Thread: Filmation infringement?

Filmation infringement?

Ok, I think this is important enough to start a new thread, and it might be a good general thread to discuss, or find info on what can or can't be used that might have been in the Filmation toon (because characters like Marlena CAN be used, just not in the same colored dress...)

My main point in bringing this thread up is:

Is Matty making a big mistake naming Evil-Lyn "Evelyn Morgan Powers" when that was her name in the Filmation Bible?

I thought Filmation was "off limits?"

Is there any difference between a written name and an image or character in general when it comes to the rights being held by Boomerang Media?

I think I have to assume that Mattel DOES have the rights now to the Filmation catalogue. How else could they have done this?

And, it can't be because of that non-Mattel produced book either... TG said no other media except the MYP Cartoon, The vintage toy-lines, and the mini-comics...
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Well, short answer: Just because that name appeared in the Filmation bible doesn' t mean it originated with Filmation, does it?
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

The Filmation bible and the MotU Style Guide are getting confused here. They are 2 different things.
    Good people to trade with!:
    Son of Keldor, He-Ryno, Zovex (x3), KingKahn, miscus555, Kaijukilla, Gigatron, big_truk_convoy, Andrea the Cat, Bigassbuzz (x2), Dawg88, zodak74 (x2), pistolpete1969, sandrockgundam04, Rexplode, TekkamanSol, Lay Ze-Man, djblizzard, brock_snyder, Spikewolfe, rocky_raccoon, Zordak, npbaity, JeMaBo2,

No, I guess it could have originated with Mattel.

But everyone is saying that Evelyn Powers came from Filmation.

Did it also appear in the MOTU style guide? If so, then the name is fine

I just wish it weren't... lol

not because i want them to have any legal trouble, just because i wish it would change.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Perhaps the law firm of Evelyn, Morgan, & Powers can help sort this out.

The name came from an early Mattel story bible that has not been released to the public. (although it was on display at SDCC if anyone took pictures!). Filmation picked up on it along with many other Mattel created concepts from the line.

What we won't be doing is Filmtation created characters like Lizard Man or Shadow Weaver. It is the characters was created specifically for Filmation episodes we won't touch. If a character originated with Mattel, it can be part of the Classics line.

TG

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Toy-Guru would it not be beneficial to list who is able to be produced for the MOTUC line, currently.

It may stop all the can they be produced, why can they not be produced questions that litter a lot of forums and posts.

True saying we can not make Filmation characters at this time helps, but we get this problem of where names originated.

It doesn't spoil anything in the future as we won't see what they look like.

Just a thought.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Hi TG, you must be exhausted answering and re-answering these kinds of questions but I'm glad you are. I guess I'm wondering why in general its so difficult to get the property rights to characters like Lizard Man and Shadow Weaver. I'm guessing b/c they belong to Filmation but what is Filmation doing with them?? It kinda seems like they'd prefer to keep these characters hidden and dormant if the price isn't right...is that anywhere close to what's going on here?
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The name came from an early Mattel story bible that has not been released to the public. (although it was on display at SDCC if anyone took pictures!). Filmation picked up on it along with many other Mattel created concepts from the line.

What we won't be doing is Filmtation created characters like Lizard Man or Shadow Weaver. It is the characters was created specifically for Filmation episodes we won't touch. If a character originated with Mattel, it can be part of the Classics line.

TG
    I think there is a lot of confusion about this last part. Shadow Weaver and Lizard Man were created specifically for Filmation episodes, which implies they were not going to be figures in the original lines, either. That may be where so many fans don't understand. We are working under the assumption that they were planned and never made, not created specifically for Filmation only.

We've posted this before but here we go again: (*sigh)

We will be doing figures in MOTUC that had figures in the original MOTU, POP and NA lines, figures from the Mini comics (i.e. Goddess) figures that were original to or had major redesigns on the 2002 series (i.e. Adam, Randor, Evil Lyn, etc...) and figures who had unmade prototypes in the vintage lines (i.e. He-Ro, Star Sisters, etc...). If a figure had a redesign in the 2002 series we will most likely do the original toy version first, but that is not a hard rule.

All of the figures will be done in the "Classics style" meaning we are looking at the original toy first and updating it with modern detail and articulation. The marching orders to the Horsemen are to make these figures as if it was in the 1980's with today's technology and standards. If a figure did not have a toy in the 1980s (like say, Lord Dactus) the Horsemen would create that character as if it did have a 1980s toy (using shared parts, repainted weapons etc...) and "update it" to the Classics look. We may throw in some "2002" details (such as Webstor's extra arms) but for the most part we are talking classic toy look. There will be no action features. We may replicate features like giving He-Man swap-able battle armor panels or Webstor a rope, but they won't work like action features. It is just too expensive and we want to save tooling for new heads and weapons!

We will not be doing characters created by Filmation for the series (i.e. Shadow Weaver, Strong Arm, etc...). As for why we do not just "get the rights" that is not information we can share at this time. We're well aware of fan demand for these characters and it would be fun to include them, but it is just not something we have rights to at the moment. If that changes you can be sure we will let all the fans know!

TG

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    We've posted this before but here we go again: (*sigh)

We will be doing figures in MOTUC that had figures in the original MOTU, POP and NA lines, figures from the Mini comics (i.e. Goddess) figures that were original to or had major redesigns on the 2002 series (i.e. Adam, Randor, Evil Lyn, etc...) and figures who had unmade prototypes in the vintage lines (i.e. He-Ro, Star Sisters, etc...). If a figure had a redesign in the 2002 series we will most likely do the original toy version first, but that is not a hard rule.

All of the figures will be done in the "Classics style" meaning we are looking at the original toy first and updating it with modern detail and articulation. The marching orders to the Horsemen are to make these figures as if it was in the 1980's with today's technology and standards. If a figure did not have a toy in the 1980s (like say, Lord Dactus) the Horsemen would create that character as if it did have a 1980s toy (using shared parts, repainted weapons etc...) and "update it" to the Classics look. We may throw in some "2002" details (such as Webstor's extra arms) but for the most part we are talking classic toy look. There will be no action features. We may replicate features like giving He-Man swap-able battle armor panels or Webstor a rope, but they won't work like action features. It is just too expensive and we want to save tooling for new heads and weapons!

We will not be doing characters created by Filmation for the series (i.e. Shadow Weaver, Strong Arm, etc...). As for why we do not just "get the rights" that is not information we can share at this time. We're well aware of fan demand for these characters and it would be fun to include them, but it is just not something we have rights to at the moment. If that changes you can be sure we will let all the fans know!

TG
    Scott, I know it's irritating saying the same things, but sometimes the fans NEED to be reminded what MOTUC is.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    ToyGuru

Don't despair, it'll be worth it.

I'm going to post this on my MOTUC fan page on Facebook now, and I suggest anyone who has a similar page, account, website should do the same. It would just be a good idea so everyone knows what to expect and not keep asking.

In theory.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

If a figure had a redesign in the 2002 series we will most likely do the original toy version first, but that is not a hard rule.
    I kinda wish this was a hard rule....

Sallah

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Toy-Guru would it not be beneficial to list who is able to be produced for the MOTUC line, currently.

It may stop all the can they be produced, why can they not be produced questions that litter a lot of forums and posts.

True saying we can not make Filmation characters at this time helps, but we get this problem of where names originated.

It doesn't spoil anything in the future as we won't see what they look like.

Just a thought.

Well, we can help at that if Toyguru is willing to help us
    If someone want to start a thread entitled something like "characters that can be made and character that can't" then list a whole lot of names in the first post, I'll be more than happy to keep editing the post moving each name in the proper categry. I should be able to tell exactly who is possible and who's not, and if Scott wants, from time to time he can chime in and fix any mistake I may make, what do you say Scott?
    Id' also add notes to those character where new info have resurfaced that may make them feasible ('cause they originated at Mattel), like Octavia, Colonel Blast, Dylamug, etc.
    Probably better to put them in a "currently researching" category
    Who's opening the thred and start adding names?