Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Blast-Attak Discussion

MOTUC Blast-Attak Discussion

Blast-Attak was one of my favorite characters as a kid. I always liked his Frankenstein/cyborg appearance. I also liked that he was part of the Snakemen, as was stated in the mini-comics.

Some people have said that they think a MOTUC version would require a whole new body mold to produce a figure, but I think that much of the figure could be made of existing parts. (Of course, some of these parts don't exist yet, but I am sure they will in the near future.)

I think that "NA" Skeletor's arms and gloves attached to Trap Jaw's shoulders would work well. They could also use the legs from a New Adventures figure for Blast-Attak, such as Optikk. As for his chest armor, it could be a removable armor placed on a Hordak torso.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 11, 2010 at 11:06pm.

I can't wait for him to be made, and I hope he is a member of the Snakemen.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

That's....very likely. Good work!

I don't think we're going to see this one anytime soon.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

I was just thinking about this character last night and had a thought: "what if they don't make Blast-Attack because, fundamentally, he's a suicide bomber?".

I personally think that would be rediculous, but I also don't own a giant multi-national toy company either.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Toygiant View Post
    I was just thinking about this character last night and had a thought: "what if they don't make Blast-Attack because, fundamentally, he's a suicide bomber?".

I personally think that would be ridiculous, but I also don't own a giant multi-national toy company either.

What do you guys think?
    Blast-Attak didn't appear in the 200x toy-line, and it is possible that if he did, his character would have been modified. It's easy to see how an action figure who blows himself up to injure and destroy others would be unsuitable for today's children.

Since a MOTUC figure wouldn't have any "action features", this wouldn't really be much of a problem. However, I wouldn't be upset at all with Mattel if they updated his character's bio so that his "exploding" feature was removed.

The name Blast-Attak doesn't necessarily have to be used to reference that the character blows himself up. Perhaps the character can create "sonic blasts" to take out his enemies. They could also give him a large laser cannon that he uses for "blast attacks", or they could simply update his red axe so that it is an axe/laser rifle combo (similar to what they used in the MOTU 1987 movie).

Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 10, 2010 at 06:24am.

Can't wait for this character myself. He's so fascinating.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Blast-Attak didn't appear in the 200x toy-line, and it is possible that if he did, his character would have been modified. It's easy to see how an action figure who blows himself up to injure and destroy others would be unsuitable for today's children.
    But MOTUC isn't for today's children at all. It's an adult toyline.

If Marvel can have Nitro and Civil War was for adults and teens, we, as mature adults, can have Blast Attak blow himself up.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    But MOTUC isn't for today's children at all. It's an adult toyline.

If Marvel can have Nitro and Civil War was for adults and teens, we, as mature adults, can have Blast Attak blow himself up.
    Yes, that's true, but MOTU will most likely be sold in stores again someday, in some form, for kids. Best to make the changes now, in that regard.

I love this AF! Andi love the explosion of the body!! I hope there are in the MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Toygiant View Post

I personally think that would be rediculous, but I also don't own a giant multi-national toy company either.

What do you guys think?
    Good point.

Whether this is considered a line for Adult Collectors or not it's still being produced by a Big Corporation that fundimentally faces a Kid's market - they might be shy of certain concepts in today's world and self-detonating characters could easily fall into that catagory. NECA or McFarlane toys they aint.

Or they could just be Matty and totally fail to notice......like the excess Lead in the paint. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    I can't wait for him to be made, and I hope he is a member of the Snakemen.
    Yeah, if he comes out we'll finally sort that one out (logo on the box)

@ Captain Atkin

It's my fav figure too!

He was one of my favourite characters as well! I hope he comes out (soon) and that he is a member of the snakemen, there are only 6 of them, there are more than enough evil warriors...

We must have Blast-Attak. He missed out on a figure in 200x and is badly over due. BA is one of MOTU's coolest characters, IMHO.

It seems simple enough to emphasise Blast-Attak's splitting-in-two for combat flexibility gimmick as opposed to emphasising the exploding nature of the character as seen in the mini-comic.

I never saw him as a suicide bomber because (like DC's Damage) BA's 'life' is not put at risk.

MOTUC Blast-Attak must definitely split in two. If we can have removable heads on MOTUC figures, we can have pull-apart halves for Blast-Attak.

Also, I desperately don't want him to be beneficiarry of re-used parts. Blast Attack came before those other NA figures - if necessary the NA guys can receive repainted BA arms and legs if that is the best way for Mattel to go. Generally speaking, I don't think we should give Matty the green light to slot in re-use parts for MOTU figures which had unique sculpt parts in the vintage line. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by Swanmarsh; January 2, 2010 at 05:17am.

I'd just claim in the bio that Blast-Attak gets used to blow up walls and barriers.
    I'm quite curious about what Mattel would do with his bio anyway. He was marketed as an Evil Warrior, but belonged to the Snake Men in the minicomic. I'd prefer if - as part of a pact during their Alliance - King Hiss got Blast Attak as a gift from Skeletor. I'd also hope that the bio would establish there to be numerous Blast Attaks. I always saw him as a potential army builder figure.

In the end, I really hope we're gonna see him in this line. Not this year (2010 should be Dragstor year ), but maybe in 2011. I too think that he should be done with a couple of recycled parts which were or can be used on other figures. I also wouldn't mind if his body wasn't able to separate anymore.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Reilly, I can't wait for Dragstor either!

If Blast Attack doesn't get his pull-apart halves, he should at least get a cool "explosion" effect that can nap onto his torso to simulate his action-feature of thedays of yore. I mentioned this in another thread also; the effect could be similiar to the Force-effects from the Star Wars line during AOTC and such.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

that would be some pretty clever part reuse. even without a cybernetic buck there could be clever reuse done with all the dif characters that had cybernetic parts.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I'm really looking forward to Blast-Attak!! I hope he's made in the next year or two, but preferably much sooner!!

I also hope he isn't affiliated with the Snakemen, as I like him as an Evil Warrior much more.

As far as the suicide bomber situation, I think changing the character to leave that out would be a horrible idea. That's changing our ways because of terrorists. With that ideology, you can chalk up one "win" for those pieces of crap. Blast-Attak is who he is, and shouldn't be altered. Especially for that ridiculous reason.

Heroic Warrior
    It's easy to see how an action figure who blows himself up to injure and destroy others would be unsuitable for today's children.
    And here we go with more politically correct nonsense and with the "terrorist" paranoïa ! Before 2001, that kind of consideration wouldn't have even come to mind.

Blast-Attak is who he is, and shouldn't be altered.
    My thoughts exactly !

Blast Attack is actually an exploding "bomber robot". Let's keep him this way !

If no action feature is included, then Mattel can AT LEAST allow him to split in 2 parts that can be re-attached...

P.S. : there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that Blast Attack should become a snakeman (he doesn't even have the faintest look of a snakeman) ! Back in the 1980's, he was officially on Skeletor's side with the evil warriors. Let's keep him this way !
    Last edited by Spectror; January 2, 2010 at 06:20pm.

He was portrayed as a tool of King Hiss in "Revenge of the Snake Men". I don't see how them owning a robot could do any harm.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    And here we go with more politically correct nonsense and with the "terrorist" paranoïa ! Before 2001, that kind of consideration wouldn't have even come to mind.
    I'm not sure that's true, to be honest. The figure was released in the 1980s, and I suspect that we wouldn't have seen a version like the original released again - even in the 1990s. Times change, and so do the toys. After all, MOTUC isn't exactly 80s MOTU. It's inspired by it, but not bound to it.

Blast-Attak was my favorite figure as a kid, but I rarely ever used his action feature. I actually hated it, because the more you used it, the looser the figure would become due to the springs inside.

BTW, as a retired military officer with 12 years in the service, it's safe to say that I do not suffer from terrorist paranoia. Trust me - omitting his original action feature from a new bio does not mean that the terrorists have won. I can understand why Mattel might change his bio to omit his original action feature. That doesn't make me politically correct; its just shows that I'm not slavishly bound to the past.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 3, 2010 at 03:41pm.

I think Blast Attack will be a Snakeman. If I remember correctly, one of the consequences in the 200x canon with Man-At-Arms becoming a Snakman was that it was planned that he would end up building Blast Attack for them. With as much as they've been adopting 200x continuity and unrealized plans for that continuity, I would not be surprised to see that incorporated into MOTUC.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Yes, that's true, but MOTU will most likely be sold in stores again someday, in some form, for kids. Best to make the changes now, in that regard.
    No offense but this is crap I grew up buying the original figures not to mention a bunch of other figures that were villains that blew up or shot things, and I never once felt the urge to have to go and blow myself up because of a figure I played with. Its this kind of mentality that is ruining allot of great things for allot of people. You can't keep blaming everyone else for what kids of today's society does based on something they might play with or watch on TV. In the long run its not only their decision and the parents decision on how they raise their kid and how that kid acts. Plus if you don't think a kid is mature enough to play with figures based on warriors don't by it for them. Again not trying to tick anyone off this is just how I feel.
    JD

Heroic Warrior
    It is quite funny how in our modern times blast-attaks purpose is questioned as "unfit" for a toyline, but then again, what "evil warrior", Horde or Snakemen occupation is "suitable" for children??

I am sure a "giant leech" that sucks blood from people, an Evil Sorcerer and Warlord, a Posisonous Snake and so on are very suitable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by baronindy View Post
    No offense but this is crap I grew up buying the original figures not to mention a bunch of other figures that were villains that blew up or shot things, and I never once felt the urge to have to go and blow myself up because of a figure I played with. Its this kind of mentality that is ruining allot of great things for allot of people. You can't keep blaming everyone else for what kids of today's society does based on something they might play with or watch on TV. In the long run its not only their decision and the parents decision on how they raise their kid and how that kid acts. Plus if you don't think a kid is mature enough to play with figures based on warriors don't by it for them. Again not trying to tick anyone off this is just how I feel.
    JD
    Who knows what they have planned for the character. All I'm saying is I'm willing to go in with an open mind if they change the character's bio/function. They may very well go with the original character's 1980s origin. I'm happy either way, so long as I get a new Blast-Attak. But for anyone hoping that the character will come with his action feature, Mattel has said that none of the figures will have action features, and I doubt we will see a Blast-Attak who can split in two for MOTUC.

As for what parts they might use, looking at this photo released of MOTUC Optikk, I think we are getting closer and closer to what a Blast-Atakk will end up looking like.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 11, 2010 at 11:05pm.