Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1105

Thread: Frosta in MOTUC Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    There's barely any difference b/w that polly pocket thing, and the MOTUC figure. A lighter shade of blue, and whiter whites. Really not a big deal. I don't remember motu fans losing their minds b/c Fisto had dark brown hair instead of red. But if a PoP figure isn't exactly like the hundreds of needless photoshops--look out!
    The difference being that Fisto still looks good with his brown hair, Frosta doesn't look as good with the darker blue hair. I'm sorry there is a big difference between white and gray. Clearly Mattel knows this that's why the vintage and Polly Pocket figures have true white paint apps.

Don't act like it's only POP fans who complain about how MOTUC figures turn out. Example the red around He-Man's eyes, Clawful's head, Stinkor's forearms (a problem also seen in Frosta).

Just because something is not a big deal to you doesn't mean that it isn't to someone else. Respect is an important thing, lets all try harder to show to each other. It really does make for a happier forum.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    The difference being that Fisto still looks good with his brown hair, Frosta doesn't look as good with the darker blue hair. I'm sorry there is a big difference between white and gray. Clearly Mattel knows this that's why the vintage and Polly Pocket figures have true white paint apps.

Don't act like it's only POP fans who complain about how MOTUC figures turn out. Example the red around He-Man's eyes, Clawful's head, Stinkor's forearms (a problem also seen in Frosta).

Just because something is not a big deal to you doesn't mean that it isn't to someone else. Respect is an important thing, lets all try harder to show to each other. It really does make for a happier forum.
    HEAR, HEAR!

I´m totally on your side, not only because i´m a POP fan but i think in the FROSTA thread it´s absolutely satisfied if we point out stuff which could have been better at her Classics figure in our own opinion.

And for those who are happy, i´m happy for you but to help you see things the way i do:

If they did a He-Man with platin blonde hair, what would you think? That´s wrong, he never had that....?!(And remember what some people said when they took away Thunder Punch He-Mans tan....!)

Skeletors skin is lavender instead of blue? That´s wrong why would they do that?

And that´s the way i feel when i look at MOTUC Frosta.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post

Oh believe me, I know it's not just PoP fans. Basically the entire forum is just bashing on most of the figures on tap and it's tiring. But I was responding specifically to the Polly Pocket comments, and all the really pointless photoshops going on. This is Frosta, this is what we're getting. All these pictures only serve to add fuel to the misconception that there is now something 'wrong' with every figure.
    The Fwoosh reports Frosta as being white, not gray. It could have been better than off-white, but it actually looks pretty good with those colour-combos, imo.
    I disagree about Frosta's hair, I think it looks pretty nice.

Heroic Warrior
    I do like the Polly Pocket Frosta hair colour better.

But, the darker hair on MOTUC Frosta is slowly growing on me.

The difference in the "whites" is disappointing. It's also a shame that there are no more "bright white" POP figures to be made from memory, so even if it is something that could be corrected, we won't "benefit" from it.

There's barely any difference b/w that polly pocket thing, and the MOTUC figure. A lighter shade of blue, and whiter whites. Really not a big deal. I don't remember motu fans losing their minds b/c Fisto had dark brown hair instead of red. But if a PoP figure isn't exactly like the hundreds of needless photoshops--look out!
    The thing is that Frosta's entire gimmick is that she's the empress of snow and ice - therefore it's important to emphasise that by making her costume as white as possible. The dull grey just looks wrong for a snow queen.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The thing is that Frosta's entire gimmick is that she's the empress of snow and ice - therefore it's important to emphasise that by making her costume as white as possible. The dull grey just looks wrong for a snow queen.
    I totally agree. Like I just said to someone on FB, Frosta is an Ice Empress, she should look like newly fallen snow not snow that was plowed off the road 2 days ago.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Oh believe me, I know it's not just PoP fans. Basically the entire forum is just bashing on most of the figures on tap and it's tiring. But I was responding specifically to the Polly Pocket comments, and all the really pointless photoshops going on. This is Frosta, this is what we're getting. All these pictures only serve to add fuel to the misconception that there is now something 'wrong' with every figure.
    The Fwoosh reports Frosta as being white, not gray. It could have been better than off-white, but it actually looks pretty good with those colour-combos, imo.

I'm think it's great that you like Frosta the way she is. I'm not under the delusion that everyone here is going to like or hate the same stuff I do and vice-versa. It is always refreshing to 'hear' a different opinion.

But I think she could be better than she has been executed. The sculpt isn't at all bad, but some off decisions were made, and I plan to repaint and enhance her to my satisfaction. I am especially grateful to the photoshop work of other forum members, because they help give inspiration for what directions I can work with to customise her.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    I do like the Polly Pocket Frosta hair colour better.

But, the darker hair on MOTUC Frosta is slowly growing on me.

The difference in the "whites" is disappointing. It's also a shame that there are no more "bright white" POP figures to be made from memory, so even if it is something that could be corrected, we won't "benefit" from it.
    Netossa would benifit from a true bright white, rather than Mattel white. They have time to get her right at least!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Mattel "phones in" POP and 200X moreso than they will any vintage figure, so you're going to hear those fans bring it up. If Frosta were a MOTU character, she probably wouldn't have had most of the paint problems and would have been DEAD-ON. By comparison, Mattel doesn't seem to work as hard on POP and 200X figures, this time not even painting Frosta's back or making her hair match the Filmation colors, something the Polly Pocket people did better than the Masters of the Universe people. If fans did not speak out, Snake Man-At-Arms was going to be a new head popped on a repaint of the same body.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Just to comment on the "too many complaints" reply I hear around these parts...

...yes. There IS a lot of negativity here at the Org and it can be tiring. That said, I still think people should be able to voice their disappointment and not be written off as ungrateful or nuts when something they're looking forward to doesn't meet certain basic standards.

If anyone can tell me one GOOD reason why Frosta's back isn't painted when it should be, I'm happy to hear it.

To me, that kind of disregard for the figure and the customer is much, much more of a turn-off than say, a face-sculpt that isn't completely 100% perfect.

I may not have loved all the choices they made with Bubble Power She-Ra and Swiftwind (who can't become Spirit!), but I bought them, and I've enjoyed having them.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel "phones in" POP and 200X moreso than they will any vintage figure, so you're going to hear those fans bring it up. If Frosta were a MOTU character, she probably wouldn't have had most of the paint problems and would have been DEAD-ON. By comparison, Mattel doesn't seem to work as hard on POP and 200X figures, this time not even painting Frosta's back or making her hair match the Filmation colors, something the Polly Pocket people did better than the Masters of the Universe people. If fans did not speak out, Snake Man-At-Arms was going to be a new head popped on a repaint of the same body.
    I agree some of the PoP figures have been phoned in. She-Ra, Netossa, and the Star Sisters all are to some degree. But I don't think Frosta is in that category. Clearly they've done some experimenting, as well as tried to add toy elements to the filmation look.
    PoP figures aren't going to look 100% filmation. In fact the fans have spoken out about that pretty clearly.
    I'll go back to Fisto...he's always had red hair and beard. Now it's brown. That's a big change, yet the figure was praised as one of the best in the line b/c it just didn't matter that much. Frosta's hair is still blue. Now it looks icy. It's very cool. It's something just a little different...is that a bad thing? I guess it is for some.

200x figs aren't phoned in at all, in fact I'd say more effort goes into those sometimes than vintage.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Netossa would benifit from a true bright white, rather than Mattel white. They have time to get her right at least!
    That's true. I forgot that Netossa had a white bodice, gauntlets and boots. I thought that they were powder blue like the skirt, fans/wings and other areas. It would be great if Netossa ends up "bright white" as it will help to differentiate her colour palette from Frosta's.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veebs View Post
    I realized I forgot to take a picture of the Frosta Generations in our First Look, so my apologies if you like comparison pics:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...enerations.jpg
    I just find it humorous that the Polly pocket division NAILED her colors and Tones.....and The wing dedicated to MOTU...well...Screwd the Shadowbeast!

also I read somewhere that they were concerned about 'pure white' discoloring over time....um...the Vintage Frosta in that pic is 28 years old......Next excuse?
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; September 9, 2012 at 11:20pm.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

I agree some of the PoP figures have been phoned in. She-Ra, Netossa, and the Star Sisters all are to some degree. But I don't think Frosta is in that category. Clearly they've done some experimenting, as well as tried to add toy elements to the filmation look. PoP figures aren't going to look 100% filmation. In fact the fans have spoken out about that pretty clearly.
    Netossa is so Filmation that she lost her POP toyline headdress. Frosta's colors not matching Filmation are more of an issue than her actual sculpt is.

I'll go back to Fisto...he's always had red hair and beard. Now it's brown. That's a big change, yet the figure was praised as one of the best in the line b/c it just didn't matter that much. Frosta's hair is still blue. Now it looks icy. It's very cool. It's something just a little different...is that a bad thing? I guess it is for some.
    A POP or Filmation fan is probably going to care more about Frosta's hair color than someone with a more casual interest in the character. It's like that with Rattlor's armor. A vintage fan probably either won't miss the armor or wouldn't be fussed abiut the armor showing up in a weapons pak. A 200X fan might want a whole Rattlor variant. Casual fans might not understand the fuss over something the hardcore fans would want.

200x figs aren't phoned in at all, in fact I'd say more effort goes into those sometimes than vintage.
    200X has had some victories, but it has also had it's share of defeats in this line too.

With the exception of King Randor's gold original spear and Hordak's White bow, Vintage characters usually have all of their weapons and equipment. 200X fans have to get some of their stuff with other characters (Man-At-Arms, Strobo) or Weapons Paks (Keldor, Snake Man-At-Arms). Sometimes their stuff gets put on the chopping block (Grizzlor, Buzz-Off, Rattlor). Other times their figures get screwed up so Mattel has to make another variant to get it right (Battleground Evil-Lyn/Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn) or put it back on the drawing board because the first version was seen as a rip-off (Snake Man-At-Arms).

This stuff NEVER happens to Vintage 80's toyline characters. You'll never have to buy two Ram Man figures because the first one was a repaint of someone else. We'll never have to buy Gwildor to get another head for Modulok. Dragstor's back will be painted. Two Bad will most likely come with more than "just a shield". Clamp Champ's power pincer will never get put in a Weapon's Pak.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 10, 2012 at 12:14am.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    A POP or Filmation fan is probably going to care more about Frosta's hair color than someone with a more casual interest in the character. It's like that with Rattlor's armor. A vintage fan probably either won't miss the armor or wouldn't be fussed abiut the armor showing up in a weapons pak. A 200X fan might want a whole Rattlor variant. Casual fans might not understand the fuss over something the hardcore fans would want.
    I'm not sure you got what I meant. I'm just saying slight differences, something new, isn't all that bad if it looks nice. Apparently it doesn't look good to PoP fans. But I wouldn't be interested in the figure if it looked the prototype.
    As for all the 200x stuff: I forgot about Zodak (not just phoned in, but the worst effort in the entire line). But you're naming off a lot of vintage characters. Rattlor, Grizzlor, etc are vintage characters, not 200x characters. 200x characters are Marzo, Carnivus, etc, which is what I thought you meant. I was honestly baffled by your statement

Heroic Warrior
    I'll reserve judgement until I have her in-hand, but from what I can see in pictures I don't have an issue with her coloring. Even the translucent effect on the hair that I really objected to originally seems to have come out OK (though, yes, I would have preferred full painted hair if I had been designing the figure). The only thing on the final figure that I dislike is how it appears the cape attaches - it looks like it just sort of hangs there, with that U-shape that reminds me of the 80's Batman/Superman figures where the cape just kind of snaps on.

I think the reason I like her, and most MOTUC sculpts, is because I don't have some vision in my head of what every little detail of her should look like. I look at her, I see Frosta. That's what I want. Sure, once I see the artistic interpretation of her, I can (as I did above) say I'd make a little change here or there if I had designed it, but I didn't. This was someone else's artistic design, and I either like it, or I don't. In this case, in spite of the tiny changes I might have made, I like it, therefore she is going into my collection.

While I think feedback is great and obviously everyone gets to have their own opinion, I think it might do everyone a lot of good to stop designing characters so much in their heads, because no matter how great they come out, they can never match the exact wants of every single fan. They would have to make 100's of versions of each figure to match this image that people have in their heads about how it should look.

200X phoned in? Hmm... Not sure I agree. I guess it's time to whip out the old MYP/200X list! It needs some updating anyway:

King Grayskull 1.0
    King Grayskull 2.0
    Count Marzo
    Chief Carnivus
    The Faceless One
    Zodak
    Snake Man-At-Arms
    The Griffin
    Kobra Khan (2nd head, pet, adjusted details to the gun)
    Dekker
    Keldor
    Kronis
    Stinkor (2nd head, tanks, valve piece, mask)
    Snake Men 2-pack
    Fisto (belt, 2nd head, giant sword)
    Buzz-Off (staff)
    Sy-Klone (ring)
    Hordak staff
    200X Sword (w/MAA)
    Doomseeker (w/Tri-Klops)
    Whiplash (2nd head, 200X weapon)
    Mer-Man (200X Staff)
    Battleground Evil-Lyn (color scheme, 2nd head, staff)
    Moss Man (2nd head - arguable... vine harness - that was in the 4H 200X concept)
    Teela (sword)
    King Randor (sword, staff)
    Grizzlor (belt, extra weapons, weapons harness)
    Zodak 2nd head (coming with Strobo)
    Webstor (extra legs... weak, but it's something)
    Rattlor (long loincloth... weak, but it's something)
    Weapons Packs (recolored 200X sword; recolored Mer-Man gear)
    Mini Comics (King Miro appearance, Anwat Gar appearance, Veena appearance, King Grayskull appearance)

Plus, there are SO many 200X/MYP themes and plots running through the MOTUC story.

I think this is all great, but I don't think it's fair to say that 200X is phoned in, especially when you look at POP and NA.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    200X phoned in? Hmm... Not sure I agree. I guess it's time to whip out the old MYP/200X list! It needs some updating anyway:

King Grayskull 1.0
    King Grayskull 2.0
    Count Marzo
    Chief Carnivus
    The Faceless One
    Zodak
    Snake Man-At-Arms
    The Griffin
    Kobra Khan (2nd head, pet, adjusted details to the gun)
    Dekker
    Keldor
    Kronis
    Stinkor (2nd head, tanks, valve piece, mask)
    Snake Men 2-pack
    Fisto (belt, 2nd head, giant sword)
    Buzz-Off (staff)
    Sy-Klone (ring)
    Hordak staff
    200X Sword (w/MAA)
    Doomseeker (w/Tri-Klops)
    Whiplash (2nd head, 200X weapon)
    Mer-Man (200X Staff)
    Battleground Evil-Lyn (color scheme, 2nd head, staff)
    Moss Man (2nd head - arguable... vine harness - that was in the 4H 200X concept)
    Teela (sword)
    King Randor (sword, staff)
    Grizzlor (belt, extra weapons, weapons harness)
    Zodak 2nd head (coming with Strobo)
    Webstor (extra legs... weak, but it's something)
    Rattlor (long loincloth... weak, but it's something)
    Weapons Packs (recolored 200X sword; recolored Mer-Man gear)
    Mini Comics (King Miro appearance, Anwat Gar appearance, Veena appearance, King Grayskull appearance)

Plus, there are SO many 200X/MYP themes and plots running through the MOTUC story.

I think this is all great, but I don't think it's fair to say that 200X is phoned in, especially when you look at POP and NA.
    But you're noting all of the positive aspects (and I've acknowledged that there were some positive things). 200X has had some really infamous negative set backs as well, none of which would have happened if we were talking about vintage characters. That's something that both POP and 200X both have in common.

Widget

I agree with you 100%. It's extremely tiresome reading the loads of bashing and looking at all the fantasy toy-line posts ( where people photoshop how a figure "should" have looked ). I don't mind the "Mattel white" or the hair. I think once we have the figure in hand it will be amazing. If I did have one point of contention with Frosta, and I do, it would be that the back half of her bodice isn't painted. Some people seem to think it's meant to be like that, but with such an unsightly seam on the sides of the figure I don't see how that can be true. I still think she looks great, and I'm really excited to have her (she's my favorite POP figure too) but this is the first time I've seen an MOTUC look unfinished and it's worrisome.

Just a reminder - Per our rules, everyone is allowed to express their opinions, as long as they do so respectfully and along board guidelines.

Do not complain about complaining. All members have the right to voice their constructive concerns about customer service, quality control, company public relations, etc., and should be able to do so without fear of ridicule.
    Thanks!

I've been giving this thread a lot of thought, and I'd like to put in my two cents.

I do agree that her hair is too dark and personally I'd have preferred a lighter shade of blue as per the cartoon. However I do think that the use of translucent plastic was a clever idea! It's one of those "looks good on paper" ideas that wasn't executed the way fans would have hoped for, but brilliant none the less. I also like the windswept look that doesn't limit her range of motion; that was also brilliant.

I'm not a fan of the off white, but what would happen if the color pallet was changed now? A stark white would contrast the rest of the line and IMHO Frosta wouldn't fit in as well. Especially next to She-ra who has the same off white paint and technically they should both have the same shade. I think it would have looked better if the white was brighter, but at the same time she should blend in.

As far as the face sculpt goes Frosta is the first one I've liked as far as the women go. She has a very chiseled look to her and it works because of how she was drawn in the cartoon. She's got the high cheekbones, sunken cheeks and sharp chin that work for her, but this doesn't work for many others. Generally speaking women have softer features, and considering most of the POP line are female the fact that the female facial structure hasn't been perfected yet worries me. It took long enough to get a proper female body so now how long will it take to start seeing a more feminine face?

Overall I think she turned out beautifully. Not perfect, but none of them are.

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Wow, she really looks great! I just can't wait to get Etheria's beautiful ice-empress and add her to my MotUC collection!

That is the prettiest Frosta we have seen so far and if that´s the version we all get i´m happy(it´s also the grey-ish-tiest white we´ve seen but Frosta totally proofs whe can´t have it all.)

Yeah, if that's the Frosta that we are getting, she looks pretty good facially. Guess we have to forget about her Filmation cel art looks...

However, the big thing that still throws me is the gray instead of brilliant white.

It looks like her arms and hands CAN be swapped using the heat and pop method. No telling musculature screwing up that idea.