Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matty Q & A Round-Up For 12/16/2009

Matty Q & A Round-Up For 12/16/2009

http://pendragonspost.blogspot.com/2...rs-121609.html

Pendragon's Post

Matty took time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions.

1) Weak joints have been a problem in the MOTUC line from the beginning. Some people are a little worried about Battlecat, as he is going to be heavier and he will have to be able to carry the weight of another figure. Are you guys making sure that Battlecat has sturdy joints?

Yes, Battlecat has very sturdy joints. He does need to carry He-Man into battle after all!

3) What is the criteria for alternate heads on MOTUC figures? For example, a character like Whiplash, who could be considered a B or C list character, but who had a very different headsculpt in 200X. Would he get an alternate head like Mer-Manor would he be like Webstor get a head that combined elements of both?

We don’t have an exact “policy” but our goal is to only do a second head when it is very compelling. Mer-Man had two very different looks so he was a perfect candidate. We definitely do not want to over extend this feature to every figure or the novelty will wear thin!

5) When we get to some of the ladies from POP/She-Ra, do the Four Horsemen feel that they have a little more wiggle room to recreate or revamp these characters as they are A) Less iconic than MOTU, and B) Not really going to look like their classic "figure" anyway. Are characters like Scorpia, and Catra going to be "gently reimagined" for this line to make them a little more action-oriented?

Yes and no. All of the figures will be based on the general look of a Classic figure. While the “Teela” buck will not work universally for every figure, it will be the base for the majority of female characters. Our goal is not to reimagine the characters but more to pay homage to the vintage lines with modern detail and articulation. Scorpia will not be in the line at this time as she is a Filmation character (FYI).
    Toyark.com

Toyark.com: Mattel has announced MOTUC Battle Cat and Ghostbusters Walter Peck with containment unit through Mattycollector.com. Can we expect more vehicles/playsets in the future for Mattel toy lines?

Mattel: We'll be watching Battlecat closely to see how sales go to review future large scale beasts. There are no current plans for playsets, but we are looking at including other larger accessories such as the containment unit with Walter!

http://www.thefwoosh.com/

The Fwoosh

1. Regarding Princess of Power in the MOTUC line, we know you have said you have a commitment to PoP characters and while everyone is gearing up for Adora in January and She-Ra later in 2010, that really only represents on character from that mythos so far. Can we expect a full commitment and perhaps another PoP character in 2010? The line needs some ladies!

We will get to more POP characters in time, but we can’t comment on any unannounced figures right now.

5. If you were to release Keldor as a stand alone figure in the MOTUC would you think he would be best suited as a monthly figure or a bonus figure?

He really could work for both! You’ll just have to wait and see…
    Last edited by Tallstar; December 16, 2009 at 09:07pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

They are here, finally

ouch, I wish them luck then.

Quote Originally Posted by madara View Post
    ouch, I wish them luck then.
    I'm glad we're getting a clear answer.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    'Bout damn time.

You're doing great, Tallstar! You even beat me to Fwoosh!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 16, 2009 at 09:08pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

can not wait for Keldor...
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Hmmm interesting answer to the Keldor question.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

We don’t have an exact “policy” but our goal is to only do a second head when it is very compelling. Mer-Man had two very different looks so he was a perfect candidate. We definitely do not want to over extend this feature to every figure or the novelty will wear thin!

I don't think us fans would be disappointed if A LOT of MOTU characters come with a secondary head. I don't think it would wear thin. But if Mattel were to release a character figure with a new head that wasn't included with the original and calling it a "bonus" figure......that would wear thin.

And as for Keldor.......I'm confused.......unless he's going to be how Faker was....a CC exclusive(bonus), and the monthly figure?
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm glad we're getting a clear answer.
    Did I miss something? I don't get it clear answer to what?

I'd REALLY like a spiffy Keldor figure! That guy is my hero!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    'Bout damn time.

You're doing great, Tallstar! You even beat me to Fwoosh!
    Like I have any clue what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Did I miss something? I don't get it clear answer to what?
    The part about POP figures being based on the figures. That's what they told us around the time the line first started up, but some later answers appeared to offer hope for Style-Guide-based looks... just by how the answers were worded. This particular answer seems more definitive.

Cool. Thanks for collecting these up.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Keldor should be a bonus I think. I'd probably pass on him because, IMO he is a Skeletor variant. But if he was nice enough, I'd pick him up.

Thanks for the round up Tallstar. Forgive me if I missed something but I have a Question. In the response to the question below.....

5) When we get to some of the ladies from POP/She-Ra, do the Four Horsemen feel that they have a little more wiggle room to recreate or revamp these characters as they are A) Less iconic than MOTU, and B) Not really going to look like their classic "figure" anyway. Are characters like Scorpia, and Catra going to be "gently reimagined" for this line to make them a little more action-oriented?

Yes and no. All of the figures will be based on the general look of a Classic figure. While the “Teela” buck will not work universally for every figure, it will be the base for the majority of female characters. Our goal is not to reimagine the characters but more to pay homage to the vintage lines with modern detail and articulation. Scorpia will not be in the line at this time as she is a Filmation character (FYI).

Is this a subtle confirmation that we will be getting Catra or has this been confirmed already?

From toynewsi.com

TNI: The re-issue of your MOTUC He-Man figure sold out pretty fast. Any plans to re-release this one again for a third time?

Mattel: Yes, we will most likely release standard He-Man again, but not for a little while. We have a new He-Man in Battle Armor coming to Mattycollector.com January 15th.

TNI: Since you are going to release a new Batte Cat figure for the MOTUC line, can we expect to see a Cringer figure released sometime in the future? Maybe as a pack-in?

Mattel: Cringer would be tough since he would be a 100% tool and there are lot of other characters that are 100% tools that we want to get to first like Ram Man or King Hssss. It is possible we could do Cringer in time, but nothing in the cards right now.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    some more Q&As for you all. if you'd like contribute to this or future threads, the following is a list of known question askers.

* Poe Ghostal
    * ActionFigurePics
    * Pendragon’s Post
    * Kastor’s Korner
    * JoeAcevedo.Com
    * The Fwoosh
    * Bzzurkk
    * Figures.com
    * DC Hall of Justice
    * ActionFigureInsider
    * toynewsi.com
    * He-Man.Org
    * CoolToyReview
    * SuperHeroTimes.com
    * That New Toy Smell
    * Toyark.com
    * OAFE.net

1) You have stated that the 2010 MOTUC line product schedule will be based on how well the bonus figure are selling. Based on the sales record of the first two bonus figures (Zodak and Godess), would you say the bonus figure program will continue throuout 2010 os it too early to tell?
    Quote:
    Goddess has yet to go on sale so we can’t comment quite yet. It really will be after Battle Cat (since he is the first larger figure) that we’ll really know how 2010 will end up.

2) A Cringer and Prince Adam gift set would be an ideal candidate for an exclusive next year. When you eventually get around to these characters, will Prince Adam be made up of the same muscular buck body or a more slender one? Would Cringer be produced as an articulated figure or more along the lines of a PVC accesory?
    Quote:
    Eventually we want to do both a 200X “smaller” teen Prince Adam as well as a full He-Man redeco (with new vest etc…) Which version will come out first has yet to be revealed. Cringer would also be a great figure or pack in, but there are few other figures that are also 100% tools we want to get to first. How exactly he will be done in the line has yet to be revealed.

3) The Four Horsemen did a fantastic job with the Jitsu 200X staction. Is this character on tap for the near future or do fans have a long wait ahead of them?
    Quote:
    We can’t comment on unannounced figures, sorry! Jitsu is a favorite around here too.

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/9...html#post51153

Kastor: Any updates on the possible MOTU two packs or army builders?
    Matty: Not yet. Might need to wait for SDCC on this one.
    http://kastorskorner.com/index.php?o...=437&Itemid=54
    1. SilntAngl asks: With Battle Armor He-Man being released next month there’s a lot of talk about Battle Armor Skeletor. One hot topic is what one accessory Skeletor should have to go with his damaged battle plates. Many fans are expressing a desire for Skeletor to come with a purple version of the ax (to mirror the He-Man) instead of an extra sword or staff. Is that something Mattel would consider?

Yes, we’ve seen this suggestion online. It is a very cool idea but nothing to confirm quite yet.

2. Mr. Rant asks: For the last few releases, the handling time (between order and shipping) has increased. Items used to ship out day of or within one day and now they’re being held for multiple days (up to a week, in some cases) before they ship. What has changed?

We’re working hard with Digital River to constantly improve this so that figures ship as soon as possible from the order date.

http://www.itsalltrue.net/?p=2814
    4. Do you consider using parts across different toy lines or do prefer to sculpt new ones? Scareglow’s head might be good for a DCUC Mr.Bones or Atomic Skull. The Batman: The Brave and the Bold armored Batman from the Gorilla Grodd set would make a nice S.T.R.I.P.E. for the DC Infinite Heroes. The Action League Black Manta head would go nice on a DC Infinite Heroes body. Consider playsets or vehicles that could be designed for the Batman:The Brave and the Bold toy line or Action League but also compatible with the DC Infinite Heroes figures?

We will occasionally mix parts between lines of a similar brand, but you won’t see parts from a MOTUC figure being used for a DC figure or Ghostbusters character. Good suggestions though!

http://www.joeacevedo.com/docs/mycorner/Blog/index.html
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; December 17, 2009 at 03:20am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Great job, guys!

2) A Cringer and Prince Adam gift set would be an ideal candidate for an exclusive next year. When you eventually get around to these characters, will Prince Adam be made up of the same muscular buck body or a more slender one? Would Cringer be produced as an articulated figure or more along the lines of a PVC accesory?

Eventually we want to do both a 200X “smaller” teen Prince Adam as well as a full He-Man redeco (with new vest etc…) Which version will come out first has yet to be revealed. Cringer would also be a great figure or pack in, but there are few other figures that are also 100% tools we want to get to first. How exactly he will be done in the line has yet to be revealed.
    Another confirmation on wanting to do a 200X Adam. I wish they'd stop fronting like the Classic version of Adam isn't coming first. It shouldn't have worked for Evil-Lyn in the first place.

Guess I can add Cringer to the "not coming soon" list. Great to see that now we have a gauge on his release, since we'll see Ram Man or King Hiss first.

I wonder how Cringer would come? He could come package like everyone else, since he's too big for a blister card, but I think he should come with Adam in a two pack. Makes more sense than Cringer coming on his own.

3) The Four Horsemen did a fantastic job with the Jitsu 200X staction. Is this character on tap for the near future or do fans have a long wait ahead of them?

We can’t comment on unannounced figures, sorry! Jitsu is a favorite around here too.
    I think Jitsu might be coming within 2010. Toyguru isn't saying that they haven't gotten to him or no plans.

3) What is the criteria for alternate heads on MOTUC figures? For example, a character like Whiplash, who could be considered a B or C list character, but who had a very different headsculpt in 200X. Would he get an alternate head like Mer-Manor would he be like Webstor get a head that combined elements of both?

I really disagree with this. Every character in the SOTA Street Fighter line had two heads and it didn't wear thin at all. It think it spices up characters without having to buy an all new figure. Imagine how Faker could have benefitted from extra heads?
    However, so far in 2010, we have 2 characters with swappable heads. Potentially three characters with Evil-Lyn.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 17, 2009 at 09:20am.

Maybe Jitsu and Fisto in 2010?

I'm wondering how they will reuse a 200x Prince Adam sculpt?

Maybe they could use some parts from his body for Modulok

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    From ThatNewToySmell.com

1) With some collectors leaving their figures unopened, will you be doing Kronis in the card as well as Trap-Jaw? It would be nice to have them both to display.

That would be a cool idea for a released, but for the initial release in February, the Kronis head and arm will be packed out to the bottom of the Trap Jaw figure.

2) Now that the Dark Knight Movie Masters figures are heading to shelves thanks to Toys R Us, any plans on bringing some of the other Matty Exclusive lines to the shelves like this?

This was a very rare exception due to the blockbuster nature of the Dark Knight film.

3) We understand that we will (sadly) not be getting any new MOTU mini comics soon, but what are the chances of a graphic novel or a series of graphic novels made up of the original mini comics? Or a book piecing together the new storyline you have in place for the Classics line?

We are well aware of fan demand for projects like this, but it is just not something we can work on right now. We’re putting all of our efforts into making great figures!

4) Now that we are getting the Dark Knight Movie Masters at Toys R Us, will they include more accessories such as the "Evidence" that used to be included?

No, they will be the same figures as sold on Mattycollector.com. The huge success of the blockbuster film allowed a unique opportunity to also bring these figures to retail.

5) Can you put the word in that Pixel Dan really wants a Mosquitor figure?

Happy to, but I can confirm he is not in the cards anytime soon. We will get to this key member of the Evil Horde eventually though!
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; December 17, 2009 at 10:15am.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

That's another one...

some good questions this round.

the answers were a=not that bad if not predictable in some circumstances.

on a non motuc related moment i like the fact that mattel owned up to the recent DCUC having limited neck articulation and are changing it back after having been shown pics of flaw.

if we want something changed like that that is what we need to do.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

The good news is that they will possible use the molds from DCUC or WWE to create characters for MOTUC. Cringer should come with Orko as he will most likely be a small character and would need something else to give his package some heft. Keldor should be a bonus as he should for the most part only need to use Fakor's body with a new head and cape.

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Cringer should come with Orko as he will most likely be a small character and would need something else to give his package some heft.
    Orko has his own bio, so chances are he's coming alone. The mystery here is what would he come with? There's going to be a LOT of space in that package...

Keldor should be a bonus as he should for the most part only need to use Fakor's body with a new head and cape.
    Keldor could be a great opportunity to give us a 200X Skeletor. Just repaint Skeletor's armor like his 200X incarnation and include cape, a melting head, a 200X Skeletor head, Skeletor's 200X swords and the vial of acid. With 6 accessories, he should be a pretty hefty bonus figure.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    From ThatNewToySmell.com

3) We understand that we will (sadly) not be getting any new MOTU mini comics soon, but what are the chances of a graphic novel or a series of graphic novels made up of the original mini comics? Or a book piecing together the new storyline you have in place for the Classics line?

We are well aware of fan demand for projects like this, but it is just not something we can work on right now. We’re putting all of our efforts into making great figures!
    I understand that they want to focus on putting out the figures, but I can't help but feel like this is a hugely missed opportunity. What better way to support the line then to create a mini series based on the storylines revealed in the bios. Perhaps even creating a digitial comic available for download perhaps would help cut down on production costs. I would think it would make sense to build the fanbase more by reaching people who maybe aren't as familiar with MOTU. I hope it's something they consider more closely.