Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartacus Blood and Sand and General Talkback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Of course, we love this show and the Season set is supposed to have a nice bunch of extras.

We will be getting the blu-ray version because it has 4 enhanced directors cut versions of some episodes
    Cool! This would look great on Blu-Ray!

You seen the SDCC TV interview thingy?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

S2 is on hold again, Andys cancer has returned
    Although "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" star Andy Whitfield told Zap2it in July that he's feeling "better than ever," apparently his non-Hodgkin lymphoma has returned, causing him to leave the Starz gladiator ring for treatment.

The network states in an announcement that doctors told him to "immediately resume aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer."

"It's with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as 'Spartacus' and all the wonderful people involved. It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you sincerely for the support so far," says Whitfield.

Starz adds: "Our hearts and prayers are with Andy and his family during this difficult time. Andy is not only an incredible actor whose portrayal of Spartacus made an indelible impression on Starz audiences, he is also an amazing human being whose courage, strength, and grace in the face of adversity have inspired all of us."

In the meantime, Starz hasn't yet determined the fate of "Spartacus: Blood and Sand." Whitfield had been training for the second season, which was tentatively scheduled to air in September 2011. Plans for the series will be announced "at some later date."

"Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," the prequel to "Spartcus: Blood and Sand," will air as planned in January 2011. It stars John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Peter Mensah and Manu Bennett, along with newcomer Dustin Clare.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

S2 is on hold again, Andys cancer has returned
    Such a shame. I wish him a speedy recovery, and if that is it for the show, it has definitely been one of the best short-lived projects to date. (Though I hope he fully recovers, and that the show is able to continue!)

And how sad that this news should also come only a few days before the release of the Season 1 DVDs.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Aw man this sucks in so many ways!! I thought that this form of cancer was totally treatable?!

They are gonna have to find a replacement ain't they?
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Aw man this sucks in so many ways!! I thought that this form of cancer was totally treatable?!
    We really don't know what form it is:

However, NHL consists of 16 different conditions that have little in common with each other. They are grouped by their aggressiveness. Less aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphomas are compatible with a long survival while more aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphomas can be rapidly fatal without treatment. Without further narrowing, the label is of limited usefulness for patients or doctors.

They are gonna have to find a replacement ain't they?
    Hope not - I guess it all depends on how he does in the short term.

It's hard to imagine anybody in else in the role!
    www.eamonart.com

It's hard to imagine anybody in else in the role!
    They are stuck between a rock and a hard place, fans of the show have been very vocal about rather having the show be can canceled then recast. At the same time it is the 1st thing Starz has produced that was this successful.

My guess would be they will do the prequel as planned, then see how that does. If well possibly maybe do some more spin offs, maybe a small mini series for each of the main characters (Crixis or Doctore for example).

If Andy is able to return then S2 will be so ridiculously hyped that they will make enough to justify the long wait (just think of the PR, star fights cancer twice to return to show)

I for one hope they just kill it if he cannot continue, the show was successful solely due to his acting. You cannot just randomly throw someone else and expect it to take off like it did.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I hear what you are saying but I wouldn't go so far as to say he carried the show. He is pretty flippen great though nonetheless!!
    www.eamonart.com

I loved the show. I do hope they get him fixed so he can get back to work.
    What was will be again.........

I hear what you are saying but I wouldn't go so far as to say he carried the show. He is pretty flippen great though nonetheless!!
    well the show is called Spartacus

and the evil blond would not have been nearly as fun to watch without the chemistry she had with Andy

I am just saying replace Andy and it will fall to the same problem that killed the BBC Robin Hood and often hurts the fans of Dr Who when they replace the Dr

With that said I do think they could buy a bit of time if they utilize the remainder of the cast in the prequel

My guess would be they will do the prequel as planned, then see how that does. If well possibly maybe do some more spin offs, maybe a small mini series for each of the main characters (Crixis or Doctore for example).

If Andy is able to return then S2 will be so ridiculously hyped that they will make enough to justify the long wait (just think of the PR, star fights cancer twice to return to show)

I for one hope they just kill it if he cannot continue, the show was successful solely due to his acting. You cannot just randomly throw someone else and expect it to take off like it did.
    The good thing is they had to wrap the first season before they knew if they'd get a second, so the final episode does work as FINAL episode if need be.

I'd be perfectly fine with a series of miniseries set in the world - hopefully leading up to S2 at some point in the future.

This info really has me bummed out, as equally for my lack of show, as it is to know that beautiful Andy is so sick. That is so lousy. I haven't jumped on a show the way I did with this one in a long time. Everyone was just so great, and I love my Lucy!

Well if Starz is smart, they will do a prequel (and a good one) capitalizing on Varro, Crixus and the other likable characters in the show until Andy is able to resume...

Heck, I would take Andy as just a bit character in Season 2, as long as it means keeping the series going, and references to him as he recovers and returns to his physical peak, I just want more of this show!

Master of New Adventures!
    Just read about it on the web news sites this morning and immediately came here. Tragic...tragic. Aside from the awful sadness of this happening to him, this is one of my favorite series. Imo it was groundbreaking. There is so little excellence in television programming today. This was one of the bright spots. I'm praying for his recovery, along with the show continuing.

Got the Blu-Ray set today, it is pretty bad ass with the extended episodes. I am watching the extended version of the finale now and it was such a great episode. In light of the events of the past month it has made me sad at the prospect that this may be the last time we see Andy in the role

One of the featurettes is great for anyone wondering about how they designed the show (Glaber for instance is the first Roman to go after Spartacus so that is why they placed him early in the show, etc), and they blatently say they avoided modern English and Shakespearean English and instead made them curse like crazy

Also anyone who wants to know the real history vs the show can see it via the pop up video feature (it will tell you what actually happened while the episode plays), its called Spatacus Historicus

Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    Great series! I love it Spartacus!

Update from Exec Producer

“The two main options are to close up shop or recast,” says DeKnight. “I want to talk to Andy and find out how he feels about the options. That’s obviously very important to us.

“We’re still absorbing what’s happened,” adds DeKnight. “I think it’s going to be a little while before we reach any conclusions.” (Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, a prequel to the series, will still air as scheduled in January 2011.)

DeKnight says his primary concern remains Whitfield, who bowed out of the show’s second season after doctors advised him to resume “aggressive treatment” for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. “He’s a trooper,” marvels DeKnight. “He has a very positive outlook.”
    The newest rumor is to turn the prequel into a 13 episode "Season 2" and then see where Andy's health stands in 2012. A lot of fans have already voiced that as the option they would want, whether Starz cares has yet to be seen.

Looks like Starz has decided to go the recasting route:

The hunt for a new Spartacus has begun. In the wake of Spartacus: Blood and Sand star Andy Whitfield sadly having to leave the series after his cancer returned, the question became what the producers of the series would do. Recently, executive producer Steven S. DeKnight said they were wrestling with simply ending Spartacus or recasting the role.

EW.com's Michael Ausiello now reports that Starz has begun searching for a new star for the series, sending out a casting notice looking for "a Caucasian male in his mid to late 30s to play the 'smart, intense, passionate' title role." Ausiello also notes that Starz is looking for an actor who has an authentic British accent and that the role will include a three-year contract.

In the meantime, the prequel series, Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, is still scheduled to air in January.
    http://tv.ign.com/articles/112/1125262p1.html

I REALLY hope they can find someone who will do the part justice. It's so hard to imagine anyone but Andy in the role.....

Ilove this show. Its a naughty dirty romp. Well oiled men with toned bodies being all manly and well...yes yes...more episodes please!
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

This is an example of why we can't take Divia anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    This is an example of why we can't take Divia anywhere.
    Well, in fairness there aren't a lot of half naked oiled men with hard nipples running around. Shame, really.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

January 21st can't get here soon enough for the prequel...

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I kept wondering where they were going to go with the series. All you have to do is read a history book and know the life of Spartacus doesn't end well.

Since they have decided to recast the main actor, I think the real pressure is on the writers. They really have top themselves in the second (or third. I don't know) season if they hope to keep their fanbase.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I kept wondering where they were going to go with the series. All you have to do is read a history book and know the life of Spartacus doesn't end well.
    Its the struggle and war he fights in now that will be the main draw of the story. Death of the main character only adds to the drama of their life, look at Gladiator with Russell Crowe or the HBO Rome Series

Since they have decided to recast the main actor, I think the real pressure is on the writers. They really have top themselves in the second (or third. I don't know) season if they hope to keep their fanbase.
    Yup the writers are going to have to work magic because I maintain it was Andy himself that made the role of Spartacus so enjoyable. Hopefully they cast someone as charismatic to continue in his place.

I've seen a few episodes because it is now my brother's favourite show, but I haven't been terribly impressed. It is what it is, and I shouldn't be expecting too much, but Spartacus, the movie with Kirk Douglas, had one of the coolest endings ever; and for Roman drama, the book "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves is unparalleled.
    "Education makes a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but impossible to enslave."
    Lord Brougham 1778-1868

Quote Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post
    I've seen a few episodes because it is now my brother's favourite show, but I haven't been terribly impressed. It is what it is, and I shouldn't be expecting too much, but Spartacus, the movie with Kirk Douglas, had one of the coolest endings ever; and for Roman drama, the book "I, Claudius" by Robert Graves is unparalleled.
    Have you watched them all in order or just random ones?

If you watch them all in order you can't help but be impressed at the progression they make from the beginning

The shows first 3 episodes pretty much stink, 4-6 get better, 7-13 are just fantastic.