Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartacus Blood and Sand and General Talkback

Spartacus Blood and Sand and General Talkback

There is a new series on Starz. You can actually watch the first two episodes on the net. Has anyone seen it? OMG. Its all dirtied up a bit. I think its going to be a fun naughty ride.

Just wondering what others thought.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

They need to tone back the super cheesy CG blood, but otherwise its fun as a trashy version of HBO's ROME.

so do you think ROME was good????

anyway ...I'm such a fan of Raimi and my favorite "xena" is there !!! I think I'm in love with lucy lawless and I'd love if she would have the possibility to grab her sword&sandals once again!!!!! but she plays Lucretia , a noble Roman .... very luxurious and *****y

the show reminds me of 300 that meets the academy winner Gladiator with Russel Crowe ....
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    They need to tone back the super cheesy CG blood, but otherwise its fun as a trashy version of HBO's ROME.
    I dont mind the cheesy CG blood. But you are right its just a trashy version of HBO's Rome..which I only saw a few episodes of.

As a history freak I'm all for these historical dramas. The Tudors, Rome, and now Spartacus. Bring it on
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by triklops1 View Post
    so do you think ROME was good????
    ROME was outstanding. 1st season started a bit slow, but gathered momentum as it went. The 2nd season was flat out some of the best TV I've ever seen.

I think Spartacus will be a lot of fun in a Xena meets 300 sort of way. Horribly non-accurate, cheesy and over-the-top with some sketchy CG work, but entertaining.

To be fair most historical dramas are short on accuracy. And I think a part of that is no one knows how things were except us history nuts. But then again I had a student who thought Joan of Arc fought during the Civil War, so I don't have much faith in my average American viewer.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    To be fair most historical dramas are short on accuracy. And I think a part of that is no one knows how things were except us history nuts. But then again I had a student who thought Joan of Arc fought during the Civil War, so I don't have much faith in my average American viewer.
    Oh they are, but from talking to a history professor friend of mine, she'd rank the 3 shows in terms of accuracy this way:

ROME
    Tudors
    Spartacus

------

But for me the most important thing is the quality of the show. ROME was epic. Unprecedented sets and visuals, outstanding acting and sharp intelligent scripts with far-reaching stories. It was a deep and realistic look at Rome without any 21st century moralizing over it. The Tudors I never got into, it felt like a cheap imitation of ROME to me - and I don't really care about that era. Spartacus is going to be loads of fun, but its definitely very budgety - its trying to combine ROME with 300, but it feels like they are just opying the surface.

Spartacus makes the #1 mistake of subpar historical pieces like Alexander or Troy by attempting to be Shakespeare and having everyone in bronze age Greece/Italy have British accents and speak in POETRY. From the Roman senator to the barbarian slave, everyone waxes poetic and speaks in a roundabout verbose way, except barbarians use tons of profanity to let you know they're rough and tumble.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; January 30, 2010 at 01:46pm.

Just finished watching the 1st episode on Netflix. I am a little disappointed, maybe I expected too much

There is so much slow motion, I honestly have the impression that if those sequences were real time the episode would last 5 minutes. I hope they tone that down a lot. By the time you get to the 17th blood-gushing animation you just wanna shout "Oh, come on, already". There is actually one instance which is cool - at the end, when the gladiator who just lost his legs gets killed, and the whole screen fills with blood. There they make it totally unreal, and it gets a little arty. But that is an exception.

As for sex, apparently the producers think that "sex" means corny stock-phrase "romantic" dialogue followed by a few sequences of Playboy-style soft nudity. Yeah, I bet that's how they did it back then!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    ...but otherwise its fun as a trashy version of HBO's ROME.
    Yeah, that is the perfect description of this show. I was kinda expecting ROME, that's why I was disappointed. It's nowhere near it.

I don't know, I might continue watching if it is easily accessible online, and if I manage to switch to finding quality in its trashiness.

...HBO's Rome..which I only saw a few episodes of.
    Trust me, you want to see entire show. It's one of the best shows ever. It's a little expensive (costs more than most shows in iTunes) but it's worth it.

Honestly, ROME wasn't 100% accurate either, but it was a lot more accurate than most TV shows. And, I think they tried hard to depict everyday Roman life accurately - human relations, everyday business, the way politics was conducted - which is what really counts for a period drama.

And it was a lot sexier. At least for me!

I thought it was ok. But The over use of the 300 Blood effects and the use of modern language kinds of ruins it for me. I doubt they used the C and the F words then!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

We watched it and its a cheaper version of ROME, that is not completely a bad thing but ROME was so good its hard to not compare things to it.

Anyone who did not get to see ROME to its completion does not know what they were missing, the show remains one of HBO's finest.

Its a shame ROME had to end, it did not end because the story was complete or because its ratings fell, it cost way too much money

This show reminds me of 300 in the direction and camera work, as long as Netflix keeps adding the episodes to their Instant Watch we will watch it.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I dont think this show is trying to be like Rome. I think its trying to be like 300. I personally believe no one who creates this show would compare it to Rome.

Ah, but what do I know.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I agree. I'm really enjoying the show for what it is and I instantly and "only" thought 300/Gladiator. It also has the perfect amount of cheese and naughty for my liking... and I'm loving the blood too.

I really liked Rome but don't see the connection that some of you do.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    I really liked Rome but don't see the connection that some of you do.
    The political intrigue is much more like Rome then either Gladiator or 300, especially when you watch Episode 2 (a much better episode then the premiere)

After watching the two episodes the show resembles 300 for direction and outrageous action sequences, ROME-lite for way the story is crafted, and Gladiator for how Spartacus is developed

In other words like someone took the movie Gladiator, decided to serialize it because they watched ROME and figured since they could not have the explicit or frequenct sex HBO goes for to compensate with over the top violence.

But it works I think, and I hope it encourages Starz to make more shows since cable networks like USA, Sci Fi, BBC, and Starz have been producing much better programming than the big "free" networks the last few years.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The political intrigue is much more like Rome then either Gladiator or 300, especially when you watch Episode 2 (a much better episode then the premiere)

After watching the two episodes the show resembles 300 for direction and outrageous action sequences, ROME-lite for way the story is crafted, and Gladiator for how Spartacus is developed

In other words like someone took the movie Gladiator, decided to serialize it because they watched ROME and figured since they could not have the explicit or frequenct sex HBO goes for to compensate with over the top violence.
    Very solid summation, I think.

But it works I think, and I hope it encourages Starz to make more shows since cable networks like USA, Sci Fi, BBC, and Starz have been producing much better programming than the big "free" networks the last few years.
    Agreed. I also think shows benefit from short seasons. 13 episodes forces much tighter plotting and less filler.

Starz is on a "quiet" roll. Party Down is one of the best new comedies that gets very little pub.

I've had to see the preview for this series too many times in the theater, at a first glance it looks to be a "laughable-but-ultimately-boring" kind of bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I've had to see the preview for this series too many times in the theater, at a first glance it looks to be a "laughable-but-ultimately-boring" kind of bad.
    The first episode kinda is, it is supremely over the top in violence and the story is somewhat basic (not a far reach from the trailer seen by many).

The second episode slows down greatly, and you begin to see how the show is being setup.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This show is funny.

It's like some network exec went to a board meeting with this premise: "Let's make a sword and sandal epic! It'll be a mixture of Gladiator, only with the sex from ROME and the stylized violence from 300! We'll make millions!"

I think Spartacus is cool, but it's influences are so blatant. I have yet to see the second episode, though.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I dont think this show is trying to be like Rome. I think its trying to be like 300. I personally believe no one who creates this show would compare it to Rome.

Ah, but what do I know.
    No, you are right. For whatever reason I expected it to be like Rome before I even saw it.

Watched the second episode yesterday. Lot's of shirtless men! Can't say anything against that!

I was shocked by the nudity in the second episode. I watched them out of order...duh me for clicking on the wrong thing...and I liked the second one better.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I was shocked by the nudity in the second episode. I watched them out of order...duh me for clicking on the wrong thing...and I liked the second one better.
    Seems to me like you clicked on the right thing

Heroic Warrior
    was the first one supposed to be in 3d?

it seemed like it to me with the blood spurts, and the snow. The blood spurts did get distracting after awhile

I also liked the second episode better.

Quote Originally Posted by killshacklefoot View Post
    was the first one supposed to be in 3d?

it seemed like it to me with the blood spurts, and the snow. The blood spurts did get distracting after awhile
    Heh. Not supposed to be 3D, just overaggressive CG.

[/QUOTE]

Heroic Warrior
    it shoulda been 3d then. 1 o my cats tried to bat at a snowflake

The 3rd episode was just as good as the 2nd, I was suprised to see Spartacus get his ass handed to him the way he did.

The show is getting better with each ep, it feels more like watching Rome if Rome had been about the Gladiators instead of Soldiers.

I didn't catch most of episode 3 (just the end actually) but what was the point of him losing and asking for mercy? It was like a political statement (by him) as Batiatus seemed almost pleased. Was it part of a master plan "Spartacus" cooked up...
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART