Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartacus Blood and Sand and General Talkback

The series hits its stride after the first 3 episodes where it was limping along and fumbling too. I couldn't watch the series on TV but I got the DVD series and wtached them in order and loved it.

Of course that being said I can see how some people would be offended by the naked bodies everywhere.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    So, I had to buy a new memory card and this guy on eBay had one for a good price as well as the Spartacus set on Blu-Ray! I picked it up because I heard good things.

Wow. I really enjoyed this show! The violence and blood was horrifying and the sex and nudity was very frequent and gritty. I'm okay with this, however, because they were dirty times.

I'm not a fan of the constant F word and both C words. Every sentence seems to include those three.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Have you watched them all in order or just random ones?

If you watch them all in order you can't help but be impressed at the progression they make from the beginning

The shows first 3 episodes pretty much stink, 4-6 get better, 7-13 are just fantastic.
    I find this really shocking, personally! From what I've seen online, most people think the first episodes are okay to terrible. I personally think episodes 1-5 could have been a mini-movie and it would have been perfect. Spartacus' transformation from man to "god," The House of Batiatus from poverty to riches and taking down the legend causing the heavens to rain and end the drought everyone suffered from since episode one. It was very moving and poetic.

Episode 6 was a major disappointment for me, honestly. Episode six was so epic. The show was still really good, but I think it wasn't as strong for a few episodes and then it got its stride again.

I mean, after his wife died the only real story point that was in the viewer's mind was "when is he going to find out who ordered her death?" and "what will he do?" A few episodes later they added more story points and twists that made the story really interesting again, though.

Another big thing I think the reason the episodes started to suffer (for me, at least) is that they were killing off too many of the likeable characters. At the end of the series, here's who I care about that remains alive:

- Spartacus
    - Crixus
    - Naevia

That's three characters!

Besides them, I cared about the following:

- Barca
    - Pietros
    - Lucrecia
    - Varros
    - Sura
    - Segovax (he seemed really interesting and like he was going to be a new rival. Kind of wasted potential there)

The characters you WANT to die, refuse to do so. I'm looking at you Ilithyia and Ashur!

Interesting fact: Many actors are from other shows the producers had a hand in!

Xena: Warrior Princess:

Lucrecia: Xena
    Crixus: Marc Antony
    Barca: Two characters on Xena, 2 others on Hercules

Legend of the Seeker:

Claudius Glaber: Darken Rahl
    Barca: Denfir
    Segovax: Lieutenant

Power Rangers:

Segovax: Thor (Operation Overdrive)
    Pietros: Scott truman/Red Eagle Ranger (RPM)

As a side-note, I was SHOCKED the first time I saw Lucy Lawless naked! I guess she isn't as shy as she was when she sang the national anthem and her boob popped out.

I was also shocked to see the Red Power Ranger being...umm...ridden... ...and then return to Power Rangers for one episode this year!

EDIT: I haven't seen the prequel season yet (which is why I'm staying out of that thread). Please don't spoil it for me. I won't get to see it unless I download it or it comes out on Blu-Ray finally.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; April 22, 2011 at 11:06pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Prequel is even better. The writers knew exactly what this show and who it's audience was when they started creating it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Prequel is even better. The writers knew exactly what this show and who it's audience was when they started creating it.
    That's exciting to hear! I hope they release it soon. It's available for pre-order:

http://www.amazon.com/Spartacus-Gods...SIN=B004HW7JMY

Oh, I do have a question for those out there that own Blood and Sand on Blu-Ray:

Did you have any problems with the discs?

I've read about a few people not being able to play discs 3 or 4 at all. I didn't have that problem, but discs 2 and 3 did give me problems. Disc 2, luckily, played in my PS3 error free, but disc 3 still gave me problems. It's the part where Ashur finally accepts money from Salloneous and Ilithyia tells Lucrecia she will take on what Crixus has to offer. Almost that whole conversation is skipped...so I didn't get to hear what was wrong with her husband's...actions.

I updated my Samsung player and cleaned it with a special Blu-Ray cleaning disc, but it didn't help. I have another, really cheap player and it had even worse playing problems. This is the first Blu-Ray I have ever owned that had problems.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Interesting fact: Many actors are from other shows the producers had a hand in!

Xena: Warrior Princess:

Lucrecia: Xena
    Crixus: Marc Antony
    Barca: Two characters on Xena, 2 others on Hercules

Legend of the Seeker:

Claudius Glaber: Darken Rahl
    Barca: Denfir
    Segovax: Lieutenant

Power Rangers:

Segovax: Thor (Operation Overdrive)
    Pietros: Scott truman/Red Eagle Ranger (RPM)

Wow, my mind is officially blown! I never even realized how a lot of those characters looked so familiar. Thanks for the trivia!
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post

Wow, my mind is officially blown! I never even realized how a lot of those characters looked so familiar. Thanks for the trivia!
    No problem. I was shocked most about Marc Antony because...he and Xena (disguised as Cleopatra) had a thing...and Lucrecia and Crixus had a thing too!

...and

Red Power Ranger!

No problem. I was shocked most about Marc Antony because...he and Xena (disguised as Cleopatra) had a thing...and Lucrecia and Crixus had a thing too!

http://images.wikia.com/hercxena/ima..._and_M_Ant.jpg

...and

Red Power Ranger!

http://worldofblackheroes.files.word...7_534531_n.jpg
    That's some great diggin you did there. Now that you've mentioned it, I do recall the actor who played Barca from Hercules, and I vaugely remember Peitro as a Power Ranger. The fact that they have Manu Bennett and Lucy Lawless together again is way cool! Lucy is a cool chick and Manu is all kinds of man! Wow! He makes me crazy.

I'm also glad you're enjoying Spartacus. I thought it was fantastic, and the prequel mini series left me soooooooooooooooo hungry for more!

Also, doesn't Sam Raimi and the guy who played Ioles in Hercules have a hand in the development of this series, too? I could have sworn their names were in the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    That's some great diggin you did there. Now that you've mentioned it, I do recall the actor who played Barca from Hercules, and I vaugely remember Peitro as a Power Ranger. The fact that they have Manu Bennett and Lucy Lawless together again is way cool! Lucy is a cool chick and Manu is all kinds of man! Wow! He makes me crazy.

I'm also glad you're enjoying Spartacus. I thought it was fantastic, and the prequel mini series left me soooooooooooooooo hungry for more!
    I love Lucy Lawless. I haven't finished watching all the Xena DVDs (I have the whole set). Throughout the whole show I keep calling Lucrecia, Xena! I was sad at what happened to her in the finale though. She's pretty bad, but not horrible bad. I mean...she never killed anyone and even let Naevia live! I was really surprised she didn't kill her.

There's the possibility she's still alive (because she never died in the episode...she was just left dying), but I don't know. If Crixus can live after having his guts starting to spill out during the Theocalese fight...she may have a chance.

I think I will really enjoy the prequel, but I'm not sure how I will enjoy Season 2 when it starts airing. I mean...they've killed off all my favourite characters but 3 (and I only started really caring about Naevia because she's shown she's cunning near the end with the key thing...but she's going to be dead or a different actress...so I might not even like her...or the NEW Spartacus).

It will be interesting to see what happens next. I NEED to see Ilithyia die.

Characters I want(ed) to see die:

- Solonius: very satisfying to see!
    - Batiatus: also great
    - Numerious: wasn't sure it would happen that way, excited it did!
    - Ashur: I hated him since the very second he was shown in the series and he keeps escaping death! TORTURE!
    - Ilithyia: same as Ashur
    - Caudius Glaber (Ilithyia's husband): he's a frustrating character, but I want to see him as the big bad for season 2...and then die. I hope Spartacus slays his wife at his feet near the beginning of the series though.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    Also, doesn't Sam Raimi and the guy who played Ioles in Hercules have a hand in the development of this series, too? I could have sworn their names were in the credits.
    Yep. Sam Raimi and Robert G. Tapert are both executive producers (both did Legend of The Seeker, Xena and Hercules). I just discovered Ioles (Michael Hurst) directed some episodes!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; April 23, 2011 at 03:30am.

I NEED to see Ilithyia die.
    I agree. I don't think I've ever wanted to see a character killed more. She does her job of making me hate her well.

7-22 we get our next glimpse in the Spartacus story!!

STARZ TO FEATURE ‘TORCHWOOD’ AND ‘SPARTACUS’ AT 2011 COMIC-CON ON FRIDAY, JULY 22ND

Cast of Highly Anticipated Series, ‘Torchwood: Miracle Day,’ Including Stars John Barrowman, Eve Myles, Bill Pullman, Mekhi Phifer, Alexa Havins, Lauren Ambrose and Writer Jane Espenson To Appear on Panel at 10am PT/Room 20; Special Advanced Screening of Episode 103 of Series on Thursday, July 21st at 9:30pm PT in Room 6DE

Liam McIntyre, Star of ‘Spartacus: Vengeance’ To Be Introduced to Fans at 5:45pm PT/Room 6BCF Along with Fellow Leads Dustin Clare, Lucy Lawless, Manu Bennett, Katrina Law and EP Steven S. DeKnight

For Immediate Release – STARZ will bring the casts of two of its most riveting original series, “Torchwood: Miracle Day” and “Spartacus: Vengeance” to 2011 San Diego Comic-Con on Friday, July 22nd, it was announced today. For “Torchwood: Miracle Day,” set to debut on STARZ, Friday, July 8th at 10pm ET/PT, the panel willfeature: Torchwood alum John Barrowman (Capt. Jack Harkness), Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper), and new headliners Bill Pullman (Oswald Danes), Mekhi Phifer (Rex Matheson), Alexa Havins (Ester Drummand), Lauren Ambrose (Jilly Kitzinger) and writer Jane Espenson.

Highlights of the “Spartacus: Vengeance” panel (slated to premiere on STARZ in 2012) will include fans’ first-ever opportunity to meet the new Spartacus, Liam McIntyre (Spartacus), along with stars Lucy Lawless (Lucretia),Dustin Clare (Gannicus), Manu Bennett (Crixus), Katrina Law (Mira) and Executive Producer and Head Writer Steven S. DeKnight.

About “Spartacus: Vengeance” (Premiering 2012)

From the time “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” debuted on Starz in January 2010, it established itself as an epic production with rich storytelling and visuals unlike anything seen previously on any TV show. Also starring John Hannah as Batiatus, Lucy Lawless as Lucretia, Peter Mensah as Doctore, Manu Bennett as Crixus and Viva Bianca as Ilythia, “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” was one of the most talked-about and best-loved TV shows of 2010. Season two of the series finds Spartacus and his fellow gladiators now out of Capua and engaged in the massive slave rebellion against Roman society that has echoed through time. “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena,” the six-part prequel that told the story of the House of Batiatus gladiator school, and the intricate personal, sexual and political maneuverings in Capua five years before “Blood and Sand” was set, debuted in January 2011.

In season two of the popular series, Liam McIntyre takes over the role of the Thracian warrior sold into slavery in the Roman Republic city of Capua – where he rises to become the champion of the city – before leading the slave revolt that ended the first season. The part was played in the first season by acclaimed Andy Whitfield, who was forced to leave the show due to health issues. “Spartacus: Vengeance” recently began production in New Zealand.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Lucy Lawless is coming back for season 2? Are they bringing her character back to life?

She never died. Just stabbed.

Lucy Lawless is coming back for season 2? Are they bringing her character back to life?
    I would imagine if she is dead they would be using her in Flashbacks, S1 had a lot of Flashbacks to show you Spartacus before he was handed over as a slave
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

So Gannicus will be in Season 2, eh? Wonder how they'll play that off with the way Gods of the Arena ended. Glad to hear Mira's coming back - I've had a huge crush on her character for a while.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

That was my first thought.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Spartacus: Vengeance

just started watching this show last month..

i started to hit the gym Even harder now
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

The new guy fits the "look" of the role, cannot wait for S2 to start!

He does look pretty similar to the previous Spartacus. Not sure how he'll sound though. Good casting based on looks. The first one is the better looking of the two, though.

The first one is the better looking of the two, though.
    so sorry to have dissappointed your needs

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The new guy fits the "look" of the role, cannot wait for S2 to start!
    I know! I loved all the sex and violence and naked men with their junk hanging out. Freaking awesome!
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I know! I loved all the sex and violence and naked men with their junk hanging out. Freaking awesome!
    easy now

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    so sorry to have dissappointed your needs
    ... I just "need" him to be as good of an actor as the first.

After hearing about this show, I snagged the DVD set on Amazon for only $1. After the fourth episode, things really got going and I just wanted to spend all days watching the show. I couldn't watch it quickly enough. LOVE IT.

How I miss Varro and his sex scenes. SWOOOON!
    I want to smurf your smurf.