Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra Rooted Head for Female Figures/Women Keep Losing Out in MOTUC

I'm sorry, but I have no interest in rooted hair. I would rather they spend those dollars on accessories/details and distinct heads (i.e. Evil-Lyn without a helmet) than on the same head with real hair. All the major figure lines (including collector lines like stuff put out by McFarlane, Marvel legends and the DCUC line) all use sculpted hair for females. This should be no different. I realize the original POP line had that feature, but the MOTUC is not an extension of that line (just as we won't be getting 200X stylized bodies in this line either).

While I don't need a comb for the toy and I really doubt Mattel would ever do this in the first place, I'd love for the POP toys to come with extra heads full of rooted hair. If that makes me less of a man, so be it. I somehow doubt that I would get a toy with rooted hair and wake up the next morning a eunuch.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Angel-T made a custom MOTUC She-Ra from Teela and used real hair and I think it looks quite good:
    That is great looking!
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

No thanks--this line couldn't be better.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Yeah…I'm gonna say I'm siding on the "I'm glad they have sculpted hair" camp.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

A second rooted head would in no way effect getting the sculpted head as well, so I'm sort of scratching my head here.

As for accessories, technically we should be getting an update of all the original stuff anyway. So again, a rooted head shouldn't effect that either.

Quote Originally Posted by phnx75 View Post
    I realize the original POP line had that feature, but the MOTUC is not an extension of that line (just as we won't be getting 200X stylized bodies in this line either).
    It should be no problem given that Mattel can and does deviate from the classic MOTU line with such things as Scareglow's reliquary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    A second rooted head would in no way effect getting the sculpted head as well, so I'm sort of scratching my head here.

As for accessories, technically we should be getting an update of all the original stuff anyway. So again, a rooted head shouldn't effect that either.

It should be no problem given that Mattel can and does deviate from the classic MOTU line with such things as Scareglow's reliquary.
    I think ultimately, cost plays the ultimate factor, as they'd already said that it would cost much more than it'd be worth to make, to create something that the majority of fans wouldn't want. The Reliquary probably cost them no more than it would have probably cost to make a sword or some other accessory, perhaps less.

Having rooted hair would only drive costs up, and these figs are already quite expensive as it is.

I think if they were gonna include an extra rooted head, I would much rather they include something of interest, like more weapons or something.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; January 13, 2010 at 01:41pm. Reason: Added More Info.

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pH6 View Post
    Although I do think that Entrapta simply can't be done justice with a rubber hair.
    I was thinking the same thing, how on Etheria are they going to pull off Entrapta if they have to use plastic/rubber hair? They'd almost have to have her "float" and use her split ends to help her stand.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, how on Etheria are they going to pull off Entrapta if they have to use plastic/rubber hair? They'd almost have to have her "float" and use her split ends to help her stand.
    That's true, but then, IF they decided to do rooted hair with her, she would be the one figure that it would actually make sense to do it with. Not the case with every other fig.

For the record though, Bow was a major part of POP, and he didn't have rooted hair.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; January 13, 2010 at 01:47pm. Reason: Edited For Clarity.

Im not interested at all in rooted hair figures. I really could not care less if Adora cant look up because of her plastic hair.

I have no interest in getting these, but if people want them, then release them
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I'm going to just paste what I wrote in the other thread...which I think plays a bigger part in the decision than we think...

Sadly I dont think it will happen. Sometimes it seems they are more concerned with not upsetting the POP haters than making those of us who love the original POP figures happy. I mean, we will love the figures regardless but the inclusion of a head with rooted hair would boil the blood of some of the really intense she-ra haters so much that its probably best if they dont go there. Sad, but true.

At the end of the day, its not really a big deal. I'll probably prefer the plastic hair to rooted hair but it wouldve been a nice touch...especially since so many figures come with additional heads and that was a large part of the original toyline.

Anyone who would be really ticked off probably wont buy the figures rooted hair or not but they'd be pretty vocal about it, I'd imagine.

Heroic Warrior

But how about...

... Caracters like catra or castaspella who have their hair in ponytail buns??? I mean, i cant imagine how 4hm are going to sculpt their hairdos ... If they would sculpt them in ponytail buns could easily be breakable and fragile .. I know they did a good job on 200x teela. She had her hair in ponytail too, but her hair hadn't got the detail like catra and casta would have: longer hair in a ponytail! And yes, in very curious how entrapta Will turn out!
    Wants: ALOT! I need: all US MOC's from the entire MOTU (classic line). 6 or 12 backs and I prefer the "NEW" -version MOC's, at least C9 or better!
    Can I dream? I sure CAN!

Okay here's how I see it.
    Technically we are finished with MOTU females as there were really only 2 in the original line and we got them(not all in hand yet) Teela and Evil-Lyn. As shown then and even now female figures are a hard sell in certain toylines. After Evil-lyn, all that is left is POP figures to fill in the rest of the female cast.(Please note I am not including Q. Marlena until we get confirmation) As much disdain shown around these threads for POP being included in this line, rooted hair is nothing but fuel for their fire, literally. They're complaining about with sculpted hair saying they are figures for girls, imagine if they did rooted hair. I think it sounds pretty cool, but all in all, figures with rooted hair the hair comes out of package warped in strange way and I really don't have the time or patientence to groom an action figures head and look for split ends.

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Okay here's how I see it.
    Technically we are finished with MOTU females as there were really only 2 in the original line and we got them(not all in hand yet) Teela and Evil-Lyn.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not for or against rooted hair. But I have to point this out. One of the arguments for rooted hair is that it will allow the characters to look up. The argument is that if Adora had rooted hair, she would be able to look up at her sword to turn in to She-Ra.

The hair is irrelevant. Can your Teela look up? Mine can't. In fact, she's always looking down slightly. From the pictures I've seen of Adora and Evil-Lyn, it looks the same. If they're going to go to the trouble of releasing heads with rooted hair, they're going to have to fix the ball joint on the heads to allow the females to look up.
    Last edited by Ntumbuluku; January 13, 2010 at 03:15pm. Reason: typo

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    4) If despite my previous point, Mattel did decide to include an extra, vinyl head with rooted hair, as a hommage to the original POP figures, there would be another problem: the neck peg. Vinyl heads (like Barbie heads) need a different kind of peg to keep them moving and tight. (Usually with an 'arrow' shaped peg that's very difficult to remove, once inserted). So it would be very difficult if not impossible to swap a hard plastic head for a vinyl head without having to redesign a different neck.

For all these reasons, I'm glad we are not getting rooted heads. There are enough issues with the female body to keep Mattel busy for a while...
    Mattel wouldn't have to change the neck peg. 60's Barbie head until early 90's Barbies have, basically, the same neck ball as MOTUC. Mid-90's they've changed it to the "t", triangle, arrow monstrosity so people cannot remove the heads. It takes a lot of work to get one off without breaking the neck. It's literally like a surgery.

About figures with rooted hair and all plastic accessories, I think they look fine. I have Cosmic Angella, the Ultra Angella with hair, Battle Blade Skeletor, April O'Neil and many, many others with real hair and they all still look perfect and haven't really had a problem sticking in joints, with the exception being the Cosmic Angella figure. I think it's because of all the pointy things coming off her.

Also, refreshes might come with cloth capes.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    I agree totally. Honestly, I can't believe that in 2010, anyone wants rooted hair. Rooted hair is the fine line between playing with action figures, and playing with a DOLL, especially for a female figure. Not that I actually play with my figures, mind you.
    In all honesty, you are playing with dolls. The term action figure was invented for the 12 inch G.I. Joe, which was a doll but they were afraid of the "everything associated with girls has cooties" syndrome, so they came up with a word that means the same thing. Boys accepted it and the term has stuck. That's the history of the term action figure. A word created meaning the same thing, but won't freak out insecure boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I for one have no interest in owning an action figure that has hair I can comb!

*Looks between legs...yup still there.
    See my answer above...and I agree, Grizzlor is the same thing. I have had to bathe AND comb my Grizzlor as he's the biggest mess I've ever had. Some people say rooted hair = crazy tangled mess over time. HA! Grizzlor far tops any of that. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vearn View Post
    Besides that, rooted hair is the reason for that PoP Barbie toyline. So just get them when they are released and everybody will be happy

PS: And no, I don't want them as extra heads, because that would mean less accesories or whatever.
    There was no Barbie PoP line and has been no news of one. As for limiting extra accessories, look at Trap-Jaw. He has a belt, shoulder piece, 3 arm attachments, an extra arm AND an extra head. We only want 1 extra head.
    Quote Originally Posted by phnx75 View Post
    (including collector lines like stuff put out by McFarlane, Marvel legends and the DCUC line) all use sculpted hair for females. This should be no different..
    Just off the top of my head, here are figures made by McFarlane that have rooted hair:

-Cosmic Angella
    -Untra Angella
    -Tiffany
    -Blood Queen
    -The woman with spikes out her back and a skeletor demon. She looks a little like Darkness from the movie Legend.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    I think ultimately, cost plays the ultimate factor, as they'd already said that it would cost much more than it'd be worth to make, to create something that the majority of fans wouldn't want.
    I don't fully believe the "cost" answer as all their toys are made in China and they could make ONLY the rooted heads at their Barbie factory. As most the "majority" of fans...it was basically 50/50 without taking in account those who probably voted out of spite and will not be buying PoP no matter how it looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeTeela View Post
    I'm going to just paste what I wrote in the other thread...which I think plays a bigger part in the decision than we think...
    That's why they should do a rooted head boxset or just ship them in plastic baggies or something (like Gleek/Happy Meal toys). It doesn't matter how they're packaged as long as they make them.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 13, 2010 at 03:34pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Ok, first of all, I'm only for rooted hair heads if it is a secondary head... My daughter had a large number of My Little Pony toys a couple years ago, and rooted hair just doesn't stay "in place"... I'm not going to comb She-Ra's hair once a week to keep her from looking "unkempt"... I also don't want it to take away from the other accessories we could see with figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Um, how does the reliquary deviate from the style of the Classics line, which is what the point really is over the difference between the look of rooted hair versus the look of sculpted hair? A lot of figures have been released with accessories that deviate from what the original line had... but this MOTUC line is designed to have a uniform look and feel across the board, not necessarily only to the original MOTU line, but to itself as well. It is all about the original MOTU line updated, with the POP and NA figures thrown in to make one unified line. Dramatically altering the build of figures (including producing rooted hair primarily) to deviate from the feel of this line in order to preserve the original POP or NA feel goes against the intent of this line. Including an extra item like 200x sword, Teela's sword, or Scaregolw's reliquary doesn't go against the intent of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    I'm not for or against rooted hair. But I have to point this out. One of the arguments for rooted hair is that it will allow the characters to look up. The argument is that if Adora had rooted hair, she would be able to look up at her sword to turn in to She-Ra.

The hair is irrelevant. Can your Teela look up? Mine can't. In fact, she's always looking down slightly. From the pictures I've seen of Adora and Evil-Lyn, it looks the same. If they're going to go to the trouble of releasing heads with rooted hair, they're going to have to fix the ball joint on the heads to allow the females to look up.

Not to mention that she and her brother won't be able to strike their iconic pose until they get a hand that allows them to do so.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    As most the "majority" of fans...it was basically 50/50 without taking in account those who probably voted out of spite and will not be buying PoP no matter how it looks.
    It was a vote of just over 100 fans, when there are probably 10,000+ fans out there buying these... Is 1% really an accurate sampling of this population?

As long as a sculpted-hair head is included and number of accessories isn't impacted (and combs don't count!), I'm ok with the old-school rooted-hair head folks getting their due.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Ok, first of all, I'm only for rooted hair heads if it is a secondary head...
    Nobody wants to make a rooted head the main head. It would ONLY be a secondary head and ToyGuru confirmed ALL MOTUC figures will have sculpted hair.

This is the reason I pointed that out so clearly and put all those quotes. I think some people just read the rooted head part and then comment without reading the context. This is an EXTRA like mustached Man-At-Arms, Goddess Teela head, Cardback Mer-Man, Gentle MossMan, Kronis, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    It was a vote of just over 100 fans, when there are probably 10,000+ fans out there buying these... Is 1% really an accurate sampling of this population?
    My poll was up for almost 2 years and I really advertised it in other threads. That's the most people I got to vote.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

I prefer sculped hair over rooted hair.
    If they would ever release a head set when there are like 5 POP figures released I would be fine with that.
    I don't think that would make profit though. That would only sell to the rooted hair lovers.
    I wouldn't like a second rooted hair with the figure itself. I would rather have extra other stuff.

Besides POP, have there been action figures with rooted hair?

Also, I don't understand the comment in the title "Women Keep Losing Out in MOTUC".
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; January 13, 2010 at 03:43pm.

As a kid I always wanted to see She-ra and others made in a style that fit more closely with my MOTU figures, so I'm happy to see that they share Teela's body and I'm very happy with the sculpted hair.

My idea of the perfect She-ra would be inspired by the original toy's costume, but with sculpted hair, as opposed to the cartoon version, which I understand is very well-known, but doesn't have enough detail for me.

I would also rather see the cost spent on extra rooted heads to be spent on other add-ins or accessories. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    http://www.redshirt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/keldor14.jpg
    Oops, lol I don't know how I forgot her.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_E View Post
    I prefer sculped hair over rooted hair.
    Besides POP, have there been action figures with rooted hair?

Also, I don't understand the comment in the title "Women Keep Losing Out in MOTUC".
    Yes. Other toylines that have had figures with rooted hair (off the top of my head):

- Filmation Ghostbusters: all women
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: at least 1 April
    - Spawn: at least 4 women
    - Wetworks: Blood Queen
    - Masters of the Universe: Tytus and Megator
    - New Adventures of He-Man: Battle Blade Skeletor
    - Princess of Power: everyone but Bow, Loo-Kee and Kowl (flocked)
    - Mego superheroes: everyone except short-haired figures

Women losing out:

- no ab-crunch
    - first two can't waist turn
    - not as good hip sculpting/ability to hide joints when they wear SHORTER outfits then the men, so they have to make the outfits longer to hide it
    - no removeable armour or two piece clothing...only a one piece outfit
    - no rooted throw-back extra head but we get extra cardback/new character/mustached heads, flocked figures, possibly furry and cloth caped figures and scented figures

Heroic Warrior
    Gentle MossMan
    Gentle? Hmm... I suppose he does look a bit gentle.

My poll was up for almost 2 years and I really advertised it in other threads. That's the most people I got to vote.
    Isn't it great that so many fans never take a proactive interest in the line? So many people step up when things don't go their way, but so few step up to say "I want it that way" in advance. People are great!