Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Filmation" Power Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    one thing I'm really confused about though... if the power sword was split into two halves; and Adam can become He-man with his half, then what can Skeletor's half do? Why can't he call on the power of Grayskull with his half? maybe become He-tor (lol, evil master of fire)

in the old minicomics, Adam becomes He-man with his half of the sword, and in the menace of Trap-jaw they combine both halves to defeat him... so what can Skeletor do with his half of the sword?
    I'd like someone to explain this to me, because I'm going nuts trying to figure it out.
    the motuc bios claim MAA had to make the 200x sword so Adam could become He-man... (which I also totally disregard), but if i did go by that concept, then how would Adam be able to defend Eternia with out being able to become He-man? if he's carrying a useless half sword... then what's the point? i'm sure it must take a while for Duncan to forge another sword that may or may not work... leaving Eternia helpless in the meantime.

that's why i also disregard the whole swords split in half storyline too... it raises way too many questions. iMO if He-man has one half & skeletor has the other, then skeletor's half should be able to do something special just as Adam/He-man's does. why doesn't He-man just lay the smack down on Skeletor & take the other half from him? End of story...problem solved.
    Well, it helps if you take into account what came out when. Any time there's talk of two halves of the Power Sword there's no mention of Prince Adam, because the concept (far too similar to Captain Marvel, in my opinion) hadn't been introduced yet; the first 11 mini-comics (series 1 and 2). As soon as the concept of Prince Adam is introduced there is no more talk of the two halves of the Power Sword.

As for talk of the Skittle-colored swords... we haven't actually gotten a color we should have: fiery green!

http://www.he-man.org/publishing/ite...296&image=1814

He-Ro's blue Power Sword is an homage to the Blue Battle Armor He-Man Power Sword from the Weapons Pak. Plus, he brought it to Eternia; it can be whatever color he wants.

Skeletor's should be gray/silver, but I'm guessing part of the reason the original toy came with purple, just as Faker came with orange, due to the way the toys were manufactured in the early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post
    ...As an artist and 3d animator myself I can't stand the TF movie designs. Other than hardcore fans, most people can't tell which characters are fighting on screen...
    There are times when I'd consider myself a hardcore TF fan, but there are more times when I can't tell who's fighting on screen.

I just don't get the reasoning behind the nay sayers. Why not let those of us that want a Filmation sword get one?? All they have to do is take out the gem in Adora's. It's not like it would take sculpting time away from other figures.
    The Filmation sword would be a whole new tool as the one that comes with Adora is way too small for He-Man. As for your feelings toward the MYP toon, I agree to some extent. I didn't like the "30 feet jumps and blade twirling" and the voice acting for some of the characters - mainly Adam and He-Man. But you have to give credit where credit is due, MYP created a story for MOTU to follow and gave us history behind the Power Sword (try not to think of the 200X sword). In the Filmation cartoon there was an episode that the Soceress disappeared and Teela had to take her place. In that episode the Soceress and Teela spoke to the Spirit of Grayskull, since Filmation never really delved into any real back-story, whose to say that the Spirit in that episode wasn't good old King Grayskull.

I'm not saying MYP wasn't quality(although the 30ft leaps and sword twirling might prove otherwise).
    Filmation has it's share of 30 foot leaps and sword-twirling: breathing in space

Quote Originally Posted by MANGLORD View Post
    i'd definitely want one, i always liked that sword. i liked the tighter look of the sword. Since some asked, here is a pic to show the difference. i guess i prefer that one over the other but either power swords are fine with me. 2000s sword was an abomination
    why are some panties bunching over the thought?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...cosby/19-1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...by/004-1-1.jpg

i made the same style sword for my son's halloween costume.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...y/IMG_0614.jpg

Brother where did you get the pick for that real sword i so want that...that is nice hit me back asap!!!!

That is opinion.

I'm not saying MYP wasn't quality(although the 30ft leaps and sword twirling might prove otherwise). My main point was just because people like MYP doesn't mean we can't have a Filmation sword.

I just don't get the reasoning behind the nay sayers. Why not let those of us that want a Filmation sword get one?? All they have to do is take out the gem in Adora's. It's not like it would take sculpting time away from other figures.
    Granted 30ft leaps and sword twirling might have been
    a tad much, that certainly wouldn't negate the quality, its
    far better than Ram-Man's legs looking and sounding like
    springs.

As far as the Filmation sword is concern, overall I'm pretty
    indifferent about it, but imo it would be superfluous. I also
    think that Adora's is a tad bit to small for He-Man, it looks
    pretty disproportionate. Granted if they were making a
    Filmation He-Man to go along with the Filmation sword then
    there would probably be alot less nay-sayers. I just wonder
    what's so special about it that makes some fans so adamant
    about it.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Filmation has it's share of 30 foot leaps and sword-twirling: breathing in space
    Yeah it does. Add that to He-Man occasionally throwing
    Skeletor's minions all the way back to Snake Mountain
    Last edited by Azrael; January 26, 2010 at 04:18am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I just wonder
    what's so special about it that makes some fans so adamant
    about it.
    The answer to that is easy. It's what we grew up with.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    I prefer quality over quantity. I like both MYP and Filmation
    for different reasons. The MYP was definitely a more darker
    maturer take on He-Man and I think King Grayskull does add
    to what little we knew surrounding the power sword and the
    Castle. MYP also manage to make various characters much
    more fascinating, which Filmation despite having 100 more
    episodes didn't do.
    I agree. both are good for different reasons. If i had to choose which one i liked more, i'd go for the more mature series, since I'm not 10 yrs old anymore & kiddie shows don't appeal to me as much as they used to. i also like stories that are more 'fleshed' out & have better continuity. The Filmation series, you could pretty much watch in any order, since any degree of continuity was sorely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Actually with a MAGIC sword, I would have been fine with it... IF and that's a big IF... They represented that in the comics or cartoon. The way Adam's sword changed in 200x was kind of cool, and if the mini-comics showed him holding a pink sword and magically changing to a silver one.. that may have been cool.

The way the 200x sword opened up against the snakemen and such... I could see it glowing gold or something for thunderpunch... but it didn't therefor the color's sucked.

Pretty much the same reason I HATED battle Armor He-man, Thunderpunch he-man and all the other varients... They were not the "REAL" He-man in the show so they didn't count
    I agree. Although when i was a kid, I wanted to see He-man put on that Battle armor, or use the thunder punch. It was disappointing when he never did. In hindsight, i realize he never needed any extra gear, since he has all the power of Grayskull at his disposal upon his transformation. the myp snake armor looked cool though imo...

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
    I think both the filmation and mattel swords are among the most boring weapons ever conceived for a major action figure line.

I wish He-Man had a real badarse sword.
    yeah i have to agree. Especially since these are advertised as 'highly detailed', yet alot of them look as plain as can be. compared the the previous motu toyline these are totally undetailed imo. for $20 items, i'd like a bit more detail, considering they have the 4hm doing the sculpting. And i know how detailed they can sculpt things. to me, with this toyline, it seems they're holding back.

As an artist and 3d animator myself I can't stand the TF movie designs. Other than hardcore fans, most people can't tell which characters are fighting on screen. That is like film school 101. It's just bad design imo.

Well not everyone considers 200X to be cannon. I don't really like the King Grayskull concept and it isn't cannon for me personally. MYP had like what 30 some episodes while Filmation had 130 He-man and 90 She-Ra so for me that is the "real" version. I'm not going to let a show that comes out 20 years after the fact rewrite the history of He-Man for me. Like it or hate it but the Filmation cartoon was seen by millions more people than MYP. I look at MYP as more of an elseworlds tale than anything.

But all of this is neither here nor there. My main point is there is a difference between the classics sword and the Filmation version and I personally want one. I mean why put up a fight against it? Doesn't make sense to me. I don't care about New Adventures and the new eye ball dude that is comming out but I'm not protesting against people that want him.
    yeah, good design or bad design is in the eye of the beholder. When I see a robot whose body looks like a truck cab & i know he turns into a truck without having to tf it; that's a bad design imo. It defeats the whole purpose of it being a TF'er. to me the movie designs are outstanding, since I have no idea what they tf into until i tf them. to me that's what tf's are all about.
    I'd have a hard time believing anyone can't tell one tf from another onscreen when they each look totally different. kids can tell them apart, so I'd expect that adults can too. to me, something that looks plain or cheesy is a bad design or a lazy unthought out one. but to each his own. I respect your opinion, though I disagree. I'll leave it at that & hope you do the same.

One thing I do agree on, I too hated the idea of King Grayskull. It reduced He-man to being a mere carbon copy. I hated that! i'm not sure what to make of the idea of there being several 'He-man's' of the past either. (goddess' bio)

It has since grown on me & I've accepted it as part of the mythos, along with He-ro, whose name I totally despised for the longest time... I don't consider mYP to be a rewrite of motu history, any more than Filmation being a rewrite of the original minicomics... (some fans hate Filmation for that reason, just as you apparently hate myp)

to me MYP simply has a more fleshed out continuity, and gives more origins & history in their 39 eps than filmation did in their 130 eps. Actually I consider myp to be a prequel to Filmation, not a rewrite, since it's that show that has Adam being given his sword for the first time.
    i'd consider that to be a very important part of the story, which Filmation saw fit to leave out. Also i think it's important to show why the villan is the way he is and why he's hell-bent on conquering this & that. Again, Filmation chose to leave all reason for everything out...
    true filmation had alot more eps... but if the storyline is lacking, it's rather pointless to have that many eps imo. filmation had origins for what, 3 characters... while myp had origins for just about every character that was introduced, and gave reasons for them being there. Filmation just seemed to have character x show up, just to sell the toy & no other reason. very little background info for most of the characters...

don't get me wrong, I love the Filmation series' as much as you do... but as a series mYP is far superior. i'm sure anyone who knows nothing of motu could watch both shows and draw the same conclusion. I'm not going to be so blinded by nostolgia & other such nonsense to see superiority when it stares me right in the face.
    Kids aren't so dumb that they don't want things to make sense and have a reason... but apparently in the 80's alot of kid's show makers must have thought so. I'm sure alot of kids in the 80's wondered why Skeletor is evil, how Adam got the sword, or how kowl & Madame Razz found out Adora's secret. To this day, i wonder that myself. they never did show that!! such an important story element completely overlooked. very bad imo...plus She-ra ended with nothing being resolved. also very bad.

anyway i hope you do get a filmation sword to use for your figures....I just don't see it as a necessity, since IMO the one we have is close enough. And once they get the Filmation rights we'll probably be flooded with Filmation swords of every color, just as we were flooded with SB He-man's a few yrs back.
    I do want alot of the Filmation characters who never got figures before, as well alot of the myp characters.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post
    The answer to that is easy. It's what we grew up with.
    We also grew up with the power
    sword Classics He-Man comes with
    along with a non-filmationesque He-Man.
    Last edited by Azrael; January 26, 2010 at 07:18pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I think a better way to phrase it would be: many people have been waiting for the Filmation-looking power sword for OVER 25 years.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think a better way to phrase it would be: many people have been waiting for the Filmation-looking power sword for OVER 25 years.
    Agreed; when I was a kid I used to wish for a more show accurate He-Man and sword. I remember being very disappointed with the weapons pack, in particular, because it came with a blue power sword and shield but no blue He-Man armor – that was a missed opportunity to have a He-Man with a blue, Filmation like harness.

Add me to the list of people who wouldn’t mind an extra cartoon sword for He-Man.

I'd have a hard time believing anyone can't tell one tf from another onscreen when they each look totally different. kids can tell them apart, so I'd expect that adults can too.
    I don't want to put words in FAN-DOR's mouth (nor to keep dragging this out, since it isn't the place for Tranformers), but I know for me personally, any time I've made a statement about the designs -- in that regard -- it very often was concerning the Mission City battle in the first Michael Bay movie. I'm actually to the point where I just stop paying attention to those shots now

Quote Originally Posted by josh
    nor to keep dragging this out, since it isn't the place for Tranformers
    Funny you should mention that. This is worse fighting than I have seen in a Transformers forum. We're talking about a small plastic sword. I'm amazed about the intense discontent that some have here over people who would really love a Filmation style/MOTUC Adora shaped sword (minus the stone) for MOTUC He-Man. I can't stand the 200X sword, but we got one with Man At Arms. So the 200X Sword fans have theirs to give to He-Man. And I'm happy for them! People who love the updated classic toy Power Sword automatically get theirs. And I'm happy for them too. Why can't fans of the Filmation look Power Sword have their own as well? After all, should NA He-Man come out, guess what shape the Power Sword will take on then?

We're not asking for an entirely new action figure mold. We're asking for a little plastic sword that would not be hard for Mattel to make since they already essentially made one for Adora. They can include it with another figure, like Adam (who can have a pink sword, and a Filmation style one as a bonus), or as part of a weapons pack. If some one does not want it, they can chuck it into the trash or sell it to someone who does want one. Why the fuss? Sheesh...

I think it will be great to have some variety, and that all camps will be happy. The 200X sword camp is happy. The classic sword camp is happy. The NA sword camp will most likely be happy. Why can't the Fimation sword camp be happy too? Man 'o man.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    So people want He-Man's sword to look like this?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...4&d=1264446798
    Dear God, YES!

Good job there. I love it. PLEASE MATTEL, MAKE THIS SWORD A REALITY.
    Last edited by Orko's Hat; January 27, 2010 at 03:49am.
    AKA "SPORTIMUS" on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/Sportimus

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    True... but there's still alot of fans who want the version that was seen on the filmation show, and they should be able to get it. After all MYP fans got their version of the sword, as did fans of the old toy version of the sword.

hopefully Adam will come with one that looks like adora's minus the jewel, and a bit bigger so it doesn't look goofy in the hands of male characters.
    I don't think they need to explain the swords in the bios though.... to me it's all the same sword regardless of which style it is. As long as it's grey/silver.
    imo a shiny chrome version would really stand out.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Hat View Post
    Funny you should mention that. This is worse fighting than I have seen in a Transformers forum. We're talking about a small plastic sword. I'm amazed about the intense discontent that some have here over people who would really love a Filmation style/MOTUC Adora shaped sword (minus the stone) for MOTUC He-Man. I can't stand the 200X sword, but we got one with Man At Arms. So the 200X Sword fans have theirs to give to He-Man. And I'm happy for them! People who love the updated classic toy Power Sword automatically get theirs. And I'm happy for them too. Why can't fans of the Filmation look Power Sword have their own as well? After all, should NA He-Man come out, guess what shape the Power Sword will take on then?

We're not asking for an entirely new action figure mold. We're asking for a little plastic sword that would not be hard for Mattel to make since they already essentially made one for Adora. They can include it with another figure, like Adam (who can have a pink sword, and a Filmation style one as a bonus), or as part of a weapons pack. If some one does not want it, they can chuck it into the trash or sell it to someone who does want one. Why the fuss? Sheesh...

I think it will be great to have some variety, and that all camps will be happy. The 200X sword camp is happy. The classic sword camp is happy. The NA sword camp will most likely be happy. Why can't the Fimation sword camp be happy too? Man 'o man.
    I haven't been to any Transformers forums in ages, but I know they can get just as heated as the rest of us

As for sculpting the sword, I would assume the Four Horsemen have already sculpted a jewel-less sword, but new tooling would have to be done for that to make the Filmation Power Sword. As far as I can tell, Adora's sword has an indentation for the jewel to sit in.

Also, my guess is it will come in a weapons pack, as adding it to He-Man or Prince Adam would probably be considered derivative of the cartoon (not the Style Guide, in Adora's circumstance), so Mattel Legal wouldn't let it happen that way.

All that being said, I have no problem putting out a more Filmation-accurate Power Sword as a bonus accessory. I do wish, though, more of the accessories were swappable between sexes as they were in the original line, so my Adora could hold a Power Sword I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Hat View Post
    Define fighting, because there's really no discontent over this issue,
    some people want it, others are indifferent and some see it as
    superfluous. IMO the 200X sword is superfluous especially since
    there's not yet a 200X He-Man to coincide with it. Many fans are already
    complaining about the fact that there are so many variations of the
    power sword we do have

Once again, there is no fuss, just people that don't see the point of
    a sword that looks slightly different from the one we already
    have. Besides Adora's sword looks disproportionate to Adam/He-Man,
    if they were going to make a filmation sword then it should be slightly
    bigger.

If you want variety then pray that Mattel obtains the Filmation license
    so we can have Filmation characters

Heroic Warrior
    If Mattel ever releases that Filmation sword, it should be included in a weapons pack !

True... but there's still alot of fans who want the version that was seen on the filmation show, and they should be able to get it. After all MYP fans got their version of the sword, as did fans of the old toy version of the sword.
    True, MYP did get theirs, which was a nice gesture from Mattel, as
    well as the possibility of a 200X He-Man. If the filmation sword
    happens it happen, if not, then so be it, but IMO neither group
    should feel as if they're entitled to something so mundane.

hopefully Adam will come with one that looks like adora's minus the jewel, and a bit bigger so it doesn't look goofy in the hands of male characters.
    I don't think they need to explain the swords in the bios though.... to me it's all the same sword regardless of which style it is. As long as it's grey/silver.
    imo a shiny chrome version would really stand out.
    Realistically, I believe Adam is going to have the same sword
    He-Man has. I don't see them making it the Filmation version.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    If Mattel ever releases that Filmation sword, it should be included in a weapons pack !
    They probably will. I can defiantly see that happening, but knowing
    Mattel, they'll probably just make it Adora's sword.
    Last edited by Azrael; January 27, 2010 at 03:24pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Originally Posted by Multibot
    I'd have a hard time believing anyone can't tell one tf from another onscreen when they each look totally different. kids can tell them apart, so I'd expect that adults can too.
    I belong to a TF website where people are still trying to figure out which characters are in which scene. Not to mention my friends which have seen the movies can't tell the characters apart but then again they don't know much about TF. So..um I guess your wrong about that dude.

Oh and one more thing Multibot,

I never said I hated MYP. And it's great that you find it superior to Filmation but that is opinion and not a fact. I happen to think Filmation was written very well as judged by many famous writers that worked on it and it had a loose continuity. Again I think it is important not to judge it based on today's standards cause that really isn't fair. Filmation had no more or less continuity than any other action series of the time.

I also think you put way too much emphasis on origin stories. I can think of at least one instance where learning the origin wrecked the entire series. One word:

medichlorians

what was this thread about agian? Oh yeah, I want a Filmation power sword!

I can think of at least one instance where learning the origin wrecked the entire series. One word:

medichlorians

I would love a filmation sword, it's always been my favorite design! Hopefully they'll get a weapons pack or something similar together planned in the next year or so.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I belong to a TF website where people are still trying to figure out which characters are in which scene. Not to mention my friends which have seen the movies can't tell the characters apart but then again they don't know much about TF. So..um I guess your wrong about that dude.
    Straying off topic a little bit...I have to agree with Fan-Dor here. Watching Transformers 2 in the theatre...I could tell the characters apart in scenes when they're just standing around (minus the villains who are all very similar looking)...but during the battle scenes, no chance. I just see a mess of mechanics. Except Optimus Prime. You can always tell him because of the red and blue.

Anyhoo...I really hope Mattel packs this sword in as a beautiful and magnificent extra. Adam coming with it is pretty cool...or give the Sorceress BOTH Filmation-looking swords to watch over. That would make my decade!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Straying off topic a little bit...I have to agree with Fan-Dor here. Watching Transformers 2 in the theatre...I could tell the characters apart in scenes when they're just standing around (minus the villains who are all very similar looking)...but during the battle scenes, no chance. I just see a mess of mechanics. Except Optimus Prime. You can always tell him because of the red and blue.

Anyhoo...I really hope Mattel packs this sword in as a beautiful and magnificent extra. Adam coming with it is pretty cool...or give the Sorceress BOTH Filmation-looking swords to watch over. That would make my decade!
    To continue a touch of straying... Bumblebee is like Prime, in that regard.

But what I really wanted to comment on was "give the Sorceress BOTH Filmation-looking swords to watch over." That's probably the best idea I've heard yet, though I do worry it's getting a little too close to Filmation likenesses.

Widget

Power Sword on Classics

Adora/She-Ra totally got a great sculpt of their sword...despite any arguments over the coloring...why did the Power Sword not get a sculpt that would actually look like it came off the cartoon? Am I the only one wondering this? I'd really like to see a better sword made for He-Man and the others carrying a Power Sword/Sword of He or whatever you want to call Faker's version. Maybe they could sculpt a weapons pack of the colored sword variants for all the characters to replace the others.

The line is based on the old toys, not the cartoon (which in many cases, was far removed from the toys).

Widget
    that's understandable...but she-ra and adora got great re-sculpts of their sword. definitely NOT modeled after the original she-ra toy. he-man should too.