Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "Filmation" Power Sword

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by savageboredom View Post
    that's understandable...but she-ra and adora got great re-sculpts of their sword. definitely NOT modeled after the original she-ra toy. he-man should too.
    I agree. There's a LOT of art of it floating around. It's designed that way in some mini-comics too. The fans want it, we asked Mattel, they said no.

Just like Keldor's 200X swords.

Mattel likes to give us repaints, not new swords. I think that's what it comes down to.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I for one would be disappointed if He-Man's sword was the toon one. Never liked it much, even back in the day. Classic toy powersword is THE sword! Loved that I finally got a full sword and not only half one!

But if there is much demand for a toon-based sword, then Mattel should consider doing it, if it does not cross the old trademark frontiers. I couldn't care less about it (just as with 200x), but I'm the kind of guy of likes to see everyone happy

She-Ra's "toony" sword looks nice on her though. Maybe because of its more elegant design, it looks good on her, but He-Man is better with his thougher broadsword.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
    I for one would be disappointed if He-Man's sword was the toon one. Never liked it much, even back in the day. Classic toy powersword is THE sword! Loved that I finally got a full sword and not only half one!

But if there is much demand for a toon-based sword, then Mattel should consider doing it, if it does not cross the old trademark frontiers. I couldn't care less about it (just as with 200x), but I'm the kind of guy of likes to see everyone happy

She-Ra's "toony" sword looks nice on her though. Maybe because of its more elegant design, it looks good on her, but He-Man is better with his thougher broadsword.
    I feel the same way pal.

I'm perfectly happy with the Power Sword He-Man's got. I like that it's more aggressive looking than the Filmation design. If that many people want a Filmation type sword, hopefully Matty will release one so you folks can be perfectly happy like me.
    I want my other half.

A true toon sword would be fantastic! Check out Battel Brack's custom made Filmation similar sword!

The original was white, this is a painted up metalic version!

Adora with the Sword of Protection painted in more Filmation like colors

Last edited by Angel-T; June 11, 2010 at 07:37pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    If that many people want a Filmation type sword, hopefully Matty will release one so you folks can be perfectly happy like me.
    He-Man and Skeletor (and versions thereof) seem to be under far more restrictive rules - as to how far Mattel will allow them to vary from the vintage toy template - than any of the other characters. As such, a "Filmation" Sword of Power would probably have to be snuck in as a "secret" accessory with some unrelated character (as the 200X sword was with MAA) so as not to catch the attention of whichever higher-up vetoes such things.

I made this wooden Filmation power sword a few years back.

I would die a happy man if Mattel release true Filmation accurate swords of power & protection! :hngrin:
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

200X Sword All The Way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    Ok, now i see the differences between the Filmation sword & the toy version.

IMHO, i prefer the 200x sword for my figures. The vintage toy version looks plain & bland to me, and the Filmation version looks even plainer to me. i like my hero having a sword that looks like something special, not a butterknife with knobs on the sides. i also like the prongs on the vintage toy version better.

i don't mind Adora's sword looking a bit different from He-man's, but similar. I disregard the whole cloning bs... to me, there were two swords from day one. One sword of power & one sword of protection. Adora's was made for her obviously, so I'd expect it to be a bit smaller than He-man's. IMO, the 4hm got it right.

one thing I'm really confused about though... if the power sword was split into two halves; and Adam can become He-man with his half, then what can Skeletor's half do? Why can't he call on the power of Grayskull with his half? maybe become He-tor (lol, evil master of fire)

in the old minicomics, Adam becomes He-man with his half of the sword, and in the menace of Trap-jaw they combine both halves to defeat him... so what can Skeletor do with his half of the sword?
    I'd like someone to explain this to me, because I'm going nuts trying to figure it out.
    the motuc bios claim MAA had to make the 200x sword so Adam could become He-man... (which I also totally disregard), but if i did go by that concept, then how would Adam be able to defend Eternia with out being able to become He-man? if he's carrying a useless half sword... then what's the point? i'm sure it must take a while for Duncan to forge another sword that may or may not work... leaving Eternia helpless in the meantime.

that's why i also disregard the whole swords split in half storyline too... it raises way too many questions. iMO if He-man has one half & skeletor has the other, then skeletor's half should be able to do something special just as Adam/He-man's does. why doesn't He-man just lay the smack down on Skeletor & take the other half from him? End of story...problem solved.
    Multibot, I'm with you all the way about the 200X sword!! I absolutely hate all the vintage/classic swords. I want the 200X versions for both He-Man and She-Ra.

I also hate all that "half-sword" crap, and how every other character has a fruit colored version of the sword.

Absolutely nothing is special about that sword, especially when everybody and their mama has one.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Multibot, I'm with you all the way about the 200X sword!! I absolutely hate all the vintage/classic swords. I want the 200X versions for both He-Man and She-Ra.

I also hate all that "half-sword" crap, and how every other character has a fruit colored version of the sword.

Absolutely nothing is special about that sword, especially when everybody and their mama has one.
    Exactly. He-man's sword isn't special when everyone else has as exact copy.

personally, I don't mind the other characters having their rainbow colored swords (except Keldor, who should have had his 200x swords), but that style sword doesn't get used for my He-man. to me the sword of power should look unique and be a one of a kind item that gets passed down, like the 200x story suggested.
    i also like the orange 200x sword for my Faker, since he 'imitates' He-man, it makes sense for him to have an identical looking sword; but not for the half dozen or more other characters imo. they can keep their vintage swords...

while I do hope they make a Filmation He-man sword for those who want it, in whatever colors they want, i also want as much 200x influence in this line as well.

I don't mind Adora's sword, since the jewel makes it unique & I don't think any of the other pop ladies will be carrying one (I could be wrong though). She-ra's sword isn't bad either....but i'll have to see if the 200x one will fit in the hand of the classics She-ra & see how it looks when she arrives. I'm also glad she is coming with her own shield this time & not a Teela shield.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    as far as my own canon goes there are 5 swords: he-ro's wraith sword, 200x sword of grayskull which both merge to make the sword of power which was cloned to make the sword of protection and of course skeletors purple sword of darkness from the old uk comics. and finally the sword of rewop given to faker
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Heroic Warrior BIG DADDY SINISTER's Avatar
    I'll be darned....thirty years of following this thing and I never noticed the difference. And I think I prefer the Filmation sword design!
    "Who do you pray to... when you're the religion?" - THOR

Didn't this sword design originate in the DC Comics miniseries?

Just sayin'.
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Widget
    Ok, now i see the differences between the Filmation sword & the toy version.

IMHO, i prefer the 200x sword for my figures. The vintage toy version looks plain & bland to me, and the Filmation version looks even plainer to me. i like my hero having a sword that looks like something special, not a butterknife with knobs on the sides. i also like the prongs on the vintage toy version better.

i don't mind Adora's sword looking a bit different from He-man's, but similar. I disregard the whole cloning bs... to me, there were two swords from day one. One sword of power & one sword of protection. Adora's was made for her obviously, so I'd expect it to be a bit smaller than He-man's. IMO, the 4hm got it right.

one thing I'm really confused about though... if the power sword was split into two halves; and Adam can become He-man with his half, then what can Skeletor's half do? Why can't he call on the power of Grayskull with his half? maybe become He-tor (lol, evil master of fire)

in the old minicomics, Adam becomes He-man with his half of the sword, and in the menace of Trap-jaw they combine both halves to defeat him... so what can Skeletor do with his half of the sword?
    I'd like someone to explain this to me, because I'm going nuts trying to figure it out.
    the motuc bios claim MAA had to make the 200x sword so Adam could become He-man... (which I also totally disregard), but if i did go by that concept, then how would Adam be able to defend Eternia with out being able to become He-man? if he's carrying a useless half sword... then what's the point? i'm sure it must take a while for Duncan to forge another sword that may or may not work... leaving Eternia helpless in the meantime.

that's why i also disregard the whole swords split in half storyline too... it raises way too many questions. iMO if He-man has one half & skeletor has the other, then skeletor's half should be able to do something special just as Adam/He-man's does. why doesn't He-man just lay the smack down on Skeletor & take the other half from him? End of story...problem solved.
    Yeah I don't buy the whole MAA constructing the electronic sword story either. It doesn't make sense in any fashion. In the 200x cartoon, the sword was already in a box in the depths of Castle Grayskull, in the safekeeping of the Sorceress when Adam received it. And furthermore, if the power to transform Adam was able to be "stored" or transferred into the electronic sword, then what would you need the two halves of the power sword for? The battle for the sword was never a story line in the cartoons, which, yes, I know weren't the only media that involved He-Man. I'm just a die hard fan of the original and the 200x cartoons.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I don't know why everyone is so critical of Adora's sword. I was really moved when I first held it in my big adult's fingers as, as a child, that's exactly the Filmation sword that I wanted to have for my toys! It's a little small maybe but in perfect scale with Adora. I would love it if Mattel gave us a bigger version sans jewel for He-man because I think it's way nicer than the Mattel version.
    I'm with you on this. I think Adora's sword is great, and I'd love to see basically the same sword (sans jewel and scaled bigger to fit with He-Man) made in this line. If it doesn't happen, I'll live, but it would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    No problem!!

The only reason Adora got that sword is because it was in the Pop licensing guide,

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...0images/33.jpg

there was no filmation sword in the MOTU licensing guide he had the Texiera looking sword. I can guaruntee you that unless Mattel buys the Filmation library we won`t see another version of that sword except with She Ra. Heres He Man and his sword from the MOTU licensing guide.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...20images/4.jpg
    Well, there's a few issues with what you are saying here.

For one thing, the "Filmation-style" sword did appear in the mini-comics, and from what we've been told, anything that appeared in the mini-comics is fair game. So, that design of the sword should be legally possible. It doesn't mean Mattel will actually make it, but they should be more than able to.

As far as the style guides go, they are also simply fair-game. They aren't the end-all, be-all that everything is being based on, so they won't necessarily take precident in every case. The style guides have come in handy since it has provided an excellent loop-hole to get the POP characters in their more Filmation-like designs.

But not everything will necessarily be based directly on the style guides. I really don't even see your point about He-Man's sword, because looking at the sword in that style-guide drawing and looking at the sword that came with MOTUC He-Man, they are very different designs. In fact, I would argue that while it's not exactly the same design, the sword shown in the style guide seems to have a lot more in common with the Filmation look than it does the look of the sword that actually came with MOTUC He-Man.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior

Not sure if this was addressed... I didn't see it anywhere...

There was never a minicomic that included 'sword halves' AND 'Adam'. By the time Adam came around they ditched the swords idea...

HOWEVER... in MY story, Adam's half of the sword gave unimaginable strength and he became He-man....

SKELETOR'S half gave a massive boost to his Magical ability.... Enough to make him a SERIOUS threat to He-man...

Should those halves ever get united...

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Tried asking again in the last Q&A round, without mentioning the F-------n word...
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFWTK 2.48
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=199998
    In the past, you've said that doing a Sword of Power that matched Adora/She-Ra's Sword of Protection (i.e., the same design as the sword that came with those figures, minus the jewel) was out of the question. Considering that you've now said that you would consider doing an altered Sword of He with a future He-Man variant to give it a handgrip ala Tri-Klops' sword, would you also now consider doing a Sword of Power akin to She-Ra's, since "anything is possible"?

We might do the vintage toy version of She-Ra’s sword with a future She-Ra figure, but we don’t have plans to do any Jewel-less versions anytime soon.
    ...still no luck

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post

The swords are all special... But the fact that Adam is the Heir to Grayskull is the reason he can channel the power. Same with his sister. There you go. Simple answer.
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I definitely want a Filmation sword! I would buy another He-Man figure (again) in order to get it, although at this point I think a new weapons-pack is in order..... (Staff of Avion, Teela's Filmation sword/shield, Trap-Jaw's energy bow, and now He-Man's Filmation sword....)

I'm sure there are others that could be added to a "Filmation inspired" WP that I am forgetting, but you get my point.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I've seen a Filmation style sword and a "holding to the sky" custom hand. I won't say anything beyond that, per board rules on such things.

I would definitely like to see a Filmation-styled power sword. I dig the old school toy sword and the MOTUC swords, but I think a Filmation sword would be a welcome addition to those that may want one. I'd say toss it into a weapons pack, if it ever gets the OK.

On a side note, I've been wanting one bad enough that I've been doing a custom Filmation sword from the existing TRU Skeletor 2-pack sword. Just some cutting, sanding, and gluing. Should have something to share in the customs section soon (and before anyone asks, this is for myself and my He-Man--a one-of-a-kind, if you will).

diosoth, if you have a pic, PM me. I'm always interested in seeing custom work and it sounds interesting.

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    What are the chances that Spy Monkey would create something like the sword?

Would something like that cross the line?

I'd also like a non jewel Adora sword too! I think the best figure to include it with would be 200x Prince Adam (bonus accessory like they did with Man-at-Arms) The size of the sword should fit 200x Adam's stature about right.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    A Twin Sword/Filmation style Power Sword for He-Man is very, very high on my wishlist as well!
    I think the current swords look a bit too big, but the Adora sword looks perfect!
    I made a mock-up of it:
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

At first I was thinking we already have the filmation version. However in reviewing the toon and looking at my MOTUC figure, I can see what is being talked about.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a toon version of the power sword if they decide to do it.
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

I just don't see them drastically different. I wouldn't complain if we got a filmation version but wouldn't mind if we didn't
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

What's the difference? It's the same sword as far as I know!