Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What IS that Thing? (Discussions about unknown MOTU and POP items)

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I don't know if his eyeball head needs a lid. We are assuming, as egotistical humans are wont to do, that his eye is just like ours, only larger. It may look like a giant human eye, but it maybe be made of much tougher and less sensitive material. The white part could be akin to shark skin.

Definitely think the armor could house the giant eyelid thing though.
    Oh, good point! That would explain the lack of visible veins in the eye. Could very well be a tough hide. I have to imagine, though, that the iris and pupil have to be somewhat sensitive...unless that's a hard, plastic-like organic substance.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    [B]
    Finally: The chest armor. I have to imagine that the thing on the front is how he speaks. It really looks like a speaker, to me. Since he talks through a series of blinks, and he doesn't have an eyelid, then that means he's mute to everyone - even his own species! So that thing on the front produces the computerized voice for him, making him creepier than he already is.

So that's my take: what else have ya'll got?
    I got to say I think you are correct as far as the voice thing I picture he would sound a lot like a member of the techno guild from Star Wars.

Also think about the armor Does it enhance his strength like Iron Mans I know Back in the day we thought it could do thinks like fly & basically was like Iron Man's armor.

Yes! Optikk will thus forth always sound like Wat Tambor to me!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

i love the "Speaker" idea for his armor...

he actually sounds that way in one of the earliest episodes of the NA series... Skeletor asks him something and it sounds as though he's speaking through a mega-phone or something.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    It occurred to me a few days ago, on receiving my TRU Skeletor, that Ive always wondered what exactly the 'box' is on his belt, On the Vintage figure it looked like a Rams head -Havoc Head?

but on the MOTUC Version its just a box shape? Maybe its where he keeps his Bus fare or breath mints!
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Well, lets take a look! I'd love to post the original with it as well, but that's probably one of the first things I lost back in the day.

Anyway, I'm going with mint box!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Oh, good point! That would explain the lack of visible veins in the eye. Could very well be a tough hide. I have to imagine, though, that the iris and pupil have to be somewhat sensitive...unless that's a hard, plastic-like organic substance.
    If you look closely, there are some circuitry details at the edge of his iris. While his eye/head may look organic at first, I'd say it's entirely mechanical.

Bang your head!!!
    Im going to say thats where he keeps a tow cable... Like a Jeep ...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Well, lets take a look! I'd love to post the original with it as well, but that's probably one of the first things I lost back in the day.

On the original figure and Mark Taylors concept it was the head of an Hawk or eagle. The Vintage Cardback and the MotUC Skeli got the Mintbox!

That's Skeletor's big buckle to compensate the lack of something... a face.
    Sometimes a Belt Buckle is just EVIL Bling...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    I just checked out my original Skeletor, and the little wedge on the front of his belt actually looks like a bird's face if you squint. I'm kind of surprised that this detail wasn't more fully realized on the classics figure. As it is, I don't have any idea what it might be: How about a sharpening stone for edged weapons, taking into account that his belt looks like it could either be some type of gladiatorial armor or some ceremonial armor used for sacrifices, and the stone is used for sharpening the ceremonial dagger?

As for Man-at- Arms, I've always assumed that his oxygen tank provided extra air during combat. Try tilting his head froward so that the front edge of his helmet sits flush with his face shield. It actually looks like he could intentionally do this in close quarters to protect his face, leaving only a narrow slit for his eyes, and allowing the oxygen to pump in and give him the ability to retain normal breathing.

Here's a question: Why on Eternia would Trapjaw's helmet have the ring on it for a rope? In reality, wouldn't this be likely to snap his neck? Any thought's on where this detail might come from?
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    Im going to say thats where he keeps a tow cable... Like a Jeep ...
    hehehe! yeah well that would save him the long walk up Snake mountain!
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior
    Hey lay off his man purse...

maybe its where he keeps his batteries.

It COULD be where he kept the vial of acid with which he wanted to disfigure Randor.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Here's a question: Why on Eternia would Trapjaw's helmet have the ring on it for a rope? In reality, wouldn't this be likely to snap his neck? Any thought's on where this detail might come from?
    I thought that was a funny action feature as well. I had never seen the commercial when I was little, so I never even thought about the ring beyond how awesome it was to chew on (apparently). Of course, they show him using it in the comic too, but I don't remember that either. One way or another, when I DID find out about the use for the ring, I was surprised! I mean, you've got a crazy sharp-toothed jaw, a robotic arm with attachments, and an interesting eye-catching color scheme. I wonder who thought that those things weren't enough?

Speaking of things attached to your head: I remember this book that detailed crazy weapons throughout the ages. One of them was an "observation" cannon. It stands straight up with a ball on the end of the barrel. A person sits on the ball, the cannon fires, the dude is launched up with the ball and, as if there weren't enough problems with that parts....he floats down with a parachute attached to his helmet. (and, of course, he's got a telescope so he can "observe" on his way down). Same basic deal between this guy and Trap-Jaw: broken neck.

it's the garage door opener for Snake Mt. Beast man bought it for him last "Bosses Day" so when he comes home in the Collector after a hard day of trying to conquer Eternia he doesn't have to get out and open the door manually. It's the little things that matter.... even to an evil lord of destruction.

back on Optikk, I'm sure we must have wondered the function of the dial on his back. I know what it did in the NA toy. Now what's it's function in MOTUC?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Ya know, I was thinking of mentioning that, but I left it alone due to it's original use. But hey, why not?

So, competely ignoring it's original use, what can you people imagine that dail would be for in terms of the armor?

Best I can come up with is some sort of moving mechanism that looks cool on mechanical armor. However, if it was important, you could just shoot 'em there and I'm sure that would mess something up. Then again, he already has visible wires, so you'd think those would be important too.

Maybe it's where Flogg has to wind up Optikk's mechanical body, akin to Tick-Tock of the Emerald City armed forces...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Heroic Warrior
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Alexx1083/0%20toys%200/Skeletorsmintbox.jpg

That's clearly a hyper-Anime detail!

It's that time again! If you're unfamiliar with the thread, the first page has all the info, but here's the basics - you can pass off any of these things as "just accessories" but this thread is for either finding out what it is cannon wise, making up your own ideas, or giving your ideas from when you were a kid. Have fun!

Anyway, the technological guys always have some confusing stuff, and nothing is more technological than a robot! So here's Roboto's accessories on the chopping block:

Pretty cut and dry when you compare it to other stuff. The claw is obviously a claw (though, since he has a normal hand, now, you could argue that it could be a "shock" claw). The real interesting parts are the unique axe and double barrel cannon.

- The axe interests me the most, because it's such a unique design. I suppose it has a classic halberd head (sorta), but there's also the part in the middle that extends out. Since MAA build this guy, I have to assume he'd build him to not only battle, but help out as well. With that in mind, I think the axe is a dual cutting tool: it has the sharp blades for classic style cutting, and the middle peice extending from the middle could be a welder or an energy-based cutter. I mostly think this because if MAA were going to create a simple axe, I doubt it would look so...techno. Either the middle part does something, or the axe could perhaps vibrate.

- The blaster is also pretty simple; basically just a future gun. You can assume it probably has more firepower than the standard hand-held rifles or even Trap-Jaw's gun, mostly from the size of it and the formidable size of Roboto (classically). He can probably handle a weapon with more kick. Granted, the size could just be to house the dual guns in one cannon. Either way, I haven't thought much past "a big 'ol blast" in terms of what it fires. Now, the part extending from the bottom...what could that be? A handle to lessen the kick and increase accuracy, or perhaps a battery pack?

Finally, though the answer is probably the simplest here, I want to look at his head:

I mean, yes, he needs to talk. We can assume that the hole is "just where the talking comes from." On the other hand....man that's a big hole! Couldn't there just be a speaker? On top of that, MAA felt the need to make a "jaw" of sorts that moves up and down while he "talks." I'm wondering if maybe the hole is more than just a speaker? The "jaw" certainly doesn't need to move for him to talk, but it may need to open if that hole were used for something. Maybe he's like a "Mr. Fusion" from back to the future? Shove in the trash and watch 'em go!

Anyway, just some thoughts to get things started. What do you folks think?

Good ideas on the weapons, which are otherwise straightforward.

I don't see Roboto as MAAs invention (why the heck doesn't he just keep making more!!?) but something he discovered & - after many years of crude & superstitous tinkering - accidentally revived.

No-one knows the full extent of what Roboto is capable of, or his original purpose - including Roboto (this lends the character more mystery & potential).

The gap ("mouth") in his head is a vent for heat. All of that electronic & mechanical movement will generate lots of heat & it isn't going to get out through that armoured body. Roboto needs an exhaust that is more elegant than a pipe coming out of his butt.

Plus, I like the idea of Roboto's head becoming wreathed in steamy "breath" as he swings into action - nice visual.

(& BTW Alexx, this is still one of the best threads out here.)
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I don't see Roboto as MAAs invention (why the heck doesn't he just keep making more!!?) but something he discovered & - after many years of crude & superstitous tinkering - accidentally revived.

No-one knows the full extent of what Roboto is capable of, or his original purpose - including Roboto (this lends the character more mystery & potential).
    Me too! I was using the standard cannon for the explaination of the weapons. Personally, I have it that MAA found the torso, a skeletal head, and remnants of arms and legs. MAA filled in the rest, which explains why he doesn't appear to match up perfectly. Just as you said, though, I have the same idea of no one knowing what Roboto is really capable of. You're right: I love the mystery it adds!

The gap ("mouth") in his head is a vent for heat. All of that electronic & mechanical movement will generate lots of heat & it isn't going to get out through that armoured body. Roboto needs an exhaust that is more elegant than a pipe coming out of his butt.

Plus, I like the idea of Roboto's head becoming wreathed in steamy "breath" as he swings into action - nice visual.
    VERY cool! I like that a lot. Much better than the ideas I was throwing around. Reminds me of Robo-Ky from the Guilty Gear fighting games; he has a move to expel heat and he blows out a big blast of steam from this thing that opens on his chest (though I used to think it was from his mouth).

(& BTW Alexx, this is still one of the best threads out here.)
    Thanks! I'm glad you're having fun with it!

Me too! I was using the standard cannon for the explaination of the weapons. Personally, I have it that MAA found the torso, a skeletal head, and remnants of arms and legs. MAA filled in the rest, which explains why he doesn't appear to match up perfectly. Just as you said, though, I have the same idea of no one knowing what Roboto is really capable of. You're right: I love the mystery it adds!
    Yes - you could throw something into a plot where a situation/person/thing activates some unknown aspect of Roboto's planning, with unpredictable results - perhaps an upgrade or some discovery partly-explaining why he was built. (The Roboto minicomic makes me want to puke.)

VERY cool! I like that a lot.... a move to expel heat and he blows out a big blast of steam...
    Yes, it'd make sense for a combat robot to employ whatever it could to attack. A controllable jet of steam would be a good surprise attack.

Plus, this would explain the mouth-guard - perhaps it modifies how the steam comes out. It would also protect the exhaust-mouth from being blocked (& thus Roboto over-heating).

The whole steam & cogs theme for Roboto makes him a bit steam-punk, which I also like...

I'll also weigh-in on Skeletor's fancy belt-buckle:

If it has a practical use beyond keeping his pants up, I'd think it's box-like shape & flap lend toward it being a pouch of sorts - good for storing vials of acid or components used in magical spells.

Skeletor is not usually depicted as needing them, but occasionally he does (I'm thinking of the burning brazier as he tried to invoke the "powers of darkness" to free the demon Morcar).
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; October 20, 2010 at 03:47pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    I love the idea that Roboto is some ancient Eternian robot which Man At Arms found and has tinkered with for years until something finally clicked into place. It does add a nice aura of mystery to him. His gears, heart, and head look much more ancient and low-tech than his weapons, so it is possible that MAA might have outfitted him with some gear to make him more useful.

What is the deal with the heart anyway? Did Roboto perhaps function as an artificial body for some Eternian soul in the past? Was there a race who learned to put their consciousness into mechanical bodies (kind of like the Daleks, although they do have organic components).
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"