock up was beyond perfect!! Somebody please email that to the Horseman... NOW!!!

I've never been more disappointed with a reveal. 99% of the time, I'm so happy with everything that Mattel and the Horsemen have given us. But this time, I had to come forward... because the figure I've been looking the most forward too... is a massive train wreck! Everything else I've mentioned above, isn't that big of a deal to me. Just my minor nitpicks.... but that face has got to go!! And no, a simple paint app is NOT the problem... that sculpt is messed the hell up!

This is exactly how I feel. Can't be said any better. I love frosta but the head, is just not classics style and I would really wish they added in an extra vintage style head. This will be one of my favorite pop characters ever, but with that head I'm going to have to pass. Makes me want to quit collecting because now I'm worried that all the rest of my favorite pop core members will not look like classics anymore. I still can't get over this new style head. So far there's 2 forum members who did a great frosta figure. Much better than Mattel.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I disagree. I think we've numbed ourselves with female faces looking way too sisterlike in the line so far. She-ra looks a lot like Starla who looks a lot like Sorceress who looks a lot like Teela who looks a lot like Ponytail Queen Marlena who looks a lot like DCUC Supergirl! (The only two that broke that being EVIL LYN and Catra)

Love it or hate it, there is definitely a slightly flat face, generic 4Horseman female head sculpt.

What I love about Bow or Fisto is that they fit in the line but have that extra edge that makes them look very different from He-man or Duncan.

The customs everyone refers to for Frosta were REALLY NICE but used yet another generic face that looks like every other female character. (Except EL and Catra that had really different face constructions).

I love the fact that Frosta looks FOREIGN. Easter European? Perfect! She could totally look Russian. She's from the cold. She's the emperess to a distant frozen kingdom! Give her a different face. I'm all for that. I think that again, she does stand out because we've been accustomed to getting sister like female figures for so long. It is a legitimate reaction that some fans might find her a little different. But I can garantee you that once she's on your shelf, she'll set a new standard and you'll love her even more. More so, it will pave the road for more variety down the line. That's my opinion anyway!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Attachment 72902

I think this is the best Frosta.
    This frosta is my all time favorite. She is 100% classics style!

Ice to meet you!

I was looking at the Org's pics from TF and came across this one:

I'm having a hard time believing the 4H sculpted this hair. Seems either rushed, amateurish or simply unfinished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seriously? I think that is the most accurate to the source female hair sculpt we have gotten so far. I am sure someone can post a pic of it, but that is pretty much exactly how the back of Frosta's hair looks.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Veebs View Post
    Seriously? I think that is the most accurate to the source female hair sculpt we have gotten so far. I am sure someone can post a pic of it, but that is pretty much exactly how the back of Frosta's hair looks.
    I'm referring to the craftsmanship of the sculpt. The sculpt looks like it was pressed down or flattened. Also, the "hair" lines look wavy in an unfinished way. Blow up the pic to full size and look at the quality of the sculpted lines. It's sloppy.

I think the overall shape is fine, but the quality of the sculpt is not up to par.

Look at this example of Adora's hair, it's a wonderful hair sculpt. Clean lines, voluminous shapes...just great!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NorthCoast; February 21, 2012 at 01:49pm.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I disagree. I think we've numbed ourselves with female faces looking way too sisterlike in the line so far. She-ra looks a lot like Starla who looks a lot like Sorceress who looks a lot like Teela who looks a lot like Ponytail Queen Marlena who looks a lot like DCUC Supergirl! (The only two that broke that being EVIL LYN and Catra)

Love it or hate it, there is definitely a slightly flat face, generic 4Horseman female head sculpt.

What I love about Bow or Fisto is that they fit in the line but have that extra edge that makes them look very different from He-man or Duncan.

The customs everyone refers to for Frosta were REALLY NICE but used yet another generic face that looks like every other female character. (Except EL and Catra that had really different face constructions).

I love the fact that Frosta looks FOREIGN. Easter European? Perfect! She could totally look Russian. She's from the cold. She's the emperess to a distant frozen kingdom! Give her a different face. I'm all for that. I think that again, she does stand out because we've been accustomed to getting sister like female figures for so long. It is a legitimate reaction that some fans might find her a little different. But I can garantee you that once she's on your shelf, she'll set a new standard and you'll love her even more. More so, it will pave the road for more variety down the line. That's my opinion anyway!
    I agree with you Oulala, while I do think the eye "make up" was a bit heavy but I do like the uniqueness of her face. A lot of the females do suffer from a generic face, which was a problem with the vintage POP line. A lot of this comes from the fact that all most all the females are amazons, unlike the males who are a mix of humans and animals. In POP even the "animal based" characters like Sweet Bee, Flutterina, Mermista are all supermodels. That's why I want Octavia so much she is one of only a few females with a "creature" face. When all the females are amazonian they run the risk of looking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I was looking at the Org's pics from TF and came across this one:

http://he-man.org/assets/images/home...sta04_full.jpg

I'm having a hard time believing the 4H sculpted this hair. Seems either rushed, amateurish or simply unfinished.
    I have to disagree, I understand why you don't like Frosta's hair, I just don't agree. I like that it's different, not wind swept like so many of the other females. Not all females have hair with bounce and body, some have straight hair. I maybe mistaken but Frosta is the only character with bangs, which makes her unique. Like the 4H said this was a rough paint job, I'm sure the final figure will have a wash on the hair to add some more depth.

Before it comes up, as I'm sure it will, Glimmer's vintage figure did have a more unique hair style, and while I'm fine with curly hair and I hope Sweet Bee has curls, I personally don't like Glimmer with curls. Lets hope she gets a second head like She-Ra so we can all get the hair style we like.

I'm referring to the craftmanship of the sculpt. The sculpt looks like it was pressed down or flattened. Also, the "hair" lines look wavy in an unfinished way. Blow up the pic to full size and look at the quality of the sculpted lines. It's sloppy.

I think the overall shape is fine, but the quality of the sculpt is not up to par.

Look at this example of Adora's hair, it's a wonderful hair sculpt. Clean lines, voluminous shapes...just great!

http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content...adora_rear.jpg
    Frosta has flat straight hair, Adora has hair with body and bounce, this happens in real life.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough.

I'm not talking about the "style" of the hair, that's fine. It's the CRAFTSMANSHIP of the sculpt I don't like. Please look closely at it, it doesn't seem well done.

The lines in the hair are not clear, crisp and defined. They seem inconsistent and flattened in some areas.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough.

I'm not talking about the "style" of the hair, that's fine. It's the CRAFTSMANSHIP of the sculpt I don't like. Please look closely at it, it doesn't seem well done.

The lines in the hair are not clear, crisp and defined. They seem inconsistent and flattened in some areas.
    I totally understand what you are saying and I think part of it is due to this being painted and not molded in blue plastic. However, if the lines in the hair were deeper or more defined like Adora's it would make the hair look fuller.

Photobucket

The 4H sculpted just what long flat straight hair looks like in real life. Again molded in blue with a light wash to bring out the details will make all the difference.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    However, if the lines in the hair were deeper or more defined like Adora's it would make the hair look fuller.
    Ok, I understand what you are saying about her having "flat" hair and being different than Adora's. That's fine, I can agree with that, though I haven't seen her depicted with hair quite as flat as the pic you provided.

I still feel the quality of the lines sculpted into the hair are less than optimal, and a bit on the sloppy side.

If you follow the contour of some of the sculpted lines, you will see a lot of variance and inconsistency as if done by an unsteady hand. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by NorthCoast; February 21, 2012 at 02:24pm.

Ok, I understand what you are saying about her having "flat" hair and being different than Adora's. That's fine, I can agree with that. I still feel the quality of the lines sculpted into the hair are less than optimal, and a bit on the sloppy side.

If you follow the contour of some of the sculpted lines, you will see a lot of variance and inconsistency as if done by an unsteady hand. Does that make sense?
    I do see what your saying, there are a few lines that look messy. I really think that paint build up, at least I hope it is. We'll not know until we see a production sample that is molded rather than painted.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post

Fisto, Bow, Tri-Klops, Icarius and Frosta are all sculpted by the same person and are in the same style. They look like each other in the same way the females look like each other. Give Fisto a shave and he's Frosta. I'm joking about the last part, but you can see they are all done by the same person. The sculpt on these characters is less "smooth" and more rough or "gritty" looking, which gives them a bit of an attitude or makes them look weathered. Like they've been through some hard times and are slightly ****** off. It works perfectly for the male characters (especially Fisto). I think this helped more people warm up to Bow...because he looks like he might punch you in the face if you make fun of him now.

I really don't think this style works on Frosta though, because it makes her look kind of old. The uneven skin adds about 10 years to her face. She looks older than Queen Marlena, in my opinion. If her skin gets smoothed out, I think the sculpt is okay...except for the lips. Those are some might scary looking lips!

I do think this guy would be perfect at sculpting Kuduk Ungol, the Sorceress before Teela-Na. She's older and has a "weathered" face. His sculpting style is perfect for her.

Also, I thought Starla was one of the more unique faces. She has a very round, chubby cheeked face. She looks like a starlet from the 50's. She-Ra's face is more angular with sharp edges (the "heroic" square jaw). Starla's face is actually closer to Evil-Lyn's shape. Starla's eyes are different from She-Ra and Evil-Lyn though...as are all three ladies' eyebrows.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    ...Also, I thought Starla was one of the more unique faces. She has a very round, chubby cheeked face. She looks like a starlet from the 50's. She-Ra's face is more angular with sharp edges (the "heroic" square jaw). Starla's face is actually closer to Evil-Lyn's shape. Starla's eyes are different from She-Ra and Evil-Lyn though...as are all three ladies' eyebrows.
    I'm right there with you on this point, Starla has a lovely and unique face with more roundness to it. One thing I love about the Star Sisters in general is that they have the same style nose and general eye placement in respect to the bridge of the nose, like it is a genetic trait.

I'm diggin' Frosta though for all the reasons oulala stated. I don't really see a roughness other than the paint. I'd don't think her skin is sagging as much as I think her chin is not blended into her jawline like with some of the other lasses.

0.jpg

Even in this 3/4 angle face shot I see that she has a defined chin. It can't be seen in every 3/4 shot, some make Eamon's photoshop look more accurate. I've noticed her chin in some of the full face shots as well.

heart3a.jpg

I like her Classics face, but I understand it is not for everyone.
    Last edited by slackrguy; February 21, 2012 at 04:30pm.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I just wished they made an extra head like eamons classics style face. I mean alot of other figures comes with 2 heads. So this way we have the option to go for classics or Botox style. I would even pay extra just to avoid the new style head. It would surely make me more happy. I also hope they lighten up on the hair. It does make a big difference.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I get the same 'vibe' from the back of her hair as I always have from BG teelas Furry shorts....it looks less detailed and more amateur than the rest of the figures!

Look at the depth and detail in Tallstar and Adoras hair...then look at the 'Blocky' lines of Frostas!

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior
    Re: Face

I quite like the unique facial sculpt for Frosta. I think it's only the paint application which is spoiling the overall impressive "look" of Frosta's face.

Re: Hair

I don't see a huge difference between Frosta's hair sculpt and She-Ra's hair sculpt, except that She-Ra's hair is sculpted to look "fuller" and more "wind-blown". Frosta's hair appears to have been sculpted to look quite "fine" and "straightened". A better paint application on the hair may also help to highlight the sculpting of the strands of hair.

Re: Cape

Wow. That's the first time I've seen a picture of the back of Frosta's cape. I thought it was just a regular cape, but I love the unique "pleated" sculpt that has been used. It looks great and adds a unique element to Frosta.

I actually love Frosta's hair sculpt, it is different than the other females, but I think it is pretty accurate. I'm not crazy about all the extra long windswept hair.

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    I'm satisfied with Frosta's hairstyle, too, and besides, to me, her face looks very pretty! I like her MotUC figure and am looking forward to the release.

Wow, the back of the hair does not look good. I'm shocked that people like this. The entire head just looks very rushed, it is not on the same level as the other females that the Horsemen have sculpted. It almost looks like someone else did it. I disagree that all of the females faces look the same. The only ones that seem similar to me are Sorceress and Teela (mother/daughter) and Catra and Marlena have very similar bone structure.