Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty's MOTUC review of the year (Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I believe Mattel is blatantly (and once again) LYING to us, one way or the other !

During the last months, they repeatedly told us that many things were completely unsure and yet unknown for 2010 (including the bonus figures status), and now they'd like for us to belive that "all is planned until 2016" ?

Either they're lying to us when they tell us that things are still unsure and unknown for 2010, OR they're lying when they tell us that things are already planned until 2016.
    Or they could just be playing it safe, and have an open-ended plan to 2016, but there is still stuff in 2010 that is not fully concrete yet...which I would believe. Meaning they have plans, but even up till next year, it could go under many changes. They are probably only working at 5-6 months in advance in the concrete plans area.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I believe Mattel is blatantly (and once again) LYING to us, one way or the other !

During the last months, they repeatedly told us that many things were completely unsure and yet unknown for 2010 (including the bonus figures status), and now they'd like for us to belive that "all is planned until 2016" ?

Either they're lying to us when they tell us that things are still unsure and unknown for 2010, OR they're lying when they tell us that things are already planned until 2016.
    If Zodak and Goddess performed better we would have increased the "bonus" figures beyond what we needed as "insurance figures". Each performed well, but not well enough to justify doing additional figures purely as additional figures-of-the-month. As we have always stated, we needed to see how they did first. Now we know. And the decision is to stick with only the "bonus" figures needed to insure there is always a one new figure each month should any production delays happen. If these figures sold out quicker we might have added more knowing the demand was there.

Does that clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    If Zodak and Goddess performed better we would have increased the "bonus" figures beyond what we needed as "insurance figures". Each performed well, but not well enough to justify doing additional figures purely as additional figures-of-the-month. As we have always stated, we needed to see how they did first. Now we know. And the decision is to stick with only the "bonus" figures needed to insure there is always a one new figure each month should any production delays happen. If these figures sold out quicker we might have added more knowing the demand was there.

Does that clarify?
    Ah...well damn. Thanks for clearing that up TG.

If I might ask, how much better would they have had to sell out? Less than 24 hours? 5 hours? Less than that? Or is there another area you guys were looking to for the popularity of the Bonus Figures?
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Oooh no. :/ Makes me quite sad to hear that, because I'm one of those folks who was actually looking forward to there being a bonus almost every single month in 2010 on.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Well, you really can't disappoint, seeing that this is your
    opinion. I believe common sense would tell us that they planned
    for a worse and best case scenario regarding the line. TG has
    repeatedly stated that many things are dependent on the sales of
    the bonus figures and beast figures. If they were lying why even
    bother divulging this much information on Facebook?
    They have really nothing to gain by doing this. Seriously do you really
    have to be this negative?

Good year in review! Glad to see the line planned out for a while
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Heroic Warrior
    Does that clarify ?
    More or less, Toyguru. More or less... Then the right wording should have been the following : "We have general plans until 2016, but we determine the specifics and the exact plan little by little and carefully, following the results of the sales".
    I am surprised to see that the bonus figures seem to have not done so good to Mattel's tastes. I guess the criteria of a "successful" sale must be "sold under less than 1 hour", then.
    I wonder if the Firm will be as "chilly" to invest in the line in 2010 (cf. the unique sculpt characters issue)... Or may we hope for more diversity and unique sculpts and parts ?
    Last edited by Spectror; December 24, 2009 at 09:50pm.

Of course a movie release or if Mattel is able to gain access to any additional MOTU characters things could change. It is a very flexible plan, but at least we have a roadmap to get us where we want to go and to insure the bios tell a nice full story revealed bit by bit.
    I am around 80% sure this means Shadow Weaver and those awesome Filmation characters are coming! That's great.

@Spectror

It is stated that they have a FLEXIBLE plan up to 2016 which means that it's not a plan that's set in stone. It is quite obvious that Zodak and Goddess didn't do very well. The former was said to have a very limited run and yet took almost two weeks to sell out. One might say "but it still sold out". That may actually mean nothing. Zodak might have been produced in very limited quantities just for them to see how he would perform. Their plan might have been to increase the numbers once they could verify that they could sell a fair amount of figures in a reasonable amount of time. I guess, due to the time it took for him to sell out, it is just not worthwhile for them to put on sale such a limited amount of figures.

In the end if the whole line doesn't sell well in 2010 it is highly unlikely we'll actually see the figures planned for 2012. Let's hope that doesn't happen! These are just my thoughts, of course.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Does that clarify?
    The (amazing!) facebook post says there are 3-4 bonus figures planned for 2010. I was just wondering if that includes BA He-Man and Battle-Cat, or are those in addition to what we already know?

Thanks for the great, informative post. Exciting times! Roll on February.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Thank you Spacedust for this post. What a great MOTU year it was!!

Does that clarify?
    I for one am super happy we are not getting bonus figures every month, I was fine with just 1 and the occasional extra figure. My fear was always that the line would gain too many figures, not sell as well and then be killed. So if it takes 1 fig a month to make sure everyone gets out then big flipping deal.

It also helps in my pocketbook, as I am sure it does many other orgers.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I am around 80% sure this means Shadow Weaver and those awesome Filmation characters are coming! That's great.
    I agree. That gives me so much hope that we will see Scorpia and Shadow Weaver. I'm also insanely excited about these mystery SKUs that nobody's expecting!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    That was interesting. So the bonus figures are really just backups huh? That is kind of cool and kind of sucks at the same time. As for reissues, I just hope we get reissues of Faker and Hordak, as I need 2 Fakers, and I need a MOC Hordak along with a Hordak that does not have leg issues. On the subject of a movie, I really do hope a movie happens so we can get some figures in the same style in actual stores, as that would be pretty cool. Now I just hope the lack of bonus figures means that production quality on the regular figures will go up. And honestly, as much as I want them to get to my favorite characters, I'd rather spend $40 a month for 2 of 1 figure, than $132 a month for 6 of 3 figures.
    Last edited by Dr Kain; December 24, 2009 at 10:15pm.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    My fear was always that the line would gain too many figures, not sell as well and then be killed. So if it takes 1 fig a month to make sure everyone gets out then big flipping deal.
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

Not to come across as negative, but what I would like to know is how the POP and NA properties will be handled if a major player or character who is perceived to be popular under performs or outright flops? Will they continue testing out other characters from those brands or just stick with classic MOTU?

POP fans, let Zodak and The Goddess be a lesson to us. Don't hesitate when Adora rolls around.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I'm planning on buying 2 of each POP figure just do my part to help the line. I'm good for several Shadow Weavers and Scorpias if you're reading this Toyguru!!!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I for one am super happy we are not getting bonus figures every month, I was fine with just 1 and the occasional extra figure. My fear was always that the line would gain too many figures, not sell as well and then be killed. So if it takes 1 fig a month to make sure everyone gets out then big flipping deal.

It also helps in my pocketbook, as I am sure it does many other orgers.
    I totally agree.

I just saw this news, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT.

Thanks Matty , Mattel, ToyGuru and 4HM for the main ("Master") product on the world

Heroic Warrior
    In the end if the whole line doesn't sell well in 2010 it is highly unlikely we'll actually see the figures planned for 2012. Let's hope that doesn't happen! These are just my thoughts, of course.
    Yes, I share the same thoughts ! Now, honestly, I hope the MOTU movie won't be released any time soon... I remember Mattel stating (several months ago) that if a movie was released, there would be some figures too, but that those figures would be different from the MOTUC canon (another line, in other words). So I'm actually afraid that a movie might be harmful to the Classics line...

As far as I am concerned, I've been collecting MOTU, NA, 200X, MOTUC, even some POP... but I don't want to collect any more product MOTU related. To me, MOTUC is the ultimate and LAST Masters of the Universe product that I buy. So this line'd better last for a long time, and be as awesome as possible...
    Last edited by Spectror; December 24, 2009 at 10:53pm.

Toyguru,

What's the word on Moss Man? When will we see the final version of him?

Plus, many of us are concerned about the production number on BA He-Man and Battlecat. These are FAR more likely to sell quicker and be more in-demand than Zodak or Goddess. Will there be as many BA He-Mans and Battle Cats produced as the subscription figures, or will it be a significantly less amount?

And is Goddess on track to sell out in about the same amount of time as Zodak or is there still a significant number of her left? Also, what's up with the neck joint on Teela/Goddess as almost everyone has complained of a "bobblehead?" Will Evil-Lyn suffer from this as well?
    Last edited by RockinHard; December 24, 2009 at 11:11pm.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Overall this is great news. In a sense, I am glad that there won't be a bonus figure every month since that does make things a bit hard on the wallet.

But, having said that, I do wish (come 2011 or as soon as it can be implemented) that there would be a way for subscribers to "lock in" any bonus figures that do come out (i.e. He-Man/Skeletor variants, extra large Beasts like Battlecat, etc).

The problem is that the subscriptions are being designed in a way that the agreement is for a specific amount of figures up front. And I understand that this is likely necessary for legal reasons (i.e. not allowing people to back out on the subscriptions, etc). However, the issue is that many fans, myself included, just want to be able to lock in any and all new figures that are coming out over the course of the year, regardless of how many that is (within reason, of course).

If that means in a year, only exactly 12 figures come out, fine, then it will be for the 12. If it ends up being 16, then we will get all 16. If things were to somehow get REALLY off track and only 10 or 11 figures came out, fine, then it would be for those.

There really needs to be some kind of happy medium. And I hope that by the time comes around to sign up for the 2011 subscription, this can be worked out. Perhaps having people specifically agree to the 12 figures for the year, then allowing subscribers the option to 'opt-in' for any additional bonus figures/items that get released, prior to the actual sale date.

I know that I am not saying anything that hasn't been said before. And overall, despite the issues along the way, this line has been great, and the year in a review and the tentative plans all sound EXCELLENT!

But the only one sticking point with me is the continued need to be on the computer right when things go on sale on the 15th. The whole reason that I subscribed was to avoid this. Granted, neither Zodak or Goddess were really huge, fast sell outs by any means, but I really had no way of knowing that for certain before they went on sale, so I still feel the need to be on at the "zero hour" just to be sure. And Battle Armor He-Man has the potential to be a rather quick sell out, and I'm sure Battlecat will be gone in a flash. So, it would be nice to have some way to lock those in ahead of time as well. So, how quickly future bonus items sell out is iffy at this point.

If this one issue can be fixed at some point, then I (and I'm sure many other fans) will be very, very happy.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Informative post and nice review of the year. However, I don't want to wait until 2016 for characters like Ram Man and Man-E-Faces. There are only a few more characters I want, and I would like to be able to stop collecting this line within the next year or two.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

2016! wow!! Hopefully they push up a few important characters (SORCERESS!!!!!!!!!)

I am excited about the information and Evil Lyn having three more accessories, I would assume one of them is an alternate helmetless head. I hope so atleast, with three more accessories, they should be able to fit that in.

I am a little worried about the "bonus" figures being variations, I am fine with what they have done so far, but if monthly figures get messed up and they start shipping me Disco He-man for a monthly slot...I will not be happy lol

Otherwise, all in all, sounds amazing!!! Hope this really happens and that a movie comes out to push out figures more quickly. 2016 is a long ways away.

Here's hoping some of the sku's they are talking about, that no one expects, will be Shadow Weaver in 2011!!!!! he he he

Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    Informative post and nice review of the year. However, I don't want to wait until 2016 for characters like Ram Man and Man-E-Faces. There are only a few more characters I want, and I would like to be able to stop collecting this line within the next year or two.
    I highly doubt that those two will make that late of an appearance
    in the line. They seem to be on the top of everyones list.

I always want this line to do well-- and it is-- but I'm glad that we are only getting one figure a month. I'm happy for the occasional bonus figure every other month or so, as well as anything else they might have planned. But, I usually buy at least two of each figure and when you start putting out 2 or 3 characters a month, that kinda adds up fast! (Mainly due to tax and shipping. I still think 20 bucks is a price point I can live with.)

I have no interest in the New Adventures stuff, so I hope they keep it on the back burner for a while. There are still way too many cool original characters I'm anxious to see!
    Come be a part of my Toy News Network-- updated daily! - http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

Read all about the best legendary toy lines at Stinny's Toy History! - http://toy-history.blogspot.com/

Does that clarify?
    This is hilairous, considering they didn't even last a month. Maybe Goddess might last a month, but I doubt it. I am also wondering how quickly Mattel wanted them to sell out.

I think a figure "should" be available for 2 weeks! Not 2 hours or 2 days. Atleast a week to two weeks

I think a bonus figure every other month would have been good. However since they were really just repaints with not much accessories...I am glad they aren't as often. Now if alternate heads would have been included with Goddess and Zodak...I think they would have sold a lot quicker. Even with the repainted bodies, the alternate heads would have made them more unique to fans and collectors then just a repaint.
    Last edited by CicconeSC; December 24, 2009 at 11:32pm.