Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What IS that Thing? (Discussions about unknown MOTU and POP items)

What IS that Thing? (Discussions about unknown MOTU and POP items)

Hello, and welcome to what I'm gona try to pass off as a discussion thread. Through the years I’m sure you’ve noticed many tiny details on MotU figures new and old. Now, with the MotUC line, we are able to see some of those details either enhanced or brought out in ways that make you look at them and say: “Just what IS that thing?” more so then ever! Some you can probably name off right here and now!

That’s only part of the point for this thread however. I would like to get some nice clear pics in here of the parts in question, but what I’m looking for is this: Lets take a look at those crazy details and either find an explanation in the mythos OR come on in and explain what you’ve always thought it was! Heck, if you’ve never noticed it before, then make up what you think it is on the spot! Even if the detail has a full official explanation, why not give your thoughts on what you use it for?

Now I want to start this off with a few real good ones from just one guy: Man-At-Arms.

The arm laser!

The armor with the breather thingy with 1.) Some sorta comm system and 2.) possibly buttons to start the breather?

MotuC

200X

And the inside of his mask for reference to the breathing unit.

Some of these things are new, for instance, the arm laser was on some old concept art (but not on the original figure, to my knowledge), and MAA is clearly shooting lasers from his arms in the opening to the Filmation toon. What is it, or what do you use it for?

Next, the details on MAA's armor are classic to the core. They've mostly been brought out from the original (though I lost that years ago so we gotta use the .org for reference) and there are many little things on there to figure out. The big part, though, is the breathing unit. Would a half mask be useful? Maybe there are other parts that make it air tight that we don't see?

I'm probably one of the people here with the least amount of real information, so I'll let this thread fill up a bit before adding my own ideas. Like I said though, lets see what we have! Solid offical info? Cool! Made up stuff? Also cool! Find any way you can to answer any questions about any odd details on any of the MotUC figures in: What IS that Thing?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Wandering the abyss, in search of an alliance of consequence.
    I agree with your observations of Man-At-Arms. I'm wondering if Teela got the wrist laser also?
    Find the things in life that bring you joy and hold onto them with every ounce of your being.

Heroic Warrior
    wow OP, you are really into your toys. i never overanalyze their designs like that!

Heroic Warrior
    :X

Well, I've always wondered what the goat like figure is or refers to in Teela & Evil Lyn's outfits.

Hey cool thread!
    I like it when the little details actually have a reason for being there as opposed to simply for aesthetics. And the arm guard laser was often used in the Filmation toon, was it not?
    – No comment.

This is actually a great idea for a thread.

MAA certainly does have quite a few great and interesting tidbits on his armor. The breathing apparatus could be similar to the armor of stormtroopers (albeit not even quite as functional) as they can withstand the pressures of space for a time in simply their normal gear. (I'm not saying that Duncan could do the same, but that his armor can work as tactical breathing gear in harsh circumstances. I would venture thatif it covered his eyes better, he would be able to go up against Stinkor without any problem.

Your observations are quite good and (IMO) spot-on! Way to go, Alexx! You rock.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

#2 is the button he uses to call his mom to pick him up

well in the MOTU intro he DOES shoot at the camera with a wrist laser. makes sense. i never noticed that, good catch.

the inner armor detail could be a comm system to talk to palace guards and the other masters.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Thanks folks! If it's one thing I've always done over the years, it's look WAY too closely at my toys. I've always been finding those little details and trying to come up with reasons for them (Zodac's bullet belt, for instance, but I'll take pics and bring that up in this thread later).

Now, for my ideas:

- Arm Laser: Of course, I'm just calling it that because he shoots them off in the Filmation toon. Turns out I was wrong about the Concept Art, though. The thing is clearly not on his armor there. So now I assume the arm laser was added by the 4H either as a homage to Filmation or to thier own 200X arm gun. Either way, I think it's safe to assume it's a laser of sorts, but in the spirit of being "realistic" (as far as you can take that, given the subject) I like to think of it as a tool-type laser; not one to shoot at foes. Mostly because I'd like him to continue to use that armor to block weapons, and having a high powered laser on your arm might...hinder that idea.

- Breathing Unit: This always baffles me! It only covered the front of his face, and he can easily move his head upward out of the way. Nonetheless, it's not just a sheild; there are the new details made by the 4H inside that finally line up with the tank and tube attached. As Uki pointed out, the most likely conclusion is that it is a breather for harsh conditions. It's not air tight, but it's close, and I imagine he could traverse windy deserts and volcanic wastelands without having any trouble in the area of breathing. So, we can probably chalk up the buttons and wires to making that work...however, there's also that comm unit looking thing! I don't remember the Filmation toon well enough, but they and the 200X toon had radio communications, right? I think that's pretty simple. But hey, why stop with the standards? It could also be a primitive recording device, which I imagine would come in handy in all sorts of situations (I think of the original Mini-Comic MAA as a traveler as well, who probably collected data on Eternia for maps and encyclopedias 'n such).

So that's my take on it! Feel free to continue with MAA, but don't forget: This is also for ANY figures with crazy little details! I'll let MAA go for a bit before I post on Zodac, next.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Remember to check out the original cardback of 8 figures, since 4Horsemen drew lot of inspiration from those illustrations.

You can see Man-At-Arms' arm-laser in there too.

So thats the orginal 8 figures from back then. WOW, I didn't know that. I have always loved MOTU but never knew WHO was the orginal 8. Out of the 8 I only had 3 of them.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Ah-HA! I knew I saw the laser in some original art somewhere! THAT was it! Thank you very much.

Now, if you look close, you can see that the half ring around his wrist is there, but the nozzle protruding from it in the MotUC pic isn't. Seems like that might have still been a 4H detail, but they might have add access to other art that we haven't seen, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post

Now, for my ideas:

- Arm Laser: Of course, I'm just calling it that because he shoots them off in the Filmation toon. Turns out I was wrong about the Concept Art, though. The thing is clearly not on his armor there. So now I assume the arm laser was added by the 4H either as a homage to Filmation or to thier own 200X arm gun. Either way, I think it's safe to assume it's a laser of sorts, but in the spirit of being "realistic" (as far as you can take that, given the subject) I like to think of it as a tool-type laser; not one to shoot at foes. Mostly because I'd like him to continue to use that armor to block weapons, and having a high powered laser on your arm might...hinder that idea.

So that's my take on it! Feel free to continue with MAA, but don't forget: This is also for ANY figures with crazy little details! I'll let MAA go for a bit before I post on Zodac, next.

I love this thread and I haven't had anything to add to it until now....

The arm laser is best suited as to what you just mentioned, a tool. MAA is always building something so I think that arm laser is more of a welder or blowtorch tool. Plus he now has a pistol on his backpack so he doesn't need an arm laser

I've always been finding those little details and trying to come up with reasons for them (Zodac's bullet belt, for instance, but I'll take pics and bring that up in this thread later).
    I have always wondered about the bullet belt so I am interested to read what ideas get suggested.

I will now be looking over my figures closely to see what else I can add to this thread

great disscussion, i like that they are enchancing these little secrets that have dissapeared for so long.

Wrist Laser:
    I see it more as a tool, but it has its combat uses...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    A nice idea for a thread - much better than all of the moaning and b*tching that sadly seems to dominate the .org so much nowadays.

Anyway, regarding the "buttons" on MAA's chest armor... I don't know why, but personally I always imagined these to be detonators for explosives that he'd planted. I don't really know where I got this notion from (possibly from an illustation that I misunderstood as a child?), but that's what they've always been in my personal universe.

Also for possible discussion - just what is that thing on the back of Beast Man and Stratos' hand? For BM, maybe it's some kind of basic, crude weapon, that will injure people in battle... don't know what Statos' one could be explained as though.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Also for possible discussion - just what is that thing on the back of Beast Man and Stratos' hand? For BM, maybe it's some kind of basic, crude weapon, that will injure people in battle... don't know what Statos' one could be explained as though.

Knuckledusters, cestus or half-gauntlet.

Why couldn't Stratos have one of those? He's almost as brutal and bestial as Beastman (in appearance & perhaps fighting style too).

Tho for Stratos I always figured his hand-tool was just that - and used to control his flight-pack using his hand/fingers.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Anyway, regarding the "buttons" on MAA's chest armor... I don't know why, but personally I always imagined these to be detonators for explosives that he'd planted. I don't really know where I got this notion from (possibly from an illustation that I misunderstood as a child?), but that's what they've always been in my personal universe.
    Interesting! With all his weapons, I never thought of him with explosives. Good idea!

This is what he's referencing, folks! I know this has been talked about on many other threads (on the side) but now we can hit it head on.

First off, the obvious: It's a nice spiked knuckle. Also, since Stratos and Beastman both used the same mold, well, they were bound to get the same thing (they took it off of MotUC Stratos, mind you). The most common answer people come up with, though, is that it's a laser! This comes from the fact that Stratos would shoot lasers from his hands in the original Mini-Comics. I'm not fond of the idea, since the thing seems to have no technological parts and it's obviously a set of spikes, but the original one there is uncolored and vague, so I can see where it comes from. Nonetheless, since EVERYTHING shoots lasers in the original comics (swords, hands, whatever) I wouldn't use that as a reason for that spike knuckle to be a laser.

Just my own opinion, though! Once again, this thread is not only for what it may be, but what you use it for, as well.

The arm laser!
    If it is a tool, perhaps it has changeable "bits", like a drill?

The armor with the breather thingy with 1.) Some sorta comm system and 2.) possibly buttons to start the breather?
    The breather could also be used to release gases - not just breathable air - to give MAA an edge - either to reduce pain from injury, or send him into a fighting-frenzy.

Or perhaps MAA doesn't know how this stuff works (I don't like his Filmation genius-inventor guise) but just wears it because it is good strong armour from Ancient times- a prestige thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    If it is a tool, perhaps it has changeable "bits", like a drill?

The breather could also be used to release gases - not just breathable air - to give MAA an edge - either to reduce pain from injury, or send him into a fighting-frenzy.

Or perhaps MAA doesn't know how this stuff works (I don't like his Filmation genius-inventor guise) but just wears it because it is good strong armour from Ancient times- a prestige thing?
    Very good ideas! He does have more little tool bits on the back of his armor, now, so heck, the arm peice could be a multi-tool!

Also, very nice thinking for the breather! I was hoping people would really cut loose with that. Never thought of gases 'n such. Who knows, the armor could have built-in medical gases (futuristic stuff) to help repair your everyday futuristic-past warrior! As you said, though, MAA might not even know about it and is wearing the armor for simply it's protective properties.

Cool thread! I always figured Man-at-Arms breather unit formed a force-field bubble over his head when activated.

As for Beastman...I always figured those things on his hand were some sort of retractable brass knuckles. They actually look like miniature punch daggers used in martial arts.

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    I always thought that the claw on Beast Man's wrist was mostly for decoration. Maybe the teeth of some beast he killed and he wears them as a trophy. Basically it looks tribal to me and since Beast Man already has claws on his own I never saw it as anything other than jewelry. I of course could be wrong.

His shoulder spikes on the other hand could serve him in battle I suppose. If he wants to shoulder slam someone I would imagine that would hurt. They also seem armored so I am sure they offer him protection as well.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Beast Spike "Claw Things":
    What if those are dipped in some sort of natural anesthetic/drug to subdue certain beasts? (maybe to help BM control some of the more wild beasts?)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Hey cool thread!
    I like it when the little details actually have a reason for being there as opposed to simply for aesthetics. And the arm guard laser was often used in the Filmation toon, was it not?
    It was in the intro

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    It was in the intro
    Yup! I went into that earlier in the thread, actually, but do you know if he used the arm lasers at all in the toon, or was it only in the intro? Purely for curiosity's sake.