Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: I’m Ready For The “Classics Line” To Stick With The Classic Toy Line

  1. #1
    Established 1981 nutnog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    15,108

    • I’m Ready For The “Classics Line” To Stick With The Classic Toy Line •

    I’m just going to put this out here…everyone take a deep breath before you get your pitchforks...

    I know I might get roasted here but I have to say I am ready for some real classic figures again. You know the ones, kind of like the ones that were in the classic line from 81-87. I’m not talking about prototypes, MOTU myths, PoP, or NA figures. I want to see classic figures from the classic toy line, especially for those who have the year subscription.

    I think it is great that NA and She-Ra fans get to see their favorites finally made or updated but I wish they could be the bonus figures and not force everyone that signed up for the subscription to get figures that are not part of the classic MOTU toy line. The year long subscribers first were burned by double shipping fees if they wanted the bonus figure and now the classics figures really aren’t so classic anymore.

    Once again I’m happy for those who are getting their figures made but I am just feeling like the classics line isn’t sticking much to the main MOTU toy line that I knew and just wish that the NA, PoP, and prototypes were moved to be bonus figures.

    Anyone else feel this way and isn’t afraid of getting railed on by a bunch of Slushhead fanatics?

    I can't wait for the, "U HV to luv all MOTU not just the vintage lien or U Rnt a true fan," fodder to commence.
    Last edited by nutnog; January 8, 2010 at 11:12pm.

  2. #2
    Oracle of Fabulousity Kevenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    7,152
    The line was never marketed by Mattel as being vintage MOTU only. If that's what you thought it was, then you had your fingers in your ears and hands over your eyes. So far this year, vintage MOTU fans are getting BA He-Man, Battle-Cat, Moss Man, Trap-Jaw, Evil-Lyn, Orko. Out of 10 confirmed figures out of the year so far, that's 6 - over half.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

    "Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

    - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    I’m just going to put this out here…

    I know I might get roasted here but I have to say I am ready for some real classic figures again. You know the ones, kind of like the ones that were in the classic line from 81-87. I’m not talking about prototypes, MOTU myths, PoP, or NA figures. I want to see classic figures from the classic toy line, especially for those who have the year subscription.

    I think it is great that NA and She-Ra fans get to see their favorites finally made or updated but I wish they could be the bonus figures and not force everyone that signed up for the subscription to get figures that are not part of the classic MOTU toy line. The year long subscribers first were burned by double shipping fees if they wanted the bonus figure and now the classics figures really aren’t so classic anymore.

    Once again I’m happy for those who are getting their figures made but I am just feeling like the classics line isn’t sticking much to the main MOTU toy line that I knew.

    Anyone else feel this way and isn’t afraid of getting railed on by a bunch of Slushhead fanatics?
    Maybe you don't need a subscription.....na and she ra is bout 20 yrs old...ummm id call that classic

  4. #4
    Established 1981 nutnog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    15,108
    Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Maybe you don't need a subscription.....na and she ra is bout 20 yrs old...ummm id call that classic
    The Vanilla Ice sensation was about 20 years ago too. He must be pretty classic.
    Last edited by nutnog; January 8, 2010 at 11:13pm.

  5. #5
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,781
    The thing is, we haven't even gotten all that many POP and NA characters!

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior jzguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edison, NJ
    Posts
    418
    I personally never cared for Na or POP. But as a subscriber I knew that these would be included in the line so I can't really blame Mattel for putting them in the sub. I think Optik is cool enough. The whole point of the Classics line was to merge all the different MOTU lines and cannons into one ultimate MOTU universe. As long as the bio is consistent and explains a guy with a huge eyeball for a head I'm ok with it. POP on the other hand is going to be hard to swallow for me.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior bengali94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Maybe you don't need a subscription.....na and she ra is bout 20 yrs old...ummm id call that classic
    YEAH!!! And lets not forget King Greyskull hes totally a cla.. er.. wait...
    ****Bengali*****

    Now you have to ask yourself, was that civilized? No! In no way was that civilized. Fun, but in no way civilized.

    Roger that Milli Vanilli Chilli Willi!

  8. #8
    Eternian Sorcerer zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    11,946
    After May, there's still seven more months equaling at LEAST seven more figures. Chances are the likes of Roboto, Man-E-Faces, Stinkor, Ninjor, Jitsu, Fisto or Clamp Champ are going to be among the big guns to round out the rest of the year. You may dislike Optikk, but he is sporting all of Man-E's parts from the waist down, which- considering how they are running this line with reused parts figures coming down the pipe first- probably means Man-E will be coming soon. I kind of get it about wanting re-dos of the actual classic figures, but I doubt Mattel is going to fill the rest of 2010 with the likes of Staghorn, Perfuma, Eldor, Count Marzo, Carnivus, or the Star Sisters. Not that I wouldn't do backflips if that was the rest of the line-up... LOL... I'm all for all the eras coming out in this line... that's kind of the point of MOTUC. But for those who are only in this for the updates of the '80s MOTU toy line, I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff for you folks rounding out the rest of the year.

  9. #9
    Widget MastersFan81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    25
    From the get-go, Mattel made it very obvious that they would be including ALL aspects of MOTU mythology in this line, including NA and PoP figures. If you don't want them, don't get the subscription, and just order the figures you like as they become available. Simple solution.

  10. #10
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,865
    I'm glad there's diversity. There are plenty of rubbish characters in the original line as well, and I'd much rather have an Adora than, say, "Dragstor".
    Anyway, the classic line is about the classic style of the sculpt, and nothing more. There's plenty more NA, PoP, 200x, and new characters on the way, so get used to it.

  11. #11
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,010
    Hey Nutnog, I understand **some** of your frustration but yeah, they did say from the start that this line would encompass all.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

    http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Fugitoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    122
    I like your Vanilla Ice reference...

    I see "classics" as a line that brings together the whole MOTU/POP/NA universe in all styles and influences available to Mattel (be it mini comics, original figures, prototypes, obscure releases (Wun-dar) etc. The brilliant part is that for once, we have a consisently styled line, with all figures being able to be displayed together without looking like individual lines with varying scales.

    In this sense they have been highly successful. The sales will tell you that. Of course, all fans would tweak something here and there, but for the mass collector market, they have done well in my book. Take Wun-dar... not really a key charachter that you will miss (i.e. a He-Man repaint, but to make him available as a subscription figure is IMO a great way to handle this line).
    "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

  13. #13
    Established 1981 nutnog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    15,108
    Quote Originally Posted by MastersFan81 View Post
    If you don't want them, don't get the subscription, and just order the figures you like as they become available. Simple solution.
    Good plan sport but most people work on here and miss out on figures that go on sale at noon so that was to be solved by the subscription.

  14. #14
    No Rio? We Riot! TheFallen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitoid View Post

    I see "classics" as a line that brings together the whole MOTU/POP/NA universe in all styles and influences available to Mattel (be it mini comics, original figures, prototypes, obscure releases (Wun-dar) etc. The brilliant part is that for once, we have a consisently styled line, with all figures being able to be displayed together without looking like individual lines with varying scales.

    In this sense they have been highly successful. The sales will tell you that. Of course, all fans would tweak something here and there, but for the mass collector market, they have done well in my book. Take Wun-dar... not really a key charachter that you will miss (i.e. a He-Man repaint, but to make him available as a subscription figure is IMO a great way to handle this line).
    I wasn't going to post in this thread because it is not for me, but this ^

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    238
    Put me on the list nutnog...us fellow Washingtonians have to stick together. I would prefer it if NA and POP were released as bonus figures and the "classic" figures were redone as monthly subscription releases. I have a feeling you and me are going to be in the gallows pretty quick here....

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Inhibitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,706
    Nutnog, if I have to wait untill 2015 to get a Clawfull... let's just say I'll feel a little "burned".

    I can totally sympathize here. Think of it everybody, why do you think they have to space out all the original MOTUs out over such a long period?

    In order to maintain interest in the line.

    Original Classics = NA's, POP's, 200x's Daddy
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

  17. #17
    Established 1981 nutnog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    15,108

    Thank you for reading...now everyone else, breathe into your She-Ra lunch bag slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by rocky_raccoon View Post
    Put me on the list nutnog...us fellow Washingtonians have to stick together. I would prefer it if NA and POP were released as bonus figures and the "classic" figures were redone as monthly subscription releases. I have a feeling you and me are going to be in the gallows pretty quick here....

    Right I'm not saying don't make them, I'm saying just switch them over to bonus figures. Man this place continues to crack me up after over eight years of being here.

    Thank you Rocky for actually reading my post instead of getting your pitchfork out and a torch.

    It's ok people, take a breath, Butthead and Slushhead are great figures they rock...I'm just suggesting moving them to the land of bonus figures.

    Breathe....ok...breathe again....hold...and release...

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior bengali94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by MastersFan81 View Post
    From the get-go, Mattel made it very obvious that they would be including ALL aspects of MOTU mythology in this line, including NA and PoP figures. If you don't want them, don't get the subscription, and just order the figures you like as they become available. Simple solution.
    Good call on that one chief.

    Have you ever used Mattels Website when the figures become available? Oh wait you are like 99.9% of the people on this site that think Mattel can do no wrong. Sorry. Go about your business citizens....
    ****Bengali*****

    Now you have to ask yourself, was that civilized? No! In no way was that civilized. Fun, but in no way civilized.

    Roger that Milli Vanilli Chilli Willi!

  19. #19
    Reaper of Crom Riddle of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by jzguitars View Post
    I personally never cared for Na or POP. But as a subscriber I knew that these would be included in the line so I can't really blame Mattel for putting them in the sub. I think Optik is cool enough. The whole point of the Classics line was to merge all the different MOTU lines and cannons into one ultimate MOTU universe. As long as the bio is consistent and explains a guy with a huge eyeball for a head I'm ok with it. POP on the other hand is going to be hard to swallow for me.

    The problem is tho Mattel DOES have to be careful with how many of these "Non" MOTU Classic characters get integrated into the subscription lineup "IF" they have any interest *and I'm sure that they GREATLY do* in keeping people signed up for these subscriptions in the future.

    I think thats it's safe to say that the majority of the people that are in this are for the MOTU Classic aspect and if the subscriptions are littered with all sorts of other stuff people will drop like flies in the future.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Red Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    92
    I too wish that the NA figures would've been bonus figures only. However, you gotta hand it to Mattel for making them part of the subscription. It makes good business sense to do so... because Optikk would've been the first non-sellout if many of us weren't already forced to purchase him.

    NA is not MOTU. It's its own entity.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly!"

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    953
    I particularly love the irony of the title of this thread... As I'm looking at my shelves of figures from the 'Classics Line", only 2 (Zodak and Grayskull) are not characters included in or planned to be included in the original line. I think that means they're doing a d@mn good job of sticking to the classic toy line thus far. As previously pointed out/alluded to, POP is a natural extension of the original toy line, and of course we've received a ton of those characters to date. That leaves only NA as not part of the classic toy line... and we have been INUNDATED with these figures so far.

    I'm not usually one for sarcasm, but I find it necessary in this case.

  22. #22
    Angast's #1 fan Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    3,686
    Quote Originally Posted by MastersFan81 View Post
    From the get-go, Mattel made it very obvious that they would be including ALL aspects of MOTU mythology in this line, including NA and PoP figures. If you don't want them, don't get the subscription, and just order the figures you like as they become available. Simple solution.
    Well said.

    That pretty much sums up everything.



    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    There are plenty of rubbish characters in the original line as well, and I'd much rather have an Adora than, say, "Dragstor".


    Yeah. There are several figures from the original line that weren't "up to par."

  23. #23
    Established 1981 nutnog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    15,108
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post

    I'm not usually one for sarcasm, but I find it necessary in this case.
    Gold star effort friend-o Actually I think you have a point if you are saying that She-Ra is an "extension" and not a spin off. We could go over semantics of this but if you do come to view it as an "extension," than your points are valid.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior jzguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edison, NJ
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Sysiss View Post
    The problem is tho Mattel DOES have to be careful with how many of these "Non" MOTU Classic characters get integrated into the subscription lineup "IF" they have any interest *and I'm sure that they GREATLY do* in keeping people signed up for these subscriptions in the future.

    I think thats it's safe to say that the majority of the people that are in this are for the MOTU Classic aspect and if the subscriptions are littered with all sorts of other stuff people will drop like flies in the future.
    And anyone who chooses to drop the subs may do so, I want to drop the subs based on poor service and double shipping, all I'm saying is that it's no surprise that the sub includes POP and NA because TG told us it would from day one. I'm not sure I like it either but it certainly wasn't a surprise. And I'm sure Matty will include some "can't refuse" bonus to the future subs to limit the drop outs.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Slasher X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    177
    I see the 2010 sub as a litmus test.

    If enough people are angry about having to get POP and NA characters then in the summer when the 2011 subs go on sale and MAtty doesn't see the renewals and increased sales they will know. Additionally these figs will be for individual sale. If the sell outs don't happen within the first week, (as all have done after Skeletor) it may be an additional indicator to Matty.

    Things may change for 2011. You never know. The fan response for the NA and POP might be better than you all expect though.

    I am sure it is something that Matty is going to track.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •