Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone at Mattel checking the figures during production?

Is anyone at Mattel checking the figures during production?

I just had to ask this question, because to me it doesn't seem like they are inspecting the produced figures.

Fact: I haven't heard anyone mention that their Goddess figure had a non-bobble head.

So if this is the case, wouldn't Mattel have noticed all of their Goddess figures heads were wobbly?

If Mattel did in fact inspect the quality of their figures and noticed they all had bobble heads, why did they continue to produce them and then send them to customers?

Now, Mattel is trying to throw out cheap options to fix the situation even though they knew of the problem and if they didn't know of the problem that is sad. These are being mass produced and the quality isn't being checked?

If it was me inspecting at Mattel, I would check the first 5-15 female bucks that come out in production to ensure the neck post is not loose. Then once those 15 were coming out correctly, I would then check every 20 - 35th female buck in production to ensure the post is still correctly being inserted. So on and so forth until the production of that female buck is complete.

Every production line has a quality inspector working, this isn't asking much. I am not sure what process is first, but I am sure the neck post is inserted before the head is placed on the body. It should be easy to fix if the machine/person is inserting the peg incorrectly causing the peg to be loose.

Teela must have been checked, since some of them did not have bobble heads or atleast were produced correctly.

What do you guys think? Do you feel Mattel is checking the quality of the produced figures? If you do feel they are, what is your reasoning as to why all the Goddess figures were continued to be made with bobble heads?

I am not saying you are wrong if you feel the quality was inspected, but just curious as to how you feel and why you think it was inspected.
    Last edited by CicconeSC; December 30, 2009 at 12:27am.

I just posed that same question to someone the other day. My Goddess personally has a split neck and the head cannot be re-attached. So I'm probably bias on this one.

But with all the problems with that figure in particular I find myself asking if Mattel even touched one of these figures before they gave the mass produce a go ahead.

On another related note...is it the translucent plastic that has caused them to be so brittle in the joints, especially the neck area?
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

I am thinking the translucent plastic is much more fragile then Teela's plastic. Although we could just notice it easier since it is translucent and the same damage being done with the removal of the Goddess head could be happening with Teela.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by CicconeSC View Post
    I just had to ask this question, because to me it doesn't seem like they are inspecting the produced figures.

Fact: I haven't heard anyone mention that their Goddess figure had a non-bobble head.

So if this is the case, wouldn't Mattel have noticed all of their Goddess figures heads were wobbly?

If Mattel did in fact inspect the quality of their figures and noticed they all had bobble heads, why did they continue to produce them and then send them to customers?

Now, Mattel is trying to throw out cheap options to fix the situation even though they knew of the problem and if they didn't know of the problem that is sad. These are being mass produced and the quality isn't being checked?

If it was me inspecting at Mattel, I would check the first 5-15 female bucks that come out in production to ensure the neck post is not loose. Then once those 15 were coming out correctly, I would then check every 20 - 35th female buck in production to ensure the post is still correctly being inserted. So on and so forth until the production of that female buck is complete.

Every production line has a quality inspector working, this isn't asking much. I am not sure what process is first, but I am sure the neck post is inserted before the head is placed on the body. It should be easy to fix if the machine/person is inserting the peg incorrectly causing the peg to be loose.

Teela must have been checked, since some of them did not have bobble heads or atleast were produced correctly.

What do you guys think? Do you feel Mattel is checking the quality of the produced figures? If you do feel they are, what is your reasoning as to why all the Goddess figures were continued to be made with bobble heads?

I am not saying you are wrong if you feel the quality was inspected, but just curious as to how you feel and why you think it was inspected.

Only one of my goddess has a bobble head. None of my Teelas do and its basically the same figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Only one of my goddess has a bobble head. None of my Teelas do and its basically the same figure.
    It is nice to know that someone actually got a Goddess without a bobblehead. Thanks for letting me know, so there were some that were made without the bobble-head.

Just a question, do you notice the space difference with the non-bobble head Goddess and the bobble-headed one? (on the neck joint)

Or is there anything else you notice between the two that could be causing the bobble-head effect?

It seems to me that the ball is not in the neck joint correctly, as if it is just barely off the area it should be in.

I have two Teelas and a Goddess, and none of them have bobble heads. The problem is quality control.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think the bobble heads don't bother them. They said that although the heads seem loose and wobbly, the neck peg is actually very sturdy.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I guess we really need Toyguru/Mattel to answer to the question asked on this thread...

In answer to your initial question My Skeletor had two left legs.

So what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorthing View Post
    In answer to your initial question My Skeletor had two left legs.

So what do you think?
    i think there was another skeletor with 2 right legs

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Well, I think one important thing to remember is that a huge chunk of collectors haven't even received their Goddess yet (I'm still waiting for the rest of my Scareglows and rr He-Man, let alone December's figures), so maybe it needs a while longer to assess that particular case.

But with the checking of figures during production in general... it kind of worries me, some of the stories I've heard of figures with two left / right legs, back-to-front arms, missing accessories, sloppy paint jobs....

It worries me that these would get released in such a state in the first place. The additional worry is for us overseas collectors, that we have little to fall back on, and even if we can return them, we'd be so out of pocket on postage, etc., that it wouldn't really be worth it.

Thankfully, I haven't had any such production problems (yet... touch wood), bar the odd slightly dodgy paint job here and there, but opening a figure and praying that there's nothing wrong with it is yet another example of how un-joyous collecting this line can be at times. Which is a shame, cos I truly love MOTUC.
    Last edited by Spacedust; December 30, 2009 at 12:04pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I don't think they are checking.

If they ARE it just proves that they are ripping off the adult collector. Adult collector lines are supposed to be of higher quality (HENCE the $20 a piece price tag).

In this case, the quality is not what it should be, and it is decreasing (we are likely to get female figures with non-articulated heads... I do NOT count 'side-to-side' head movement as real articulation in this day and age, especially in a line where male figures get near-perfect neck articulation
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    I heard that Mattel hired Stevie Wonder to personally inspect each and every MOTUC figure coming down the line!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_raccoon View Post
    I heard that Mattel hired Stevie Wonder to personally inspect each and every MOTUC figure coming down the line!
    OMG, bad joke aside, I met Stevie Wonder about 15 years ago and he was the biggest jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I don't think they are checking.

If they ARE it just proves that they are ripping off the adult collector. Adult collector lines are supposed to be of higher quality (HENCE the $20 a piece price tag).

In this case, the quality is not what it should be, and it is decreasing (we are likely to get female figures with non-articulated heads... I do NOT count 'side-to-side' head movement as real articulation in this day and age, especially in a line where male figures get near-perfect neck articulation
    But when adult collectors make a choice to be ripped off, that's another story. Most posters here are aware of the issues with Mattel's MOTUC products, yet many keep on buying, complaining, buying, complaining, buying ...

I know MOTUC is the only He-man/She-ra game in town, but we can choose to stop buying the products. No one is forcing us to buy these.
    Last edited by Teelor; December 30, 2009 at 12:50pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    The runs on most MOTUC figures (especially the "bonus figures") are so small that by the time we get samples, most of the run is complete. This is one reason you see two "different" Randors. Our samples had too much red in the face so we asked for them to tone it down. But by the time this was implemented, most of the production was done.

We're working with our vendors to try and get samples earlier, but it is not always possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The runs on most MOTUC figures (especially the "bonus figures") are so small that by the time we get samples, most of the run is complete. This is one reason you see two "different" Randors. Our samples had too much red in the face so we asked for them to tone it down. But by the time this was implemented, most of the production was done.

We're working with our vendors to try and get samples earlier, but it is not always possible.
    Cool bit of info. on the Randors!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky_raccoon View Post
    Blimey. Isn't that blindist or something? There's probably a word for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Teelor View Post
    OMG, bad joke aside, I met Stevie Wonder about 15 years ago and he was the biggest jerk!
    Maybe he didn't like the look of you. Oh no, now I'm doing it!

Anyway, I agree with BCRDuke, for an adult collector line, and one carrying a hefty $20 price tag at that, we really deserve better.
    No doubt some will insist that the price needs to be raised to improve quality (similar to how someone was saying that the price for Battle Armor He-Man should be raised to $22 to cover the price of a Power Sword being included - ridiculous!) but personally I think we are pumping more than enough cash into this line. For one of the supposedly biggest toy companies in the world, I'd really expect better from Mattel.

They can maybe blame Digital River for their website and "front end" problems, but regarding production problems with the figures themselves, the ball is firmly in Mattel's court!!

Regarding Toyguru's comment (not intended to be a pop at Toyguru personally) - one minute we hear that the line is a roaring success, breaking all expections, the next we hear that it's only being produced in very small quantities. Colour me confused!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Why do you keep referring to "vendors"? Shouldn't it be "employees"? Does Mattel not own a single factory of their own? You should be able to see these on the day, or at least have a Q.C. rep on-site who is able to report back.

If not, then isn't it possible for these "vendors" to produce a batch of, say, 50-100 then halt production of that character, send the samples, and while the samples are being evaluated, they do the next character's 50-100 then send those out. This way no actual production time is lost.

I just don't understand how we're a stone's throw away from 2010, and the world's foremost toy company's hands are so clumsily tied concerning the quality control evaluation of one of it's most important product lines. We're talking about the modern incarnation of the most successful toys in recorded history. I can unlock a door from anywhere in the world using a keypad code on a cell phone, but Mattel Toys Inc. has no power over it's own product until it's too late?
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Great, because the QC is not good.

Thanks TG, hopefully this will improve for next year and we'll see less complaining (never happen)

Sounds like you need a man on the ground to run QC in real time. Can I send you my resume?

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    On the whole, the Mattel really needs to work on their quality control. Its not just their MOTU figures, but almost every toyline they have has tons of problems. I stopped buying DC Universe figures because of their poor quality.

Would it kill Mattel to have a few more guys double check the figures before they package them. I mean somebody has to put them in the wrap. Why don't they just move the joints around just to quickly check them out.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I was at Wal*Mart and seeing the 27 Power Girls they had there decided to pick one up. I get home and open the box to find something odd with her left leg...

I gave up trying to analyze it when I realized BOTH her legs, from mid thigh to ankle, were on the wrong side of her body. the feet are on the right sides though. I thought of boiling and popping... then I realized I'm not going to waste my time. I'm going to make her into Shadow Weaver...

PS. I'm still hoping we can one day have an official Weaver.

Good answer. If the system works that way, then I'm crossing my fingers that the re-release of Stratos has the wings corrected.

Toy Guru I appreciate you answering this thread, however I am disappointed by your answer.

It is sad to know that Mattel doesn't even have a representative from america on the factory floor, checking quality.

Production plants I have been to, there is always someone checking on the quality of each section of the process...maybe these plants are unique lol I doubt it

This is why the quality control issues are happening. Mattel isn't checking the quality again until the corrected samples are given AFTER production.

That doesn't make sense....wouldn't you want to check during produciton and ensuring the figures are coming out correctly.

But like I said, thanks for posting a response, which you didn't have to...it is nice to know that you are reading
    Last edited by CicconeSC; December 31, 2009 at 01:20am.