Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 200X ADAM & VINTAGE ADAM in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by Crawful View Post
    we already have an adam. we don't need another. case closed. lock this thread.
    Shouldn't it say:

Quote Originally Posted by Crawful View Post
    I already have an adam. I don't need another. case closed. lock this thread.
    By that Logic, TP He-Man, FF He-Man, BA Skeletor, TC Skeletor and DB Skeletor shouldn't be made. Even BA He-Man shouldn't exist since MOTUC already HAS a He-Man figure. Would this apply to the MOTUC vs DCUC 2 packs as well?

Also I love how you state your opinion as fact and demand the mods to lock the threads as if the highest authority in all things MOTU has spoken and only you can have the final word on it. IF you don't like a "young" Adam, DON'T BUY HIM!! I'm not buying Gygor, but I'm not going on every thrad saying Gygor sucks! Case closed, lock the thread.

this is why I wish Mattel would do a 200X Sorceress first, just to see the "Vintage Purists" go back on their stance about begging a different version of the character.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Also I love how you state your opinion as fact and demand the mods to lock the threads as if the highest authority in all things MOTU has spoken and only you can have the final word on it. IF you don't like a "young" Adam, DON'T BUY HIM!! I'm not buying Gygor, but I'm not going on every thrad saying Gygor sucks! Case closed, lock the thread.
    Well said.

this is why I wish Mattel would do a 200X Sorceress first, just to see the "Vintage Purists" go back on their stance about begging a different version of the character.
    I know. I'd love to see the shoe on the other foot for a change, so they can understand where the 200X fans are coming from.

Toyguru did say that usually the Classic version would come first, but it isn't a "hard rule". I'd like to see this happen.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 8, 2010 at 04:43pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It wasn't ridiculous in 200X, unless you hated Adam looking different than He-Man then. Unlike Classic Prince Adam who is so identical to He-Man, his head can be placed on He-Man's body for Pete's sake, a different looking Adam is the entire point of the figure.

If a 200X Adam is impossible, then you might as well say Sagitar (centaur), Artilla (blocky robot), Rokkon, Stonedar (rock people), Gwildor (dwarf), Leech (thick) and Mantenna (4 legs) are also impossible. All different body types AND newly sculpted bodies there.
    Artilla wasn't so blocky in the cartoon. I hope they bring some of that element into his figure. The cartoon design of Artilla - cool. The vintage figure design...not so much...
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

200X Prince Adam is a MUST!

After reading a thread about whether or not Queen Marlena knows her son's secret - I was motivated to start this thread (it might be old news, but it's a new topic to me).

I'm thinking that maybe they included Prince Adam as an "accessory" for Orko because:

1. They wanted to get the vintage release out of the way
    2. Open the door for a Prince Adam "variant"

I believed it's explained somewhere that Adam uses the same design structure as He-Man as a conserving design strategy - he definitely doesn't look 17-18yrs old in the Filmation show. The idea that Adam and He-Man are essentially identical twins, and nobody notices, is a little far-fetched.

MYP handled it a little better with the "scrawny", boyish Adam. And for the sake of contemporary logic, it would make sense to have the real release of a Prince Adam figure be the scrawny 200X version.

What do you guys think? Vintage Adam or 200X Adam?
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

I think...its complicated!

I really like the 200X Adam design. Adam's outfit and the identical/Adam He-Man have always been the easiest things to giggle at about the original series(I still love it though) The 200X version miraculously solved both of these things while retaining the basic outfit design.

I can't choose which I like better. The Classics Adam somehow makes the vintage outfit look less silly to me, but I'd love to see a 200X version.

He'd need an entirely new slim body shape, which may not be likely. Also, the gameplan for entirely different character designs seems to be to introduce them as a separate character. Zodac and Zodak are different guys, Vikor exists in the Classics world and isn't referred to as "concept" He-Man.
    It's hard to see how they'd work him in. Teenage Adam? He-Man's future son?

Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post

I really like the 200X Adam design. Adam's outfit and the identical/Adam He-Man have always been the easiest things to giggle at about the original series(I still love it though) The 200X version miraculously solved both of these things while retaining the basic outfit design.

I can't choose which I like better. The Classics Adam somehow makes the vintage outfit look less silly to me, but I'd love to see a 200X version.

He'd need an entirely new slim body shape, which may not be likely. Also, the gameplan for entirely different character designs seems to be to introduce them as a separate character. Zodac and Zodak are different guys, Vikor exists in the Classics world and isn't referred to as "concept" He-Man.
    I like Classics Adam too. The reasons you like both characters...well I agree. I personally lean more towards the 200X version, because that secret identity makes more sense. They could re-use the sculpt for "Dare - The Son of He-Man" I suppose (a little far-fetched I know).

I always thought of 200X Adam at around 15yrs old. And as he got older, he would start to resemble He-Man more (Adam grown up and beefed out) - which is the case when he's 18yrs and older in NA.

Heroic Warrior Muscle of Grayskul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeEyes22 View Post

Very good point, I don't know how they'll handle it. My guess is either way it'll be 2012 or later before we see 200x Adam. I can see them simply calling it a Character Variant as the TS proposed. I think the character that will set the variant precedent/standard will be how they handle the sorceress, and I think she will get released at least once before we see 200x Adam in my opinion. Depending how they handle her I think will give us a window into how they intend on handling massive character design differences between 200x and vintage. The fact that we didn't get an Adam Bio with the Orko 2 pack makes me think they're either saving the bio for DC comic variant Adam or 200x Adam. I guess only time will tell.
    When I'm lifting heavy objects I sometimes shout, "BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL"

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle of Grayskul View Post
    Very good point, I don't know how they'll handle it. My guess is either way it'll be 2012 or later before we see 200x Adam. I can see them simply calling it a Character Variant as the TS proposed. I think the character that will set the variant precedent/standard will be how they handle the sorceress, and I think she will get released at least once before we see 200x Adam in my opinion. Depending how they handle her I think will give us a window into how they intend on handling massive character design differences between 200x and vintage. The fact that we didn't get an Adam Bio with the Orko 2 pack makes me think they're either saving the bio for DC comic variant Adam or 200x Adam. I guess only time will tell.
    I don't really follow your logic here about the Sorceress' release. She had a figure in the vintage 80s run. Thus, her first release will be based on that figure design and updated. TG has already confirmed that first releases of a figure will be based predominately on the vintage look, if there was a figure in the 80s of that character, perhaps with some nods here and there to the 200x design. The only exception to this rule has been with the POP characters. For some reason, those are being based on the style guide interpretations of the characters. So, how is handling her design going to effect the release of a 200x Adam?

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    I don't really follow your logic here about the Sorceress' release. She had a figure in the vintage 80s run. Thus, her first release will be based on that figure design and updated. TG has already confirmed that first releases of a figure will be based predominately on the vintage look, if there was a figure in the 80s of that character, perhaps with some nods here and there to the 200x design. The only exception to this rule has been with the POP characters. For some reason, those are being based on the style guide interpretations of the characters. So, how is handling her design going to effect the release of a 200x Adam?
    I can't comment on the Sorceress/Adam logic, but I would like to follow up on your comment about the POP characters.

I think it's safe to say that the style guide designs have a wider appeal, and are thus "safer" for the toy designs. I suspect that the powers that be feel that doing designs based directly on the original POP toys would not do as well as the less "efeminizing" vintage toy designs. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually released the vintage POP designs all as variants - maybe even with rooted hair and cloth clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    I think it's safe to say that the style guide designs have a wider appeal, and are thus "safer" for the toy designs. I suspect that the powers that be feel that doing designs based directly on the original POP toys would not do as well as the less "efeminizing" vintage toy designs. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually released the vintage POP designs all as variants - maybe even with rooted hair and cloth clothes.
    Good point. I wouldn't count on the latter as variants though, especially with rooted hair. I am still skeptical we are even going to get to all of the POP figures in the first place, much less any variants. The rooted hair is logistically out for this line unless in goes to retail or something much bigger. I doubt they will change manufacturers just for rooted hair based on the size of the line is now.

Good point. I wouldn't count on the latter as variants though, especially with rooted hair. I am still skeptical we are even going to get to all of the POP figures in the first place, much less any variants. The rooted hair is logistically out for this line unless in goes to retail or something much bigger. I doubt they will change manufacturers just for rooted hair based on the size of the line is now.
    I see your point. I like to dream big...

There will come a time when Mattel will have to diversify its collectors line (or license it out...yeah right), as well as someday relaunch a core boys toys line to keep MOTU going (that's coming from what I've seen Hasbro do with Transformers).

Sorry I didn't explain it well , first off I personally think we will see a Sorceress release before we see 200x Adam, just what I think.
    That being said, I really wonder what look we'll get for the Sorceress, supposedly filmation is off limits and there are mutliple vintage Sorceress incarnations in addition to the filmation one, so I will be curious to see what look the sorceress has and how much if any 200x influence is on the first figure we get. I get what you're saying about what TG said, however we have yet to get a "vintage" looking figure followed by a 200x variant. I understand the line is still in its infancy but we're getting our 4th He-Man variant now (Wun-Dar, BA, TRU, BA) (5 if you count vintage Adam) and we have yet to see a 200x inspired He-Man (Snake Armor, 200x Harness, Ice Armor). So far all of the 200x variant things we've gotten have been included in the original release of the "variant" figure (Trap Jaw's Kronis parts, 200x heads, 200x weapons, etc.) (that's obviously not including 200x unique characters like Chief Carnivus, Keldor, etc.)

So what I was trying to say was that depending on what the Sorceress looks like in her original release, and how much if any 200x influence is included I think will set a precedent for 200x characters that are different from their vintage predecessors. So if the sorceress is an all vintage look, with pretty much zero 200x influence then yes, we will still be getting 200x character renditions sometime in the line like Adam and Sorceress. But if there are 200x influences on her figure, then I say no 200x variant of sorceress and chances for a 200x Adam look bleak. Again this is just my opinion, and I think a lot of this is based on Mattel scaling back 200x influences on the line to maintain a "classic" look

Hope that clears up what I was trying to say and hope you can follow my thought process there

Sorry I didn't explain it well , first off I personally think we will see a Sorceress release before we see 200x Adam, just what I think.
    That being said, I really wonder what look we'll get for the Sorceress, supposedly filmation is off limits and there are mutliple vintage Sorceress incarnations in addition to the filmation one, so I will be curious to see what look the sorceress has and how much if any 200x influence is on the first figure we get.
    We will essentially be getting the "Filmation" Sorceress, as that is the look that her vintage figure had. The only thing that was different was the addition of that cool staff. The 200X Sorceress will be a variant for later in the series.

And maybe we'll get more Sorceress variants - classic color 200X Sorceress, NA Sorceress (if the have/get the rights), Motion Picture Sorceress (if they get rights). There I go dreaming big again, but I'm looking for the longevity of MOTU product, whether it's in MOTUC or not.

Well I hope we do get multiple sorcerress incarnations, I just am not sure we will unfortunately :/

Heroic Warrior
    Don't worry, as soon as the big wigs at Matty see this thread they will put 200X Adam on the top of the priority list. Maybe they already have a prototype. Unfortunately when the fans speak, Matty listens.

Matty should just make a new toy line just for 200X figures this way they don't have to be in the MOTUC line period.

Yes I'm anti-200X... have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Don't worry, as soon as the big wigs at Matty see this thread they will put 200X Adam on the top of the priority list. Maybe they already have a prototype. Unfortunately when the fans speak, Matty listens.

Matty should just make a new toy line just for 200X figures this way they don't have to be in the MOTUC line period.

Yes I'm anti-200X... have a nice day.
    LOL. I doubt it'll be that easy. Anti-200X? That's OK. As long as you support MOTU overall.

however we have yet to get a "vintage" looking figure followed by a 200x variant.
    Umm what about Zodac/Zodak? Or are you counting them as two characters?

I'd like to have it. I'm not displaying the MOTUC Adam we got so far, honestly, because looks so... eh. Mediocre? Never owned the vintage one either, he just never interested me.

Heroic Warrior
    Well... maybe not anti-200X since I love the MYP cartoon.

Matty is a business...

They do marketing research like any company would...

They see that there are some serious 200X fans out there...

So they make a Count Marzo figure in all of his Hyper-Anime glory...

The fans love it...

The fans buy it...

Matty makes money

Then comes Keldor...

Now Carnivous...

200X fans are happy... Vintage line fans are like "what the !@#$"

I don't know where I'm going with this.

But... If there has to be a 200X Adam in the MOTUC lineup, I think they should make a smaller buck for him since he is just a lad.

Can Matty reuse this smaller buck for other characters?

Not likely.

So will they make him?

Probably, because 200X fans want him.

While the Smaller "Male Teen buck" would not get much reuse, its Female Counterpart could get some use. Teen Teela, The "Horde Camp" Teen Adora (to match the Teen Adam) Heck even a "Young Lyn" (As Seen on the Episode: The Price of Deceit) to use with Keldor's team.

I DO want the "Teen Adam" for a couple of reasons:
    -It's a smaller Adam that looks Different enough from He-Man.
    -Would have a MOTUC-ized version of his 200X look. (which I like more than the classic Tunic and tights from Vintage Adam)
    -The "Closed" Version of the 200X sword.
    -An individual Bio that could elaborate on Adam's quest to get the 2 halves of the power sword.

Absolutely they should make a smaller buck for 200X Adam. Why make him otherwise? I pretty much agree to all the reasons DO4M lays out for 200X Adam, except that atrocious 200X sword - I HATE the techno swords, NA or 200X. Please don't let NA He-Man have that stupid sword, just stick with the original...don't break it if it works.

I kinda like the NA sword and Adam's 200x closed sword.Hate the 200x open sword though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dampiel View Post
    I kinda like the NA sword and Adam's 200x closed sword.Hate the 200x open sword though.
    The closed techno sword looks a LOT better than the open version.

I doubt they'd develop a new Buck for Adam. They'd more likely use a DCUC body, Captain Cold's legs are pretty close for example. I don't see them doing this since he'd look way more out of place than Marzo. $20 for a small guy isn't all that thrilling either. If tooling wasn't such an issue, I could see a 200X Adam/Cringer Beast pack, but only if the fabled land of retail comes into play and he's an exclusive at a store willing to invest in it.

As I said, fitting him into the story would be odd. I can see a 200X Sorceress coming after the original since its so different and could be explained story-wise by claiming it as her pre-Sorceress days as a warrior. I wouldn't really care much if she got made. I'm not too thrilled by supporting PoP characters either, but when it comes to females I'd rather see PoP fans finally get their passion rewarded after so long. I'd probably find their excitement to be rather contagious.

While 200x is my favorite incarnation of MOTU, I'm really not interested in a second prince Adam figure. So I do not want a teen prince Adam at all.

Plus, part of the fun of this line is seeing how much they can reuse and repaint existing parts to make new figures.