Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosmic Key NA idea and open letter to Mattel from Jack Olesker!

Sounds awesome to me.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I support this idea, I think it's awesome. As has been said, it brings together elements from the different versions of He-Man and ties them together quite neatly. Yeah, MAA turning to the dark side is shocking but people do that sometimes (I can think of one recent example that took place that got international attention that I wont specifically mention because this is not the place.) but things like that do happen. I think that fans of this franchise have long wanted to know what happens when He-Man returns from Primus and this is as good an explanation as any I've heard. Jack, the fact that your around and continue to give the fandom your ideas is a testament to how much you enjoy your work.

I'm not entirely sure how likely Mattel is to actually listen to the idea though and that's a shame because it's brilliant. Mattel tends to do their own thing sometimes and doesn't seem to realize a lot goes on around them. I suppose that even if the idea doesn't have a snowball chance, we can at least give you credit for pitching the idea...who know's what could come of it, after all, it has absolutely no chance if kept to oneself.
    Well said, Darkness, and thank you.

The fact that I've been around here for so long and have posted so many times -- despite an extremely heavy and demanding work schedule -- is certainly partly due to my love of He-man. But an equal part is due to the welcome -- and constructive, engaging and educational criticism -- I've felt from many fans here. I've often said that he-man.org is a sort of oasis for me -- a place where I can find fan interaction, thoughtful comments, intelligent criticism and a venue of abundant creativity and passionately held views, and articulate expression of the same.

I'm so very grateful for it and for all of you.

As for Mattel -- well, they did not get to be the premier toy manufacturer in the world because they don't know what they're doing. A great idea is a great idea, no matter where it comes from. I've said in other posts that my feeling about Mattel is one of gratitude for the creative latitude they gave me on NA. I've worked with them on many projects in the past. The opportunity to possibly bring them and their fans together in an amalgam that could create a new wave of spectacular interest in a franchise that we all so love makes me giddy with excitement.

We shall see.

To be continued.

Regardless of whatever else happens or does not happen, tonight this writer goes to sleep a happy man, and I owe it in large measure to Brainatarms and all of you. So thanks.

Best,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERHEMANMIKE View Post
    Sure it can!

I read that and saw your avatar at the same time, so I heard "Sure it can!" in Billy Barty's (Gwildor's) wonderfully joyful voice!!

I love Gwildor, always have. I think Jack's idea is perfect.

Too bad they won't use it, because it's Toyguru's way or NO WAYYYYYYYYY!!! (see Evil-Lyn's bio)

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    As for Mattel -- well, they did not get to be the premier toy manufacturer in the world because they don't know what they're doing. A great idea is a great idea, no matter where it comes from. I've said in other posts that my feeling about Mattel is one of gratitude for the creative latitude they gave me on NA. I've worked with them on many projects in the past. The opportunity to possibly bring them and their fans together in an amalgam that could create a new wave of spectacular interest in a franchise that we all so love makes me giddy with excitement.

We love you, Jack

Unfortunately, Mattel didn't become the billion dollar biggest toy company in the world under its current watch, nor the previous... it's remaining that kind of company DESPITE the current POWERS that be...

OOPS, I said "Powers" - don't want to remind anyone of that SILLY NEW EVIL-LYN BIO!!!
    Last edited by bcrduke; January 21, 2010 at 01:04am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

If the majority on this board -- comprised of fans who are the Keepers of the Flame for He-man and, as such, are the ones who know what will best bring him out of suspended animation (sorry for the second pun, but I couldn't resist) -- agree with this direction, then perhaps you can respectfully and enthusiastically bring it to Mattel's attention.

Yeah I can't say I'm fully behind the whole Man-at-Arms idea. My vision would be more in lines of Gwildor just "showing up" and being confused by the Eternia he thought he knew looking oddly different. We'd find out about him being from a parallel universe and that he was on the run. Skeletor of his universe was back and was after the key. In an attempt to run he used the key to escape.

We'd then see he landed on the current storyline's universe. The He-Man we all know. He recognized He-Man even though he was a little different and expalined everything.

We could say He-Man went to the movie universe and helped that world's He-Man defeat Skeletor. In the process some "Gwildor bumbling" caused them to jump ahead in time to the NA He-Man time line. Or just Gwildor. Whatever would work and go with the flow of story.

Eventually all things are put back right but using the key shows all these various He-Mans in time and universes. It could even end up with us seeing Man-at-Arms working on his own key after Gwildor gave him the plans on how to build it.

I'd rather see something along those lines. Something that does allow each to stay in it's own little world but wrap it all together. Basically like the new Star Trek movie.
    Last edited by J_Man; January 21, 2010 at 01:21am.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I read that and saw your avatar at the same time, so I heard "Sure it can!" in Billy Barty's (Gwildor's) wonderfully joyful voice!!

I love Gwildor, always have. I think Jack's idea is perfect.

Too bad they won't use it, because it's Toyguru's way or NO WAYYYYYYYYY!!! (see Evil-Lyn's bio)

We love you, Jack

Unfortunately, Mattel didn't become the billion dollar biggest toy company in the world under its current watch, nor the previous... it's remaining that kind of company DESPITE the current POWERS that be...

OOPS, I said "Powers" - don't want to remind anyone of that SILLY NEW EVIL-LYN BIO!!!
    Thank you for your kind words.

I do not know Toyguru (yet; though I've a hunch I shall), but I know the entertainment industry. I lived in Los Angeles for nineteen years and labored in the studio system all that time. I can tell you, unequivocably and without even knowing him, that Toyguru had to crawl over three thousand yards of broken glass that, by comparison, made Andy Dufresne's trek through that sewer pipe in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION seem like an afternoon stroll down Strawberry Lane.

I can attest, from personal experience, that the brutal competition for the executive position that Toyguru has cannot possibly be conceived by most people in other fields of endeavor. (Rent SWIMMING WITH THE SHARKS for a very small idea of what's involved.) One does not rise to that level without consummate skills, a highly tuned antenna for what are and what are not the elements of success and a willingness to sometimes roll the dice. Those skills, that antenna and that willingness to roll the dice makes me feel that perhaps he will see the brilliance in this idea and, for his own benefit as well as for that of the company that signs his check and the fans here (and I would think he truly does care about these fans or why else would he be here?), at least be willing to take the 'unification concept' (gosh, I like the sound of that ) to those who make such decisions. I could be wrong about all of this, but thirty years in the industry tells me that I am not, and if it worked out there would be a great RUDY/ROCKY PR buzz story -- "The fans helped come up with the idea that gave rebirth to He-man" -- to tell at cocktail stories in L.A. and don't discount the importance of having interesting stories to tell at cocktail parties in L.A.

As for Mattel, while it's true the executives I once worked with have long since moved on, you're still talking about a megastar in the pantheon of toy manufacturing. The company is run by the creme de la creme of business executives. Brianatarms' key to bringing NA and MOTU together is, as I've said before, sheer brilliance. The upside is incalculable. Great ideas come to fruition because they are great ideas. Don't ever underestimate the profit motive. It trumps ego, pomposity and self-indulgence every time.

As I said, we shall see.

Over to you, Toyguru.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 21, 2010 at 02:41am.

Jack: Thank you for elaborating on MAA's state of mind that lead him to overthrow the kingdom. Feeling betrayed by He-Man and abandoned in their hour of need could make anyone do desperate things, even Duncan.

I still don't like the idea of him turning on his friends & family, but at least now I feel I understand his reasoning a bit better.

brianatarms: I love the idea of Gwildor using the Cosmic Key to bring HM back from the future! Mattel, you have to use this in the bios!

While I feel the Gwildor/Cosmic Key angle could help integrate NA and MOTU and support Mattel reading this thread and considering this angle for the MOTUC NA character bios, I don't support the evil-MAA proposed NA season 2 scenario.

It is great to see Mr Olesker here, still enjoying the world of MOTU and interacting with fans but I cannot support his vision in this regard. There are so few heroes in life, literature and the silver screen that are genuine straight, positive clean-skin role models. Even the remarkable Tiger Woods has fallen of late.

Please Mattel, if you are reading this, protect your brand investment and resist the urge to go all gritty and 'realistic' with the MOTU heroes. Just my 2c.

Brianatarms, please see my An Open Letter to Mattel thread in this forum.

As I said at the outset of that thread, in no way am I trying to commandeer your thread. Please take my thread as a heartfelt nod to you for coming up with the brilliant idea for uniting all of fandom and, for once and all, bringing together all elements of MOTU and also as my desire to lend support to your idea.

After thirty years in the entertainment industry I don't need to blow smoke up anyone's... uh, "in anyone's direction". So understand that when I'm complimenting you it's sincere, straight from the heart and based upon the opinion of a longtime industry professional.

Congrats on a great idea.

Best,

Jack

Jack first off thank you for the great praise. I appreaciate it more than you can know beacuse you are apart of the great MOTU Mytho's and are accepting my input into your creation. I was not a huge fan as a kid as you know as I wrote in the NA colums but as for the last few years accquired all the episodes and love it. And there are alot of people here who don't seem to get it and just dismiss it. Guys give it a shot its really good. Anyway I would love to do anything to get me somehow linked to this great MOTU mytho's. I really was thinking one day how to make Gwildor an acceptable character. I liked him for what he was worth but could easily make him more serious and more wise. And thought about the greatest MOTU weapon besides the Power Sword, The Cosmic Key. If people took the Cosmic Key more serious as a weapon then maybe they would take Gwildor more serious. Then it hit me NA. The Key can open portals to practically anytime, anywhere so why not the Tri-Solar Galaxy. It will not only bridge the 2 canons together but it will open the door to re-incorporate the NA storyline in the modern day time of the MOTUC Bio. It may just bring people to understand NA. And once they do I am sure they will not only give it half a chance but then it will be easier to write the characters into the Bio's.

If there is anything I can do to help to bring this to reality Jack please let me know. It would be an honor to be linked to MOTU forever.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Sorry for this but I disagree. I absolutely hate the Gwildor character and to make him seem important is not necessary to me. This is why I didn't comment on BAA's thread. The movie was okay and I don't want figures of the characters. I'm not saying don't make them it, if I get stuck with 1 I will sell it.
    You can hate King Randor, but he is the ruler of eternia, you can hate Adam, but he is alter ego of Heman and you can hate Gwildor but he is the inventor of the Cosmic Key. He is an important character and I want a MOTUC Gwildor!
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    While I feel the Gwildor/Cosmic Key angle could help integrate NA and MOTU and support Mattel reading this thread and considering this angle for the MOTUC NA character bios, I don't support the evil-MAA proposed NA season 2 scenario.

It is great to see Mr Olesker here, still enjoying the world of MOTU and interacting with fans but I cannot support his vision in this regard. There are so few heroes in life, literature and the silver screen that are genuine straight, positive clean-skin role models. Even the remarkable Tiger Woods has fallen of late.

Please Mattel, if you are reading this, protect your brand investment and resist the urge to go all gritty and 'realistic' with the MOTU heroes. Just my 2c.
    Understood. It's difficult to see our heroes fall from grace. Ah, but when they battle with personal demons, overcome them and rise again they show the true stuff of heroism, I think. Darth Vader and Alec Guinness' character in BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI are but two examples of heroes who made bad choices yet redeemed themselves in the end.

This is a fun thread -- fan interaction at its best. I'm off for a full day in post-production on a documentary I recently produced. I'll catch up with all of you later.

"All heaven rejoices for a lost lamb returned to the fold" and after his travails, MAA ultimately would return, would have learned and would be more heroic than ever.

Id rather it were King Hiss than Man-At-Arms who takes over Eternia but otherwise I love the idea. It is interesting to think of MAA turning a bit evil without realising it because he thinks he is doing all he can to protect Eternia after He-man abandons them though.
    Would be great to continue from the old cartoons or even conclude them in a one off DVD or special like G.I. Joe resolute and Turtles Forever.
    It would be nice to finally see MOTU and NA really coming together and having the series linked in a deeper way than we got to see in the first ep of NA.

I can understand why people hate Gwildor. I hate alot of silly comedy characters like him in other media but for some reason I have always had a soft spot for Gwildor. Orko and Kowl too.
    Last edited by Rodster6; January 21, 2010 at 09:28am.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    As I've been reading some of this (topics discussing New Adventures, the Man-At-Arms "betrayal" etc.), a couple of ideas popped into my head:

1. What some people see as evil or wrong may not seem so to someone else.
    2. Martial Law.

If something happened to Randor & Marlena when Adam and Adora weren't able to assume command (busy battling on Primus and Etheria, respectively), I would presume Man-At-Arms would be the next in the chain of command. Maybe he doesn't rule as he wants to, but how he has to... and it spirals from there. Sounds like ripe pickings for a crafty evil spirit to take advantage of.
    But She-Ra was mentioned as part of it. If Adora's around, she's either second or first in line to the throne ANYWAY (I put them in that order because royal lineages often put sons ahead of daughters in the line to the throne, even if the daughters are born first - and we don't actually know which of Adam and Adora were technically born first to start with).

Ergo, if she's there-as-stated & Randor and Adam are dead and/or missing, she's by rights either Princess Regent (if Randor's alive but incapacitated, *or* Randor's dead *and* Adam is ahead of her *and* Adam is missing) or Queen (if Randor's dead and she's ahead of Adam in the pecking order). I really don't get the idea of the "tripartite" rule that leads a chauvinist M@A to try and overthrow them anyway. [I don't really get the idea that if She-Ra's there, they need He-Man himself so specifically either, that said...]

The Cosmic Key could bridge in POP and Etheira as well if they wanted to go that route as well.

I just re-read adoras Bio and it really doesnt say that she is in the MOTUC world in the now. So maybe She-Ra's bio could clarify how the POP characters are involved.

But again the Cosmic Key could be one of the most influencial and powerful weapons in the MOTU world if they saw the potenial it really has. And use Gwildor in the way he should be used in a wise elder type character.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    You can hate King Randor, but he is the ruler of eternia, you can hate Adam, but he is alter ego of Heman and you can hate Gwildor but he is the inventor of the Cosmic Key. He is an important character and I want a MOTUC Gwildor!
    To you maybe, the cosmic key hasn't really been used since the movie nor has the Gwildor character. I didn't like the movie that much, he looked like he was a spare costume left over from the movie "LEGEND" and his voice was a little irritating to me. I not saying I am shooting down BAA and Olesker's whole idea, but I don't think that this will help make NA excepted by haters. I do kinda-sorta like the idea of He-Man returning to an Eternia run by a bad MAA, but I would like it if he had some motivation like Teela dying in He-Man's absence, then I could see MAA being angry and taking over the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    The Cosmic Key could bridge in POP and Etheira as well if they wanted to go that route as well.

I just re-read adoras Bio and it really doesnt say that she is in the MOTUC world in the now. So maybe She-Ra's bio could clarify how the POP characters are involved.

But again the Cosmic Key could be one of the most influencial and powerful weapons in the MOTU world if they saw the potenial it really has. And use Gwildor in the way he should be used in a wise elder type character.
    The movie ruined my perception of this character, granted Gwildor is very intelligent. To make him a serious character seems like you're completely rewriting his character.
    Last edited by kagamigod; January 21, 2010 at 11:10am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    To me, Gwildor was kind of the opposite of Orko. He was a creature of science and had little taste for magic. I have it in my head that Gwildor and Orko wouldn't like each other much and would probably argue. Of course they would help each other and He-man out, but there was always that opposite view points between them.

I don't want to dismiss magic by having the cosmic key opening the way to NA times and other things. I would use the cosmic key as a story element. I remeber Gwildor saying, "Opening a dimensional door is relatively easy." It was calculating the coordinates that was the trick.

I see the NA as a He-man side adventure. He-man went off to the future with Skeletor and stayed there for a time, but both came back without missing that much time.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERHEMANMIKE View Post
    Sure it can. At the end of the movie, Gwildor offers to send Julie and Keven back to their planet's past or ahead to the future. Julie says "just send us home" but Gwildor decides to send them back to before Julie's parents were killed.

This sounds like a great idea to me. I'm all for any way of bringing in Gwildor. He's my one of my favorite characters and my most wanted figure!
    argh YES ! You have RIGHT !!!!

I'm in big favor of Gwildor and the Cosmic Key being used to bridge MOTU and NA together. I love it. However, rather than MAA be "evil," I'd like to see it as he strongly disagrees with the solution that She-Ra, Sorceress, and Teela use to deal with the problem.

Antoehr question it begs, is - Who is in charge of Snake Mountain while Skeletor is gone? Who has kidnapped the King & Queen. I think we all know it has to be Evil-Lyn running things while Skeletor is away. And does Skeletor and the Mutants come back via the Cosmic Key? Does Gwildor later summon the Galactic Guardians' aid to help in the fight against a returned Skeletor who now commands not only all the Evil Warriors of Snake Mountain, but also the Mutants of Denebria?
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

In an Island off the coast of The Evergreen Forrest
    Id love if brianatarms, and Jack O's story develops into a novel, tv series, dvd movie or comics!! making sense of it all!! Im happy with the motuc bios and story, but this would take it one step further as a whole. Motuc fans unite!!!

I would not want the Mutants under Skeletors command by this point. At the end of NA they parted ways and i like the idea of the Mutants being an independant group of baddies like the Horde and Snake Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I would not want the Mutants under Skeletors command by this point. At the end of NA they parted ways and i like the idea of the Mutants being an independant group of baddies like the Horde and Snake Men.
    I like this too. Mutants would make a nice addition to the side of evil.

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    I have to admit, I'm a bit sketchy on the details of the 87 movie, as I haven't seen in it in a very long time, but this is a very good idea of how to bring all the different eras together.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    The movie ruined my perception of this character, granted Gwildor is very intelligent. To make him a serious character seems like you're completely rewriting his character.
    Gwildor was very serious in the movie, sure he had his Orko moments but I saw him more as quirky then foolish.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Didn't Toyguru say at one point that the character biographies were all written well in advance? I almost want to say that I remember him saying that the biographies have all been written (could be wrong- will have to do some digging on that)... ??? Not that Toyguru always says the gospel truth, lol...

I like the idea of the cosmic key bringing He-Man back to Eternia.

The idea of Man-at-Arms turning evil is terrible (IMO, and I say that with love).

First off, I really enjoyed the NA cartoon, and I think that Jack is a very talented writer. I've frequented the NA forums many times and I enjoy his posts and many of his ideas, but unfortunately I have to say that outside of the idea of bringing the story back to Eternia in the unrealized second season of the cartoon, I wasn't too keen on all the rest.

The thing is... Man-at-Arms doesn't have a Judas or Lucifer bone in his body (I am using the religious references, because Olesker has mentioned that he used elements from Christianity to help him set the story up within his head). I don't want to veer the conversation into Tar Swamp territory by any means by bringing up religion. With that being said, though I'm personally not religious, I did enjoy the NA cartoon. I watched the first few episodes again last night, and with Jack's comments in mind, I was noticing a subtle tinge of religious allegories and parallels (Drissi and Caz being shepherds, the biblical costumes/dress of Sebrian and many of Primus' inhabitants, the "angelic" inner council, several bits of "our prayers will be with you" dialogue and so on). I don't know if all of that was intentional, or if it just happened to come across that way, but I definitely picked up on it when I watched the episodes again. Alas, I digress...

There are certain things that particular characters would never do. It just simply isn't within Duncan's character. Blanche from A Streetcar Named Desire would never just go out and find employment on her own. Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights would never do anything but demean and abuse Cathy (Catherine's daughter). In terms of cartoons or toys, Garfield would never love spiders or forever swear off Lasagna. The Joker would never send Batman a Valentine (unless it was one that explodes or spews acid).

My point is, a character has certain traits and a certain way of thinking/ a certain personality, and he/she operates within those boundaries. No matter what situation comes up, a character will operate within a certain range. A writer has to be aware of those boundaries in order to present a character to the audience that acts in a convincing way.

If Duncan were a completely original character created by Jack, I'd be more willing to go along with it. Otherwise, no.

Lastly, again, I think Olesker is a wonderful and talented person, and I don't want to come across as raining on anyone's parade. *A hug for Olesker*
    Last edited by River; January 21, 2010 at 01:44pm. Reason: typo

Why couldn't it be Zodac set the events of He-Man going to Primus and cak into motion? Seeing as he is supposed to keep the balance in the universe, maybe he saw things on Primus falling to evil, he possibly could suggested to Sebrian look into the past for a hero.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    i know that there are some weird scientists in NA.

would it be cool to have gwildor actually be part of THAT canon, and have him open the gateway from THERE.........