Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosmic Key NA idea and open letter to Mattel from Jack Olesker!

Sorry for this but I disagree. I absolutely hate the Gwildor character and to make him seem important is not necessary to me. This is why I didn't comment on BAA's thread. The movie was okay and I don't want figures of the characters. I'm not saying don't make them it, if I get stuck with 1 I will sell it.

YES, I LOVED the idea when i had heard it as well.

It is so SIMPLE an idea but yet elegant in its simplicity. It has the added benefit of:

A. Using a plot device, the Cosmic Key, which is already a part of the MOTU mythos rather than shoehorning in some new Macguffin or other contrived device.

B. It gives a more universally derided character, such as Gwildor, a purpose. it gives him a larger tie to the universe of MOTU. It makes him important rather than a joke and i am ALWAYS for making a character more than a one off joke, just look what MYP did for Stinkor or Count Marzo.

so YES!!! please give the Cosmic Key and Gwildor the importance they deserve.

p.s. doing this will make a Gwildor toy MUCH more wanted....FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Understood and respected. It's a lengthy discussion for another time. (And I will tell you that my personal feeling has always been that it's wise to solicit fan interaction.)

With regard to MAA turning bad, I will, however, point out -- as I did in other posts -- that there were likely a lot of folks who, at some point in time, could never buy the idea of Judas Iscariot, Lancelot du Lac or Anikan Skywalker turning bad. Circumstances and long hidden emotions can sometimes conspire to surprise those who think they know a person well. When that happens -- when the most seemingly pure of heart falls from grace -- it is all the more powerful and can result in amazing, unexpected and compelling storylines.

That said, I'm delighted that you like the overall idea and I think Brainatarms is to be commended for striving to find a way to bring all fans together and to create a legion of new ones.
    i always like the idea of MAA turning bad like you stated. I didnt think of him as turning bad but rather having a different motivation.

Ultimate power corrupts absolutely
    Last edited by King Kahn; January 20, 2010 at 10:02pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Jack, could you go into a little more detail on what made MAA go bad? It's the one aspect of your proposal for NA Season Two that I have a hard time believing would actually happen. Maybe if I knew more about the circumstances surrounding it I might change my mind, but it just seems so out of character for Duncan.

I'm jumping on the positive side of the board for this idea too. It's such a simple pre-existing device in MOTU lore that could easily be the very thing that ties NA in with the rest of MOTU lore. No matter what the intentions behind where the characters go after He-Man and Skeletor jump forward in time, and when or if they come back, using the cosmic key to move forward in space and time is the brilliantly simple plot point that easily gets the characters from A to B.

Well done to Brianatarms for coming up with such a great idea and kudos to Jack for jumping on board.

I like the idea!!
    Sign me up as a supporter!

I just watched the 2nd boxed set of NA He-Man today while home from work and I am in love with the cosmic key idea now more than ever

It just makes sense and would give an easy transition to bring the series together
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    I'm in - SOLD on the idea of the cosmic key & Gwildor...need more time to digest the MAA piece. I'm not sure it's necessary for him to turn evil in order for He-Man to return home, but I need to sit with it.

I've never really liked the idea of Man-At-Arms turning to the dark side. If he did turn, I think it should be revealed that there were dark forces at work that were manipulating him into believing that he was doing the right thing. Perhaps through King Hiss or Hordak, or some other unseen force. It could even be that he is possessed by a demon or something, but doesn't know it.

Anything that uses the Cosmic Key as a main story element is welcome! I like Gwildor, and it would nice to see his character expanded beyond the 87 movie.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Jack, could you go into a little more detail on what made MAA go bad? It's the one aspect of your proposal for NA Season Two that I have a hard time believing would actually happen. Maybe if I knew more about the circumstances surrounding it I might change my mind, but it just seems so out of character for Duncan.
    Well again, this is just one person's take on it.

I do believe in the greatness of MAA's spirit and heart. However, I also believe in the corruptive power of having to forever live in another's shadow. The thirst for power is also a draw. And betrayal is an act of devastation that can cause great scars.

Now I'm not saying He-man betrayed MAA by answering Primus' call for help. As I've said in other posts, our brave military personnel answer the call for help on a daily basis and leave family and friends behind to serve those who need their help. But just a many loyal MOTU fans were angered by He-man's leaving, perhaps MAA also, in his mind, felt betrayed. If in that power vacuum Teela, She-ra and The Sorceress formed the tri-partite alliance I suggested in order to fight off an unexpected threat, it seems to me that it might have been the key that brought all of these emotions together in MAA and turned that key: 1) he'd always been in He-man's shadow, 2) he felt betrayed by He-man leaving and 3) instead of him being ordained to lead, three women (gasp! ) take/are given the reins of power.

I want to be very careful to say that I'm not suggesting he is evil. He's not. But events can conspire in such a way that a person can make bad choices and that is precisely what I suggest might have happened to MAA. He is, then, a lost soul and a victim of circumstances. Having been that victim of circumstances, there is also plenty of guilt that can be laid because he made those bad choices. That he will eventually realize the error of his ways and, after agonies and still more wrong choices, return to the fold will be cause for celebration throughout Eternia and pave the way for even greater battles against forces that truly are evil.

As I've also said in other posts, the humor that I enjoyed having in NA would be almost completely gone from this new concept. It would be a dark time, with dark alliances and dark deeds -- those times, alliances and deeds illuminated, exposed and overcome only through the shining beacon that is He-man's essence. It would be a time that would try men's (and women's) souls and only the most powerful man in the universe could hope to not only survive those dark times but to triumph over them.

Ah well, it's just fan-fic...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    Could the Cosmic Key be the thing that ties in NA and the Classic Line together?
    As long as it looks cool

Of course, I wouldn't mind if Gwildor -- Heroic Master of Locks -- didn't build the Cosmic Key, but maybe found the Cosmic Key. Of course, the quesiton would then be... where did the Cosmic Key come from?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I like this idea very much. Maybe not MAA going evil dictator (Mattel would have to change the idea up a bit so nobody sues, etc.), but Gwildor bringing He-Man back, freeing the royal family, being the hero...perfect.

The cosmic key better be important. Makes it so He-Man can time travel.

At any rate, I think it's a perfect way to tie in the classic MOTU Universe, Movie and NA.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

To Brianatarms

Brianatarms, please see my An Open Letter to Mattel thread in this forum.

As I said at the outset of that thread, in no way am I trying to commandeer your thread. Please take my thread as a heartfelt nod to you for coming up with the brilliant idea for uniting all of fandom and, for once and all, bringing together all elements of MOTU and also as my desire to lend support to your idea.

After thirty years in the entertainment industry I don't need to blow smoke up anyone's... uh, "in anyone's direction". So understand that when I'm complimenting you it's sincere, straight from the heart and based upon the opinion of a longtime industry professional.

Congrats on a great idea.

Best,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I've never really liked the idea of Man-At-Arms turning to the dark side. If he did turn, I think it should be revealed that there were dark forces at work that were manipulating him into believing that he was doing the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    However, I also believe in the corruptive power of having to forever live in another's shadow. The thirst for power is also a draw.
    As I've been reading some of this (topics discussing New Adventures, the Man-At-Arms "betrayal" etc.), a couple of ideas popped into my head:

1. What some people see as evil or wrong may not seem so to someone else.
    2. Martial Law.

If something happened to Randor & Marlena when Adam and Adora weren't able to assume command (busy battling on Primus and Etheria, respectively), I would presume Man-At-Arms would be the next in the chain of command. Maybe he doesn't rule as he wants to, but how he has to... and it spirals from there. Sounds like ripe pickings for a crafty evil spirit to take advantage of.

I would feel a little guilty about getting off-topic, but I didn't do it first. I blame Man-At-Arms.

Back to the original topic... I'm 100% for anything that brings more fans, new & old, together to enjoy some more Masters of the Universe. Even if I don't enjoy the product itself as much as other MOTU products.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Maybe not MAA going evil dictator (Mattel would have to change the idea up a bit so nobody sues, etc.)
    This actually reminded me of another hero in a toy/cartoon line that did something similar: the Rhinox/Tankor change from Beast Wars to Beast Machines. I'm pretty sure Hasbro was fine with it.

Of course, Mattel doesn't tend to do things anywhere near the way Hasbro does.
    Last edited by josh; January 20, 2010 at 11:14pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1. I don't like the idea of Man-At-Arms turning bad.

2. I don't hate Gwildor, but I do NOT feel the need to have him elevated to any higher status than he already has.

3. Why would he need to contact He-Man and ask him to come back? Wouldn't he automatically return to Eternia once the job was done on Primus?
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    3. Why would he need to contact He-Man and ask him to come back? Wouldn't he automatically return to Eternia once the job was done on Primus?
    He-Man is stuck in the future. So...when his mission is over...he's just there still on Primus. This is an excellent way to bring him back home to Eternia.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I posted this idea WAAAAY back months ago, although with a different spin.

In my idea, Lizzor from NA was originally from Eternia, and was the brother of Saurod from the 87 movie. Skeletor, presumed dead at the end of the movie, survives his injuries but requires the cybernetic implants as seen in NA.

When Adam/He-man leaves for Primus, Gwildor takes up residence in the palace, assisting Man-at-arms developing new technology to defend Eternia in He-man's absence.

When Lizzor learns that Skeletor is still alive, he steals the Cosmic Key, using it to pursue Skeletor into the future, as he intends to kill him and avenge his brother's death. Arriving on Denebria, Lizzor quietly falls in with the ranks of the other mutants, biding his time...

When I watch the '87 movie, I take it for granted that the characters assign so much importance to the Cosmic Key because they aren't already aware of multiple modes of transport through time and space. In other words, Skeletor covets the key because the movie Skeletor is a Skeletor who can't open gates through spacetime as we have seen in some Filmation eps. And I guess the Sorceress can't open such gates in the movie continuity either, or else some of the good guys would have mentioned that fact.

Now, if the Cosmic Key were to be ported over to a continuity of MOTU characters that include a Skeletor who knows magic enough to traverse spacetime and a Sorceress who can do likewise, then Gwildor and his Key, it seems to me, become redundant. Unless I'm overlooking some key advantage that his technology has that the magic users lack.

I also can't help but ask -- if Master Sebrian and his scientist pals already know how to build time machines to visit the past and Eternia, then why would a story require the Cosmic Key to do the same thing? For that matter, in one episode the Sorceress sent Teela to Primus, so Gwildor's Key is one of a few modes of timespace conveyance that Teela, He-Man, the Sorceress, and Skeletor know exist. Is the Cosmic Key the best one for a given purpose? If so, why?
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    1. I don't like the idea of Man-At-Arms turning bad.

2. I don't hate Gwildor, but I do NOT feel the need to have him elevated to any higher status than he already has.

1. Your objective call and I respect that.

2. History, literature, television and art are replete with examples of secondary characters who went on to rise on their own. In television there is a whole cottage industry called 'spin-offs'. Sometimes secondary characters' series even eclipse the series from which they came.

3. He doesn't have the means to do so. It was The Sorceress, teamed with Sebrian -- not He-man -- who devised the means by which he was transported to Primus.

Btw, your points are all well thought out, well expressed and much appreciated by this writer who feels blessed to have thought-provoking, incisive and passionate fan interaction, along with civil criticism, here on the board.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 21, 2010 at 12:00am.

Wandering the abyss, in search of an alliance of consequence.
    I'm going to put my support behind Brian-at-arms and Here's Olesker. My main reasoning is this it's an absolutely brilliant idea, and should be a way to pacify the hostilities generated by those who think a particular period of MOTU should be left out. Why would it do this you ask? Simple it makes everything fluid and flow, no more of this that doesn't belong cause its not classic. If you merge all the mythos then it all becomes classic at least in my 3eyes it does.
    Find the things in life that bring you joy and hold onto them with every ounce of your being.

Quote Originally Posted by triklops3eyes View Post
    I'm going to put my support behind Brian-at-arms and Here's Olesker. My main reasoning is this it's an absolutely brilliant idea, and should be a way to pacify the hostilities generated by those who think a particular period of MOTU should be left out. Why would it do this you ask? Simple it makes everything fluid and flow, no more of this that doesn't belong cause its not classic. If you merge all the mythos then it all becomes classic at least in my 3eyes it does.
    And that, my friend, is the sheer genius of Brianatarms' idea. It's the Rosetta Stone. It is the splinter that has been in my mind for two decades. This is an idea that has been waiting for twenty years to happen -- for the fans, for me and for Mattel. That it works so logically and on so many levels for so many reasons and purposes -- artistic, commercial -- is the breathtaking brilliance of his idea.

As Nike would say, "Just do it."

I like the idea. It uses an already available plot device, so no need to create something new and a new character.

On MAA going to the Dark Side: I'd like to read more about that from you, Jack.

I can see WHY he goes to the Dark Side. (the following is my opinion. Not to be taken as facts.)
    He's friends with the King of Eternia. He's He-Man's mentor. He's The "father" of the "Next Sorceress of Grayskull".
    So much power so close, yet so far. He's the only Normal Human in this pantheon of Gods and Demigods that is the Heroic Warriors. With He-Man (The Power of Grayskull) AND Skeletor out of the Picture there is a shift in the balance of Power. This would cause an increase of the "lesser factions" trying to get control of Eternia. (Perhaps this could allow "new players" to the mix.)

Duncan with his Tactical experience and knowledge on how most of the known players operate, chose to protect Eternia HIS way. To create a "Hero" you need a "Villain". So Duncan creates a new threat (one that he could control and keep Eternia's struggle in balance.) Himself. By creating a whole new Identity to walk the Dark path (this should read: Hey kids! Here's the NEW ACTION FIGURE of Duncan's "Evil" Persona) Duncan can have his "threat" and "fight" it with the Heroic Warriors

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Eventually Duncan would tire of the charade and take over completely. (Removing the House of Randor from Eternos, quelling the Uprisings from the other factions, etc.) Zodac and the Cosmic Enforcers would not interfere since Duncan's actions are to maintain Balance on the planet.

Is MAA Evil?
    No. He's not. I believe that he sees himself as a man that is sacrificing himself for the sake of others. He CHOSE to become a monster in order to bring peace and prosperity to Eternia.
    There is a part of him that is enjoying all the glory and power that he has, but there is another that longs for the one who will restore the proper rulers of Eternia. (My guess is that he hopes for either Teela or Adam to be the one.)

Now I want an Evil MAA figure...
    sorry if my post (seems) is a bit scattered, I'm no writer.
    Last edited by DO4M; January 21, 2010 at 12:31am.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I like the idea. It uses an already available plot device, so no need to create something new and a new character.

On MAA going to the Dark Side: I'd like to read more about that from you, Jack.

I can see WHY he goes to the Dark Side. (the following is my opinion. Not to be taken as facts.)
    He's friends with the King of Eternia. He's He-Man's mentor. He's The "father" of the "Next Sorceress of Grayskull".
    So much power so close, yet so far. He's the only Normal Human in this pantheon of Gods and Demigods that is the Heroic Warriors. With He-Man (The Power of Grayskull) AND Skeletor out of the Picture there is a shift in the balance of Power. This would cause an increase of the "lesser factions" trying to get control of Eternia. (Perhaps this could allow "new players" to the mix.)

Duncan with his Tactical experience and knowledge on how most of the known players operate, chose to protect Eternia HIS way. To create a "Hero" you need a "Villain". So Duncan creates a new threat (one that he could control and keep Eternia's struggle in balance.) Himself. By creating a whole new Identity to walk the Dark path (this should read: Hey kids! Here's the NEW ACTION FIGURE of Duncan's "Evil" Persona) Duncan can have his "threat" and "fight" it with the Heroic Warriors

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Eventually Duncan would tire of the charade and take over completely. (Removing the House of Randor from Eternos, quelling the Uprisings from the other factions, etc.) Zodac and the Cosmic Enforcers would not interfere since Duncan's actions are to maintain Balance on the planet.

Is MAA Evil?
    No. He's not. I believe that he sees himself as a man that is sacrificing himself for the sake of others. He CHOSE to become a monster in order to bring peace and prosperity to Eternia.
    There is a part of him that is enjoying all the glory and power that he has, but there is another that longs for the one who will restore the proper rulers of Eternia. (My guess is that he hopes for either Teela or Adam to be the one.)

Now I want an Evil MAA figure...
    You don't need to read more from me about it, my friend. All you need to do is read your own post.

Seriously, this kind of post is one of the reasons I love he-man.org. You guys (and gals) just rock. Heck, I tried to come up with something else to explain how I feel about all of you, but I can't. "You rock" just says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    I like what your saying. You know Orko is Filmation but he was a toy so he's fair game. im not really a fan of the shenanigans he does but if you use him as a very special magician who lost his powers in the tar swamp but he's not an annoying twit but an intelligent alien who can still do minor magic then I love him.
    What you said, sort of!
    At the time I saw the movie in '87, I didn't like Gwildor because he seemed like a revamped Orko type. While the movie has it's failings, I now consider Gwildor to be an interesting and original character and would be glad to add him to my Eternia population.
    At least Gwildor was intelligent. Filmation overran Orko and too often had him being a twit.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

I support this idea, I think it's awesome. As has been said, it brings together elements from the different versions of He-Man and ties them together quite neatly. Yeah, MAA turning to the dark side is shocking but people do that sometimes (I can think of one recent example that took place that got international attention that I wont specifically mention because this is not the place.) but things like that do happen. I think that fans of this franchise have long wanted to know what happens when He-Man returns from Primus and this is as good an explanation as any I've heard. Jack, the fact that your around and continue to give the fandom your ideas is a testament to how much you enjoy your work.

I'm not entirely sure how likely Mattel is to actually listen to the idea though and that's a shame because it's brilliant. Mattel tends to do their own thing sometimes and doesn't seem to realize a lot goes on around them. I suppose that even if the idea doesn't have a snowball chance, we can at least give you credit for pitching the idea...who know's what could come of it, after all, it has absolutely no chance if kept to oneself.
    Last edited by Darkness; January 21, 2010 at 01:23am.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.