Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What IS that Thing? (Discussions about unknown MOTU and POP items)

Quote Originally Posted by Heli88 View Post
    Indeed, that is I. You probably haven't noticed me here because I don't really post a lot; I usually just read stuff, but I had to get in on this thread.

I like the idea that the bug eyes on Buzz's helmet are to protect his more-sensitive natural eyes.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall that my vintage Buzz helmet didn't actually cover his eyes, unlike the new version. I always thought that was odd as a kid.
    Ah, well then we have more in common in terms of Joes and He-Man: High five!

Anyway, you're correct: the old goggles never really fit right, and I kinda make fun of that in my pics here. Always bothered me, and my original Buzz-Off's eyes are all smudged from having shoved the helmet down so many times to try and cover his eyes.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Internet high five, back atcha!

We need a new thing to dissect. The only thing that springs to mind is the bird armor, but I think it's pretty self-explanatory, right?

I suppose we could debate whether those rockets on their heads are missles or rocket boosters, or spray tanks for mysterious magical clouds. Pretty much any option strikes me as not really beneficial for the bird that has to wear it. Maybe that's why they're funky colors (and formerly huge).

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heli88 View Post
    Internet high five, back atcha!

We need a new thing to dissect. The only thing that springs to mind is the bird armor, but I think it's pretty self-explanatory, right?

I suppose we could debate whether those rockets on their heads are missles or rocket boosters, or spray tanks for mysterious magical clouds. Pretty much any option strikes me as not really beneficial for the bird that has to wear it. Maybe that's why they're funky colors (and formerly huge).
    I know you from Fwoosh. just look at my sig, to see who I am.
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    What IS Buzz-Off? He's obviously a bug man...sorta. The original was just in scale with the rest of the guys, and the rest of the guys were big and muscular. That doesn't change the fact that he's got robotic wings, though! Obviously this guy either needs robo-wings to help him since he's not born with any, or for some reason his natural wings are damaged and need the cybernetics to work. OR...maybe his race used to fly and all that, but whatever happened in the past kinda ruined thier abilities, making them all big and muscular so that they all need the cybernetics to get them back in the air again.

As always, I'm just throwing stuff out there. So, whatdoya think?

I think they are naturally bionic...

I think it might be a result of the Horde's Techno Virus. The techno virus seems to have been a devastating thing for Eternia... it may have affected evolution. We know that the Arachnids and the Andreenids are related... the techno virus may have helped and encouraged the Andreenid mutated genes.

It's just a fun way to work with what Mattel is using in the bios

So, I think in this case, the cyber-netic aspect is bio-cyber-netic... after all, human hearts run on electricity... we're machines in a way.

A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    I know you from Fwoosh. just look at my sig, to see who I am.
    It's like the Ghoulie's Get-Together all up in here!

Yeah; the techno virus idea definitely works. Heck; that could explain a lot of random tech details. And even guys like Mechaneck and Extendar. Their powers could just be results of the techno virus.

And, we're back! On the menu today: Buzz-Off's classic wings!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00/buzznew.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00/buzzold.jpg

Now that Buzz-Off is based on the original again, we've got his crazy old bionic wings! I didn't think about it when they made the 200X version. Made sense to increase the bug qualities, and honestly, I don't disagree with it. However, I still loved the robo-wings back in the day, and I really like seeing them come back. That raises questions about Buzz-Off, though.

What IS Buzz-Off? He's obviously a bug man...sorta. The original was just in scale with the rest of the guys, and the rest of the guys were big and muscular. That doesn't change the fact that he's got robotic wings, though! Obviously this guy either needs robo-wings to help him since he's not born with any, or for some reason his natural wings are damaged and need the cybernetics to work. OR...maybe his race used to fly and all that, but whatever happened in the past kinda ruined thier abilities, making them all big and muscular so that they all need the cybernetics to get them back in the air again.

I always loved the transparent quality of Buzz-Off's wings...this got me thinking. Maybe the wings are actually made of energy! The circuits and such are the framework, but the actual wings are an energy construct, which "buzz" and crackle with power. Hence the name Buzz-Off.
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; December 31, 2010 at 11:09am.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I always loved the transparent quality of Buzz-Off's wings...this got me thinking. Maybe the wings are actually made of energy! The circuits and such are the framework, but the actual wings are an energy construct, which "buzz" and crackle with power. Hence the name Buzz-Off.
    Interesting! So, the circuits could retract into the body. When they come out, like you said, they create the framework and the energy wings form between them. Very cool!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Glad to see others like the Techno-Virus concept as well.

I'm thinking that it was eventually harnessed by Eternians to cure illnesses and injuries in the case of Mekaneck. Perhaps Man-E had something done to him, as he looked like a cyborg of sorts in his mini even before being cursed with the three faces/roles.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    techno-virus.......... sounds like either the Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil paid a visit to Eternia & spread their virus's, or the Borg came along to assimilate everyone.

personally, I'm not fond of Buzz-off having mechanical wings. it's totally lame imo, since he's supposed to be an insect man type thing, so wings should be a natural part of his body like the fur on beastman. I'd prefer the 200x wings myself. but they don't look too bad on the motuc figure i suppose. given the choice i'd go for organic wings for Buzz every time though.
    Same goes for Stratos. bad design imo... he's a birdman, yet the wings aren't a natural part of his body? they're strapped on? and don't birds have talons? what's with the slippers? and why is whiplash's chest & tail made to look like peices of clothing rather than part of his body? another bad design imo....calligars are reptillian but they can't grow their own tails? they have to wear fake ones? yeah the 2002 designs were miles above these, imo.

i think it's a cool idea to have cetain characters gain their powers with the techno-virus though.... dragstor, extendar, maybe stonedar & rokkon, multibot could also be a victim of the virus.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Interesting! So, the circuits could retract into the body. When they come out, like you said, they create the framework and the energy wings form between them. Very cool!
    I didn't think about them retracting into the body...I think they would just always be on...I figure they're electro-chemically charged similar to a lightning bug.

And, we're back! On the menu today: Buzz-Off's classic wings!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00/buzznew.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...00/buzzold.jpg

Now that Buzz-Off is based on the original again, we've got his crazy old bionic wings! I didn't think about it when they made the 200X version. Made sense to increase the bug qualities, and honestly, I don't disagree with it. However, I still loved the robo-wings back in the day, and I really like seeing them come back. That raises questions about Buzz-Off, though.

I'm set on that being nano-technology for enhanced flying speed and manuverability.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    i think it's a cool idea to have cetain characters gain their powers with the techno-virus though.... dragstor, extendar, maybe stonedar & rokkon, multibot could also be a victim of the virus.
    LOT of cyborg types running around... Not sure what 'Powers' Stonedar and Rokkon would have gotten, I prefer the idea that their race can naturally turn to rocks... and they are just kind of 'afflicted' by techno virus...

As for Multibot.... I REALLY like the idea of Modulok sitting around one day saying... "Y'know what the world needs... more ME!!!! I think I'll build a Robot Me!!!"

Theres just... Some Ego to build robots in your own image ^_^

I imagine that big thing with the vacuum cleaner hose going to it is just that: a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the trimmed whiskers.

P.S.: This explanation also covers why he's sometimes seen without a moustache: the thing overdid it.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

techno-virus.......... sounds like either the Umbrella Corporation from Resident Evil paid a visit to Eternia & spread their virus's, or the Borg came along to assimilate everyone.

personally, I'm not fond of Buzz-off having mechanical wings. it's totally lame imo, since he's supposed to be an insect man type thing, so wings should be a natural part of his body like the fur on beastman. I'd prefer the 200x wings myself. but they don't look too bad on the motuc figure i suppose. given the choice i'd go for organic wings for Buzz every time though.
    Same goes for Stratos. bad design imo... he's a birdman, yet the wings aren't a natural part of his body? they're strapped on? and don't birds have talons? what's with the slippers? and why is whiplash's chest & tail made to look like peices of clothing rather than part of his body? another bad design imo....calligars are reptillian but they can't grow their own tails? they have to wear fake ones? yeah the 2002 designs were miles above these, imo.

Stratos' wings are attached to his body, though! I think the intent is that the bracers are just seperate armor, as shown in 200X, especially MVC's Volume 3 comic depicting Stratos' past (a great one). Also, he has talons! Look at those beast(man)ly claws on his hands!

As for the slippers...it gets cold up in the mountains.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I suppose that's just where we separate in interests. A friend of mine, for instance, is more interested in monster types, while I'm more interested in robots. While I still like the monsters, I think it's way more interesting to have thier origins mysterious. It's not terribly mysterious to have a bug man or a bird man. Thats just one of the races of the planet, ya know? Standard swords and sorcery. But a bug man...that needs artifical wings? A bird man that has monkey qualities and needs a jetpack? Now THAT'S interesting! It starts raising questions: why? Why artificial items when your body still has organic qualities mimicking the bug? What happened in the past? What is your "race's" origin? You're not just a part of the planet...something happened. I just LOVE it! Sparks my imagination and makes the world much more interesting for me. It's not just usual nature for this planet, ya know? Some really strange things happened over time to create some really wierd species that use organic technology to suppliment thier own natural abilities.

That's just me, though. I understand the move in 200X to make them full species that are just natural to the planet. Makes sense since the story focuses on the mythos of He-Man. My interests will always be deep in the old mini-comics, though. A place where the real mystery is in the past and in the strange technological and mystical center that is Castle Grayskull.
    Last edited by Alexx; July 14, 2013 at 01:04pm.

I suppose that's just where we separate in interests. A friend of mine, for instance, is more interested in monster types, while I'm more interested in robots. While I still like the monsters, I think it's way more interesting to have thier origins mysterious. It's not terribly mysterious to have a bug man or a bird man. Thats just one of the races of the planet, ya know? Standard swords and sorcery. But a bug man...that needs artifical wings? A bird man that has monkey qualities and needs a jetpack? Now THAT'S interesting! It starts raising questions: why? Why artificial items when your body still have organic qualities mimicking the bug? What happened in the past? What is your "race's" origin? You're not just a part of the planet...something happened. I just LOVE it! Sparks my imagination and makes the world much more interesting for me. It's not just usual nature for this planet, ya know? Some really strange things happened over time to create some really wierd species that use organic technology to suppliment thier own natural abilities.

That's just me, though. I understand the move in 200X to make them full species that are just natural to the planet. Makes sense since the story focuses on the mythos of He-Man. My interests will always be deep in the old mini-comics, though. A place where the real mystery is in the past and in the strange technological and mystical center that is Castle Grayskull.
    Well put! I'm still of the belief that Castle Grayskull magically moves around and changes locations in order to protect it's secrets from invaders. He-man can always find it because the Power Sword draws him to it. That's why in the old artworks, it was sometimes depicted on a mountain, sometimes on open plains, and sometimes surrounded by forest. It's all part of the mystery.

Great ideas in this thread.

Thinking of the implants or organs attached to Buzz Off's wings...

Perhaps they generate energy from the movement into a sudden heat wave or electrical field that can be used to blast opponents - either when they get too close or during swooping attacks? Could even form a shield like energy barrier or blasts of light to stun & confuse? These abilities could linked to thought-triggers carried by his helmet.

If he's going to have techno-wings & giant, armoured bug-eyes, let's make them do a few cool things.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    I always thought the techno-wings were to repair a war wound from the Eternian-Horde War, much like Randor's thigh harness, but I love all the alternate theories presented in this thread!
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

In an Island off the coast of The Evergreen Forrest
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    The Buzz-Off helmet is part of Lady GaGa's wardrobe. He is just trying to be stylish.
    HAHAAA!!que loco!!...good one!!Great thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Well put! I'm still of the belief that Castle Grayskull magically moves around and changes locations in order to protect it's secrets from invaders. He-man can always find it because the Power Sword draws him to it. That's why in the old artworks, it was sometimes depicted on a mountain, sometimes on open plains, and sometimes surrounded by forest. It's all part of the mystery.
    That is exactly how I feel about CG. I just don't see the point of the castle being so close to Eternos that anyone could stumble upon it.

I could also accept the castle remains in one place and through it's mysterious power could change the landscape around it, making it seem like it is in different locations each time

I like the idea of the techno-virus either infecting his species, or being harnessed to upgrade their abilities.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword-of-Grayskull View Post
    I always thought the techno-wings were to repair a war wound from the Eternian-Horde War, much like Randor's thigh harness, but I love all the alternate theories presented in this thread!
    Nice idea! Never thought of that. Makes me think of how I've always thought of Ram-Man - a cripple, whose legs were replaced with spring-loaded cybernetic legs (not the Filmation springs ) & a broken skull & neck encased in extremely hard helmet/shoulderpads that not only keep him alive & (mostly) cushioning his brain, but also serves as a weapon.

I figure a good part of his brain is water
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Nice idea! Never thought of that. Makes me think of how I've always thought of Ram-Man - a cripple, whose legs were replaced with spring-loaded cybernetic legs (not the Filmation springs ) & a broken skull & neck encased in extremely hard helmet/shoulderpads that not only keep him alive & (mostly) cushioning his brain, but also serves as a weapon.

I figure a good part of his brain is water
    yeah. the thought of them re-designing rammys legs to look a little bit more like randors cybernetic one. with hydralics and mechanical parts.....

Aaaaannnnd....we're back! Welcome to...oh heck, you can check the first post to see what this is. Today we have Sy-Klone on the plate! They have, of course, explained some of his powers and the radar on his filecard, but once again; this thread is for what you thought this stuff was when you were little, or for coming up with new stuff on the spot! So, here we go:

First we have Sy-Klone's crazy space radar. On his filecard we have it as a thing that detects evil 'n such. Interesting! However, I always thought he was some sorta space-faring robot. I guess that was the best my little mind could come up with back in the day! Honestly, I hadn't thought much past that, so what do you all think?

Ah, a new item! This is obviously what makes the tornados nowadays. Considering I still think of him as a cyborg, I think this works! On the other hand, with something like this, it could easily be armor for a normal guy. Kinda goes both ways! I love the idea of it being a generator for his power.

This is pretty obvious, but I can't help but wonder if this is more than just a shield, because...well, it's kinda boring to just have this as a weapon. I know Stinkor has only a shield, but something tells me that poor guy has to stop people from punching him often. Sy-Klone on the other hand...well, what does his shield do? I like the idea of it being a boomerang type weapon, so that he could throw it like Captain America, but he does have that new ring on his back for that. What do you think? Can it repel more than a normal shield?

Final one! What do you think: just a normal bladed ring? Something that connects with the backpack and allows for stronger tornados? Also a boomerange type weapon? Personally, I am having a ball with this thing. He can cut with it, he can use it to turn himself into a blade, and I think it would be cool if he could charge it with energy and launch energy slashes 'n such.

That's about all from me for now, so come on in and tell me what you think, or have thought in the past.
    Last edited by Alexx; April 22, 2011 at 01:18am.

Ca you imagine how hard he'd throw that shield when spinning at top speed? I imagine a sword would be overkill at that point. Same with the ring.

Maybe the ring acts as some sort of antennae or tuning fork for detecting electricity or currents in the air and he taps into that for maximum power.

The backpack stores some of that power like a battery.

The chest radar...I've always found that kind of weird to think about. He sure can't read it too easily. If it shows where other warriors are located, Skeletor could grab some binoculars and just check out the guy with the loudest outfit on Eternia and see where all of the heroes were hiding. I always assumed as a kid that he was a robot or cyborg, since robots seem like they'd have displays designed for humans to see.