Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Identifying Flaws

Question About Identifying Flaws

By now we pretty much know that if there is something wrong with a figure...

1) Mattel will sell it anyway
    2) We will buy it
    3) We will complain, but not drop the line
    4) Nobody notices the flaw until one person mentions it, thus "ruining" the figure for everyone

So my question is...what's the fascination with posting "XXXX has XXXX wrong with him!"?

Is it bragging rights for being the first to notice?

I'm not condoning the selling of defective merchandise...but sine we've established that no change is coming, why not just let your peers enjoy what they'e got?

Why not just keep a lid on it, and let everyone live in blissful ignorance?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    When I do it (like the error I found in Catra's bio), I post it so it can be fixed...or if it's too late to be fixed, Mattel can find out what went wrong and change the process so this doesn't happen again.

I thought that's what happened after Roboto's shoulders...but I guess not.

One weird thing though, is since Hssss's shoulders are different internally, it does appear that was a change since the Roboto error (big = left, small = right) or whatever...but the problem still occurred. *shrugs*

The feedback really does help Mattel make better figures for us though! Like, He-Man, Beastman and Skeletor. When the first people got King Grayskull from SDCC, they posted about how his cape couldn't come off and we noticed the next 3 figures looked like their armour couldn't come off either. Mattel asked fans and decided to postpone the line so they could fix this so all armour would be removeable (like advertised). That's why the figures kind of have that strange "T" shape outlined in the middle of their backs.

They also fixed loose ankles for some figures. So...it's a process, but I really do believe it helps absolutely!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Moss man for me was a biggie, flocked ears was noticed, the run was able to be altered so fans got the unflocked ears version, i guess if everyone sat on their hands then moss man would have no ears. No thanks.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

I think it's important that Mattel sees the problem and that there is a huge vocal reponse to it. I'd probably enjoy some figures more if flaws weren't pointed out(thank you Eamon, I find myseld staring at He-Man's eyebrows now!), but there has to be a large response in order for issues to be corrected. Not that the Roboto reaction helped out Hsss, but you get the idea. The shoulders aren't the biggest issue, but I'd like Matty's eye on the ball to make sure bigger issues don't come up. MOTUC isn't a huge line that can do recalls, so we shouldn't be a what they've referred to as a "vocal minority" in some situations that can be easily dismissed. We don't want to stop buying or harm the line, but we can voice some displeasure and hope that helps avoid a significant error that we'll have to accept.

Reversed shoulders on something like Battle Cat is a very similar, innocent mistake, but in that case you've got a pretty jacked up toy.

And although this isn't the same thing, I thought the reaction to Faceless One a Toy Fair was a bit extreme. Fans were loud and I'll gladly eat dirt since he looks much better now. We're on our way to the end of loose ankles. The shapes of the interior of Hssss's shoulders suggest to me that there was an attempt to end the occasional mismatched shoulders.

I know it complaining can paint all the fans as whiny and unappreciative of the quality we do see and it doesn't seem to make sense to ruin a figure in the eyes of a bunch of collectors who already have theirs purchased. That part stinks, but Mattel's got to know about mistakes in order to learn from them.

The first person to post the fault isn't going to be the only one to find it. Here, in Australia, we get our figures much later than pretty much everyone else. I can guarantee you that I would find these faults when my figures arrive. It just happens that I read about it on the .org before they arrive.

I do think there is bragging with regard to certain things, and possibly for this as well, but I think that these issues are important enough that I'm happy to let the baby have it's bottle. The funny thing, no-one remembers who found the fault anyway.

The idea is that raising issues will help correct the issue for other figures, or for re-relases. And we have seen examples of that. I think Hsss has been so big because it is an issue that not only happened recently (with Roboto) but we were told that extra attention woudl be made to ensure it wouldn't happen again.

I suggest that if people want to enjoy their faulty figures, ignorantly, don't visit the .org. Or the internet.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Because we are paying a lot of money for these figures, and if the switched shoulders can get by everyone being paid to notice those things at Mattel THREE times, one has to wonder how much Mattel is paying attention. For me, it's not so much that the shoulders are such a big problem; it's the fact that Mattel is getting famous for it's lack of quality control, and I don't want it getting even worse.

If you catch them and jack them up on the smaller things like the shoulders, there's at least a chance they might pay attention to what they are doing and you might not see some of the bigger ones. Or would you rather we wait until an entire run of a figure has two left legs to voice our discontent?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

By now we pretty much know that if there is something wrong with a figure...

1) Mattel will sell it anyway
    2) We will buy it
    3) We will complain, but not drop the line
    4) Nobody notices the flaw until one person mentions it, thus "ruining" the figure for everyone

Maybe you'd buy, but figures cost too much here for me to accept a flaw like reversed shoulders.

Also, I would notice, and there is a BIG difference between buying when you know there is a flaw and realizing there is a flaw after you already paid for it.

I don't understand why if topics about complains bother some people so much, they still read them, why not ignore text instead of asking us to ignore genuine defects in tangible items made for adult collectors we pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Romer View Post
    Maybe you'd buy, but figures cost too much here for me to accept a flaw like reversed shoulders.

Also, I would notice, and there is a BIG difference between buying when you know there is a flaw and realizing there is a flaw after you already paid for it.

I don't understand why if topics about complains bother some people so much, they still read them, why not ignore text instead of asking us to ignore genuine defects in tangible items made for adult collectors we pay for.
    Simmer down, tiger. Not once did i say the complaint threads bothered me. I merely inquired as to the psychology behind them.

Though, since we're being cranky, how about we make like Missy Elliot and put this thing down, flip it, and reverse it?

If certain threads bother YOU, why don't you just ignore them?

The nature of internet forums like this is to discuss things we like and dislike.
    Pointing out errors or mistakes is just a natural part of that.

Also, let's not take this thread in a combative direction, fellas.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Personally, I'm very glad these things get pointed out. If I'm buying figures that are made improperly I want to know. I'm not pleased about it, but also not ready to set Matty on fire.

Next year, I doubt I'll get another sub if this problem doesn't take a turn for the better. I may not wish to find out that something is not made properly until after I've commited to purchasing it.

As far as not noticing King Hssss's shoulders, I didn't think I would. However, upon getting him today it was so obvious (to me) that something was off even on card. I most certainly would have noticed and sent the figure back... That would have resulted in great frustration as no other figures were made correctly. Sallah saved me from a lot of hassle by pointing this out!

So there is my reasoning. I hope that offers you some insight into how some of us may feel.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

I came here to answer the questions in your first post, to give my point of view.

This thread doesn't bother me, but it opposes my opinion, at least what the first post implies. You're not first one who has told us to stop making posts and threads about issues with figures, so that's why I said if you don't like, don't read it.

If a topic bothers me, I don't visit it, plain and simple. You don't see me in the "mattel/tg appreciation threads", I don't even open those.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    The nature of internet forums like this is to discuss things we like and dislike.
    Pointing out errors or mistakes is just a natural part of that.

I'm not taking a combative direction, I'm not insulting anybody, and I wasn't going to.
    Last edited by Romer; March 21, 2011 at 06:23pm.

This thread doesn't bother me, but it opposes my opinion, at least the first post. You're not first one who has told us to stop making posts and threads about issues with figures, so that's why I said if you don't like, don't read it.
    Can you please copy the quote where I said "Don't make posts and threads about issues with figues? "

Because I don't think I did.

There, it's what you seem to be implying.

There, it's what you seem to be implying.
    Is my not telling you that that was NOT my intent sufficient?

If that WAS my intent, I would certainly have said "I think you should..." instead of "why not just...."

or instead make a thread to talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    even if done politely this threads point imo is to rabble rouse.

threads pointing out mistakes like hssss's shoulders are a good thing and imo was handled with matureness.
    MANGLORD'S most wanted MOTUC, GWILDOR and the rest of the 87ers.
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...oppers01-1.jpg

Someone pointing out flaws before I notice them is fine - especially when others jump in with fixes for them.

Kudos to the sharp-eyed & quick-witted.

Eternal flames for Mattel QC.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

If that WAS my intent, I would certainly have said "I think you should..." instead of "why not just...."
    You see, it's also the context, it seems to me that you don't like the constant of complains, you even listed 4 reasons as to why it shouldn't be done, it's also why I said you implied, as in, indirectly.

Anyway, I'm done with semantics, but not necessarily with this thread.

Actually, Romer is correct. If I said to someone, "Why don't you be quiet?". That is the same as saying "You should be quiet.". You said it and were called on it.

I also agree that threads pointing out errors or issues is the only way to get things fixed. This is also how recalls occur for big companies like Ford and such. Funny that Mattel doesn't take the hit when they mess up.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

You see, it's also the context, it seems to me that you don't like the constant of complains, you even listed 4 reasons as to why it shouldn't be done, it's also why I said you implied, as in, indirectly.

Anyway, I'm done with semantics, but not necessarily with this thread.
    But, see, to tell people not to complain would be hypocritical, as I have done my fair share of it in the past.

At this point in the game, though, there is practically something wrong with every figure, and it is kind of a race to see who can find the flaws first.

Surely nobody expects an entire run to be withheld once a flaw is found (though it should be...that's another topic), so do we do it just to complain, or to be able to say "Ha! It sucks, but I found it first!" Simple question. Don't read too much into it, or my motives behind asking it.

TOYNERD FIGHT!
    ***Please read and follow forum rules about YouTube links. Thank you! ***

And Bamf...I think the answer to your orginal question is.........yes.
    Last edited by Vonhahn; March 21, 2011 at 07:05pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Assuming people will buy it or not drop the line because of it is an ignorant statement to make. I would not have bought the figure had I known it was defective. I know several people who have already dropped the line due to previous issues.

When errors make it all the way to production, and then sold, they deserve to be brought up. Thinking all fans should just live in a 'ignorance is bliss' mindset is just silly.

I can answer this. It's to prevent the same problem in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    Assuming people will buy it or not drop the line because of it is an ignorant statement to make. I would not have bought the figure had I known it was defective. I know several people who have already dropped the line due to previous issues.

When errors make it all the way to production, and then sold, they deserve to be brought up. Thinking all fans should just live in a 'ignorance is bliss' mindset is just silly.
    Perfectly put. Well said!

Sallah

Lycan
    I think those of us who look closely at our toys would notice it and be bothered by it eventually if not immediately
    I'd heard about Hiss's shoulders, but I would definately have noticed it for myself and wondered what the devil was going on there?

I don't think anyone's bragging about discovering this stuff.. just having a rant about something that's a disapointment
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

As with everything in my life, I would rather be unhappy with the truth rather than happy with a lie. I don't want to live in blissfull ignorance. I appriciate people exposing any legitimate serious problems with the figures. A figure being assembled wrong is a major flaw. I still don't have a King Hiss yet but had I noticed it and no one had mentioned it I would have told people.

Also, if no one mentioned mistakes that are made then their is less chance of those problems being corrected in future.