Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could the SKY SLED realistically make it to the MOTUC line?

Classic & 200X fan
    I'd buy 4, no question.
    big geek

Quote Originally Posted by ByThePowerOf... View Post
    If the Horsemen just updated the vintage Sky Sled......
    Just for clarification sake, the Horsemen don't redesign or build/fabricate the vehicles or playsets (not that they couldn't). They are far too busy designing, sculpting, & fabricating the figures and accessories (for 4 different toy lines and possible new line protos for licensing submission). All of the vehiclces and playsets in the 200x line were fabed by either Mattel's model shop or another freelance studio.

That being said I'd love to see the Sky-sled. The Battle-Ram was my favorite vehicle when I was little because it could split into 2 vehicles, the sled getting the most use.

I'm all for this.
    Good people to trade with!:
    Son of Keldor, He-Ryno, Zovex (x3), KingKahn, miscus555, Kaijukilla, Gigatron, big_truk_convoy, Andrea the Cat, Bigassbuzz (x2), Dawg88, zodak74 (x2), pistolpete1969, sandrockgundam04, Rexplode, TekkamanSol, Lay Ze-Man, djblizzard, brock_snyder, Spikewolfe, rocky_raccoon, Zordak, npbaity, JeMaBo2,

Yeah I'd buy at least 2 and IF it was a complete vehicle together I'd still buy 2 together.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafos View Post
    I'd buy 4, no question.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Quote Originally Posted by Oz-Scott View Post
    The sky sled was just two pieces of plastic stuck together... Maybe they could make it that way again and pack the halves in with figures... Like, left side with Ram Man, right side with Man-E-Faces. Buy the two figures, rip em open, then just clip the two sky sled halves together..
    This is a great idea!

Take note Matty!!!
    Good people to trade with!:
    Son of Keldor, He-Ryno, Zovex (x3), KingKahn, miscus555, Kaijukilla, Gigatron, big_truk_convoy, Andrea the Cat, Bigassbuzz (x2), Dawg88, zodak74 (x2), pistolpete1969, sandrockgundam04, Rexplode, TekkamanSol, Lay Ze-Man, djblizzard, brock_snyder, Spikewolfe, rocky_raccoon, Zordak, npbaity, JeMaBo2,

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Sure, I think the Sky Sled could be released in the MOTUC line. Would I buy one? Hell no! It was the worse vehicle ever released in the entire Masters line and that's including POP, NA and 200X. They couldn't give those things away and I'm sure everyone here would agree with me being that I am the most sane and lucid individual on this board.

No, I'm kidding. I'd love a Sky Sled (especially if it was a complete Battle Ram). You guys can put out those torches and slowly drop your pitchforks.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; January 22, 2010 at 12:08pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

It would sell like hotcakes. Mattel would be stupid not to make them.

Heroic Classics Warrior Gerrit127's Avatar
    This will be amazing!!! I would buy three at least!

This video even has an animated short with the sky sled in it... very cool.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...nivers.fr.html

I think making a Sky Sled would be a great idea. I think it would be smart if they made it in a way that would allow them to attach it to a Battle-Ram if they decided to make one eventually. I also think it would be a good idea for them to make a dettachable 200x back for it. That way, 200x fans could have that version, and vintage fans could simply leave it off. It would also give them a connector piece to the Sky Sled that could be implemtned into the Battle-Ram.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

I love the animation in that advert. Cool seeing Teela using the Godess staff too!

i'd love a couple jet sleds!!!
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

A natural choice for a Classics accessory: Sky Sleds

Understandably, the focus of Classics thus far has been on characters and beasts. Though the vehicles of the Masters of the Universe line were delightful, they tended to rely on gimmicks and thus would require too much engineering for a collectors' oriented line such as this.

However when watching a few episodes of the Filmation 'toon lately something struck me. The front portion of the Battle Ram, the "Sky Sled," was not treated as just a part of the Battle Ram. In fact these were shown in various Masters of the Universe fiction as something that was mass-produced, which everyone and their brother flew around on.

The construction on these is dog-simple. No moving parts, and aside from perhaps updating the sculpt a little all that would really be needed to produce one for Classics would be making it bigger, so that it's scaled to the proper figures.

As a result you have an accessory that is cheap to design and produce, requiring a single sprue comprised of just the two halves of the vehicle, clamshelled together and treated to some very minor paint applications. This is also an accessory that is not associated directly with any one character, or even with either faction. Literally just something Mattel could offer and you could buy to display with any Classics figure you own.

This is, in my mind, untapped potential.

80sMasters.com freespeach Brian Ozone's Avatar
    I have said it many times that this is the vechile to make. Both sides can use it and its small enough so shipping will not be so much.

I 'd like at least 10 of them. It would be the first time I would buy 10.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Agreed. Mattel could produce 2 versions: blue heroic with eagle head and purple evil with ram skull head as per Skeletor's Havok staff. Imagine if these babies came with pack-in Palace Guard figure? Sweet!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    I'm not entirely sure how usable a hollow "clamshell" sky sled would be - if you tried to position a figure on such a light object the way it was ridden in the Filmation cartoon, it would fall over. Repeatedly. It would need a weighted base (and possibly counterweighted, if the means were included to let you position it in a flying pose) to avoid that.

At this point, the line is a big success ("paying for itself 5 times over," that's a Toy Fair quote).

We need to stop worrying about tooling costs. This is Mattel. They have the budget and whatever they'd charge for the Sky Sled would more than payfor tooling. They like to make their tooling expenses sound excrutiatingly expensive and a high risk so they can justify charging us upwards of $20 per item.

$20. Remember that. It isn't cheap.

To be honest, I see them releasing the entire Battle Ram and revealing it at SDCC. The back half won't have the action feature, and could be made in the same way you've described the sled being made.

Matty's needsto stop crying "poor house," and give us reasonably priced vehicles and playsets.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Oh, don't get me wrong here. I'd love a full Classics-scaled Battle Ram. There's just a certain army-building quality to the Sky Sleds in the fiction, though.

I've been wanting those things for my MOTUCs so I picked up an ML Wonder Man from a comic book store just for his hoverbike. It looks okay for MAA but Teela can't ride it due to the restrictions of her costume.

They should make the sky sleds though maybe as a set of two and I'd buy multiples.