Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What IS that Thing? (Discussions about unknown MOTU and POP items)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    What is the deal with the heart anyway? Did Roboto perhaps function as an artificial body for some Eternian soul in the past? Was there a race who learned to put their consciousness into mechanical bodies (kind of like the Daleks, although they do have organic components).

Crazy comic.

How exactly does Man at Arms give one the power to be invincible?

This comic does call Roboto's axe a laser axe, so that perhaps implies the tip is a laser weapon of some kind.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Ugh to the plot. Ugh to the art.

Worst. Minicomic. Ever.

His gears, heart, and head look much more ancient and low-tech than his weapons, so it is possible that MAA might have outfitted him with some gear to make him more useful.
    Maybe the hi-tech stuff is the ancient tech & the cogs & wheels stuff is MAA's way of fixing what he can?
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; October 20, 2010 at 04:49pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Ugh to the plot. Ugh to the art.

Worst. Minicomic. Ever.
    No way. You need to read "Leech - The Master Of Power Suction Unleashed". Now that minicomic truly is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Yes - you could throw something into a plot where a situation/person/thing activates some unknown aspect of Roboto's planning, with unpredictable results - perhaps an upgrade or some discovery partly-explaining why he was built. (The Roboto minicomic makes me want to puke.)
    That's why I hope they do another version with some 200X upgrades like a new head, weapons, and a chestplate (or something, anyway). I like the idea of either upgrades, or finding more ancient stuff that may have gone with him. My idea is that he was, at one point in the past, mass produced. He would be the last of his kind (with the possibility of Faker being made of the skeletal remains of a related version; depends on how much I want to connect the robots in this series). He may even have contributed to whatever ruined the technological past (since I kinda follow the old original mini comics).

Yes, it'd make sense for a combat robot to employ whatever it could to attack. A controllable jet of steam would be a good surprise attack.

Plus, this would explain the mouth-guard - perhaps it modifies how the steam comes out. It would also protect the exhaust-mouth from being blocked (& thus Roboto over-heating).

The whole steam & cogs theme for Roboto makes him a bit steam-punk, which I also like...
    Also very cool! The steam could flow out through the grate most of the time, with the open-jaw blast for combat purposes. I'm also a fan of the steam-punk genre, so the gears have always been my favorite part of him.

Crazy comic.

How exactly does Man at Arms give one the power to be invincible?

This comic does call Roboto's axe a laser axe, so that perhaps implies the tip is a laser weapon of some kind.
    MAA is god, of course! Seriously though, I like to take the "invincible" idea and apply it to the torso, which I imagine is the only part that MAA found intact (other than some minor parts like the head without it's shell and some reminants of the legs and arms). Bascially, it's made of some unknown material that has yet to be damaged by anything they've got (or anything Skeletor has). Doesn't mean it's invincible, but it's dang tough. Also means that his limbs are always being upgraded and repaired, adding another thing I love about Roboto: the random colors 'n such! I suppose it's not "random", but it is an interesting assortment. I just like the idea of Roboto being the one that jumps out front and takes the brunt of the assault if need be.

I guess that also reveals that I think the gears 'n such are not MAA's doing, though I'm undecided on the heart item. Either ancient, or MAA made.

Oh yeah, as for the Axe: I was thinking originally that it looked like a gun and an axe, but that didn't seem fun, since he already had a separate gun as well. I thought the cutting torch might make him a weapon and a tool all in one.
    Last edited by Alexx; October 20, 2010 at 05:19pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    When you get to the Sword of Power/He, I have some ideas on the handle prongs (which are called "quillions" for those of you who dig Renaissance sword terminology).

Webstor's gun and the teeth on She-Ra's new "axe" would make for some great speculation, too.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Sword-of-Grayskull View Post
    When you get to the Sword of Power/He, I have some ideas on the handle prongs (which are called "quillions" for those of you who dig Renaissance sword terminology).

Webstor's gun and the teeth on She-Ra's new "axe" would make for some great speculation, too.
    Ya know, I never even thought about doing stuff like that! I was mostly thinking of the obscure technological elements usually added for detail. I can get behind the idea of the rifle, since it'll be cool to imagine what kinda power it has, but He-Man's sword? I don't think we need a picture of it; if you've got some ideas, lets hear them! I haven't the slightest idea what you could come up with for the (i'ma use the new word you've taught me) quillions.

As for She-Ra's axe...well, only thing I thought of was a classic "sword breaker", if I'm using that right. The prongs would catch the blade, and then some movement of the wrist would snap it.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Roboto's thingies:

His Mouth: Maybe that's where he can shoot EMPs. (His most important systems seem to be operated mechanical instead of electronic. Teh non-metallic casing might repel EMPs)

His Weapons: The claw is obvious.
    The Laser is Obvious too!
    The Axe: Here I'm a bit stumped. It doesn't look practical as a Weapon Water jet cutter with cool looking fins?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Ya know, I never even thought about doing stuff like that! I was mostly thinking of the obscure technological elements usually added for detail. I can get behind the idea of the rifle, since it'll be cool to imagine what kinda power it has, but He-Man's sword? I don't think we need a picture of it; if you've got some ideas, lets hear them! I haven't the slightest idea what you could come up with for the (i'ma use the new word you've taught me) quillions.

As for She-Ra's axe...well, only thing I thought of was a classic "sword breaker", if I'm using that right. The prongs would catch the blade, and then some movement of the wrist would snap it.
    Your idea for She-Ra's axe is actually a similar concept I have for the Power Sword's quillions. There's a techinque in Northern Shaolin and Taiji swordsmanship in which you "stir" or "wrap" the blade to quickly deflect an opponent's blade and then land a cut to the wrist. He-Man could use a similar stirring motion with the Power Sword, but the curved space in between the Power Sword's blade and quillion would actually catch and trap the opponent's blade during the deflection. With the opponent's blade captured and stuck in the loop, He-Man would pull the sword out of his opponent's hand with one circular motion. Thus He-Man could capture and disarm his opponent with the stirring technique and the very special quillion design of the Power Sword.

I've always thought of Webstor's rifle as primarily a targeting device for aiming his webs and grappling hook, kinda like a scope and laser sight. She-Ra's axe, though, I have no clue how to use.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    what a great thread Alexx

And, we're back! On the menu today: Buzz-Off's classic wings!

Now that Buzz-Off is based on the original again, we've got his crazy old bionic wings! I didn't think about it when they made the 200X version. Made sense to increase the bug qualities, and honestly, I don't disagree with it. However, I still loved the robo-wings back in the day, and I really like seeing them come back. That raises questions about Buzz-Off, though.

What IS Buzz-Off? He's obviously a bug man...sorta. The original was just in scale with the rest of the guys, and the rest of the guys were big and muscular. That doesn't change the fact that he's got robotic wings, though! Obviously this guy either needs robo-wings to help him since he's not born with any, or for some reason his natural wings are damaged and need the cybernetics to work. OR...maybe his race used to fly and all that, but whatever happened in the past kinda ruined thier abilities, making them all big and muscular so that they all need the cybernetics to get them back in the air again.

As always, I'm just throwing stuff out there. So, whatdoya think?

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    do you think that we'll ever get a repaint of Roboto like that?
    Does Galactus fart?

WARNING BULLCRAP SCIENCE CONTENT... not real science...
    maybe the cyberparts help store/channel the energy needed for the blasts fired with the long axe... The wing movement generates the energy which is stored on the electronics which then is transfered through tzztz tzzt... Buzz-Off. (He's the conduit.) to the axe tip.
    (Buzz-Off's Ambrosia diet is what keeps him alive when using this "power".)
    He can release this energy without the axe, but it would be unfocused and weaker.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post

You can count on it...

And I´m waiting for it

As for the wings...

Techno-Organic Virus. Either Buzz-Off himself or an ancestor had it. His wings are thusly more powerful, aiding in his attainment of Kingship alongside the Queen of Andreenos.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

How have I not been reading this thread before? It's fantastic!

Curse you guys for being so clever with the ideas! You're making me want Roboto.

Buzz Off's modern wings do a much better job of looking like organic wings with extra stuff grafted on; the vintage version looks a lot more like pure tech to me. That suggests to me that he could fly fine without the tech, so it needs some kind of other purpose. Collecting and channeling (friction?) energy from his flight works for me, plus, if it works as DO4M suggests, that gives Buzz a much-needed distance weapon to use while flying. Pure gold, Jerry!

Or, just to offer an alternative, maybe the wing circuitry works with his helmet somehow to aid in communications. It sorta looks like radio/communications components. Man At Arms could use his previously-suggested transistor helmet radio to get sky scouting reports from Buzz Off.

This thread really worked out better than I hoped! You guys always come up with really interesting ideas for the various bits of technology in the figures.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    WARNING BULLCRAP SCIENCE CONTENT... not real science...
    maybe the cyberparts help store/channel the energy needed for the blasts fired with the long axe... The wing movement generates the energy which is stored on the electronics which then is transfered through tzztz tzzt... Buzz-Off. (He's the conduit.) to the axe tip.
    (Buzz-Off's Ambrosia diet is what keeps him alive when using this "power".)
    He can release this energy without the axe, but it would be unfocused and weaker.
    Ahhh...good point! Very good point. An energy collector through friction to fire weapons; I also forgot the axe shot off energy in the 200X toon, didn't it? Could also be a vibro-axe as well, for extra cutting power. Heck, who knows what else he could power with the wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    As for the wings...

Techno-Organic Virus. Either Buzz-Off himself or an ancestor had it. His wings are thusly more powerful, aiding in his attainment of Kingship alongside the Queen of Andreenos.
    Hmmm...interesting. So perhaps he is passing down a limited version of the virus through his family? Either way, the techno-organic virus is one of my favorite things they've made up in the new bios, and it explains a lot of the random organic machinery through the MotU history. Makes sense that it would have a presence in various places.

Quote Originally Posted by Heli88 View Post
    How have I not been reading this thread before? It's fantastic!

Curse you guys for being so clever with the ideas! You're making me want Roboto.

Buzz Off's modern wings do a much better job of looking like organic wings with extra stuff grafted on; the vintage version looks a lot more like pure tech to me. That suggests to me that he could fly fine without the tech, so it needs some kind of other purpose. Collecting and channeling (friction?) energy from his flight works for me, plus, if it works as DO4M suggests, that gives Buzz a much-needed distance weapon to use while flying. Pure gold, Jerry!

Or, just to offer an alternative, maybe the wing circuitry works with his helmet somehow to aid in communications. It sorta looks like radio/communications components. Man At Arms could use his previously-suggested transistor helmet radio to get sky scouting reports from Buzz Off.
    Hey, I remember your name and avatar. Don't you comment in my reviews on Joebattlelines? I didn't know you were over here, too! Or I did and completely forgot...

Anyway: I like the idea that it adds in communications. In fact, that works in tandem with the energy collector, I think. There are multiple circuits in the wings; they could perform multiple tasks. He stores energy for weapons, but also acts as a long range antenna for MAA's and other communication devices. He is the spy in the sky, after all!

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    If you look at the lines on Man-At-Arm's helmet, especially the one right on the top and in the middle, if you push his head all the way down it matches up with the center line on the respirator. Maybe they can lock up and then some sort of visor drops out of the helmet to create a seal?

Also, when it comes to Buzz-Off, what's to say all the side races on Eternia don't originate from Humans, humans who were modified in some way to survive in different climates and situations on a genetic level? After years and years and years of time spent on Eternia they developed different attributes for survival? Maybe Buzz-Off, and in turn the entire Adreenid race don't have a techno organic marker in their DNA that grows wings for them because they couldn't naturally?
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    Toys R 'Us if the line doesn't get canceled with the $34.99 Stratos and Mer-Man packs.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Maybe it's where Flogg has to wind up Optikk's mechanical body, akin to Tick-Tock of the Emerald City armed forces...
    me likey that creepy movie!! me likey your creepy idea....

Quote Originally Posted by MldMnrdReporter View Post
    If you look at the lines on Man-At-Arm's helmet, especially the one right on the top and in the middle, if you push his head all the way down it matches up with the center line on the respirator. Maybe they can lock up and then some sort of visor drops out of the helmet to create a seal?
    Ah, good point! I thought of some sort of seal, but I didn't notice that the lines match up.

Also, when it comes to Buzz-Off, what's to say all the side races on Eternia don't originate from Humans, humans who were modified in some way to survive in different climates and situations on a genetic level? After years and years and years of time spent on Eternia they developed different attributes for survival? Maybe Buzz-Off, and in turn the entire Adreenid race don't have a techno organic marker in their DNA that grows wings for them because they couldn't naturally?
    That was my first thought. Many of the monster folk (in the original line) seemed like they were somehow...made that way. They're different races in the present, but who knows what happened in the past? That's what I love about the old mini-comics. Then again, I've always been a fan of the mysterious technological past that was somehow destroyed. MotU just made a dang good one, originally.

Buzz-Off is really a prime example of that. He's obviously got a lot of human in him, and on top of that, his main bug properties are both (possibly) prosthetic: the wings and the helmet. Heck, his normal eyes just seem like giant closed eyes. Perhaps his normal eyes are part of the bug-like DNA, but they could never go all the way, pretty much forming into larger eyes with those green "lids" that you can see through. They would protect the eyes for flight if they could fly. The wings allow the flight, and the helmet provides the bug vision when needed. Who knows?

Speaking of which, I better throw the helmet up too:

I thought it was used for savage She-ra, in the classic line with real hair, she would comb the hair back and then scalp them.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    very interesting thread, so sorry i've missed it 'till now...

btw, regarding buzz-off, the whole concept seems to mean that andreenids have natural insect-like capabilities they tried to upgrade using a little bit of science, just for "higher performances". i mean:
    they can fly, but developed the circuitry on their wings to channel the energy produced by the vibration (a kinda dynamo, more or less);
    they have bug vision, but the lenses on the helmet help improving this ability;
    they have natural "electro-stings" (well, in the minicomics buzzy had them in his pincers), but the pointy sting in their halberd help channelling the energy for greater blasting power and range.
    ...does it work?

The Buzz-Off helmet is part of Lady GaGa's wardrobe. He is just trying to be stylish.

Hey, I remember your name and avatar. Don't you comment in my reviews on Joebattlelines? I didn't know you were over here, too! Or I did and completely forgot...
    Indeed, that is I. You probably haven't noticed me here because I don't really post a lot; I usually just read stuff, but I had to get in on this thread.

I like the idea that the bug eyes on Buzz's helmet are to protect his more-sensitive natural eyes.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall that my vintage Buzz helmet didn't actually cover his eyes, unlike the new version. I always thought that was odd as a kid.