Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What IS that Thing? (Discussions about unknown MOTU and POP items)

While we're discussing MAA, why not a shot of his head?

To me, his helmet looks more like it could have another purpose - it is covered in delicate electronics (or ornaments?) which I imaged to be part of a circuit that plugged into his brain, giving this barbarian the ability to actually understand technology.

Therefore, it is only a helmet because it is hard, but really, it is a big plug-in brain from Ancient times....

I am loving this thread! This is the kinda thread I look forward to seeing here!!

This is fun.

I agree that the MAA arm thing is a Laser or even shoots out a gas or something, probably anything he can imagine. Good call on the helmet, perhaps it's attuned to his brainwaves and controls the technological armaments on his suit, so instead of having some button to press in his palm he can just think it and a laser fires, his gas mask comes up, or if you like the 200x version, his shoulder pad or shield comes up.

I thought the Beastman thing was spiked knuckles, he's a brawler type character to me, and I imagined it helped with training his beasts. I had also thought they might be tranquilizer darts that he could shoot from his hands to capture wild beasts or put them under some kind of control. I hadn't even noticed that Stratos had one, too!

Let's keep this one going, it's the best thread I've read in some time.

I'll toss something in the bucket: Zodac's Helmet and Armor: On the helmet there are buttons near the ears, what do you guys think they do, and on Zodak the front of the armor almost looks like pouches or even energy cells. Your opinions?
    Last edited by AmericanLegend; January 19, 2010 at 05:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanLegend View Post
    I'll toss something in the bucket: Zodac's Helmet and Armor: On the helmet there are buttons near the ears,
    Switch on iPod for those long journeys thru interstellar space.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanLegend View Post
    what do you guys think they do, and on Zodak the front of the armor almost looks like pouches or even energy cells.
    Happy pills. It's tough being a comic enforcer.

Alright, I'll get a pic of MAA's helmet later on, but I did get pics of Zodac for when we got to him, and since you asked, I might as well put them up (I'll throw up his helmet later with MAA's).

Zodac's Bullet Belt

Zodac's new Backpack (First seen in 200X)

As for my ideas:

- I always thought of the bullets in his belt as special optional cartridges to load into his gun. I mean, all he ever came with was that one gun, so I had to think of something else for him to do other than just fire that thing! So those cartridges had different effects; kinda like an ice one, or a small condensed gravity-well explosion, etc.

- I can only imagine that the new backpack is there to aid in his flight! Honestly though, I think it adds to the whole harness as a power source. It'll create a little gravity bubble that allows him to fly, and also power his weapon and any other crazy space tech he's carrying. It's a great addition to the original harness, I think, as it gives that extra detail that makes his powers a bit more technological rather than mystical.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Ooooh! I love the gravity bubble idea!

As for the "bullets," I wonder whether they should be cartridges or something else. Wun-Dar's gun (exactly the same) is supposed to draw from nearly limitless power, right? Perhaps those bullet are actually for his armor. Power cells for it, which only need to be replaced every decade or so, depending on use?
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Alexx, this thread is so awesome!
    Seriously, it's cool to see an interesting thread like this, instead of the "usual" kind of stuff we post about here lately.

Anyway, I totally used to think exactly the same thing about Zodac's bullet belt!
    I'm going to try really hard to think of more to contribute, but I feel hard-pressed.

Oh yeah, I had almost forgotten about the gun belt and backpack! I like the idea of special cartridges. The backpack brought a jetpack to mind at first, but I like what you guys have come up with. After all, he's got that chair to fly through space on, hell, maybe he just keeps stuff in there. I'm leaning toward power source though, but the cool thing about this line of thinking is that it's really all three, or more.

I said it earlier, but this is the kind of thread we need more around here. We spend so much time talking about getting the figures, displaying the figures, and of course the crap that Matty throws at us in between, but this is the heart of MOTU: Letting one's imagination run free.

So, now that things are cooking, I'll toss another scraps into the pot: The circles around Teela's waist: Does she carry things in there? Same thing goes for the front of He-Ro / Zodak and Skelly's loincloths, Is it just me or does it look like it could be a compartment? The 200X He-Man had a big pouch on the front of his (no giggles please, unless you are a silly person - Uncle Monty P.), so I could see that being the case. Also, the eyepieces on Tri-Klops' visorless head, do you think that is to portray a pre-visor T.E. Scope as his first technological adaptation to blindness, or (most likely) just the hardware necessary to use his visor?

Talk amongst yourselves. Here, I'll give you a topic: Rio Blast was neither a Rio or a Blast. Discuss...

Loved Rio Blast, I shall not appologize.

Obvious Wrist lazer is Obvious, hehehe, for Duncan.
    Controls on chest control his com unit, and the assisted breathing, in the mouth cover. Also the shape of the cover, if he lowerd his head, would give him much mask effect for shrapnel, ect. Also the openness of it gave him better head movement (why not) and though it is much open, the added oxigen, ect works in much the same way of those focused air jets in Airplanes. It's REAL open and far from you, but it helps alot without being restrictive.

Thought the things on his helmet were some sort of transeviers, recievers. Amp up his com connections, like he was the battle commander and had to have the easiest time communicating with the castle/home base, and frontlinesman.

As for Beastman hand thing. Yeah, teeth on a string. On Stratos? Well, officially I'd say just incedental as it was Beastman's hand but....to be more inventive if only just: Part of the decoration on his Gloves. As he wore "socks" I belive he could be wearing gloves. And the decoration was just a bit of airstreaming, like a mini wind foil.

Heroic Warrior
    I always figured that MMA's armor thing worked like a Stormtroopers helmet. when sensors on his helmet or armor detected something (Gas, lack of oxygen) the armor would extend a bit more then magneticly seal to the armor.

As far as the Beast man spikes on Beast-man I figures the were spiked knuckles on Stratos they could shoot lasers (Ala the mini comic)

What I always wondered about was the coin changer on Zodac's armor (the 3 discs on the botom of the armor) we used to use Zodac as the tax & toll collector of Eternia because of this. (in fact a when we used to play one of my freinds said he tought Zodac was a banker)

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    This thread is one of the best! Simply amazing
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Okay! Trying to catch up:

There's the helmets asked about earlier. Can't say much for Zodac's...never thought about it. Certainly could be some sort of hearing amplification device, to make him seem more godlike in his powers. You know, it allows him to hear much, much more than anyone else, making him seem omniscient.

As for MAA's helmet...well, I never thought about that one either! It's certainly a valid point, though. I mean, why have a standard protective helmet with so much circuitry? Seems like brainwave technology wouldn't need to be visible outside the helmet, so it makes me think that they might be sensors. Perhaps weather sensors, which relays to the suit and warns him about dangerous conditions?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Great Thread Idea!

Hmmmm....

Okay...

MMA....his "arm laser" is definetly a tactical weapon in my eyes. The "Communicator button" I can totally go with. The "Air breathing apparatus unit" I can see working. See how far it comes up on MMAs face. Maybe there is a glass/plastic shield or some sort of force field that comes up or out of the mask or helmet that connects so he can breath when the air is bad? Not sure but I like the idea.

Beastman...those claws....just that....claws for fighting.

Zodac/k...helmet...I have no idea. Bullet Belt...good ideas of them being different kind of bullets. I like that. Backpack....looks like something to help maintain flight to me. That's all.
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Okay! Trying to catch up:

There's the helmets asked about earlier. Can't say much for Zodac's...never thought about it. Certainly could be some sort of hearing amplification device, to make him seem more godlike in his powers. You know, it allows him to hear much, much more than anyone else, making him seem omniscient.

As for MAA's helmet...well, I never thought about that one either! It's certainly a valid point, though. I mean, why have a standard protective helmet with so much circuitry? Seems like brainwave technology wouldn't need to be visible outside the helmet, so it makes me think that they might be sensors. Perhaps weather sensors, which relays to the suit and warns him about dangerous conditions?
    Perhaps those things on Zodac's helmet are catches that release the helmet when he wants to remove it. If it is a space helmet, it makes sense that he can't just pull it off - it needs to be pretty secure if it is going to help him.

Perhaps Man-At-Arms does have some kind of controls in his helmet for some sort of weapons or machines, either on his person or ones that he has made. It does seem likely. Perhaps it is the antenna array of a communication device - not too many cell towers on Eternia after the Great War, you know.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Perhaps Man-At-Arms does have some kind of controls in his helmet for some sort of weapons or machines, either on his person or ones that he has made. It does seem likely. Perhaps it is the antenna array of a communication device - not too many cell towers on Eternia after the Great War, you know.
    Oh, good point! The most practical yet. If he does have a comm system, he'll need some sorta antenna, so that makes sense! Kinda sucks, though, if he takes a fall and the helmet makes it's use as a regular helmet. One good crack on the noggin and communications are out!

On Zodac/k's helmet those ear looking things...

It's quite a thick helmet and I figured it'd be hard to hear stuff so I just figured those were audio sensors so he could hear normally or maybe a bit better. Thinking on it some more they would probably be tied in to a HUD to help him determine the locations of sounds. Maybe the buttons help him adjust sensitivity or turn on/off features that allow him to "hear" things above/below normal hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Hello, and welcome to what I'm gona try to pass off as a discussion thread. Through the years I’m sure you’ve noticed many tiny details on MotU figures new and old. Now, with the MotUC line, we are able to see some of those details either enhanced or brought out in ways that make you look at them and say: “Just what IS that thing?” more so then ever! Some you can probably name off right here and now!

That’s only part of the point for this thread however. I would like to get some nice clear pics in here of the parts in question, but what I’m looking for is this: Lets take a look at those crazy details and either find an explanation in the mythos OR come on in and explain what you’ve always thought it was! Heck, if you’ve never noticed it before, then make up what you think it is on the spot! Even if the detail has a full official explanation, why not give your thoughts on what you use it for?

Now I want to start this off with a few real good ones from just one guy: Man-At-Arms.

The arm laser!

The armor with the breather thingy with 1.) Some sorta comm system and 2.) possibly buttons to start the breather?

And the inside of his mask for reference to the breathing unit.

Some of these things are new, for instance, the arm laser was on some old concept art (but not on the original figure, to my knowledge), and MAA is clearly shooting lasers from his arms in the opening to the Filmation toon. What is it, or what do you use it for?

Next, the details on MAA's armor are classic to the core. They've mostly been brought out from the original (though I lost that years ago so we gotta use the .org for reference) and there are many little things on there to figure out. The big part, though, is the breathing unit. Would a half mask be useful? Maybe there are other parts that make it air tight that we don't see?

I'm probably one of the people here with the least amount of real information, so I'll let this thread fill up a bit before adding my own ideas. Like I said though, lets see what we have! Solid offical info? Cool! Made up stuff? Also cool! Find any way you can to answer any questions about any odd details on any of the MotUC figures in: What IS that Thing?
    I don`t know if anyone else has noticed over the years but the original Man at Arms figures had the arm cannon all along. It may niot be so obvious that it`s a cannon but it`s there. Take a look at your vintage MAA and tell me it`s not there. There was no seperate ring that goes to the wrist as see on on the 8 back and the Classics fig, but it`s there, so this is nothing new it was just very exagerated in 200X.
    Last edited by adam03; January 20, 2010 at 01:50pm.

The possibilities for MAA helm also work for Zodac.

If his back-pack is some sort of plug-in for his flying chair (so he can control it by thought through his nervous-system/spinal column), you'd think his helmet would include tech allowing him to navigate, communicate and perceive in space - hence the stuff around his ears and eyes.

His goggles might lend different types of vision (night-vision, infra-red, etc.) and protect from bright light.

His "ears" could also be part comm-link/antenna that could send/receive signals using weird science (something quantum to beat the light-speed barrier) or magical (who knows how magic can augment tech.?)

Of course, this would make his helmet better than Tri-Klops visor, which has always had more "show-time" and focus than any of Zodac's tech... Then again, he is a powerful being, with little known about him. Perhaps he is linked to some sort of distant computer (library), or perhaps the design intentionally imitates the look of alien beings (to honour or imitate them) who he is in cohoots with?

As for the "bullet belt" (or backpack), perhaps these are actually vials (or storage vessel) in which he collects samples/data so he can return to his Dias/Throne thingy, do some crypto-scientific analysis and pass judgement.... (after all, he is a Cosmic Enforcer, so who/what law is he enforcing and how does he do it?)

(Personally, i love Zodac in all his glorious ambiguity & think he looks totally cool, regardless of what his fancy tech might do.)
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; January 20, 2010 at 05:50pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Very cool thread - I've definitely enjoyed reading through all of the posts.

I don't have a lot to add at this point, but I will say that MAA used his arm laser as a weapon in the original dc comics mini-series if I am remembering correctly. I may have to try and dig them out...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I don`t know if anyone else has noticed over the years but the original Man at Arms figures had the arm cannon all along. It may niot be so obvious that it`s a cannon but it`s there. Take a look at your vintage MAA and tell me it`s not there. There was no seperate ring that goes to the wrist as see on on the 8 back and the Classics fig, but it`s there, so this is nothing new it was just very exagerated in 200X.

Eh...I'm not seeing it. I suppose you could move the armor down over his hand and imagine that the cuff shoots, but I wouldn't have assumed that the armor was a cannon back in the day.

If any of MAAs armour includes extras (comm. links, buttons, weapons) that could get hit (because they are on/part of the armour) we might assume that these features are concealable (like the arm-cannon) - thus they would "hide" by retracting into the armour to avoid damages.

MAA - as we see him - is "showing off" all of his armour's features...?

Can same the same for other characters.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    If any of MAAs armour includes extras (comm. links, buttons, weapons) that could get hit (because they are on/part of the armour) we might assume that these features are concealable (like the arm-cannon) - thus they would "hide" by retracting into the armour to avoid damages.

MAA - as we see him - is "showing off" all of his armour's features...?

Can same the same for other characters.
    Well, we can assume that, yes! It makes sense to have hidden features, but I'm going off of the fact that he's got a tank smack in the middle of his chest. I have to assume that's important, and if that wasn't easily hidden in the back, then I imagine he (or the original creators of the armor) didn't go through too much trouble to hide the rest of the stuff, either.

Granted, when I was a kid, I imagined all sorts of stuff that could pop out of any sort of space that looked like it might house something! I know my Iron Man figures had all kinds of imaginary junk that could pop out of the armor (and multiple beams and weapons that shot out of the same places...)

New Stuff (I was the last poster, so I had to delete and repost to get new stuff on here):

So, next on the chopping block:

Trap-Jaw's gun! Now, of course, many of our topics so far are covering things that are odd or just tiny details that don't have a clear purpose. This is a gun, plain and simple. However, since this thread not only talks about cannon stuff, but, what you thought it was when you were little: What do you think his gun does (or always thought that it did)?

I'll start: It's obvious that it has the standard "laser gun" flair to it. Rings around the long, thin barrel, little doodad under the barrel that looks like a lightining rod, scope, etc. The sides now have texture as well, and look like vents! Otherwise, the main unit is just a box.

I think, back in the day, I used it as an all purpose "blaster." Ya know; it shot "energy" (which means: whatever wasn't bullets). Now it really ramps up the laser idea. The thin barrel and hole at the end make it so that you don't think any big blasts will be coming out of that (unlike the 200X gun). A laser just seems kinda...boring, though. I guess it doesn't have to be a high powered laser, but usually any sort of laser that is going to be doing damage is a cutting laser, and that's way too powerful to make things interesting (I mean, if Trap-Jaw could waltz on to the battlefield and cut everyone apart with a laser, then where's the fight?)

Granted, it could be a "heat ray" or whatever that means. Just a heated blast and maybe has an explosive ending to make things more flashy. On the other hand, there's the little doodad under the barrel...maybe it's an EMP gun of some sort? It'll certainly be uncomfortable to be shot with (though not fatal if he only gets ya once) and he has the possibility of shutting down machinery.

Finally, I want to take a look at the scope: somehow, I don't see him holding that close to his eye. To me, it seems like a targeting sensor that the gun alone uses. However, if anyone has any ideas that goes beyond it just being a scope, I'd like to hear it!

Heck, I wana hear whatever you got! So come on in: the rules are the same. If you ever had ideas for what these obscure little details were, then give us what you got. The other items earlier in the thread are, of course, still open for debate!

Heroic Warrior
    As far as Trap-Jaws gun we used to pretend that it was like a Stormtroopers gun. It could fire a normal laser blast or a stun blast. Also we used some of the Micronaut Alien’s weapons with him too.
    The Knobs on Zodac’s helmet could be various controls used for everything from breathing (seals the helmet), also vision control or even a language decoder so he can understand all known races.
    I know this is not MOUTC but we used to pretend that Jitsu’s hand held throwing stars in the wrist part.
    We also used to pretend the “GEM” in Skeletor’s armor could shoot energy beams.

Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    As far as Trap-Jaws gun we used to pretend that it was like a Stormtroopers gun. It could fire a normal laser blast or a stun blast. Also we used some of the Micronaut Alien’s weapons with him too.
    Aw, I never had many things to plug into his arm! I think I shoved some swords in there, but I didn't have any real arm attachments like with Micronauts.

The Knobs on Zodac’s helmet could be various controls used for everything from breathing (seals the helmet), also vision control or even a language decoder so he can understand all known races.
    Oh, makes sense! Good point; he should be able to translate everyone, anywhere.

I know this is not MOUTC but we used to pretend that Jitsu’s hand held throwing stars in the wrist part.
    No problem! I know they'll get to Jitsu somewhere down the line, and his arm will probably make it into this thread then.

We also used to pretend the “GEM” in Skeletor’s armor could shoot energy beams.
    Ah, now that is classic! If there was some sort of detail like that, you KNOW it was shooting beams! Amazingly enough, I don't think I ever did that with Skeletor, but plenty of my toys had little details like that, and you better believe that I had all sorts of blasts 'n beams firing from those.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Ok since the box of the gun looks like a kind of transformer or condensor it has to bee a energy weapon. Maybe a electric blast weapon and the little Ball at the underside is a deflector. Obove the gun could be a laser pointer.
    In my imagination its a very primitive weapon that needs to load up a second before you can fire. The ray explosively shoots and is not very precise, so the laser pointer is a little useless and its better that Trap Jaw supports it with his other hand. After a few shoots the gun needs to cool down, so Trap Jaw has to use his other Weapons instead.