Thread: Minicomics: Continuity and Reading Order

Technicoloured Zebra keith mccleary's Avatar

Minicomics: Continuity and Reading Order

As a comic book collector, the continuity for the classic minicomics has also been of interest to me and last week I finally decided to sit down and work out a reading order for the series. I based this first on the order in which people/vehicles/powers are introduced and reused, and secondly on what made a good overall 'flow.' Since the comics sort of run in 'seasons' like TV, I liked to build to a big battle at the end of each wave of books.

NOTE: I do own quite a few of the whole run, but do to my research I used the totally awesome site The Good Old Days, which I highly recommend as the most thorough collection of He-Man and She-Ra reading I have seen anywhere on the 'net. It's all too low-res to reprint, but for pure reading and completist enjoyment it can't be beat: http://www.goodolddays.net/comics/index.pl?id=22

Anyway, after the first four books ("Power Sword," Battle in the Clouds," etc) which I think are numbered 1-4 and run as such, you have the 2nd series (i.e. "He-Man Meets Ram-Man," "Teela of Teela") which basically run in the order in which the Heroic and Evil Warriors amass their allies. All you need to do is see who's working for He-Man and Skeletor in each issue, and the order becomes clear.

2nd Series:

The Magic Stealer
    Ordeal of Man-E-Faces
    He-Man Meets Ram Man
    The Terror of Tri-Klops
    The Menace of Trap Jaw
    The Tale of Teela
    The Power of Point Dread!

The last two books are interesting because they're actually Part 1 and 2 of the same story, in which Skeletor tries and fails and tries again to gain control of Point Dread. It's the only two-parter in the whole series, really.

I'm gonna break this up, so next post: Horde! Snake Men! Eternia!
    Last edited by keith mccleary; December 22, 2009 at 02:24am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    My blog, portfolio and childhood He-Man tales: Weird Things I Have Done

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    cool. keep it up. I was hoping the continuity was correct on the He.Man.org>Collecting>Publishing>Masters of the Universe Mini Comics part of the site. They list each comic as Series, and order... ie The Magic Stealer is Series 2; 6 of 7. But you have it as the first of seven. I'm just beginning my collection of Mini Comics and was intending on not reading them until I had a full series.. and reading them in continuity. So your thread will help. Thanks.!

CarKrash --

You know, I'd forgotten that the Minicomics page here on the site gives their own order for the books -- I went and looked at it, then flipped through my series two books .... and they may be right about "Magic Stealer."

Basically, Point Dread gets placed on top of Castle Greyskull in "Tale of Teela," and there's ONE panel in "Magic Stealer" which shows it on top of Greyskull, at the end of the book.

So I'll give them that one. Which is annoying, because "He-Man Meets Ram-Man" is a lame start to the series!

Anyway, that change aside, I still disagree with their numbering for series 4 (the Horde is introduced in a very specific order). And it just looks like there are some mistakes for series 5 and 6 -- for example "Powers of Greyskull," the Preternia comic, is definitely the final book in the run and in the site's numbering it's followed by two other books. Also, all you have to do is take a glance at "The Obelisk" to know it comes much earlier than series 4.

----

As for series 3, there's not really any continuity to it at all. To my eye, the only important thing about it is that is has two distinct styles. First, there are the books that continue with the very high-fantasy, Conan-influenced books that had come before in the first two series. I really like these books, but I don't feel like they have much to do with the rest of the run.

Series 3, part 1

The Obelisk
    The Siege of Avion
    Masks of Power
    He-Man and the Insect People
    Dragon's Gift

Like I said, there are some real choice books in there -- but I think if these minicomics were ever a numbered series, the books in waves 1 and 2 would be added to these, in series 3, as a "MOTU Vol 1" sort of thing, and the entire rest of the entire minicomic run would be a "Vol 2."

Taken another way, the DC miniseries of newsstand comic books were very very different from the STAR series that came out a short time later. It's all good, all He-Man -- but as we know, a very different feel between the early years and the later ones.

The second part of series 3 is really the unofficial start to what I've always thought of as the "toy canon" -- with all the different factions, vehicles, sci-fi elements and gadgets, and crazy playsets as centerpieces.

These can pretty much be read in any order, but I recommend the following. "Temple of Darkness" is a good simple opening that re-introduces all the characters, and the last page mirrors "Energy Zoids" --- waaaaay down the line, the last book in the series before the trip to Preternia -- in a way that's too dead-on to be a coincidence. And "Clash of Arms" is a huge brawl with a calm-before-the-storm sort of ending, setting up what's coming in series 4.

Series 3, Part Two

Temple of Darkness
    Slave City
    Double Edged Sword
    Secret Liquid of Life
    Clash of Arms
    Last edited by keith mccleary; December 22, 2009 at 04:45pm.

Every book has it`s own production number printed on either the front or back, put these numbers in order and you have your reading order The Powers of Grayskull was not the last comic, The Cosmic Key comic was

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Every book has it`s own production number printed on either the front or back, put these numbers in order and you have your reading order The Powers of Grayskull was not the last comic, The Cosmic Key comic was
    Hey, absolutely -- but the production numbers don't actually always make sense with what's happening in the stories. I'm putting this together in terms of when characters are introduced.

Take series 4 -- where I'm starting next. According to the production numbers, the first book to introduce the Horde is "Hordak - the Ruthless Leader's Revenge!" But if you read the book, all the characters are on a first-name basis with one another -- the entire Horde is there (minus Modulok,) and everyone knows who everyone else is. (He-Man calls Hordak by name as soon as the villains arrive, in fact.)

On the other hand, if you introduce the Horde with "Grizzlor - The Legend Comes Alive," the entire story revolves around the fact that not only have the Heroic Warriors never heard of Grizzlor, they've never heard of the Horde at all. Teela is the first hero to meet Hordak, and he introduces himself very clearly then. But in "Leech - the Master of Power Suction Unleashed," the heroes have STILL not heard of Leech until they confront him on the beach. And this is the LAST Horde comic of series 4, if you follow the production numbers!

And so on. Like I said, this is just a reading order, but for me it works better than the production order. In some cases I make choices because I like how it reads, but a lot of times it's just plain ol' continuity.

I'll make note of this from now on. If it says "intro" it is DEFINITELY the first appearance of a character, meaning that any other appearances of that character HAVE to appear later on.

Sometimes the intros are just "likely" -- not exactly an origin story, but nonetheless it seems that a character is being introduced/showcased in a particular book. I'll make note of that too.

And if I have no other reason, I arrange things by how it reads. For example, I bookended series 4 with Dragon Blast Skeletor at the beginning and Thunder Punch He-Man at the end, because that's just cool.

Series 4

Skeletor's Dragon
    intro: Dragon Blast Skeletor, Battle Bones

Battle of Roboto
    intro: Roboto

Grizzlor - The Legend Comes Alive!
    intro: Grizzlor, Hordak
    recurring: Roboto

Stench of Evil
    intro: Stinkor
    likely intro: Moss Man
    recurring: Battle Bones

Spikor Strikes
    intro: Spikor, Spydor
    likely intro: Sy-Klone

Leech - Master of Power Suction
    intro: Leech
    recurring: Hordak, Sy-Klone, Roboto, Moss Man

Mantenna and the Menace of the Evil Horde
    intro: Mantenna
    recurring: Leech, Grizzlor, Hordak, Moss Man, Roboto

Hordak - the Ruthless Leader's Revenge
    recurring: Stinkor, Spikor, Hordak, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Leech, Roboto, Spydor

The Treachery of Modulok
    intro: Modulok, Thunder Punch He-Man
    recurring: Hordak, Leech, Grizzlor, Sy-Klone, Roboto

DISCLAIMER: The only bit of continuity that can't be fixed is that in almost every Horde issue, there's some mention of a dimensional portal being opened for the "first" time. Can't really do anything about that one.
    Last edited by keith mccleary; December 22, 2009 at 08:52pm.

Quote Originally Posted by keith mccleary View Post
    Hey, absolutely -- but the production numbers don't actually always make sense with what's happening in the stories. I'm putting this together in terms of when characters are introduced.

Take series 4 -- where I'm starting next. According to the production numbers, the first book to introduce the Horde is "Hordak - the Ruthless Leader's Revenge!" But if you read the book, all the characters are on a first-name basis with one another -- the entire Horde is there (minus Modulok,) and everyone knows who everyone else is. (He-Man calls Hordak by name as soon as the villains arrive, in fact.)

On the other hand, if you introduce the Horde with "Grizzlor - The Legend Comes Alive," the entire story revolves around the fact that not only have the Heroic Warriors never heard of Grizzlor, they've never heard of the Horde at all. Teela is the first hero to meet Hordak, and he introduces himself very clearly then. But in "Leech - the Master of Power Suction Unleashed," the heroes have STILL not heard of Leech until they confront him on the beach. And this is the LAST Horde comic of series 4, if you follow the production numbers!

And so on. Like I said, this is just a reading order, but for me it works better than the production order. In some cases I make choices because I like how it reads, but a lot of times it's just plain ol' continuity.

I'll make note of this from now on. If it says "intro" it is DEFINITELY the first appearance of a character, meaning that any other appearances of that character HAVE to appear later on.

Sometimes the intros are just "likely" -- not exactly an origin story, but nonetheless it seems that a character is being introduced/showcased in a particular book. I'll make note of that too.

And if I have no other reason, I arrange things by how it reads. For example, I bookended series 4 with Dragon Blast Skeletor at the beginning and Thunder Punch He-Man at the end, because that's just cool.

Series 4

Skeletor's Dragon
    intro: Dragon Blast Skeletor, Battle Bones

Battle of Roboto
    intro: Roboto

intro: Grizzlor, Hordak
    recurring: Roboto

Stench of Evil
    intro: Stinkor
    likely intro: Moss Man
    recurring: Battle Bones

Spikor Strikes
    intro: Spikor, Spydor
    likely intro: Sy-Klone

intro: Leech
    recurring: Hordak, Sy-Klone, Roboto, Moss Man

intro: Mantenna
    recurring: Leech, Grizzlor, Hordak, Moss Man, Roboto

recurring: Stinkor, Spikor, Hordak, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Leech, Roboto, Spydor

The Treachery of Modulok
    intro: Modulok, Thunder Punch He-Man
    recurring: Hordak, Leech, Grizzlor, Sy-Klone, Roboto

DISCLAIMER: The only bit of continuity that can't be fixed is that in almost every Horde issue, there's some mention of a dimensional portal being opened for the "first" time. Can't really do anything about that one.
    good one...
    "I am the best at what i do" - Jericho said

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181508

Want/Trade List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=186314

Thanks, crazyfigure!

Okay, series 5 -- starting into my favorite run, and also the most continuity heavy. Events are actually ANTICIPATED from one comic to the next -- Skeletor vowing vengeance with "his own power" after being bested by the Flying Fists, Hordak's warnings that he's going to use machinery to "create a new force of fighters," and the very specific multi-issue character arc for Extendar.

Again, this is organized both by character introductions and my personal sense of "flow." For example, by production numbers "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" precludes "Escape from the Slime Pit," but since the Slime Pit is constructed in "Escape" and reused in "Between a Rock..." -- well, my inner nerd weeps.

I also prefer to open with "Rock People" and "Fastest Draw" because they both feature Kobra Khan, coupled with Beast Man and Webstor. Every appearance of Khan thereafter is as a part of the Snake Men, so it just seems to make more sense to open with his "solo" appearances.

Anyway -- onward!

Series 5

Rock People to the Rescue
    Intro: Jet Sled, Rokkon, Stonedar

Fastest Draw in the West
    Intro: Rio Blast, Megalaser

Flying Fists of Power
    Intro: Flying Fists He-Man
    Recurring: Rokkon, Stonedar

King of the Snake Men
    Intro: King Hiss, Tongue Lashor, Rattlor
    Recurring: Jet Sled, Flying Fists He-Man

The Terror Claws Strike!
    Intro: Terror Claws Skeletor
    Recurring: Rattlor, Flying Fists He-Man

Escape from the Slime Pit
    Intro: Slime Pit
    Recurring: Rokkon, Stonedar, Terror Claws Skeletor

Between a Rock and a Hard Place
    Intro: Hurricane Hordak, Mantisaur, Horde Trooper*
    Recurring: Rokkon, Stonedar, Slime Pit

Menace of Multi-Bot
    Intro: Multi-Bot

Warrior Machine
    Intro: Dragstor, Extendar

Snake Attack
    Intro: Stilt Stalkers
    Recurring: King Hiss, Rattlor, Tongue Lashor, Extendar

Eye of the Storm
    Intro: Snout Spout
    Recurring: Extendar

Hordes of Hordak
    Intro/Recurring: Horde Trooper*
    Recurring: Hurricane Hordak

*DISCLAIMER: There's a small problem with the fact that, with this ordering, the Horde Troopers essentially make a cameo in the Fright Zone BEFORE their construction/introduction in "The Hordes of Hordak." But to get all the other character intros in the right order, it's the only way everything fits together (Believe me, the continuity errors in the official production order are far worse.) My inner nerd is consoled by the possibility that maybe Hordak has proto-Troopers in the Fright Zone before he unveils them in battle. Yeah. That's it.

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Thanks again.. and especially thanks for letting me know about The Good Old Days website. Thanks to them, I have digital copies of all their MOTU collection. Which I believe includes all the mini comics except for some POP. Muchos Gracias.!!

CarKrash -

Yeah, that site is awesome. I didn't realize that they didn't have all the POP minis there, but I also haven't heard anythign good about that series -- and it's not like there's any crossover with the MOTU series (unfortunately.)

Well if you've got all the scans in your possession, maybe I should finish up this thread, yes? Here's the final series, which blends pretty seamlessly with the one that came before it (And I guess depending on your viewpoint, "Ultimate Battleground" either ends the last series or starts this one, but whatever.)

The other interesting thing about this series is the attempt to explain why the Sorceress is suddenly getting a toy version -- In "Search for Keldor," she reveals that the rising of the Towers of Eternia have granted her the power to appear outside Castle Grayskull for the first time in her human form, and she does just that for the rest of the books. I liked this touch.

As unlikely as it sounds, I personally feel like "Energy Zoids" is a strong end to the series (with "The Legend Begins" as an epilogue/transition into the Preternia series-that-never-was). As I said earlier, there's a tableau on the final page of "Zoids" that mirrors almost exactly the final page from "The Temple of Darkness" back in series 2, which I see as the first issue of 'toy canon.' This was the point at which the series broke away from the high-fantasy, Conan-esque feel of the earlier books. It's all totally subjective, obviously,but still cool to me.

Okay, let's wrap this up!

Series 6

Ultimate Battleground
    Intro: Eternia

Search for Keldor
    Intro: Sorceress (outside Greyskull), Randor, Clamp Champ, Ninjor, Scare Glow
    Recurring: Eternia

The Cosmic Key
    Intro: Blade, Saurod, Gwildor
    Recurring: Sorceress, Eternia

Revenge of the Snake Men
    Intro: Snake Face, Sssqueeze, Blast Attak
    Recurring: Sorceress, Eternia, Randor

Enter Buzz Saw Hordak
    Intro: Buzz Saw Hordak, Mosquitor
    Recurring: Eternia, Sorceress, Randor

Energy Zoids
    Intro: Twistoid, Rotar
    Recurring: Sssqueeze, Snake Face

Powers of Grayksull - The Legend Begins
    Intro: Tyrantisaurs Rex, Turbodactyl, Bionatops
    Recurring: Sorceress, Eternia, Sssqueeze

---

And taa daa, that's it! My best guess at the reading order for the MOTU minicomics!

I only wish they'd had one for Monstroid (and thrown out "The Cosmic Key")....

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar

Reading order of mini-comics

Does someone have a list or link of what order to read the mini comics? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    There you go

Masters of the Universe

* He-Man and the Power Sword
    * King of Castle Grayskull
    * Battle in the Clouds
    * The Vengeance of Skeletor

* The Magic Stealer!
    * He-Man Meets Ram-Man
    * The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces
    * The Terror of Tri-Klops
    * The Menace of Trap Jaw
    * The Tale of Teela
    * The Power of... Point Dread!

* Siege of Avion
    * Dragon's Gift
    * Masks of Power
    * He-Man and the Insect People
    * Slave City
    * The Secret Liquid of Life
    * The Temple of Darkness
    * Double-Edged Sword
    * Spikor Strikes
    * The Clash of Arms

* The Obelisk
    * The Battle of Roboto
    * Leech: The Master of Power Suction Unleashed!
    * Grizzlor: The Legend Comes Alive!
    * Mantenna and the Menace of the Evil Horde!
    * Hordak: The Ruthless Leader's Revenge!
    * Skeletor's Dragon
    * The Stench of Evil

* The Treachery of Modulok
    * The Flying Fists of Power
    * The Terror Claws Strike!
    * Rock People to the Rescue
    * Escape from the Slime Pit!
    * King of the Snake Men
    * The Fastest Draw in the Universe
    * Between a Rock and a Hard Place!
    * The Warrior Machine
    * Snake Attack!
    * The Menace of Multi-Bot
    * Eye of the Storm
    * The Hordes of Hordak

* The Ultimate Battleground!
    * The Search for Keldor
    * Revenge of the Snake Men
    * The Cosmic Key
    * Energy Zoids
    * Enter: Buzz-saw Hordak!
    * The Powers of Grayskull - The Legend Begins!

She-Ra: Princess of Power

* The Story of She-Ra
    * Journey to Mizar
    * The Hidden Symbols Mystery
    * Disappearing Treasures
    * Adventure of the Blue Diamond

* Across the Crystal Light Barrier
    * A Fishy Business
    * A Most Unpleasant Present
    * A Born Champion

* Don't Rain on my Parade
    * Where Hope has Gone
    * Fantastic Fashions

The New Adventures of He-Man

* The New Adventure
    * Skeletor's Journey
    * Battle for the Crystal
    * The Revenge of Skeletor
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    Wow! Thank you SO much! I'm off to read now. :-)

I just finished the Ultimate Battleground mini comic; and I have to ask.

What good is having the 'ultimate power' if you can only use it while inside the Central Tower?
    yeaaaahh ..... but then that happened...

THESE TRADERS HAVE THE POWER !!! - Thanks guys!

I have a couple of questions about the mini-comics. I just found my mini-comics yesterday evening and I was wondering about some things.

* I'm from Belgium and it seems that I'm missing a lot of comics from wave 2. I didn't miss any of the figures but I guess they were either accompanied by an older comic or a new comic. I remember having multiple copies of the first four comics, so I guess that's the explanation.

* Some of my comics are just in English, others have four languages and others only German and Italian (these last ones were much to the dismay of my father who had to translate them to me). Was that because of the production origin of the figures?

* I have a Spanish version of 'He-Man and the Power Sword' that has some images of the earliest toys in the middle of it. I got it from a friend who bought his Beast-Man while he was on vacation in Spain. Can somebody tell me more about this?

I needed to know this as well.. thanks!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Thanks for the reading order. I decided to just reorder my mini-comic scans.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by synthalus View Post
    There you go

Masters of the Universe

* He-Man and the Power Sword
    * King of Castle Grayskull
    * Battle in the Clouds
    * The Vengeance of Skeletor

* The Magic Stealer!
    * He-Man Meets Ram-Man
    * The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces
    * The Terror of Tri-Klops
    * The Menace of Trap Jaw
    * The Tale of Teela
    * The Power of... Point Dread!

* Siege of Avion
    * Dragon's Gift
    * Masks of Power
    * He-Man and the Insect People
    * Slave City
    * The Secret Liquid of Life
    * The Temple of Darkness
    * Double-Edged Sword
    * Spikor Strikes
    * The Clash of Arms

* The Obelisk
    * The Battle of Roboto
    * Leech: The Master of Power Suction Unleashed!
    * Grizzlor: The Legend Comes Alive!
    * Mantenna and the Menace of the Evil Horde!
    * Hordak: The Ruthless Leader's Revenge!
    * Skeletor's Dragon
    * The Stench of Evil

* The Treachery of Modulok
    * The Flying Fists of Power
    * The Terror Claws Strike!
    * Rock People to the Rescue
    * Escape from the Slime Pit!
    * King of the Snake Men
    * The Fastest Draw in the Universe
    * Between a Rock and a Hard Place!
    * The Warrior Machine
    * Snake Attack!
    * The Menace of Multi-Bot
    * Eye of the Storm
    * The Hordes of Hordak

* The Ultimate Battleground!
    * The Search for Keldor
    * Revenge of the Snake Men
    * The Cosmic Key
    * Energy Zoids
    * Enter: Buzz-saw Hordak!
    * The Powers of Grayskull - The Legend Begins!

She-Ra: Princess of Power

* The Story of She-Ra
    * Journey to Mizar
    * The Hidden Symbols Mystery
    * Disappearing Treasures
    * Adventure of the Blue Diamond

* Across the Crystal Light Barrier
    * A Fishy Business
    * A Most Unpleasant Present
    * A Born Champion

* Don't Rain on my Parade
    * Where Hope has Gone
    * Fantastic Fashions

The New Adventures of He-Man

* The New Adventure
    * Skeletor's Journey
    * Battle for the Crystal
    * The Revenge of Skeletor
    Is this list correct?

I only ask because after the well known first 4 mini comics, The Tale of Teela, The Magic Stealer and the Power of Point Dread are numbered 5, 6 and 7 respectively. They have the number in the right hand corner of the comic. Yet, in the above list they are placed in a different sequence

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Is this list correct?

I only ask because after the well known first 4 mini comics, The Tale of Teela, The Magic Stealer and the Power of Point Dread are numbered 5, 6 and 7 respectively. They have the number in the right hand corner of the comic. Yet, in the above list they are placed in a different sequence
    They're numbered as the fifth through seventh of the second series (I think). Also, I'm pretty certain there isn't 1 exact/proper reading order. I've actually done up my own reading order I may have to post some time. Parts of it are based on logical jumps (characters first appearances, or their evolution of design), and in cases where it isn't as important, I grouped others together (like all the Alacala-drawn issues before the first Lee Nordling-edited issues).

Edit: Also, the list leaves out the "not really a mini-comic but shipped with a toy" Power of Point Dread! - Danger at Castle Grayskull "book" (which is just as much a comic as the original 4 "mini-comics").
    Last edited by josh; August 18, 2011 at 12:43am.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Is this list correct?

As josh said, their numbering is only for them to be in "wave 2".

You can't really place "Tale of Teela" as 5th overall from starting with the mini-comics, because of the origins of Tri-Klops and Trap-Jaw.

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sompeetalay View Post
    I have a couple of questions about the mini-comics. I just found my mini-comics yesterday evening and I was wondering about some things.

* I'm from Belgium and it seems that I'm missing a lot of comics from wave 2. I didn't miss any of the figures but I guess they were either accompanied by an older comic or a new comic. I remember having multiple copies of the first four comics, so I guess that's the explanation.

* Some of my comics are just in English, others have four languages and others only German and Italian (these last ones were much to the dismay of my father who had to translate them to me). Was that because of the production origin of the figures?

* I have a Spanish version of 'He-Man and the Power Sword' that has some images of the earliest toys in the middle of it. I got it from a friend who bought his Beast-Man while he was on vacation in Spain. Can somebody tell me more about this?
    Belgian here as well... can't anser your questions directly but as far as the first two: same here my friend.

@ Hordefan: great question, I needed an update too. @Synthalus: thank you very much!
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They're numbered as the fifth through seventh of the second series (I think). Also, I'm pretty certain there isn't 1 exact/proper reading order. I've actually done up my own reading order I may have to post some time. Parts of it are based on logical jumps (characters first appearances, or their evolution of design), and in cases where it isn't as important, I grouped others together (like all the Alacala-drawn issues before the first Lee Nordling-edited issues).

Edit: Also, the list leaves out the "not really a mini-comic but shipped with a toy" Power of Point Dread! - Danger at Castle Grayskull "book" (which is just as much a comic as the original 4 "mini-comics").
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    As josh said, their numbering is only for them to be in "wave 2".

You can't really place "Tale of Teela" as 5th overall from starting with the mini-comics, because of the origins of Tri-Klops and Trap-Jaw.
    Thanks guys. I haven't had mini comics since I had the vintage toys. I started collecting them about 6-8 months ago so I just want to make sure they are in order.

For the time being I will use the above list as the reading order unless someone else offers up a better one

Thanks for posting this list. I was actually just going to ask the same question! Glad I searched first.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Help ordering the horde minicomics

Hi there,
    I have recently acquired the Horde minicomics which came with the figures and I would want to make a big minibook with all of them. I would want to know the chronological order. Not the order of release but the order in the story. I think that the first one is the one of Leech but not sure. Thanks a lot!

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    I went through and ordered the Mini-Comics early last year to make sense of the chronology, and I think it was probably very similar to the ones posted here...

The most difficult Wave to order, was the Horde Wave, but like the OP says, this is prob the correct order-

The Treachery of Modulok

Maybe try reading them through in that order, and see if you come across any inconsistencies...and let us know if you do (Infact, I'm going to read them in that order now and see for myself!)

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Great, I was just going to post a thread about the order of the mini-comics, and the search feature found one for me.

Keith and the others, thank you for your research into this!

My two cents is this: when I got some mini-comics, I put them in order according to serial number, naturally assuming the comic with the lowest number was written first, with successive numbers fitting in later, etc. But that doesn't seem to work. But shouldn't it?? (why couldn't they just number these things, lol)

Example: According to the serial #s, the order of these three should be:

• The Magic Stealer
    • The Power of...Point Dread!"
    • The Tale of Teela!

But, these are the 3 that have the #s in the upper right corner: 5, 6, and 7. Yet going by order of serial #, they read this way: 6, 7, 5.

It also puts "Hordak - The Ruthless Leader's Revenge" - before any of the mini-comics introducing Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, or Spikor.

So what's the deal??

If no one knows, I'll just have to go by this thread for the closest most logical continuity, although I thought surely the serial numbers were "the" way to go...but apparently not.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"