Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Ratio of Representation will change?

Do you think the Ratio of Representation will change?

I was just listing all the POP characters I'd like to see in this line and it got me realizing - if the ratio of representation stays the same as far as POP and NA characters per year goes...it'll be like...a decade before we see all the biggest POP characters in the line.

Obviously, He-Man characters fuel the line, and as it continues on there will probably be more variations on He-Man and Skeletor, etc...but do you think there will come a time when one year is 50% POP figures, 40% MOTU figures and 10% NA figures? Or some other percentage? Do you see NA becoming more present in one year? Or do you feel the Horseman and Mattel will try to keep MOTU dominant?

This isn't a "boo hoo - He-Man always gets more representation!" question. Just me wondering if there might come a year when we see Glimmer, Bow, Catra and Swiftwind all within 12 months...

Hmmm. Honestly, I don't want to wait for three more years to get the core characters from POP and NA... but it seems that 90% of the fandom are fine with it. Why? Because the current flow of NEW figures is preferred over other potential strategies.

Unfortunately, unless Mattel starts putting out new characters as bonus figures we will never see many of these cameo favorites of ours. That's not to say all of them (we got the Goddess, for example), but POP fans may never see the Star Sisters, Sweet Bee, Peekablue, etc. NA fans may never see most of the Galactic heroes, and many of the unique bad guys.

The current ratio, when looked at in perspective, is actually very nice...

12 New Character Figures
    Beast Releases
    4 A-Lister Variants
    1 SDCC Exclusive (hopefully sold on Matty afterward, like He-Ro)

... So, I shouldn't complain too much. But changing the ratio of representation could conceivably be a risky move when we are looking at only 12 monthly figures.

The best hope for more representation of anything not 1982-1987 MOTU is in the exclusives and bonuses. When you consider how many slots there are annually, you will realize that POP and NA (not to mention 200X) will have to continue trickling in.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

As we move closer to some of the harder-to-do characters, I think there might be a natural shift to higher POP numbers. For some reason I think we'll probably top out at 4 POP characters a year with maybe 1 bonus.

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel is going to stick with what's safe and have the core He-Man characters drive the line. There are a lot of great PoP and NA characters to choose from, but I think that one to two from each of those lines is what we'll get each year. I enjoyed the Filmation PoP, but the toys were not really my cup of tea (they were more dolls than action figures, and, being a boy, I wasn't into them. I did have She-Ra because you had to have She-Ra to fight the evil Horde!). I think that Mattel will only make the most popular characters that they have the rights to from those lines because the lesser ones will not sell well enough. After Adora, the only PoP ones that I want are She-Ra, Bow, Kowl, and maybe Glimmer. Any other characters would have to have really cool designs from the 4H and would have to have compelling bios. Unfortunately for fans of the lesser characters from PoP and NA, they will most likely never see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As we move closer to some of the harder-to-do characters, I think there might be a natural shift to higher POP numbers. For some reason I think we'll probably top out at 4 POP characters a year with maybe 1 bonus.
    Well, that's a good point. The standard female buck is used for ALL of the POP figures, except for Bow and the sidekicks. It would be smart to maximize profits with that girly buck to help offset costs of, say, RAM MAN...!!!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

I`m sure we will eventually hit a time where there are more Pop and NA figs left to do than MOTU. give it a few years and I think this is a very likely scenario

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Well, the line is projected to last until 2016, apparently (presumably, that's not including Filmation-only characters, just minicomic, toy and MYP). To get all the She-Ra characters in within that timeframe, even with those limits, they'd have to speed up at SOME point.

I still say the breakdown each year should be 2 NA, 2 POP, 2 200X, 2 mini-comic only and 4 from the classic line.

Bonus figures and exclusives could be from anywhere
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior
    Unless the line goes to retail I really doubt we will see to many "oddball secondary" characters. I think they will make most of the MOTU line with about 10-20% of the POP. NA & 200x lines

Unless they started geting more People to get exclusives (Entertainment Earth, Diamond, BBTS, TRU Or Wally world)

I suspect we might get 3 POP figures this year and 2 NA. We know She-Ra is coming, but if they release her between June and August, there's still time to release another POP character later like Glimmer, Catra, or Angella
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

I hope we get at least 3 POP figures this year!

JAN. Adora!
    AUG. Bow!
    DEC. She-Ra!

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    I don't like PoP, I like NA a little more. For me two PoP characters plus two more NA would be ok
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Adam - you honestly want to wait until NEXT CHRISTMAS for She-Ra? Crazy man....

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    When I was trying to figure out how many figures it takes to get to 2016, and how many figures were released in the MOTU, POP, and NA series.. It seemed to me they'd have to release all of them from each. Now, with 2009 and early 2010 being very MOTU heavy.. I think in coming months and years they need to make more NA and POP in ratio to MOTU.

I think 2010 will have 3 POP and 1 NA. Then starting in 2011, I think we'll get 3 POP and 3 NA each year (unless 1 or 2 200X characters are released that year). I then believe we'll see 6 MOTU every year starting in 2011.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I truly hope that (unless they're Bonus Figures) the ratio doesn't change.

Being stuck w Adora and Optikk is bad enough...

I'm not anti-POP/NA fans getting what they want, just make it a Bonus so Subscribers that don't want them aren't forced to buy them.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I truly hope that (unless they're Bonus Figures) the ratio doesn't change.

Being stuck w Adora and Optikk is bad enough...

I'm not anti-POP/NA fans getting what they want, just make it a Bonus so Subscribers that don't want them aren't forced to buy them.
    With Adora selling out in 27 minutes, it looks as if you may indeed be a minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    With Adora selling out in 27 minutes, it looks as if you may indeed be a minority.
    Fine. If so many people want them, they should have no problem justifying the cost of making them Bonus figures.

I maintain my assertion that Adora/She-Ra will be embraced my almost all MOTU fans. However, I still believe that unless they are made part of the Subscription, the other POP characters will not sell out as fast as either Goddess or Zodak.

Again, just my personal preference and a wish that I know will never come true. I've resigned myself that to get Wun-Dar, I have to eat a little poo (i.e. Optikk).

I'm over it. Not being combative. Just saying.
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    The current ratio, when looked at in perspective, is actually very nice...

12 New Character Figures
    Beast Releases
    4 A-Lister Variants
    1 SDCC Exclusive (hopefully sold on Matty afterward, like He-Ro)
    Don't forget about the subscription incentive. You never know, that could be a more difficult sculpt like possibly Peek-A-Blue or Mermista later on. That's if the trend continues with a figure like what we've got so far with Wun-Dar.

Peace.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Fine. If so many people want them, they should have no problem justifying the cost of making them Bonus figures.

I maintain my assertion that Adora/She-Ra will be embraced my almost all MOTU fans. However, I still believe that unless they are made part of the Subscription, the other POP characters will not sell out as fast as either Goddess or Zodak.

Again, just my personal preference and a wish that I know will never come true. I've resigned myself that to get Wun-Dar, I have to eat a little poo (i.e. Optikk).

I'm over it. Not being combative. Just saying.
    I know what you're saying. I'm not a big NA fan but I 'm glad people who like that cartoon will get the characters they love!!!

About what you say, I guess there will be a moment when there won't be any A-list characters left. Look at the Green Goddess, a character die hard MOTU fans have been speculating for YEEEARS... And she didn't sell very well despite being 'legendary' amongst fans. I don't think characters like Dragstor or Rio-Blast will sell out in 27 minutes, just like Flutterina or Peekaboo won't probably be on everyone's list.

So it's really a matter of A list characters versus less known characters, whatever the brand is. In POP, I think Shadow Weaver, any horde related character (Catra, Octavia, Scorpia) will instantly sell out. I think Bow, Glimmer and Frosta will do very well. I'm not sure about the other characters, just as I'm not sure about Rio Blast and Dragstor. I hope the line can continue thanks to these secondary characters, with a mixture of obscure cast list and major A-lists variants ( Snake Armor He-man etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I see two POP figures and 1 NA figure a year. We'll probably get other female figures besides POP ones, though.

I hope for a slight increase in PoP and NA now before Mattel starts to run out of "doable" Characters (by doable I refer to characters that only would require a headsculpt and armor and reusing the rest of the stock pieces.) Otherwise we'd be hearing complaints about Too much PoP and NA for the 201X subscriptions, when the only guys left are the ones that require too much tooling money and little reusability...

Think about this (Anti PoP crew): The sooner PoP is out of the way they can use the cash earned from the "girly dolls" to make Ram Man, King Hssss, Mantenna, etc.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I feel dirty for even thinking this, BUT:

I'd rather have NA He-Man and Skeletor than ANYTHING from POP!

Co-Creator of the NV
    I've thought about this as well. Assuming that this line does in fact continue for a few more years then I believe that it will absolutely have to change the rations because eventually they'll run out of MOTU characters. Thus far there have been quite a lot made and there are many more to come, but at this rate eventually they'll run out of unique MOTU chars and have a bunch of PoP and NA left to do. The only way I see the ratios not changing while still continuing the line for a few more years is if there are a lot of variants tossed into the regular figure releases.

Given the fact that there was a lot of partsharing in PoP, too and that all females in Classics will share the same buck I'm pretty sure we'll see more than a few characters as bonus figures.
    After all they're relatively cheap to produce for Mattel and thus a neat way to make some extra cash.

Personally I can't wait to get them all, especially a Filmation Catra.

"Never will forgive you, never leave you
    You know that if you live like, you will die like
    How can I erase your pain and aid you
    When Death wants to kiss you
    and you want to kiss him back..."

Sonata Arctica - "Sing in Silence"