Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Problems with The Goddess - loose joints, brittle plastic, etc

Heroic Warrior
    I think you guys should do a location check on where all the broken figures are geographically-and then what the humidity is like in those places. Maybe the reason some are breaking is moisture in the air? Sometimes it can affect plastic, like dolls that sometimes suffer from vinyl deterioration spots if kept in humid conditions?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
    I think you guys should do a location check on where all the broken figures are geographically-and then what the humidity is like in those places. Maybe the reason some are breaking is moisture in the air? Sometimes it can affect plastic, like dolls that sometimes suffer from vinyl deterioration spots if kept in humid conditions?
    Are you serious???
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by flitzi View Post
    No, I just thought I'd type that out for the sheer joy of typing something. Yes, I'm serious, VDS is a real thing.

Widget
    Well, I am in Illinois and my Masters Collection is in a bedroom with climate control. AC in the Summer and modest heat in the Winter. No sunlight or dust present in the room.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I live in Northern Sweden, where the humidity is almost always naturally low. She broke during late summer, almost autumn, when it's starting to cool down.

I don't really think your humidity-theory can really be applied here. And Mattel themselves have admitted that there is some problems with breakage. But they keep refusing to admit that it was the plastic, rather they are saying that the manufacturing-process was somehow too rough, so that micro-fractures, and stresslines are introduced everywhere in the plastic, which eventually cracks it completely.

But let's focus on how MANY are actually broken, because I think it's fairly obvious that it's in fact shoddy plastic that are at the root of this problem.

This poll of broken Goddesses needs better promotion. I'm not sure all members will be checking this amalgam thread
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Hey guys.

I know the count-off on broken Goddess figures got merged into this general discussion.
    Reason being is this figure is a year old.

I hate to say it, but a count-off at this point isn't gonna help.
    It would have been more useful right when the figure debuted. When it was a hot topic, Mattel may have acted on it, and more people would have participated.

As you can see, even the count-off thread had already started to break off into discussion.
    So, no harm meant. I just think it's too late for such a thing to do any good.

BUT, if you want to start a Poll thread in the Poll subsection where people can can vote if they have a broken Goddess or not,
    I think that would be a much better idea.

There's a sum-up thread of how many Goddess figures were ordered,
    but not one dealing with how many people have a broken Goddess.

If someone would start that up, that would be cool.
    And we can add the link to the first post here in the general discussion thread.

Thanks!

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar

Won't a poll be unreliable when some people who had an unbroken Goddess and voted so suddenly find her crumbling in their hands?

Heroic Warrior
    gbagok is right.
    These figures donīt come out of their boxes in pieces (at least we all hope so). But nobody knows when they gonna shatter. So even if one has an intact Goddess, this might change the very next minute. Just as in Alec77īs example. The figure crumbled to pieces just from carrying it, not even touching the legs.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

True.
    The poll should probably be edited to apply to only loose figures removed from the package.

I would also change it so that the poll is solely for broken Goddesses. If someone has a non-broken one, then they don't vote. That way, when and if it does break, their vote can be counted.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I got three Goddess figures when it first came out in 2009. I tried not to touch them and have been extremely careful handling them so that they wouldn't break. So far they are all still in one piece. After reading all the recent posts, discussions and watching the video by Bcrduke on the subject, I decided to examine mine and see how they are holding up. I carefully used hairdryer, gently lift the skirts and there they are, the shattered pelvises. All three of them have cracks. One of them looks okay at first, but after a closer look, I still find a tiny crack. I think the reasons that my Goddess figures didn't fall apart are 1) the hard rubber skirts are actually holding the shattered pieces together, and 2) I have been really, really, really careful handling the figures. Still, defective figures are defective. Now I suddenly realize that I have broken Goddess figures and I don't know what to do.

I would like to urge all to re-examine Goddess figures in your collection (very, very carefully if you don't want to break yours) and see if yours is actually okay. I certainly hope that mine is just an isolated case, but it is likely that more cases like mine will surface. I just want to report this and I really hope that Mattel will somehow find a way to replace these defective figures for all the fans.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm-Ore View Post
    I got three Goddess figures when it first came out in 2009. I tried not to touch them and have been extremely careful handling them so that they wouldn't break. So far they are all still in one piece. After reading all the recent posts, discussions and watching the video by Bcrduke on the subject, I decided to examine mine and see how they are holding up. I carefully used hairdryer, gently lift the skirts and there they are, the shattered pelvises. All three of them have cracks. One of them looks okay at first, but after a closer look, I still find a tiny crack. I think the reasons that my Goddess figures didn't fall apart are 1) the hard rubber skirts are actually holding the shattered pieces together, and 2) I have been really, really, really careful handling the figures. Still, defective figures are defective. Now I suddenly realize that I have broken Goddess figures and I don't know what to do.

I would like to urge all to re-examine Goddess figures in your collection (very, very carefully if you don't want to break yours) and see if yours is actually okay. I certainly hope that mine is just an isolated case, but it is likely that more cases like mine will surface. I just want to report this and I really hope that Mattel will somehow find a way to replace these defective figures for all the fans.
    when i caller DR they said my purchase was more then 60 days so they cant do anything for me
    and when my second one broke from last weeks sale , they want to examine the figure before they can send me a reissue

Goddess broke today, and all I did was pick her up. Fortunately she still stands well.

but don't turn her over!

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...en_goddess.jpg
    Just checked my Goddess and sure enough, there is a crack in the plastic under the skirt. The legs are still attached, but I daren't move her legs at all now for fear of worsening her further.

mine broke today after i took her out of the package (see the 'u.k. fans' thread and the 'january goddess' thread started by bcrduke for images) ... ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/x...en_goddess.jpg
    the funny thing is that the broke part is not the translucent plastic, is the dark part, i think u should use super glue on them before got broke
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    the funny thing is that the broke part is not the translucent plastic, is the dark part, i think u should use super glue on them before got broke
    That part is made of the same translucent plastic as the rest of her, it's just painted dark green.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Just checked my Goddess and sure enough, there is a crack in the plastic under the skirt. The legs are still attached, but I daren't move her legs at all now for fear of worsening her further.
    Sorry to hear that. If you got yours this time, I'd suggest that you get a replacement or refund. If not, I hope that she will stay in one piece. And let's hope that Mattel will offer a good solution for all the Goddess fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    I know, but I probably will leave them as they are because my hands are actually pretty clumsy. It took me a great deal of courage to take that picture and I really don't want to go through it again.

Well, my replacement Godess broke today despite handling her with utmost care. Good thing I also got a perfect Skeletor and Battlecat in the box as well. Instead of bugging Matty for yet another figure that will most likely break, I'll just glue this one up. Sad though, I still like this figure in concept, just wished she didn't explode, only Horde Troopers are supposed to do that

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck20 View Post
    Well, my replacement Godess broke today despite handling her with utmost care.

Amazing how Mattel has released remaining product KNOWING full well that it's defective and prone to breaking just by looking at it. On top of that, they didn't even discount it.

Make no mistake, if the He-Man community was much larger and this selling of defective product was mainstream, they'd do ANYTHING to correct the matter. But because the line is small, they're not worried in the least about PR issues.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Son-of-a-monkey!

There went my Goddess.
    I picked her up by her waist & her leg fell off along with a chunk of the piece under her skirt.

I used my trusty Loctite superglue & she has 2 legs again but damn, her pelvis finally broke.

Death by snoo-snoo.
    I want my other half.

My Amputated Valentine (An MOTUC Goddess Story)

"You may have only one leg, but it's the most beautiful leg in the world." -Deuce Bigalow

This morning I decided to start taking some pictures of an epic battle to post in the thread started by Haradrel. In case anyone's followed any of my figure parts mixing and the bios I include with my figures, this battle is going to be based on my Dark Enforcer Count Marzo. This means a big throwdown between Marzo and Zodak to start a huge "Crisis"-like story.

There's still snow on the ground around my apartment complex and I figured this would make for some great set pieces for a battle in the mountains. I took pictures of an epilogue of sorts featuring a slew of heroic warriors who really have nothing to do with the initial battle. The Goddess was supposed to be featured as appearing before He-Man and Man-At-Arms, but unable to be seen by others. She was to warn them of the coming doom from Marzo's escape. Her presence was even going to set Teela off on her clairvoyance so she would voice something to MAA about pursuing Marzo through the storm on the mountain. There would've been a bit of a stand off between them with MAA ordering Teela to lead everyone back to the palace he and He-Man continued an investigation.

If you have any idea where I'm going with this, that didn't happen.

My Goddess was safe in a box. I pulled her out, put the spear in her hand and gently tried to position her leg to stand on the incline all the other figures were standing on. Two crotch pieces and her leg were left in my hand. There's another crotch piece that ended up lost somewhere in the parking lot. I've babied this damn toy more than a dozen eggs in a freaking glass carton since I got it from the first run! I'll credit the figure's longevity to the fact that I rarely touched it after hearing so many people getting broken figures that came right out of the package. I've even taken the armor off to make a Goddess She-Ra mix-up and I still had no problems. All of the sudden this thing has fallen victim to the defective plastic that Toyguru has practically gone on record confirming this known issue.

All of my older MOTU figures have held up perfect being stuck in plastic Wal-Mart sacks stuck in cardboard boxes stuck in my parents' garage through the years in next-to-extreme hot and cold temperatures. I kept the Goddess in my apartment at room temperature, take her outside in about 35 degrees (which is about the same temperature as it was when she was delivered) and she breaks. Guess I get to make some super glue panties for her just like bcrduke had to. This is a great way for one of your loyal MOTUC subscribers to start this Valentine's Day, Mattel. One silver lining here is that I used my anger and frustration to write a parody since I rarely get the opportunity to sit down with a song to rip it to shreds anymore.

I’ve written a letter to Matty
    ‘Cause my Goddess figure has broke
    Their toy quality is a joke

Instead of by mail, it’s on Facebook
    The best way to get my point through
    Saying “I hate you!”
    Last edited by wallbie; February 14, 2011 at 01:24pm.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    mine broke today after i took her out of the package (see the 'u.k. fans' thread and the 'january goddess' thread started by bcrduke for images) ... ...
    so i got a shipping note e-mail today for a goddess figure ... $29.95 (inc. shipping) but with a 'discount: 100%' message on the bottom of the notice ...

does this mean i'm getting a free replacement?? ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION