Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Wun Dar get a 2nd release?

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    So if he's re-released I want them to do away with double shipping before 2010.

If I don't have to pay double shipping for bonus figs, they can re-release Wun-dar all they want imo.
    They ought to be doing that regardless of Wun-Dar.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Good point but still it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

Why would Mattel makes this an "Exclusive" when they could be making more money making these available to the general public? This subscription service is nothing but problems so why have it?
    Because thats the draw. They offer something that the general public
    can't have as an incentive to get people to commit to a subscription.
    Also, how much more money do you think Mattel could generate with
    a Wun-Dar re-release? I mean the obscurity of the character/figure really
    doesn't warrant it, its not as if he's essential in completing a core line up.
    Last edited by Azrael; December 20, 2009 at 05:19pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wun-Dar should not be re-released.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

How do you reissue a figure that cannot sell out?

Wun-Dar is one exclusive that I feel was handled properly by Mattel, as he was made available to everyone. They informed fans at SDCC and online that he would be available only to subscribers and then gave folks ample time to purchase a sub. They were supposed to be up for sale for about 3 weeks or so, but didn't Mattel extend the time? -- So at least a good month.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I agree. I don't understand why people, who have always been into the line anyway, keep complaining that they are not getting Wun Dar. Mattel gave everyone the chance to purchase him. Of course, anyone is entitled to make any request they want to Mattel. I don't plan on selling any of my Wun Dars so if they reissue him it won't be a problem for me but I know many subscribers who would be pretty upset if Mattel accepted this request to have Wun Dar available to all.

On the other hand it's pretty understandable that people who jumped on the wagon when the subs were no longer available feel frustrated that they cannot have a full collection without paying $$$ on eBay for this exclusive.

This is a no win situation, I'm afraid.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

He shouldn't be reissued. He should be a one-time opportunity. Like the original... probably was.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Also, how much more money do you think Mattel could generate with a Wun-Dar re-release?
    But the thing is, there are people out there who will buy anything with the MOTU lablel on it. People buy re-issues that don't even 'need' them simply because they are there. They want a 'complete' collection. If WUN-DAR would be re-issued, why would these people suddenly decide not to buy him in particular, when they already own 4 unopened HE-MANS and 4 MOC SKELETORS?

I'm not trying to pick a fight... just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate here.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    But the thing is, there are people out there who will buy anything with the MOTU lablel on it. People buy re-issues that don't even 'need' them simply because they are there. They want a 'complete' collection. If WUN-DAR would be re-issued, why would these people suddenly decide not to buy him in particular, when they already own 4 unopened HE-MANS and 4 MOC SKELETORS?

Well, then those people should have purchased subs. There was plenty of time to do so, and Matty even extended the cut off date, so there's no excuse for not getting the sub if people want Wun-Dar.

Good point but still it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

Why would Mattel makes this an "Exclusive" when they could be making more money making these available to the general public? This subscription service is nothing but problems so why have it?

And if you look back at history with Mattel's exclusive's in 200X THAT's what they should do (I.E. Faker,Snake Teela,Moss Man) mail away or internet only make them in larger qtys. like Faker,He-Ro,KG)

To me this is stupid...Why would Mattel care about how limited these figures are?? They are a BUSINESS to make money!!! If they made them limited (But not TOO limited) they would still make their money and appease the fans...Not like that joke that was the Art Book (1000 Pcs.) and look at how well that did...
    they did it to entice people to go the subscription route. the needed as many subs as possible so that they had a GUARANTEED number of sales for 12 months. by knowing the minimum amount(the subscribers) of figures they were going to sell no matter what gave them hard facts. they can use these facts when trying to allocate more money to unique molds,etc for the line.

yeah selling more makes sense but in this case the figure was to entice people to subscribe.

it is just like a magazine subscription. in a magazine subscription, take Xbox Magazine as an example, the cover price is 9.99 an issue each month. however, i pay about 18.00-20.00 for the whole year. why is this? Because the magazine wants as many subscribers as they can so they offer you something to entice you to subscribe.

if i dont subscribe to the magazine and a couple months down the road i am mad that i have to pay cover price i can only blame myself since i knew if i subscribed i'd have received a deal.

wizard/toysfare used to have a deal if you subscribe they gave you an exclusive comic/toy. those that didnt subscribe didnt get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Wun-Dar is one exclusive that I feel was handled properly by Mattel, as he was made available to everyone. They informed fans at SDCC and online that he would be available only to subscribers and then gave folks ample time to purchase a sub. They were supposed to be up for sale for about 3 weeks or so, but didn't Mattel extend the time? -- So at least a good month.
    you are correct. initially it was only going to be up for 3 weeks but they extended it another 2 weeks. It was highly publicized and talked about here and on many many forums so if people were already collecting the line decided not to, like my xboc example, only have themselves to blame. Mattel even stated BEFORE the sub program ended that Wun-Dar wasn't going to be released again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    On the other hand it's pretty understandable that people who jumped on the wagon when the subs were no longer available feel frustrated that they cannot have a full collection without paying $$$ on eBay for this exclusive.

This is a no win situation, I'm afraid.
    see that is the problem. with everything, not just MOTUC, there will be people late to the game. i have collected many things where i came into the line late and had to play catch up. it is just how things are. heck i still never got ALL the 200X action figures and i started day 1 on that line.

people really rag on ebay and whatnot but before places like that does anyone remember how hard it was to collect stuff? i'd have NEVER been able to get some of my stuff w/o ebay or the internets
    Last edited by King Kahn; December 20, 2009 at 07:49pm.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    i have collected many things where i came into the line late and had to play catch up.
    Yeah, there does seem to be a bit of a 'You're late? Well too damn bad!" attitude with some people. Imagine if it was like that with something like BEATLES music:

You weren't around to buy the original vinyl? Well tough ****! It won't ever be released again!

Look how much money would have been lost!!!
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

To fix this issue Mattel should make Wun-Dar available to buy to anyone who purchases a 2011 subscription.

This way it remains a bonus for 2010 subscribers and gives late starters the chance to own it by purchasing it with the 2011 sub

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    To fix this issue Mattel should make Wun-Dar available to buy to anyone who purchases a 2011 subscription.

This way it remains a bonus for 2010 subscribers and gives late starters the chance to own it by purchasing it with the 2011 sub
    This in addition to the 2011 incentive? Now this sounds fair enough. Wun-Dar remains Sub Exclusive... Kinda like a VIP club for MOTUC.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    This in addition to the 2011 incentive? Now this sounds fair enough. Wun-Dar remains Sub Exclusive... Kinda like a VIP club for MOTUC.
    Then everyone who got the first one has to get a second one or 2 or 4 when they also get the 2011, 2012, 2013 sub(s)? I don`t like it and think he should stay exclusive to the 2010 sub, that is what exclusive means right? He should have run and that be it IMO Late comers will have to go without or pay secondary market prices for one. I`m not against EVERYONE getting a fig they want but exclusive means just that and it should stay that way(again IMO). Not everyone who wants one has a bronze King Grayskull or the 200X exclusives, the prices are high but a figure`s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don`t like the 200X exclusive prices but will inevitably pay them to finish my collection.

The simple reason why Wun-Dar needs to be an exclusive and remain an exclusive is that the subscriptions mean that Mattel know they are going to sell at least a certain quantity a year in advance. They will probably do this every year until the toyline folds. If Mattel do what you are suggesting and not make Wun-Dar an exclusive, then fewer will buy a subscription next year because they will know the 'exclusive' is just a scam, and there would be little point to buy another (as they will continue to have to pay for double shipping with no benefit like Wun-Dar).

Just because YOU got one great but it seems like alot of people really don't care that alot of people got slighted...And when they question it they get "Stoned" nice......
    This is life - you only get a lot of opportunities once - if you don't take them at the time then they're gone. There's no point crying over spilt milk - it's a luxury plastic toy we're talking about, not food or electricity or shelter, if people missed out they should just suck it up or buy one from eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post

Really? So you do that, take the exclusivity away, and people who already had a 2010 sub now end up with 2 devalued Wundars? No dice. Even if they did this with a paint ap change or something, it will devalue the original "exclusive".

I would really like to see them do something about the double shipping though. (That's why I chose the end of the year subscription option on 2009. Of course, my sub is still order in process with no figures sent.) With some sort of technical finesse and good logistics this would be easy. Hey, this guy with SUB order #XXXXXXXXX says he wants to wait until the end of the month for his subs to ship with his other orders that month from his same login ID and credit card. But with the level of amateur mistakes and incompetence displayed by DRI that is like asking Homer to stop the Springfield power plant from melting Down. The only way this would happen is dumb luck. Not skill, perseverance or a desire to help a customer and take pride in what you do. That is clear. The only way these issues seem to be resolved is when outsiders like ToyGuru step up to make noise for us. DRI should make all of this work for Mattel on their own. It is after all, the service they are supposed to be providing. It is their vocation. They are just inept at it at worst, sub-par at best. Just google "Digital River DRI". Check the first few hits. That says it all about this company. Why mattel sticks with them is a mystery, and a puts a poor sheen on their corporate polish by the people they choose to do business with.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'm aware that people will buy anything with a MOTU label on it.
    The point I'm making is why bother? This isn't Snake Armor,
    200X or BA He-Man we're talking about here, its an obscure
    variant one that doesn't really warrant a re-release, one thats better
    off just remaining the exclusive it was meant to be. I'm not talking
    about collectors who want to hoard. Granted I understand what
    you're saying, but there are a plethora of other variants that Mattel
    could seek to sale and resale as oppose to some obscure exclusive.

I know, I completely see where you're coming from
    I also think it would be bad on Mattel's part to, especially
    if a re-release means a decrease in future subscription sales.
    Last edited by Azrael; December 20, 2009 at 09:02pm.

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    I tend to think of him as a figure that was already available and took the longest to sell out. From my understanding there are other figures that may never be re released besides Wun Dar.

They may never reissue Zodac for example. In that case to get the figure one would need to turn to Ebay. So in that regard Wun Dar was "on sale" on Matty for a few weeks and then he "sold out". The only difference is that he was attached to a subscription.

In regards to those that joined the line late, the same applies to any figures that don't get a reissue. If someone started collecting today they could not get Randor normally for example. There is no guarantee that Randor will be reissued. So unfortunately that is one of the things to be considered when collecting MOTUC. I, like many, want everyone to get every figure that they dream of. That is just not going to happen.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Then everyone who got the first one has to get a second one or 2 or 4 when they also get the 2011, 2012, 2013 sub(s)? I don`t like it and think he should stay exclusive to the 2010 sub, that is what exclusive means right? He should have run and that be it IMO Late comers will have to go without or pay secondary market prices for one. I`m not against EVERYONE getting a fig they want but exclusive means just that and it should stay that way(again IMO). Not everyone who wants one has a bronze King Grayskull or the 200X exclusives, the prices are high but a figure`s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I don`t like the 200X exclusive prices but will inevitably pay them to finish my collection.
    I thought that TheFallen meant that Wun-Dar would be available to be bought as an Optional "bonus" Bonus figure when buying the 2011 Subscription. As in not packed in the Sub bundle. That way the Re-issue STILL remains as a Sub Exclusive.

As for later year subscritpions. I only see using the previous year's fig as the Optional Bonus Bonus fig. So for the 2012 sub, only the 2011 sub exclusive would be the Optional Bonus Bonus fig.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Wun-dar is costing me a fortune in shipping with Mattel's decision to release freaking bonus figures every month. So I would prefer he remained a 2010 sub item and never return in motuc form.

Look folks, EVERYBODY was given more than ample time to get Wun-Dar. If you didn't go for it it's nobody's fault but yours.

"But I don't want every figure!"

So? Get the sub anyway then sell who you don't want to other orgers, ebay, toy websites, believe me, you'll be able to push the thing.

"But they charge extra shipping for bonuses if we get the sub!"

Can't have everything, kids. That's life, as someone has already stated. Either you do what it takes to get the Wun-Dar or you don't get him, or you pay extra for him from another source. Somewhere along the line you'll have to put some effort somewhere to get him. They're not just gonna hand him to you. That's the way life works.

"But the sub is nothing but problems!"

Really? See, now I've had the sub since it started and I've never had an issue. I'm sure a lot of others haven't either.

What it comes down to is this: Mattel told you what the score was on Wun-Dar multiple times. People were given close to a month to order. There was an avenue for people who didn't want to keep every figure to recoup their costs (and then some depending on how they chose to sell them). There's no excuse if you wanted a Wun-Dar and didn't order a sub except for the fact that you didn't want to put forth the effort.

End of story.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

I thought that TheFallen meant that Wun-Dar would be available to be bought as an Optional "bonus" Bonus figure when buying the 2011 Subscription. As in not packed in the Sub bundle. That way the Re-issue STILL remains as a Sub Exclusive.

As for later year subscritpions. I only see using the previous year's fig as the Optional Bonus Bonus fig. So for the 2012 sub, only the 2011 sub exclusive would be the Optional Bonus Bonus fig.

Interesting. This isn't as enraging, but still devalues any exclusive. As my shipping rant indicates, the Wundar I'm receiving will cost me at least $70 because of double shipping if there are only 4 bonus figures released all year. Tac on an extra $8-10 for every additional bonus figure and you get to see why Wundar is going for so much at resale. I do however like the fact that it is an Idea to try to make everyone happy and get what they want. But it doesn't seem like that is what this line is destined for. Just look at all the issues we have dealt with so far. I would love if it was just, "Hey, these guys make neat toys. How much are they? Great. Here is my money. Here is your toy. Nice doing business with you." But this is the world of adult collecting, not simple commerce or fairy land. There may be people, entities or situations that get in the way of perfect harmony, just like the rest of life.

Wun-Dar was scheduled to be a Bonus figure for the buyers of the 2010 Sub, along with the map of Eternia, so IMO I think he won't get another run. I'm not saying this just because us subscribers payed and extra 20€ for the sub, because he could become available for the general public as a bonus figure, and You would pay for it as well. What is making me think this way is that the figure would probably loose some of the "feeling", to say so, associated with it being an exclusive to subscribers.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Want a Wun-Dar? You should of bought a sub. Mattel gave buyers plenty of time.

Decided not to join the sub program? Your Problem

Late to the line? Don't want to hunt down missed figures and possibly pay more? In this case an exclusive item.
    Glad you could join us but that's what happens. Hey... I missed the Hulk pf and got into DC classics later. I didn't expect these toys to be available just because I jumped on the boat when it had already set sail.
    Last edited by MANGLORD; December 21, 2009 at 07:40am.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Wun-Dar is a subscription exclusive figure, and that's the way he should be. EVERYONE had plenty of time to buy into the 2010 subscription service. What was it…at least a month it was available? How many people have an original "Wonder Bread He-Man"?? Please raise your hands…

anybody?

That's what I thought.

He's rare, just as Wun-Dar will be rare.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Yes, this is what I meant. Thanks DO4M

It is a pity this tread has degraded to where it is