Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Frosta in MOTUC Discussion thread

I hope she comes with a second crystyalline "ice" arm.

The original concept for the character/figure gave her this kind of arm.

I also like the idea of her staff being white... Some of the foreign releases had the staff in white as opposed to blue.

She's a great character. I wouldn't mind them holding her hostage a while longer though...

There are other POP figures I'd love to see first... but that's like splitting hairs... I love Frosta!!

The Fwoosh article is excellent (as usual). I love that the writer is fully embracing these characters, and promoting them. This writer gets it. Reading it makes me wonder why some fans just can't get past the fact that these were part of a line aimed primarily at girls. That just isn't the case anymore
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    After watching the POP episodes I have to say Frosta is my favourite of the rebels (after Adora/She-ra), especially in the eps where she is in love with he-man

I would definetly but a Frosta figure when they finally release one

JAG2045
    Same here. Frosta was always a favorite because she travels like Iceman. Ice based characters are always the best. Frozone anyone?
    Plus she is head over heels in love with He-Man. The Adam part of He-Man's personality really came out in how he handled Frosta's attention.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I've been waiting for a new Frosta since the 2002 line was out; she's been one of my #1 wants since Classics started.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I love that episode where Frosta blatantly pursues He-Man. There's a great little moment in that episode with Frosta and Mermista where Mermista actually rolls her eyes in exasperation at Frosta's obsession with He-Man.

I didn't really notice at first that the bracers on the toy version have some detail to them. There's some sharp edges to them that recall the pointy trim on the boots she wears. I think if they incorporate that and the texture of the toy belt into the filmation design we'll be good to go. I'd like the white gloves and I would also ditch the style guide high collar and go with a choker cape like the MOTUC She-Ra. It would be cool if the cape could be clear plastic with a light blue 'frost' over spray.

I like the ideas in the article for a secondary accessory. I think an 'ice' shield would be a great inclusion. I'd also like to see a 'spellcasting' hand (not the catra claw hand, though, something with with more straightened and splayed fingers) to indicate she is using her ice powers.

I hope they do not just give her those boring plane gloves others have asked for. The toy had cool arm bands that looked like shards of ice, and I think that will look way better on her while not forcing them to sculpt gloved hands (which I doubt they'll do anyway).

I don't mind dropping the collar on the toy, if for no better reason than that it would interfere with the hair. I suspect she'll be far more Filmation than toy regardless, but I hope they bring in the details from her toy version's boots.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    My wish for Frosta:

- Filmation head
    - Styleguide wand
    - Filmation boot tops (the jagged part)
    - Toy lower boots (the jagged part on her shins)
    - Toy ice shard bracelets (Jewelstar arm re-use actually might work nice here to give her a neat ice feel...they could be frosted white)
    - Toy or Styleguide ice cape and toy skirt (again, frosted white and kind of sparkly like snow)
    - Toy or Filmation top is okay (I prefer toy)
    - Toy colours (they are more cold, more like winter/ice to me and helps differentiate her more from the other PoP ladies. Filmation over-used the deep blue on characters).
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 31, 2011 at 05:17pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I hope she comes with a second crystyalline "ice" arm.

The original concept for the character/figure gave her this kind of arm.
    But nothing else. Going back to concepts is why Teela has vambraces that wouldn't actually let her bend her arms!

Seriously, base it on what's been seen.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I hope they do not just give her those boring plane gloves others have asked for. The toy had cool arm bands that looked like shards of ice, and I think that will look way better on her while not forcing them to sculpt gloved hands (which I doubt they'll do anyway).
    Why NOT sculpt gloved hands? The males have them available, and it'd give Frosta a larger point of distinction than most of the alternatives (also, an excuse for a new "spellcasting" hand).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    - Toy lower boots (the jagged part on her shins)
    I think these will probably need to be shared with the other ladies who wear thigh-high boots, and if so that's not going to happen.

- Toy ice cape and skirt (again, frosted white and kind of sparkly like snow)
    - Toy colours (they are more cold, more like winter/ice to me and helps differentiate her more from the other PoP ladies. Filmation over-used the deep blue on characters).
    I kind of feel like we've been here before...

Seriously, Frosta's toy colours are just washed-out versions of the Filmation colours. CONTRAST, people!
    Last edited by Reboot; August 31, 2011 at 04:57pm.

I actually don't care for the detail on the lower leg that the toy Frosta has, and hope it's left off. Why? Because it makes her, in my opinion, look like she's wearing two pairs of boots. I never like how it looked like Castaspella and Entrapta were wearing two pairs of boots too in the vintage line. Normally, 'm all about adding extra detail, but in this case, I don't think it helps the aesthetic at all.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Why NOT sculpt gloved hands? The males have them available, and it'd give Frosta a larger point of distinction than most of the alternatives.
    Here's my take: characters that have ice powers wearing gloves is stupid, in my opinion. If they shoot ice from their fingers/hands...they would have giant lumps of ice INSIDE their gloves. It's like...Spiderman. Say his spiderweb stuff was natural. It would all goop up inside his gloves and not be able to escape because his hands are COVERED.

This is another case where design has to be thought about. It's like Tallstar's pants...they could have been sharp to protect her when extended. If they're like knives or barbed wire no one would tackle her down when extended. Now...no protection. Bow's owl-handling glove from the toy made sense too, because he always hangs out with Kowl. It's come to light that's not the original intention behind the glove, but it totally made sense and would have been awesome.

I think these will probably need to be shared with the other ladies who wear thigh-high boots, and if so that's not going to happen.
    That won't work though. Castaspella and Entrapta share the same thigh high boots. If they go with those, they have a unique design that goes all the way down. If they go Filmation Castaspella boots...they don't get to share any parts.

I kind of feel like we've been here before...

Seriously, Frosta's toy colours are just washed-out versions of the Filmation colours. CONTRAST, people!
    That's your opinion, Reboot. Toy Frosta has 3 colours of blue (not including her hair). Filmation has 1.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Here's my take: characters that have ice powers wearing gloves is stupid, in my opinion. If they shoot ice from their fingers/hands...they would have giant lumps of ice INSIDE their gloves.
    But it ain't shot from her hand. It's a Magic Beam Of Cold. If it worked the way you say, it would form around her hand and all she'd be able to do would be to give herself ice boxing gloves regardless of whether she wore gloves or not!

It's like...Spiderman. Say his spiderweb stuff was natural.
    You mean like the movies, and the comics for a while?

Bow's owl-handling glove from the toy made sense too, because he always hangs out with Kowl.
    But Kowl always sits on his SHOULDER!

That won't work though. Castaspella and Entrapta share the same thigh high boots. If they go with those, they have a unique design that goes all the way down. If they go Filmation Castaspella boots...they don't get to share any parts.
    But Castaspella will then share thighs with virtually all the other females!

And you're thinking too narrowly anyway - in addition to Entrapta, there are plenty of Filmation girls who wear thigh-high boots to share lower legs with Frosta including Delora, Enchantress, Spydra, Lohni, Rhea, Gleedil & Zilora.

[Oh, and NA Crita (v2), although she needs different feet below the ankle joint]
    Last edited by Reboot; August 31, 2011 at 05:35pm.

Why NOT sculpt gloved hands? The males have them available, and it'd give Frosta a larger point of distinction than most of the alternatives (also, an excuse for a new "spellcasting" hand).
    They're boring and the toy arm bands look better. I don't care if the males have gloves, it's not an equality issue, her cartoon gloves look bland. I'd only be in favor of them if the only other option was reusing the Catra/She-Ra 1.0 arm bands, but I don't think that's given as the only other option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I actually don't care for the detail on the lower leg that the toy Frosta has, and hope it's left off. Why? Because it makes her, in my opinion, look like she's wearing two pairs of boots. I never like how it looked like Castaspella and Entrapta were wearing two pairs of boots too in the vintage line. Normally, 'm all about adding extra detail, but in this case, I don't think it helps the aesthetic at all.
    Detail is still better here. Way better. They look like single pairs of boots to me.
    Last edited by gbagok; August 31, 2011 at 06:01pm.

Just to add- although I haven't seen a close-up- Tallstar seems to have gloved hands and therefore being the first female to have them.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

They're boring and the toy arm bands look better. I don't care if the males have gloves, it's not an equality issue, her cartoon gloves look bland. I'd only be in favor of them if the only other option was reusing the Catra/She-Ra 1.0 arm bands, but I don't think that's given as the only other option.

Detail is still better here. Way better. They look like single pairs of boots to me.
    I´m totally on your side, details can´t be wrong, ever.

I like the ideas FILMATION had for some characters but to take away details from interessting sculpts is so wrong if you ask me.

Frosta with bangs, why not, gloved hands why not, no collar okay...why not but reduced details are no option in my opinion.

I agree with Kevenn. Overdetailing is worse than underdetailing and leads to stuff like double-boots - give them a leather texture rather than trying to put unnecessary details on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Just to add- although I haven't seen a close-up- Tallstar seems to have gloved hands and therefore being the first female to have them.
    Can't find a closeup of her hands, but looks like it. Although only the hands could get reused for Frosta, not the forearms

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I´m totally on your side, details can´t be wrong, ever.
    Last edited by Reboot; August 31, 2011 at 06:22pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

HA HA HA HA

I can see your point, but most of the characters are no big beefy Robots and the one who was got re-classified again to just being a Robot(with lots of details inside)

and leads to stuff like double-boots
    I'm confused at the double boots comments. I see it just being added detail like the "belt" or studs in these examples, keeping them from being plain:

Can't find a closeup of her hands, but looks like it. Although only the hands could get reused for Frosta, not the forearms
    They are the basic Teela hands painted orange, like Count Marzo'd hands were painted black for Faceless One. They have fingernails. There's only one picture I have saved where you can see it (because it's mega-sized) but I don't remember where I found it.

I'm confused at the double boots comments. I see it just being added detail like the "belt" or studs in these examples, keeping them from being plain
    To me, they look more like this* than straps (as-used on the He-Man & Teela boots):

There's a continuous line right around the Frosta toy's boots at the same level that Filmation She-Ra/etc's boots stop (jagged, yes, but that's just Frosta's motif) which is recessed above and raised below. That looks like an "outer boot" to me.

[*Yeah, I know that WW design isn't exactly analogous, but oddly enough the "boots inside boots" look isn't common, and that was the only clear picture of the idea Google gave me!]

EDIT:
    That's your opinion, Reboot. Toy Frosta has 3 colours of blue (not including her hair). Filmation has 1.
    Okay, I decided to hunt down a decent copy of the model sheet to grab some specific values before I replied to this. Filmation has three as well, not including hair: #004ec0, #009bc3 and #8cd4e1 (all values approximate, subject to slight variation depending on scan/scene/lighting/etc) over a wider range than the toy's three.

[In fact, looking at the toy pic I linked above, I only see two shades of blue - a single light blue used on the bodice, legs & cape and a darker blue on the bodice jewel and the thing on top of her belt.]
    Last edited by Reboot; September 1, 2011 at 12:15pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    This is making assumptions the Fab Four have already dispelled.

There's no reason they can't make the gloves (the most recognizable version) for Frosta AND include some of the details from the bands with that. In fact, from what Treadway has said, that is the kind of approach they will likely be taking, pointing to She-Ra 2.0 as an example.

As for the boots, I, too, would hate to see details for the sake of needless details, especially something that makes it look like she's got boots in boots on. Simply adding seams and folds, and maybe some line details along the side accomplishes a much better look, and one that Mattel can use for more than one thigh-booted lady (which is always going to be a major factor for them).

I'm pretty certain we are going to see a very Filmation-based Frosta with some added detail where it's appropriate, which is basically what I've been hoping for from the day the line was announced.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I agree with Kevenn. Overdetailing is worse than underdetailing and leads to stuff like double-boots - give them a leather texture rather than trying to put unnecessary details on.
    I do not agree that it is "overdetailing" or "unnecessary" to include the texture of the toy boots on Filmation Frosta's design. She's a queen of an ice kingdom, she should have more than just flat white knee-highs. The underdetailing I have seen on figures like She-Ra 1.0 is without a doubt worse than what I am asking for.
    I think your analogy is specious. We're not asking for that much detail. I think your viewing the opposing view as an extreme when it's really more of a compromise (one even tilted in the Filmation design's favor).

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    This is making assumptions the Fab Four have already dispelled.

There's no reason they can't make the gloves (the most recognizable version) for Frosta AND include some of the details from the bands with that. In fact, from what Treadway has said, that is the kind of approach they will likely be taking, pointing to She-Ra 2.0 as an example.
    They may do that, yes. If they make that look good and not like the gloves as they look in Filmation, I would applaud them. I am still very cautious. I'd rather not see another figure look as boring as Jewelstar looks.

As for the boots, I, too, would hate to see details for the sake of needless details, especially something that makes it look like she's got boots in boots on. Simply adding seams and folds, and maybe some line details along the side accomplishes a much better look, and one that Mattel can use for more than one thigh-booted lady (which is always going to be a major factor for them).

I'm pretty certain we are going to see a very Filmation-based Frosta with some added detail where it's appropriate, which is basically what I've been hoping for from the day the line was announced.
    But you and I define "needless details" differently here. I do not agree that she looks like she's wearing two pairs of boots, and besides that even if they just took out the line that makes it look that way to some of you, I'd be happy to get the rest of the detail. But just adding seams and folds...yuck. That's the very blandness I want them to avoid.

[In fact, looking at the toy pic I linked above, I only see two shades of blue - a single light blue used on the bodice, legs & cape and a darker blue on the bodice jewel and the thing on top of her belt.]
    I thought Filmation Frosta's belt was supposed to be gray and I didn't count the cape. You want to count ALL the different blues? Here we go:

Filmation:

1) Hair and belt
    2) Collar, jewel, top, thighs
    3) Cape

Toy:

1) Hair
    2) Jewel
    3) Top
    4) Thighs
    5) Skirt Sticker
    6) Cape lining
    7) Ice wand

Last edited by Darkspecter; September 1, 2011 at 04:50pm.

I thought Filmation Frosta's belt was supposed to be gray and I didn't count the cape. You want to count ALL the different blues? Here we go:

Filmation:

1) Hair and belt
    2) Collar, jewel, top, thighs
    3) Cape

Toy:

1) Hair
    2) Jewel
    3) Top
    4) Thighs
    5) Skirt Sticker
    6) Cape lining
    7) Ice wand
    Okay, now you're just being silly. If all those blues are actually different (and, looking at a bunch of pictures, I very much doubt they all are), they're SO similar they might as well not be for all the visual difference it makes.

As for the boots, I, too, would hate to see details for the sake of needless details, especially something that makes it look like she's got boots in boots on.
    I think people are misinterpreting Toy Frosta's boots. I pulled out one of my Frosta figures to look at her last night (and right now) and her boots are like layered ice. They're similar to MOTUC Jewelstar's bracelets.

It's hard to explain, but I always thought it looked really cool and (in my opinion) is much more impressive than plain boots on an ice queen. I mean, the toy design is MADE of ice which is really neat.

Here are a couple pictures to kind of explain:

Okay, now you're just being silly. If all those blues are actually different (and, looking at a bunch of pictures, I very much doubt they all are), they're SO similar they might as well not be for all the visual difference it makes.
    They are very different, Reboot. I'm not "being silly." That was rude. I'm working on a colour chart image...
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 1, 2011 at 04:53pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

They are very different, Reboot. I'm not "being silly." That was rude.
    "Being silly" is rude? Huh?

And, let's see:

I can't just pull hex values from a photo (shadows make it impossible to pick spots with consistent lighting to get consistent numbers), but it looks to me like the bodice, solid cape and thighs (and wand if you want to count it) are all basically the same blue to within a narrow tolerance. (I'll grant that the second, see-through plastic cape, makes the other cape slightly hard to judge, moreso in some other pictures I've seen like the .org photos). On top of that, the thighs are a shade lighter, but that (a) could be the lighting and (b) represents a poor match with the bodice rather than a good thing if they ARE different. After that, the hair & eyeliner is the same shade (a couple of shades darker than the bodice) and the irises and jewel are a shade darker still, but those last few apply to damn small areas.

Since I had to re-make my chart, I went all out this time!

This chart has to be viewed with your monitor at 100% brightness.

A few of the colours on Toy Frosta are hard to quantify (see through cape, hair, metallic sticker), but I did my best. They are all definitely different blues. The colour sample I took from Toy Frosta's hair isn't quite right. Her hair is a bluish green. Closest sample I could get.

Last edited by Darkspecter; September 1, 2011 at 08:18pm.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    To me, Frosta is the perfect candidate for a toy/cartoon hybrid! Her cartoon look is basically a simplified version of her toy with a few changes especially in the belt, cape collar and gloves.
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar