Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Extra Rooted Head for Female Figures/Women Keep Losing Out in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by CicconeSC View Post
    Hmmm, looks like there is far more POP fans then some assumed. Adora sold out in 27 mins!!!!! Awesome job POP fans and other fans who bought her.
    So who said POP fans are the "minority"?
    Speaking of assumption, you seem to be assuming that only POP
    fans bought Adora, or atleast that is what you seem to be implying.
    You should be commending the MOTU fanbase for Adora's sellout, not
    just POP fans.

Making statements like the one you made, is the exact same thought process people have about all kinds of issues, and usually it comes down to money and what others consider special rights. Also, people who did the things I mentioned in the past, felt that the "majority" didn't want those things and that it would be unfair to allow certain people rights due to the fact that the "majority" felt they didn't deserve them.
    Its not about who's more deserving, its about what best serves the
    line, what has a broader appeal to the overall fanbase, not just a
    select few. A statement like yours has no place in this discussion.

If you can't see the similarities between the thought process yourself and others in the past who thought the same way on various issues, that is not my problem.
    There's similarities in your thought process as well, those that think they're entitled to preferential treatment.
    Yet no matter how much you want to misconstrue my words, it doesn't negate the fact that I knew the meaning behind the
    usage of my words, so I don't have a problem.

Mattel including a rooted head with POP figures, would not be an increased cost...as most of those figures will have very little accessories, unless Mattel makes accessories that really don't need to be with a POP figure.
    You don't know this for an absolute certainty.

I don't really care if there is a rooted head or not...I am fine with the plastic hair.
    I highly doubt that otherwise you wouldn't have went on a tangent
    about phobia's, oppression etc.

However I don't think other fans (who in their opinion feel that POP supporters are far and few between), should tell POP fans what they can and can't have. POP fans do not tell MOTU fans what they think is unnecessary for the MOTU figures.
    And nobody did. People gave their opinions, some even elaborated
    on their opinions. And POP fans can be and in this case are just as
    vocal and just as opinionated as MOTU fans.

I don't see hardly any POP fans taking the same stance about MOTU characters or accessories.
    That's understandable considering that MOTU is the predecessor of POP
    and NA. Many collectors love for POP and NA started with MOTU the
    grandaddy of them all. And even though I wasn't a fan of neither POP
    or NA growing up, I can accept and respect their places within the
    overall mythos and I anticipate more characters from each line. By no
    means am I an elitist or partial when it comes to this line.

Since it is the 25th anniversary of POP, I think it is only fair to share some of the monthly slots with POP figures or special accessories (like the rooted hair) to acknowledge the support POP fans have given this line and previous lines.
    And I completely agree with you. I hope that POP does play a huge
    role in fleshing out this line. While I don't particularly think that a
    headset is a good idea, nor appeal to a broader spectrum of the fanbase,
    I'm not oppose to POP getting its just due.

I want this line to continue for years to come, but certain MOTU fans don't feel the same way if POP or NA are involved.
    Which is unfortunate, but its also their prerogative. Uniting them
    under one banner was a great idea on Mattel's part. Some fans are
    set in their mindsets, others are opened to the potential the other
    lines may have.

This line will be a huge success for years or even a decade, if all the fans of all the different eras and stories of MOTUC unite and support the line.
    True, but how can fans mend the rifts when people draw constantly wedges
    between various eras. You yourself only commended POP fans for
    Adora's sellout, Adora is a win, win for MOTUC in general so
    commendation should go to all fans that supported her, especially
    ones that were won over.
    Last edited by Azrael; January 15, 2010 at 06:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    All of the 200X figures only had side-to-side head movement. None head up and down mobility. Since She-Ra is made from a kit-bash Teela, they wouldn't spend more money to make one figure with the capability.
    Understood. So then, what would have been my point about the head mobility being increased due to the rooted hair is now moot. Or is it? I can't remember now.

Webstor's pulling rope. You have to pull it yourself, but it could have just been a sculpted cord...or not even come with the grapple. Man-E-Faces was confirmed to be coming with his spinning head feature. Extending pieces for Mek-A-Neck and Extendar are mimicing action features...so...gray area.
    Yeah, these are gray areas. But just to clarify, did the original Webstor have a pulley of some sort for the grapple and rope? I don't really know, cuz I never had him.

Otherwise, in my mind's eye, this is just another accessory, like a gun or sword. Not much different from TrapJaw's armaments.

All for me. And, are you saying if they DO make rooted head boxsets, you will stop buying PoP figures? Even though they would not even be packaged with them?
    Far from it. I'd still buy the fig, even if they did include an *extra* rooted head. But as long as it's not the only head, and as long as this doesn't effect the cost of the figs overall.

To be honest, it could be a vast opportunity to get more collectors into the line. For example, doing the rooted head boxset means not only will PoP fans get it as well as MOTU completists, but they can market towards the insanely large doll collecting fan base.

If this gets them on board with the ladies, they will obviously at least by the villains for PoP and He-Man (She-Ra's brother). It could get additional people to start collecting the entire line. A lot of the women who collected PoP as girls are Barbie Collectors today with no idea it's back and may ONLY be interested in rooted hair. I can't speak for them, but I know there are a lot of people from other sites solely interested in PoP.

Taking this risk could proove to be immensely profitible.
    Point. However, so long as it's presents as something purely extracurricular, I'm good with it.

I don't know what else I can tell you besides that the bonus figures, MOTUC stands, flying stands and artbook didn't increase costs...and Mattel is making more MOTUC figures each month (which is SUPPOSED to decrease the cost...). So I'll just give the answer: only Mattel could say for sure, but the cost of the non-subscription item. should take care of all costs.
    As you started off saying, ultimately it's Mattel's call.

Me too. Loved the toon. Devestated it's over.
    Same here.

Think like...a thin cardboard box (like MOTU vehicles come in) with a clear window screen. Image on the background with their heads attached to the one piece (like how they tie down figures). The window screen would have a pattern that looks like this: # to separate the heads visually.
    That's what I thought you were hoping for.

*tallies up cost on calculator*

I think TG said it was a special thing they wanted to do for the fans. 1000 books isn't a big advertisement. Minus all the hype surrounding it, I mean. lol
    I kinda disagree with this. Wasn't the book advertised and sold at a Con? If so, that's HUGE marketing, since that's basically a collector's haven.

8 heads for 1st boxset. 1000 boxsets (8000 heads total)
    9 heads for 2nd boxset. 1000 boxsets (9000 heads total)
    = 17000 heads total.

If you're looking at it, that's correct. I thought you meant 17000 boxsets each.
    Yeah, that's what I thought you were saying. That's an awful lot of extra heads, that if they don't sell, then they are basically stuck with them. It's not like they can use the heads for other toy lines (i.e. Barbie). And it's not like a gun or sword, where people will always want those for this line.

I absolutely would buy a MOTU head pack, which there are a bunch of people wanting too. Blonde Teela, Alcala Skeletor Head, Helmetless Zodak, etc.

I would DEFINITELY buy it. Releasing a single head by itself would be a terrible move and extremely unfeasible financially.
    Yeah, that's not cost effective for me as a consumer. Why spend an extra $20 bucks for a box of heads, when they can save that cost, and include it in the box with the figures, as they are already doing?

Besides, the clean shaven MAA head works for potential army builders. I can't wait to see what they do with generic Snake Men from 200x. (digression)

Toy companies don't do that (for the most part). Hasbro sure doesn't. My Invisible Woman had 2 left feet and they could not send me a foot (same with NECA and my SDCC He-Man). They both sent me replacement figures though.
    Yeah, they don't take into consideration that people might wish to doctor up their figs. But seeing as now you sound like a customizer, I'm sure you took great advantage of the new fig.

I highly doubt there's a rule for that. There are plenty of accessory packs/weapon packs for figures...and using Barbie as an example again (because Mattel makes it), they make wigs which they sell separately and then those make-up/hair styling whatever they're called (head, neck, shoulders and are life-sized).
    The reason I think there might be some sort of rule against it, is because clearly it's never been done. Mattel has never sold just a pack of Barbie heads for retail. You said yourself, you couldn't even get a right foot for one of your figs.

I don't know if there is some sort of legality, or just some unspoken policy about it, but it seems pretty taboo.

I hate it when people quote the bejezuz out of each other.

Didn't we see a prototype of 200x She-Ra with sculpted hair? & then when the figure arrived she had rooted hair & it didn't look as good as the proto.

But, if (sometime after She-Ra's inital release) they decide to re-visit the character & use rooted hair for her second release...I'd be stoked.

It would atleast be cool to see how they handle it. I would expect good rooted hair in MOTUC....no patchy bald spots if you re-position her hair & crap like that.

Movie mayhem!
    so sell something like this at the con. make it an exclusive like faker.

And yea a rooted hair rerelease would be fine with me

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Understood. So then, what would have been my point about the head mobility being increased due to the rooted hair is now moot. Or is it? I can't remember now.
    In MOTUC a rooted head would have more mobility (ball joint neck). 200X rooted, sculpted = no difference in mobility

Yeah, these are gray areas. But just to clarify, did the original Webstor have a pulley of some sort for the grapple and rope? I don't really know, cuz I never had him.
    Yes. The gear gizmo inside would wind it up after you pulled it. They kept it the same as the 80's minus the gear

I kinda disagree with this. Wasn't the book advertised and sold at a Con? If so, that's HUGE marketing, since that's basically a collector's haven.
    They advertised it on Matty and Facebook and told fans if it didn't sell out at the con, left-overs would make it to Matty. No left-overs.

Yeah, that's what I thought you were saying. That's an awful lot of extra heads, that if they don't sell, then they are basically stuck with them. It's not like they can use the heads for other toy lines (i.e. Barbie). And it's not like a gun or sword, where people will always want those for this line.
    Well, yes they could re-use them if sales on this tanked. They have a sub-line called Mini Princesses or My Kingdom (name escapes me) but they are Marvel Legend-MOTUC height. The heads wouldn't would work on those bodies, but they could make a new Barbie buck and slap the heads on. Voila, a new Princess.

Yeah, that's not cost effective for me as a consumer. Why spend an extra $20 bucks for a box of heads, when they can save that cost, and include it in the box with the figures, as they are already doing?
    I, and everyone else, would have MUCH preferred this, but Mattel dropped the ball. They chose a vendor that doesn't have the capability of doing rooted heads. Then the switched vendors and that vendor doesn't have the capability of doing rooted heads. TG explained having, say a Barbie Factor make the heads, ship them to the MOTUC factory to put in the package would be too costly and time consuming. Switching vendors would delay MOTUC (probably 2 months). The only other solution is to have them made SOLELY at the Barbie Factory, etc., etc. The boxset idea. That idea came out of necessity/compromise.

Besides, the clean shaven MAA head works for potential army builders.
    I don't know. His eyebrows/face looks too distinct and less generic.

Yeah, they don't take into consideration that people might wish to doctor up their figs. But seeing as now you sound like a customizer, I'm sure you took great advantage of the new fig.
    Not really a big customizer. I've learned what I had to to fix broken/error figures. lol

The reason I think there might be some sort of rule against it, is because clearly it's never been done. Mattel has never sold just a pack of Barbie heads for retail. You said yourself, you couldn't even get a right foot for one of your figs.

I don't know if there is some sort of legality, or just some unspoken policy about it, but it seems pretty taboo.
    I could be wrong, but I think I recall the CyGirl type stuff (think biker chick/assassin barbie) selling just heads.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Eternian Actor Master_Of_Metropolis's Avatar
    I just don't want rooted hair. That's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Of_Metropolis View Post
    I just don't want rooted hair. That's just me...
    That's alright. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Thanks for sharing your opinion.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Please please please.....no rooted hair

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Yes. The gear gizmo inside would wind it up after you pulled it. They kept it the same as the 80's minus the gear
    Okay, so there's the difference. Thus, MOTUC Webstor's grapple hook is just an added accessory now, rather than an action feature, as with his vintage version. So now, he's basically like Alpine from GI Joe.

They advertised it on Matty and Facebook and told fans if it didn't sell out at the con, left-overs would make it to Matty. No left-overs.
    On a side note, I really think it's great that every thing MOTUC related that they have made thus far is selling out. They seem to be doing far better with a "collector's line", than they ever did with most of their mass market stuff.

I've never seen a Barbie figure sell out at Target or somewhere like that, unless it was an Anniversary Edition Desparate HouseWive version or something.

Maybe the Collector's Line approach is just what the doctor ordered. But I digress....

Well, yes they could re-use them if sales on this tanked. They have a sub-line called Mini Princesses or My Kingdom (name escapes me) but they are Marvel Legend-MOTUC height. The heads wouldn't would work on those bodies, but they could make a new Barbie buck and slap the heads on. Voila, a new Princess.
    Somebody get this dude a job at Mattel!! You keep coming up with ideas like that, TG's gonna be out of a job!!

I, and everyone else, would have MUCH preferred this, but Mattel dropped the ball. They chose a vendor that doesn't have the capability of doing rooted heads. Then the switched vendors and that vendor doesn't have the capability of doing rooted heads.
    I don't see this so much as dropping the ball, as Mattel making a decision of what they thought was in the best interest of the line, and what the fans wanted from it. I wasn't under the impression that they were interested in doing rooted heads to begin with, for MOTUC.

Dropping the ball would be, that they had the intention of doing it initially, then didn't make the necessary moves to exuecute it. But as it stands, I thought that they didn't want to do rooted heads, because they wanted a unified look for the line.

TG explained having, say a Barbie Factor make the heads, ship them to the MOTUC factory to put in the package would be too costly and time consuming. Switching vendors would delay MOTUC (probably 2 months). The only other solution is to have them made SOLELY at the Barbie Factory, etc., etc. The boxset idea. That idea came out of necessity/compromise.
    Understood.

I don't know. His eyebrows/face looks too distinct and less generic.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Now that I look at my MAA fig, they would probably need to sculpt at least 2 different heads to make them Eternian soldier army builders. Maybe one guy with a more triangular shaped head.

Hey, I remember on one episode of the MYP toon, that there was an "African American" Eternian solider. So maybe they could do like the GI Joe line did with the Crimson Guardsmen, where one was African American.

Otherwise, it would just look like your shelf was littered with a bunch of Duncan's.

Of course, they would have to do a paint variation as well.

I could be wrong, but I think I recall the CyGirl type stuff (think biker chick/assassin barbie) selling just heads.
    Never heard of it. But upon http://www.iconusa4.com/online/Cy_Girls_Main.htm, I can see this (and the company that makes them) being the exception to any and every rule out there.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; January 15, 2010 at 11:53pm.

Okay, so there's the difference. Thus, MOTUC Webstor's grapple hook is just an added accessory now, rather than an action feature, as with his vintage version. So now, he's basically like Alpine from GI Joe.
    I don't recall Alpine...but sure. BA He-Man Webstor, Mek-A-Neck, etc. basically have a "do it yourself" action figure. We should call them delayed features because it takes time for us to make the "action" happen. lol

On a side note, I really think it's great that every thing MOTUC related that they have made thus far is selling out. They seem to be doing far better with a "collector's line", than they ever did with most of their mass market stuff.

I've never seen a Barbie figure sell out at Target or somewhere like that, unless it was an Anniversary Edition Desparate HouseWive version or something.

Maybe the Collector's Line approach is just what the doctor ordered. But I digress....
    It's true. If MOTUC was at retail, they probably would have canned it already due to peg warming, distribution problems, etc. I'm glad they're finally doing a much better job with MOTUC. 200X problems broke my heart.

Somebody get this dude a job at Mattel!! You keep coming up with ideas like that, TG's gonna be out of a job!!
    Thanks. I really should work on getting some different degrees as action figures have been my passion since I was 4 and always would tell my mom how they could make them better, ideas for new toys, etc. lol Now I probably have over 10 000 figures.

Dropping the ball would be, that they had the intention of doing it initially, then didn't make the necessary moves to exuecute it. But as it stands, I thought that they didn't want to do rooted heads, because they wanted a unified look for the line.
    True, but it would have been nice to keep the option open. What I'm really curious about is if they DO a fur Grizzlor how that will happen as that will require special sewing macines (like rooting hair does). If they can put fur on Grizzy, they should be able to root some heads.

Yeah, you're probably right. Now that I look at my MAA fig, they would probably need to sculpt at least 2 different heads to make them Eternian soldier army builders. Maybe one guy with a more triangular shaped head.

Hey, I remember on one episode of the MYP toon, that there was an "African American" Eternian solider. So maybe they could do like the GI Joe line did with the Crimson Guardsmen, where one was African American.

Otherwise, it would just look like your shelf was littered with a bunch of Duncan's.
    Making mustacheless Duncan head black might actually work. Good idea. Side note: there was a black Eternian guard in the 80's cartoon that helped Marlena when she recued the Royal family from Skeletor. He led the battalion. I always liked to think he was Clamp Champ as he became Randor's personal bodyguard. Promotion for saving everyone! I figured the MYP guy was in reference to him.

Never heard of it. But upon http://www.iconusa4.com/online/Cy_Girls_Main.htm, I can see this (and the company that makes them) being the exception to any and every rule out there.
    Could be. There's some pretty racy Cy-Girl stuff...and customes! Anyhow, while a head boxset may seem weird, I think it is pretty innovative and could take off in great popularity (no pop pun intended).

It's kind of like how Mattel was looking into selling blank figures for customizers "if there's enough interest." That's a pretty new idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Speaking of assumption, you seem to be assuming that only POP
    fans bought Adora, or atleast that is what you seem to be implying.
    You should be commending the MOTU fanbase for Adora's sellout, not
    just POP fans.
    Azrael as usual, you didn't read my post. If you look at my actual comment you will see I thanked the POP fans and any other fans who bought Adora.

So maybe you should read more closely before making assumptions about what I said.

The funny part is you even used my quote, yet still made reference that I only thanked POP fans, which if you read again, you will see I thanked everyone who purchased her.

As for the rooted hair, I really don't care, but when I see comments like the one you posted...it bothered me due to the fact that you assume that the POP fanbase is small and due to the fact they are smaller (in your opinion) they don't deserve to be heard about things that feel would be a nice "classic" look for POP. They didn't say "just" include rooted-hair, they simply asked for an additional head with rooted-hair to tie in the classic part of POP. This is a perfectly normal request, due to the fact that it would tie in the classic part of POP, yet still give others who want plastic hair their normal mold Mattel will be providing.

Preferential treatment? LoL you still amaze me at your responses...again referring back to all the things I related your previous comments to, you again say something that other "majority" people have said about those exact topics you feel were so rude to compare this topic against.

Like I said, this isn't as important as women's rights or the civil movement. However your comments just point out that your mind set is the same as the "majority" felt about the above issues. They felt it was preferential treatment, watch documentaries about these issues, including gay marriage and you will see the people against these subjects told people voting that this law would give "preferential treatment" or "special treatment".

I look forward to your response, as you will probably say more things that just confirm the mentality you have about "minorities" not being important enough to add things into the line (especially since these "minorities" seem to be the POP fans and would like some classic nostalgia added to their POP figures).
    Last edited by CicconeSC; January 16, 2010 at 05:05am.

I can't see the reason of this discussion. I think Toyguru answered in some Q&A they were not going to do any heads pack (I think he was asked about a helmetless Zodak). He said, however, that would be a good point if that figure was re-released ever.

So unless things have changed and I'm unaware, I don't see a head pack coming soon (or even ever).
    Last edited by Vearn; January 16, 2010 at 07:44pm. Reason: ****** orthography

Quote Originally Posted by Vearn View Post
    I can't see the reason of this discussion. I think Touyguru answered in some Q&A the were not going to do anny heads pack (I think he was asked about helmetless Zodack). He said, however, that would be a good point if that figure was rereleased ever.

So unless things have changed and I'm unaware, I don't see a head pack coming soon (or even ever).
    I don't recall seeing the Zodak question...but the point is to discuss a head pack, come up with the cheapest possible way to do it and see what Mattel says (which we are doing).

TG's answer regarding this head pack (which is in my first post), did not make sense. I think he misunderstood as he said they would have to be shipped back to the MOTUC factory. So, I think he thought pack in heads, not head pack...which can solely be done in one factory...pending their is not contractual restriction.

I feel that rooted hair doesn't look quite right, especially when seen next to figures with sculpted hair. Just my opinion, obviously.
    A boy and his cat versus the world...
    http://www.jaybellbooks.com/the-cat-in-the-cradle/

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    The 4H are among the best toy sculptors on the planet.

Whenever possible, I want more detailed sculpted parts from them, not fewer.

Any rooted hair heads that I'm "forced" to buy (ie. packed as bonus heads) will go unused.

I don't think I want rooted hair on MOTUC.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Ok, then bring on rooted hair Teela and Lyn and a rooted feather Sorceress also...

And I want a second head with rooted hair for He-Man, He-Ro, Randor, Faker, Fisto, Jitsu, Blade... ehrm...wait ...

Real hair braids for King Grayskull...

How soft will the plastic for Grizzlor be, if you root his hair, too?