Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What IS that Thing? (Discussions about unknown MOTU and POP items)

My take on MEF is a little different...

He was once just a normal guy who was mortally wounded on the battlefield, and MAA constructed a life support system for him, which was permanently fused with his body.
    This life support system is controlled by a highly advanced CPU, which is the knob on top of his head. The CPU is directly wired to MEF's brain and the harness, and it monitors his vital functions and also aids him in battle by releasing chemicals into his bloodstream.

Now this is where things in my interpetation get a little far out...MEF actually only has one face, his human face. His face doesn't turn or switch to any other. The robot face and the monster face don't actually exist, but of course as a toy or when watching a cartoon how do we know what personality is in charge? So these 'faces' are just representations of his different personalities.

The human face represents MEF's normal personality. He loves acting, and is often found performing plays. He is a noble and loyal person, who is indebted to MAA for saving his life. The human form is MEF's dominant personality, and he secretly hides from the others the dreadful secret of his robot personality. He is saddened that he has to battle for dominance over his own mind, and is always very remorseful when his personality slips into the monster personality.

The robot face (or personality as I prefer to see it) manifested when this highly advanced CPU developed an awareness of itself. The robot face is when the CPU manages to surpress MEF's humanity in favour of itself. It isn't evil, but like all life forms it seeks to establish superiority over another life form, and in this case, that's MEF's human personality.
    In robot form, MEF leaves no trace of the human personality, and MEF will act in a cold, machine-like, robotic manner.
    It cannot kill of MEF's physical form, as it relies on MEF's body to create the energy needed for it to function.
    The robot personality is usually surpressed, but sometimes it manages to take hold, especially when MEF sleeps. When he awakes, the robot personality will be present.
    It often takes a supreme effort of will for his human personality to regain control.

The monster face (or again, personality) is the reperesentation of MEF's dark side. This personality emerged as MEF's humanity struggled to supress the robot personality.
    This personality feels cursed, in that the human is permanently bonded to the machine, and it feels trapped in this life support system. Secretly, it hates MAA for making him live this way, even if of course it was the only way to save MEF's life.

The monster personality, is a dark, brooding, unpredictable personality. It hates all things technological and it can be very violent, sometimes flying into a dark rage. This rage causes a spike in MEF's testosterone levels, and as a result, the CPU, thinking that MEF is in battle, will release endorphins and performance-enhancing drugs into his bloodstream, making him superhumanly strong and extremely vicious.
    While an asset in battle, it can also cause problems since the monster personality can be manipulated. His supreme anger sometimes causes him to lash out blindly, even at friends.
    Unlike the robot personality, there is no definite switch of personalities...his monster personality emerges as the human personality slips into a state depression or anger. MEF's monster personality will be dominant for as long as the anger inside him rages on.
    Once calm, the monster personality will gradually recede, and MEF's human personality comes to emerge once more.

MEF will sometimes willingly and knowingly (but always regretably) bring on this monster personality to aid him and his friends in battle.
    Last edited by Neal1972; September 21, 2011 at 03:18pm.

TG's Webstor blog reminded me - what IS that symbol on Webstor's chest? It's never had any sort of explanation (from what I know).

My thought is that the top shape is a reference to a spider - the four points are doubled by another four-points as the shape is overlaid twice. This gives it 8 points (4 inner & 4 outer) that symbolise the spider legs.

The bottom shape could represent a web - thus, the spider appears to be sitting on a web.

Because symbols are important in human cultures, you'd think they would be in imaginary humanoid cultures. so I'm proposing that the symbols are Webstor's armour are of some political, religious or ideological significance - perhaps something that only he & others of his kind understand.

Or - if Webstor is a one-of-a-kind creature, the symbol might be a sign of his own (mad?) creation.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Nice! Then perhaps the markings on his armour are a copy of an Eternia spider with the same markings (similar to the above)? Most probably the most dangerous (largest? venomous?) of Eternian spiders?

Makes me wonder how Webstor would look if he were black....
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

LOVE this thread!!! Some very interesting ideas posted here about the unusual MOTUC figure details an what they might actually be for!

I look forward to seeing more!

Man-At-Arms' Armor...What Does it Do?

MOTU experts out there, has there ever been any info or content about the capabilities of MAA's weapons, specifically his armor? We see all kinds of knobs and tubes on it, but has there ever been any info about what it can do (Life support functions, cloaking, etc)?

You are in luck, my friend! I just so happened to have started a thread awhile back to answer that question - and more! I've been meaning to add more questions but I haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, just check out "What IS that Thing?" and the very first post goes over MAA and his armor, which includes made-up answers (as in: what you thought it did when you were little) or any answer from the canon that people can dig up!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    You are in luck, my friend! I just so happened to have started a thread awhile back to answer that question - and more! I've been meaning to add more questions but I haven't gotten around to it.
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the info.! Mods...please merge this thread with that other one?

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Apparently his armor doesn't deflect giant clamps
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Apparently his armor doesn't deflect giant clamps
    Nah, his armor's just smart enough to get out the way.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I think it just looks cool.

It has different weapons and technology that was used in the MYP toon, in various battles. I think there is some life support capability as well. His mace is also computerized and used for a lot more than a simple melee weapon.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Man-At-Arms' Armor...What Does it Do?
    The question isn't "What does Man-At-Arms' Armor do?" The question is "What doesn't it do?"

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info.! Mods...please merge this thread with that other one?
    10-4, good buddy.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

10-4, good buddy.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...orsmintbox.jpg

Well, lets take a look! I'd love to post the original with it as well, but that's probably one of the first things I lost back in the day.

Anyway, I'm going with mint box!
    Where he foolishly kept the Acid vial before tossing it, now it holds his Keldor eyeballs....kind of like in Hot Shots....

Ya know, I was thinking of mentioning that, but I left it alone due to it's original use. But hey, why not?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Optikkdail.jpg

So, competely ignoring it's original use, what can you people imagine that dail would be for in terms of the armor?

Best I can come up with is some sort of moving mechanism that looks cool on mechanical armor. However, if it was important, you could just shoot 'em there and I'm sure that would mess something up. Then again, he already has visible wires, so you'd think those would be important too.
    That's for fun, he can spin that or back up against a machine to make his eye spin like a top. Or for his sentry mode, like the Eye statues in Legend of Zelda, they constantly rotate.

And, we're back! On the menu today: Buzz-Off's classic wings!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...00/buzznew.jpg

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...00/buzzold.jpg

Now that Buzz-Off is based on the original again, we've got his crazy old bionic wings! I didn't think about it when they made the 200X version. Made sense to increase the bug qualities, and honestly, I don't disagree with it. However, I still loved the robo-wings back in the day, and I really like seeing them come back. That raises questions about Buzz-Off, though.

What IS Buzz-Off? He's obviously a bug man...sorta. The original was just in scale with the rest of the guys, and the rest of the guys were big and muscular. That doesn't change the fact that he's got robotic wings, though! Obviously this guy either needs robo-wings to help him since he's not born with any, or for some reason his natural wings are damaged and need the cybernetics to work. OR...maybe his race used to fly and all that, but whatever happened in the past kinda ruined thier abilities, making them all big and muscular so that they all need the cybernetics to get them back in the air again.

As always, I'm just throwing stuff out there. So, whatdoya think?
    Maybe he had bullies as a small bee, and they pulled his wings off because he wouldn't cough up his lunch money....

Ah, good point! I thought of some sort of seal, but I didn't notice that the lines match up.

That was my first thought. Many of the monster folk (in the original line) seemed like they were somehow...made that way. They're different races in the present, but who knows what happened in the past? That's what I love about the old mini-comics. Then again, I've always been a fan of the mysterious technological past that was somehow destroyed. MotU just made a dang good one, originally.

Buzz-Off is really a prime example of that. He's obviously got a lot of human in him, and on top of that, his main bug properties are both (possibly) prosthetic: the wings and the helmet. Heck, his normal eyes just seem like giant closed eyes. Perhaps his normal eyes are part of the bug-like DNA, but they could never go all the way, pretty much forming into larger eyes with those green "lids" that you can see through. They would protect the eyes for flight if they could fly. The wings allow the flight, and the helmet provides the bug vision when needed. Who knows?

Speaking of which, I better throw the helmet up too:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...0/buzzhelm.jpg
    Hey, even bugs need sunglasses, more so if you have 1000 lenses on each eye, and can mostly see in black and white....gets kind of bright.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

cyber-assassin
    I always saw man-e-faces as a changeling and the chest being a hologram projector. I love the techno-organic virus idea for buzz-off, but it reminds me of cable from the x-men. I think of syclone's ring being a blade, like a saws-all or drimmel tool. The shield's lame, and the radar's radar. but.... can stratos fly without the jet pack? and without the arm wings. and are the arm wings part of the body, or an attachment? I always saw him as an advanced monkey, and the jet-pack is needed to fly. but he can use his feet as hands too. The wings are unnecessary to fly, but are stylish armor.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

HELLO, people! Welcome back to the "What IS That Thing" thread! After....what is it...? ALMOST TWO YEARS?! I haven't updated this for that long?? Geeze man, what happened?

HBRUBRBRB Okay, okay. Lets just hop right back in. If you're unfamiliar with how this works, check the first page! If you're too lazy to do that (and honestly, I wouldn't respect you if you weren't) then check it out, brah: This is for all you folks out there who LOVE exercising that imagination! Have you ever wondered about all those little details on MotU figures both new and old? Did you actually find info on what those items are - OR - did you used to/recently make up uses for those items/details? Well then COME ON IN! We're here to find canonical reasons for all the little things, and, if there's none, we'll make 'em up as we go along!

The figure in question that brought me out of my slumber is none other than the confounding walking gun show: Rio-Blast!

As per usual, we'll be looking at both the original and the update...though, it looks like they carried over every detail, just about! There aren't a lot of mysterious details here....he's full of guns! But, just like Trap-Jaw's crazy blaster, we're going to delve in to what we think these guns might do, given the details and design. Lets begin!

Ah, the simplest item: The handguns! On the original figure they flip out and are fixed to his palms. The Classics version seems to have them....pop out from his wrists? The long part that plugs into the arm seems to indicate that it might slide out, but that thing can't fit in his arm, unless it folds out. What do you think?

Now, as for it's function: The rings around the end make me think of an...energy collector, of some sort. So that, perhaps, this thing instantly collects surrounding particles or solar energy, and fires them off like a rail gun. It would be simple and require limited power, so the pistols could be ready to go even if he himself is low on power. BUT...I'm not good with mechanics. Perhaps there's something else that makes more sense? Also: You'll notice there aren't any barrels! It's just a rounded nub at the end.

Knee blasters, thigh blasters (since that's where they're stored), whatever you wana call them. To me, these seem like lasers! I don't know why. Maybe it's the thin barrel. Shooting at this height would be great for taking your foes off their feet, but I imagine there are times when you don't want to...you know, blow their legs off. So I imagine these are variable lasers - you can fire them full-force, or turn down the power to stun your foes and trip them up. Then, perhaps, he can remove them and use them to burn off locks 'n such.

The Indigestion! Call it what you will: This puppy pops right out the GUT. This thing is the most obvious evidence that Rio-Blast is mostly cybernetic. In the original figure, there's a BIG hole in his chest for this to fit into! On the new guy (*COUGH* we'll ignore the flap problem*COUGH*) the chest seems to be flat! So which is it? Personally, I think there's a cavity in there, but I'll leave it to my imagination. The gun probably folds up a bit (not all the way flat) and the chest opens up to retrieve it when not in use.

But what does it DO? When I was a kid, I used this one as the MACHINE GUN! Nothing is more satisfying that flipping that open and going BUDUDUDUDUDUDUD!! Nowadays, I'm not so sure! If Rio is sporting some sort of awesome power source at his core, then it stands to reason that the chest gun would pack a punch, or have a high rate of fire. It has direct contact with his power source! However, if that's also keeping him alive...it doesn't seem like the best idea. So I'm thinking this thing is so large because it has it's own little power source, and is recharged by the main body when not in use. The center piece provides the juice, but perhaps not a high rate of fire. Now I'm thinking it looks more like a THUMP-THUMP-THUMP gun! Heavy one-after-the-other impact shots that'll knock an enemy flat or bust down a door.

ALSO:

There's bullets on his belt, now! Where could those possibly go on a man filled with energy guns? My thoughts are that the chest gun runs dual duty: The center provides the innards with retractable energy blasters. When retracted within (you wouldn't see this action) it leaves the barrels empty and you can load the shells in the side for solid ammo firing ability! So maybe Rio carries these special shells in his belt for various uses - like smoke shells, or explosive shells, etc.

The Backpack! I'd call it the "Main Event", but we all know what the REAL Main Event is.

Anyway, we'll break this up, since it's got a lot going on. First, the guns! This thing is sporting some long rifles on either side, with some smaller blasters on top of each. I think this is pretty straight forward. The backpack is removable and LARGE, so it has it's own power source. This sucker, in tandem with Rio's own power source, fires some HEAVY charges that hit you HARD at close range, but still has enough power to make it nice 'n far. So naturally: this is his sniping set! I'd say the goggles make it obvious. When you've got goggles built into a sci-fi long rifle, you know he's thinking long distance! The top guns are either icing on the cake, OR some sort of laser targeting system. Maybe he could tag targets and the pack has some sort of blast-bending ability? So he could line-of-sight a target, hide behind a rock, and fire the guns to arch around and (hopefully) hit his mark? Just throwing things out there.

Now, speaking of goggles: What's that thing on top? Is it to protect his head from rain? Nah! Look at that thing! I'll bet it's some sort of radar that lets him know about wind speed, weather, all that. Makes sense, being connected to the goggles. Any other ideas?

Finally, lets throw the back of it up here! I think it's obvious that this is the power source. The new version shows his arm pipes to be attached to the pack, too! Probably to provide better control and aim, but also, possibly, to add it's extra power to his handguns?

Some interesting points are the two tanks and the circular thing at the top. Is that a way to recharge?

Whew! As you can see, I've put a lot of thought into this guy over the years, but the new version has started that pot a bubblin' all over again! I'm excited to see what ya'll think, or what you thought back in the day. Don't forget: If there's some little detail you want to go over that I didn't photograph; let me know! I'll be happy to add a pic so we can analyze the CRAP out of it!

OH OH, I forgot the real MAIN EVENT:

DAT 'STACHE! What does it DO?! OH THE MYSTERY!!
    Last edited by Alexx; September 22, 2014 at 04:15pm.

Heroic Warrior
    DAT 'STACHE! What does it DO?! OH THE MYSTERY!!
    It saves flavors. As a secondary function, it is also a duster of cookies.

Rio blast's 'stache needs it's own bio....come on, Scott...get to work!

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    It saves flavors. As a secondary function, it is also a duster of cookies.
    In terms of flavor: Now I can't help thinking that it lifts up and has a salt and pepper shaker on different sides of the stache. Just leans over his food and SHAKESHAKESHAKE.

"Wh....what are you doing?"

"...savin' the flavor. Want any?"

"N...no, man. No.

On Rio:
    Visor is a Heads up Display. Targeting, wind speed, ammo count and all the calculations that a spotter on a spotter/sniper team would do.
    The "bullets" are just ammo types. (Ice beams, stun beams, etc.)
    The "guns":
    Arms = "beam revolvers". Rio pulls off short to medium range shots with these. These quick draw weapons (in my fan continuity all of his concealed guns are nanite constructs. Hence the quickest draw in the universe.) are useful for trick shots (the famous ricochet bullet) and as a nod to Megaman the Revolvers can charge energy before releasing a more powerful blast. Revolvers need to reload after six shots; Rio's revolver need a little downtime after X shots have been fired to avoid overheating. (or a single Charged shot)
    Legs = Machineguns. Rapid fire, baby! Leg height to cripple opponents and mow them down non-lethally... or mow down Horde Troopers.
    Chest = Shotgun. Spread damage, but needs a small cooldown period.
    Visor guns = Sniper rifles (with alternate auto mode). Long shots are taken with these.

Mustache is just a mustache.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.