Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 137

Thread: "Filmation" Power Sword

  1. #26
    Widget he-man of eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17
    I really want a filmation Sword of Power. Mattel would just have to remove the stone from the Adora sword. It would be nice to display both swords together as seen in the Secret of the Sword. Maybe this version can be included with Adam.

  2. #27
    I'm Right, You're Wrong Sword of Grayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    76
    My youngest sister HATES the classic/Filmation sword. HATES, HATES, HATES it. To her, it's too small and too plain to cut it as a superhero's signature weapon. The 2002 sword, on the other hand, she loves. Not only does she love the funkier, teched-out design, but the larger size of it is the clincher. In her eyes, that's the kind of weapon you expect a guy like He-Man to be packing. She pretty much turns up her nose at my Classics He-Man and my Classic Colors staction, but the 2002 figure and mini-bust? For her, THAT's what He-Man's supposed to be.

    As to whether or not there should be a replica of the sword as it was in the Filmation series...well, I have to side with those who think it's a pointless endeavor. The Filmation sword is just a simplified version of the original toy's blade, and there's not nearly enough difference between them to justify doing it. And between the Classics figure and my Classic Colors staction, I've got my jones for the classic sword satisfied. I'd sooner see a toy version of the Alcala Power Sword -- which does look significantly different from the traditional sword -- done.

  3. #28
    The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    4,621
    Quote Originally Posted by MANGLORD View Post
    i made the same style sword for my son's halloween costume.
    He looks so cool!!!

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior motufan425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    137
    I really like the sword that He Man and Adora came with, I think that we need to start a rally to get the Filmation rights so that we can really have the classics line that all will be happy with.....cough....cough....Shadow Weaver.
    The worst thing that happens to you can be the best thing for you if you don't let it get the best of you.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior FAN-DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    136
    I hear a lot of people saying the filmation sword looks too "plain". I think that was always the point for me. I thought it was so cool how all this power came from such an ordinary looking sword.

    Many times in the cartoon Adam would get his sword taken away and comment on how he needs to get his sword back and Teela would be like "who cares, it's just a sword?". It was like the sword itself had a secret identity.

    I grew up on the filmation cartoon so I am definitely biased but I would love to get a filmation sword like Adora's sans jewel and with a bigger handle so He-Man can actually grip it. For me the 200X sword is just like the recent Transformers movies; cluttered and over designed.

  6. #31
    Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post
    I hear a lot of people saying the filmation sword looks too "plain". I think that was always the point for me. I thought it was so cool how all this power came from such an ordinary looking sword.
    I'd say the opposite - it's not plain, it's elegant.

    Against that, the 200X sword doesn't even look like it had enough of an edge to cut anything - it's just a metal club.

  7. #32
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    4,208
    If they include it as a pack in, if they could include it, sure, why not? I think that stylistically they are the same, just the filmation one has the top of the pommle flanges connected like Adora's sword. Cool, whatever. I'm glad for the one we got, looks like He-Man's sword to me. Adora's I dont like terribly much specifically because it looks like filmation sword, but whatever, it's fine. I'd prefer the swords look exactally alike as He-Man and She-Ra excepting the jewel, but I can make my own if I really want to of either a jeweless Adora sword for He-Man (or adam, and I just may do that, say they "change" when the hero changes, or something) or a jeweled He-Man sword.

    Actually, yeah, that's what I'd like. A Jeweled version of He-Man's current sword. I may just make one with Wun-Dar's sword, as I dont intend him to carry it anyway.

    Incedentally MYP was a great cartoon, and I understand the reasons for the sword of power in there, and I appreciate where I can fit it in my personal cannon but...it was horrid looking. Truely aweful. The MOTUC version is nearly an acceptible version of it, but other than finding a place for it in my MOTUC cannon, it's still ugly as sin.

    Agreed. Not simple, elegant. As an item or relic of that power should be, I belive. Iconic.
    Last edited by baronterror; January 24, 2010 at 08:05am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #33
    Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post
    I hear a lot of people saying the filmation sword looks too "plain". I think that was always the point for me. I thought it was so cool how all this power came from such an ordinary looking sword.

    Many times in the cartoon Adam would get his sword taken away and comment on how he needs to get his sword back and Teela would be like "who cares, it's just a sword?". It was like the sword itself had a secret identity.

    I grew up on the filmation cartoon so I am definitely biased but I would love to get a filmation sword like Adora's sans jewel and with a bigger handle so He-Man can actually grip it. For me the 200X sword is just like the recent Transformers movies; cluttered and over designed.
    I'm the opposite. i love the ultra detailed new designs for HM's sword and for the transformers.
    To me the old designs give me that ' been there, seen it, done that' feeling. I too grew up on the Filmation series.... but I lived it then, so i'm ready for something new, now. I love to see my favorite franchises grow & evolve, rather than staying the same year after year. nastolgia only goes so far with me.
    i love the tf movie designs. i can barely look at my g1 collection... immoveable blocky robots... soooo 1950's. the new ones are toy engineering masterpieces by comparison. i like the classics/universe better than the g1's, which I grew up with. I guess it's because the new ones you can actually play with, while the originals could do nothing but move their arms up & down. and ironhide & ratchet have heads now...

    to me, the filmation/vintage sword does look plain. there's nothing special about it since it looks like the same sword everyone else has. which is why the 200x version is the definitive version to me. Because Skeletor doesn't have an exact copy of it, or anyone else (except Faker) so it makes it more unique & special.
    At least Adora's has the jewel & slightly diff design, making hers unique.

    i get what you mean about the sword's supposed to look plain & ordinary.... but that would have been ok back when I was 9. But as an adult I prefer the more stylized 200x version to be the true powersword. plus King Grayskull never had the old style sword in the series, so that one can't possibly be the true one can it? IMO myp series predates the Filmation series, for obvious resaons...
    so to me, the Filmation version is the 'created carbon copy' version, while the 200x one is the original 'real' version.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

    Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

  9. #34
    Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    to me, the filmation/vintage sword does look plain. there's nothing special about it since it looks like the same sword everyone else has. which is why the 200x version is the definitive version to me. Because Skeletor doesn't have an exact copy of it, or anyone else (except Faker) so it makes it more unique & special.
    Which is why, frankly, I hate them scattering skittle-coloured copies of the sword around like sweeties. One Sword of Power, one bejewlled Sword of Protection, and leave it at that.

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior evenflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Jersey Represent
    Posts
    4,220
    Thank for postingt he comparison, and i say they are close enough. I don't need a filmation sword.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

  11. #36
    Eternian Arashikage King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    5,790
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    No problem!!


    The only reason Adora got that sword is because it was in the Pop licensing guide,
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...0images/33.jpg
    haha poor she ra. she has mulptiple lines pointing out that she has PMS and in what quantity

    now if only that were true in the REAL world my life would be easier JK
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Westchester County, New York
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    haha poor she ra. she has mulptiple lines pointing out that she has PMS and in what quantity

    now if only that were true in the REAL world my life would be easier JK
    LOL!!!

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    159
    I want a version of this sword for He-Man more than I want a She-Ra figure.

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by he-man of eternia View Post
    I really want a filmation Sword of Power. Mattel would just have to remove the stone from the Adora sword. It would be nice to display both swords together as seen in the Secret of the Sword. Maybe this version can be included with Adam.
    BRILLIANT IDEA!!! I'm sure Adam will come with the stupid pink sword, but hopefully, they will include a Filmation style sword as a bonus. Heck, I'll even take it as part of a weapons pack!

    Obviously I would LOVE to get a Fimation style sword of power as well. Been wanting one forever. The closest we got was for the SDCC He-Man staction (2007?), but most of those are bent, sadly.

    All Mattel has to do is make one just like Adora's minus the jewel, and there we go! PLEASE MATTEL MAKE US A FILMATION STYLE POWER SWORD. It's the most elegant sword out there in MotU land. I'll eat dirt if I have to, just make us one, purdy please.
    AKA "SPORTIMUS" on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/Sportimus

  15. #40
    Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Which is why, frankly, I hate them scattering skittle-coloured copies of the sword around like sweeties. One Sword of Power, one bejewlled Sword of Protection, and leave it at that.
    Yes... one of them understands what i mean...

    i like the two swords to be unique and not the exact same sword everyone else has... I too was annoyed by Adam having a pink sword, and Faker having an orange one, skeletor having a purple one, He-ro having a blue sparkly one, etc...

    can someone tell me how a metal object can spontaneously change colors? anyway, to me it's just a cheap way to have the figures include something without having to put any thought into it. That's the impression i got... hmmmm, what should this guy come with... oh yes, He-man's sword, but let's make it a diff color & hope the kiddies don't notice.

    Also why is TP He-man's sword yellow? I never understood the reason for that. It should be grey/silver, and no other color imo.

    i guess that's why i prefer the 200x sword for my KG, He-ro, & He-man figures. Because a half dozen other guys have the vintage style sword, & i want the Sword of power to look totally different from those. If everyone else had Tri-klops swords instead, I'd gladly go with the filmation/vintage sword.
    yeah.. why is it that Trike & jitsu get unique swords when nobody else did? inquiring minds want to know...
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

    Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    Yes... one of them understands what i mean...

    i like the two swords to be unique and not the exact same sword everyone else has... I too was annoyed by Adam having a pink sword, and Faker having an orange one, skeletor having a purple one, He-ro having a blue sparkly one, etc...
    Well... I DO disagree with you on the merit's of the 200x sword, but we certainly see eye to eye on the various colors.

    I always loved the two halves Pre-filmation story line so I have NO problem with Skeletor getting his purple sword and Faker is a Fake He-man who should have a Fake sword... again no problems..

    However Blue weapons pack, He-ro, King Grayskull... there are TOO many swords flying around. It's all supposed to be the same sword, but WHY did He-RO need one?!? he already had the staff, why did his story need to get tied in.

    Prince Adam NEEDS to come with a sword, but WHY was it PINK? It wasn't pink in the TV show, it wasn't Pink in the mini comics... It was the SAME silver sword that He-man used... and as a kid whenever I LOST the He-man one, I was forced to use the goofy gold, Blue, Pink variations lying around :

    ALWAYS Hated that. He-man and KG came with the exact same colored sword, because it WAS the same sword. Adam should do the same!

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior kagamigod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    Yes... one of them understands what i mean...

    i like the two swords to be unique and not the exact same sword everyone else has... I too was annoyed by Adam having a pink sword, and Faker having an orange one, skeletor having a purple one, He-ro having a blue sparkly one, etc...

    can someone tell me how a metal object can spontaneously change colors? anyway, to me it's just a cheap way to have the figures include something without having to put any thought into it. That's the impression i got... hmmmm, what should this guy come with... oh yes, He-man's sword, but let's make it a diff color & hope the kiddies don't notice.

    Also why is TP He-man's sword yellow? I never understood the reason for that. It should be grey/silver, and no other color imo.

    i guess that's why i prefer the 200x sword for my KG, He-ro, & He-man figures. Because a half dozen other guys have the vintage style sword, & i want the Sword of power to look totally different from those. If everyone else had Tri-klops swords instead, I'd gladly go with the filmation/vintage sword.
    yeah.. why is it that Trike & jitsu get unique swords when nobody else did? inquiring minds want to know...
    Just because someone else will say it soon, actually Fisto came with a sword just like Tri-Klops'. I wouldn't mind a Filmation sword, but not important to me overall. I don't consider the other swords to be Thee Sword of Power. Faker's fake, Wun-Dar's is a decoy, Skeletor's I don't even count, He-Ro's is it's original form and KG's is the same as what Adam/He-Man now carries. I never liked the 200X power sword myself, but I like how it's been written in.

  18. #43
    Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Thats been the case for nearly 3 decades now. As kids, many of
    us didn't really care that Adam's Sword was pink etc, we just
    went with it, no sense in trying to over analyze it now, it is what
    it is.
    Sorry, but even as a kid I could tell the difference between a pink sword and the grey one I saw on TV and in the minicomics.
    I thought it was sissy then and still do now. i never saw the reason to keep changing the colors of the sword when it was supposed to be the SAME damn sword. it's stupid & unrealistic, imo.
    I'm sure there are those who don't care, and will take whatever is thrown at them and 'go with it'. i feel sorry for those people.

    I'm not 'over analyzing it', it's just a simple observation that can be corrected now, by giving Adam his sword in the proper color. actually only the vintage/commemorative Adams had the pink sword. 200x Adam had the proper silver sword.

    btw, we're not kids now, so the pink sword crap won't do imo. Adam's sword should be the same silver/grey sword that He-man has. Maybe throw in the girlie pink one for those who like it, though. no reason not to have both.

    As far as which style sword he should get, i don't care... mine will have the 200x sword regardless.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

    Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    I thought it was sissy then and still do now. i never saw the reason to keep changing the colors of the sword when it was supposed to be the SAME damn sword. it's stupid & unrealistic, imo.
    Actually with a MAGIC sword, I would have been fine with it... IF and that's a big IF... They represented that in the comics or cartoon. The way Adam's sword changed in 200x was kind of cool, and if the mini-comics showed him holding a pink sword and magically changing to a silver one.. that may have been cool.

    The way the 200x sword opened up against the snakemen and such... I could see it glowing gold or something for thunderpunch... but it didn't therefor the color's sucked.

    Pretty much the same reason I HATED battle Armor He-man, Thunderpunch he-man and all the other varients... They were not the "REAL" He-man in the show so they didn't count

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    569
    I think both the filmation and mattel swords are among the most boring weapons ever conceived for a major action figure line.

    I wish He-Man had a real badarse sword.

    (Badarse sword pictured below).


  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior Marvelous0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Outside of Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,503
    So people want He-Man's sword to look like this?

    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

  22. #47
    Heroic Warrior Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    I'm sure there are those who don't care, and will take whatever is thrown at them and 'go with it'. i feel sorry for those people.
    I don't, however I do feel sorry for people getting bent out of
    shape over something as trivial as the color of a plastic toy sword.

    I'm not 'over analyzing it', it's just a simple observation that can be corrected now, by giving Adam his sword in the proper color. actually only the vintage/commemorative Adams had the pink sword. 200x Adam had the proper silver sword.
    I stated that you were over analyzing it because I'm sure that
    everyone was already aware that Adam is suppose to have the
    same color sword and that the sword wouldn't logically change
    color. However since the pink sword was intentional then I wouldn't
    say it requires correcting imo.

    btw, we're not kids now, so the pink sword crap won't do imo.
    I'm aware of that too, but what do you think the line is
    based off? since characters have gotten their respective
    colored weapons this shouldn't be shocking, I do agree
    that Adam should come with the correct colored sword,
    but the pink one keeps things consistent and nostalgic.
    Last edited by Azrael; January 26, 2010 at 01:59am.

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior FAN-DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    136
    Originally Posted by Multibot
    i love the tf movie designs. i can barely look at my g1 collection...
    And with that statement you lost all credibility with me, lol.

    Just kidding you are entitled to your opinion. As an artist and 3d animator myself I can't stand the TF movie designs. Other than hardcore fans, most people can't tell which characters are fighting on screen. That is like film school 101. It's just bad design imo.

    Originally Posted by Multibot
    i get what you mean about the sword's supposed to look plain & ordinary.... but that would have been ok back when I was 9. But as an adult I prefer the more stylized 200x version to be the true powersword. plus King Grayskull never had the old style sword in the series, so that one can't possibly be the true one can it? IMO myp series predates the Filmation series, for obvious resaons...

    Well not everyone considers 200X to be cannon. I don't really like the King Grayskull concept and it isn't cannon for me personally. I'm not sure if he appeared in a mini comic back in the day but he wasn't in the Filmation show.

    MYP had like what 30 some episodes while Filmation had 130 He-man and 90 She-Ra so for me that is the "real" version. I'm not going to let a show that comes out 20 years after the fact rewrite the history of He-Man for me. Like it or hate it but the Filmation cartoon was seen by millions more people than MYP. I look at MYP as more of an elseworlds tale than anything.

    But all of this is neither here nor there. My main point is there is a difference between the classics sword and the Filmation version and I personally want one. I mean why put up a fight against it? Doesn't make sense to me. I don't care about New Adventures and the new eye ball dude that is comming out but I'm not protesting against people that want him.

  24. #49
    Heroic Warrior Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post
    Well not everyone considers 200X to be cannon. I don't really like the King Grayskull concept and it isn't cannon for me personally. I'm not sure if he appeared in a mini comic back in the day but he wasn't in the Filmation show.

    MYP had like what 30 some episodes while Filmation had 130 He-man and 90 She-Ra so for me that is the "real" version. I'm not going to let a show that comes out 20 years after the fact rewrite the history of He-Man for me. Like it or hate it but the Filmation cartoon was seen by millions more people than MYP. I look at MYP as more of an elseworlds tale than anything.
    I prefer quality over quantity. I like both MYP and Filmation
    for different reasons. The MYP was definitely a more darker
    maturer take on He-Man and I think King Grayskull does add
    to what little we knew surrounding the power sword and the
    Castle. MYP also manage to make various characters much
    more fascinating, which Filmation despite having 100 more
    episodes didn't do.

  25. #50
    Heroic Warrior FAN-DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    136
    Originally Posted by Azrael
    MYP also manage to make various characters much
    more fascinating, which Filmation despite having 100 more
    episodes didn't do.
    That is opinion.

    I'm not saying MYP wasn't quality(although the 30ft leaps and sword twirling might prove otherwise). My main point was just because people like MYP doesn't mean we can't have a Filmation sword.

    I just don't get the reasoning behind the nay sayers. Why not let those of us that want a Filmation sword get one?? All they have to do is take out the gem in Adora's. It's not like it would take sculpting time away from other figures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •