Thread: Spartacus Blood and Sand and General Talkback

Hybrid View

Spartacus Blood and Sand and General Talkback

There is a new series on Starz. You can actually watch the first two episodes on the net. Has anyone seen it? OMG. Its all dirtied up a bit. I think its going to be a fun naughty ride.

Just wondering what others thought.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

They need to tone back the super cheesy CG blood, but otherwise its fun as a trashy version of HBO's ROME.

so do you think ROME was good????

anyway ...I'm such a fan of Raimi and my favorite "xena" is there !!! I think I'm in love with lucy lawless and I'd love if she would have the possibility to grab her sword&sandals once again!!!!! but she plays Lucretia , a noble Roman .... very luxurious and *****y

the show reminds me of 300 that meets the academy winner Gladiator with Russel Crowe ....
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Quote Originally Posted by triklops1 View Post
    so do you think ROME was good????
    ROME was outstanding. 1st season started a bit slow, but gathered momentum as it went. The 2nd season was flat out some of the best TV I've ever seen.

I think Spartacus will be a lot of fun in a Xena meets 300 sort of way. Horribly non-accurate, cheesy and over-the-top with some sketchy CG work, but entertaining.

To be fair most historical dramas are short on accuracy. And I think a part of that is no one knows how things were except us history nuts. But then again I had a student who thought Joan of Arc fought during the Civil War, so I don't have much faith in my average American viewer.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    To be fair most historical dramas are short on accuracy. And I think a part of that is no one knows how things were except us history nuts. But then again I had a student who thought Joan of Arc fought during the Civil War, so I don't have much faith in my average American viewer.
    Oh they are, but from talking to a history professor friend of mine, she'd rank the 3 shows in terms of accuracy this way:

ROME
    Tudors
    Spartacus

------

But for me the most important thing is the quality of the show. ROME was epic. Unprecedented sets and visuals, outstanding acting and sharp intelligent scripts with far-reaching stories. It was a deep and realistic look at Rome without any 21st century moralizing over it. The Tudors I never got into, it felt like a cheap imitation of ROME to me - and I don't really care about that era. Spartacus is going to be loads of fun, but its definitely very budgety - its trying to combine ROME with 300, but it feels like they are just opying the surface.

Spartacus makes the #1 mistake of subpar historical pieces like Alexander or Troy by attempting to be Shakespeare and having everyone in bronze age Greece/Italy have British accents and speak in POETRY. From the Roman senator to the barbarian slave, everyone waxes poetic and speaks in a roundabout verbose way, except barbarians use tons of profanity to let you know they're rough and tumble.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; January 30, 2010 at 01:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    They need to tone back the super cheesy CG blood, but otherwise its fun as a trashy version of HBO's ROME.
    I dont mind the cheesy CG blood. But you are right its just a trashy version of HBO's Rome..which I only saw a few episodes of.

As a history freak I'm all for these historical dramas. The Tudors, Rome, and now Spartacus. Bring it on
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This show is funny.

It's like some network exec went to a board meeting with this premise: "Let's make a sword and sandal epic! It'll be a mixture of Gladiator, only with the sex from ROME and the stylized violence from 300! We'll make millions!"

I think Spartacus is cool, but it's influences are so blatant. I have yet to see the second episode, though.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Spartacus:War of the damned

I can't wait the next episode.

I wonder what the creators will do with Spartacus, I mean the final of the historical person is not clearly ,it gives them freedom to do what they want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; April 1, 2013 at 10:36pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    ^^^^

I'm not sure what they plan to do with Spartacus either, especially now that he is forming an emotional bond with Laeta. Without a "loved one", I could more easily see Spartacus sacrificing himself in a battle against impossible odds to "honour" the rebellion. But, now that he may have an opportunity at something like a "normal" life IF he escapes with his life, perhaps he will be more reluctant in battle.

Then again, that seems to be the same storyline that they're doing with Gannicus and Sibyl, so I doubt they will give Spartacus and Gannicus the same character development. Perhaps Spartacus really does feel nothing for Laeta?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Well...that's it!

Poor Naevia. She and Crixus were my favorite characters. At least Laeta lived...

Onemarus returned...even if it was only a vision.

Spartacus confirmed his feelings for Mira and Laeta this episode. While he found comfort in the arms of other women, the couldn't ever compare to his wife, whose theme was ever present throughout the episode.

I loved the closing credits. A great tribute to all of the characters and actors throughout all four seasons, especially the very end.

Here are articles on the ending.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...ential-spinoff
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/12/sp...even-deknight/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3071995.html
    http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00059480.html
    http://www.mcphersonsentinel.com/art...NEWS/304129948
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 13, 2013 at 06:53am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Real bittersweet ending to an Epic show.

Watch the entire show including the credits, and keep a tissue at hand!

As much as this story had a complete end, it was just sad to see it go.

Thank God for Blu Ray cause this is a MUST HAVE in anyone's collection!!!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Fantastic finale. I saw Gannicus dying two seasons ago though. He was too lovable a character not to have a tragic end. That's also how you deliver a finale, none of this Walking Dead garbage where the big twist is nothing happens.

History ruins another good ending. First 300, now this.

Great finale! Will miss this series very much.
    "Problems Weaver?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I got chills when I saw Andy at the end credits. Nice touch!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/1...spinoff?page=4

IGN: There has been some talk about a possible spinoff with Crassus and Caesar. Is anything happening with that? Is that a possibility currently?

DeKnight: I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility. I’m currently eyeball deep in this other sci-fi extravaganza [Incursion], so I’m not directly involved with it -- although, I’ve given my huge, enthusiastic blessing. I would love to see this world continue, and it’s been such a joy to be able to create such a unique show and a unique world. I think it would be a shame not to see more of it.

IGN: If it did happen -- and I know this is all speculative -- do you think it would be best to stay away from seeing Agron and Nasir and the surviving rebels again, just because we leave with them on a hopeful note?

DeKnight: Oh, absolutely. Definitely. I think if it goes on, I’ve always felt it would be great to follow the Caesar/Crassus/Pompey storyline. Or, if not that, I always have this little dream in the back of my head of those missing Gannicus years -- Gannicus, the wandering adventurer. Very much a Kane and Kung Fu kind of deal would be awesome.

IGN: It seems like you could do a miniseries about that sort of thing.

DeKnight: From your lips to Starz’ ears!
    A Gannicus spinoff would be awesome! Please let this happen