Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Story behind Disco Skeletor

I could see it as an attempt to make him more "clothed," but why change his face color? That, I never understood.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

i saw disco skelly NUMBEROUS times here in ny, nyc times square had a whole mess of them iirc, along side smash blades
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I'm thinking 'shrooms.
    If they were THAT good, I'm thinking those 'shrooms ought to be the subscription incentive for the 2011 MOTUC subscription.

Dude, I'm like looking at you... and you're all... like orange-faced... and um, and um... Crap what was I gonna say!? OH YEAH!! You've got this wicked gold armor, but it looks so stupid because like your chest is all blue and glowing.

Oh yeah? Get this... Um, you know how like everyone was laughing at you in that harness? You know, they were saying you looked all gay and stuff like that guy in the sneakers for the tumbling routine? You know? You know what I'm talking about? Well, now your outfit kinda looks like it's in the same style as what Napolen Dynamite wore in that... Dude, what was the name of that movie!? You know, the one where it was two dudes skating? Yeah, YEAH! That one! It's like you're Figure Skater Armor He-Man and not Snake Armor. (stares into space for five minutes with He-Man) Oh dude, look at those colors on that Songster dude. WHOA!

I think he's awesome... especially the orange face. At the time Mattel was doing way too much black wash on Skeletor, and his face went from yello to almost all black... I would love to know what they were thinking back then. Fruity Pebbles Skeletor had a face you could actually see... My kids LOVE him... But who knows, Mattel mad a lot of dumb decisions regarding 200x... that was the hardest toyline to collect, man it frustrated me, I love getting the CLassics delivered to my door every month... that's the way to do it!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

You know, now I think I'll refer to him as Jersey Shore Skeletor. Fake tan that makes his face orange, and tacky amounts of gold worn over his black polypro workout jumpsuit and satin shirt.
    The cowl hood covers it up, but underneath - he's got a new haircut.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

I want to know, is how Val and Emil. were going to write it into the comics!

They had a plan apparently

Court Magician Battle Cat's Buddy's Avatar
    i remember seeing 'disco' skeletor everywhere- i reckon he must be the worst MOTU figure ever- so, so ugly - and i defend a lot of the less popular figures! toward the end of the line, there were loads of unsold disco skeletors everywhere round where i live. loads. i nearly caved in and got one for novelty value as they were selling them off for pennies.

i didn't- but did get the weird snake man skeletor with squeeze arms AND the matching panthor at bargain basement prices. when i first got home i was like 'why the hell did i just do that, they're rubbish ' but now i've grown to love them and they sit proudly beside my telly by my bed!!

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    Yet Skelly still has his blue hands and feet lol.
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

I'm still holding out for the MVC story for this Skeletor repaint. Come on guys...Emil are you reading this?
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I remember Kay Bee back in the day being cluttered with those. I always wondered who was the guy that thought of this figure? It never made sense to me. If they were going to get creative, I always wondered why didn't they do a gold Skeletor? Like at the climax of Masters of the Universe movie.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    I seem to remember that Val once said somewhere that there was a cool story planned for "Disco" Skeletor at one point, but wasn't able to fill us all in on what it was. I asked him if there was a story for "Blood" Skeletor, but he said "No".

Widget
    maybe disco skeletor is just a nod to the golden skeletor from thr movie

I'd personally love a remix for MOTUC. I'm really wishing I bought one when I had the chance. It was so goofy, yet cool .
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I can't believe some of you like that. It's an abomination, IMO.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    I can't believe some of you like that. It's an abomination, IMO.
    I second this comment. He's the would-be evil ruler of the universe. He's got to show a little taste in his wardrobe for crying out loud.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 6, 2010 at 12:13pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I caught my dog eating Disco Skeletors foot. He actually climbed onto the sofa and plucked him off the shelf. What a way to go.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    If I can get a Classics version of Disco Skeletor, I'll gladly give Matty a blank check.
    Should've gotten this instead of Mighty Spector or Sir Laser Lot

Heroic Podcaster
    I'd be surprised if they didn't try this - it's only a repaint, no new parts whatsoever.
    QUEEN ANGELLA! - BLAST ATTAK! - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - Flying Fists He-Man
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MULTI-BOT! - NINJOR! - Peekablue
    Perfuma - Rotar - Saurod - SSSQUEEZE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Twistoid

Widget
    This figure alone was the final nail in the coffin of this line. I loath this figure. Of all the ridiculous variants and repaints this figure stood above them all.
    Someone on the old 4hm boards told me that just because I don't like it does not mean it is a bad figure.
    I will agree with that.
    The fact that it did not seem to sell a single unit and remained on the pegs for months in the same quantity means it is a bad figure. This figure alone best sums up why this line died.
    EVERYONE involved on managing this line should have been fired. I loved this line (hate hate hate the look of the new classics line), and still a bit sad about it.
    I'm not bitter at all though

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Wasn't Ruben working on the 200X line at that time? That may be our answer......

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Unfortunatly yes- and never once picked him up (and I have no regrets either )

JAG2045
    Yeah I remember seeing tons of that figure over and over back in 2003

For every Disco Skeletor there was a Green Trap-Jaw.

The universe balances itself.
    Seppuku, Ordet, Bad Day at Black Rock, Red Beard, Johnny Guitar, Children of Paradise, The Seventh Seal, I Know Where I'm Going!, Barton Fink, Point Blank, Barry Lyndon, A Nous La Liberte, Young Frankenstein, Only God Forgives, The Leopard

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    One of my favorite repaints of all time. I really don't know why, it's such a bizarre look. Maybe he's the Faker of Skeletor.

Just groovy!

It's such a ridiculous figure it's cool. I didn't buy him untill he was on stupid sale at kb's for like 50 cents. But I don't hate it and I don't love it it's just there.

Now the MOTUC factor...if they made him down the line awesome. If they make him before all the core figures are made then I'll be ****** off. But later down the line I'd like to read his bio.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I wish I knew the story behind this figure although I have heard numerous rumors (all mentioned earlier in the post) I always called him acid trip skeletor and raver skeletor, never really used the disco nomenclature until recently when that kind of became the official name for him. I saw him all over the place, especially in toys r us stores in the NY area, most abundantly at toys r us times square. I probably would have bought him had I ever seen him hit 1.90 like smash blade heman/skeletor did, but I never saw him drop that low, so I never bought him, not that I care, because I don't, I think he was hideous and represented so much negative about the line, including being the reason, in my eyes, for the line ending (final nail type of thing)
    I would love to one day hear about the story val had planned for em

With that being said, I would think it absolutely hysterical if the very final classics figure WAS in fact a disco skeletor variant. He could come with a disco ball accessory that was a "doomsday weapon" where the bio discusses his bringing about an end of the universe once and for all, etc etc.

Either way, love him or hate him, this figure has not, nor will he ever, be forgotten to the sands of time among toy collectors.
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!