Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartacus Blood and Sand and General Talkback

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    I didn't catch most of episode 3 (just the end actually) but what was the point of him losing and asking for mercy? It was like a political statement (by him) as Batiatus seemed almost pleased. Was it part of a master plan "Spartacus" cooked up...
    None of that, the entire episode was Spartacus going against what was expected of him. He was not supposed to be in that fight because he was inexperienced (he was set to start off the games, not end them) but instead he attacked Crixus in front of all of Batiatus guests and so Batiatus was forced to promote Spartacus to the main event.

Spartacus did not listen to Doctore and because of that Crixus whipped his ass, he submitted at the end most likely to stay alive to fight for his wife (hence the imagery of him grabbing his wifes ribbon before raising the two fingers).

Batiatus was happy because it meant Spartacus was humbled, after the entire episode of Spartacus doing whatever regardless of his masters orders I would be pleased too if the person causing me grief was forced to submit.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I watched the first three episodes, and I don't know what to think at the moment.

Watched Spartacus premier!

I was both rocked and annoyed by it. There's just too much 300, Gladiator and Rome in there for it to feel any way original.
    I love my blood and sex but there's was waaay too much of both for it to be taken seriously.

It's like they said they saw what folks liked and decide to milk it.

I felt this way after one episode so hopefully it will calm down after a few episodes.
    It's presented very well so I'd be stupid to judge it after one episode.

I'm gonna watch the second episode tonight.

Lets hope they have calmed down a bit a realised that by having lots boobs and blood you make it only for adults. Adults, (who are generally expected to have higher tastes than a teen boy) in some cases they need a bit more than that to spend an hour of their time.

I'm delighted they made a show like this but by making it so blatant, you may run the risk of people once again drawing obvious conclusions about the genre of sword & sandle.

At least this show covers new ground.
    I mean when have we ever seen a little person running around with a dildo on his head in a Roman spa!

He's either very lucky or very unfortunate to have such gig!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I felt this way after one episode so hopefully it will calm down after a few episodes.
    It's presented very well so I'd be stupid to judge it after one episode.

I'm gonna watch the second episode tonight.
    The 2nd and 3rd episode are nowhere near as graphic or violent, they are much better written and acted.

The 1st episode should have been 2hrs long and been E1 and E2 because they are night and day in how they flow.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Oh cool! Well I'm just about to go watch it!

Edit: Well I have to say that I very much enjoyed that episode! This was far better I think.

Liked the story, fights and all the intrique. And Miss Lawless has a nice pair doesn't she??
    We've always read about Roman decadance but it's another thing seeing it and seeing the servants stepping to it was a bit mad!
    It's also good to have full on male nudity too keeping the balance and giving us a fairer picture of life back then.
    Though I doubt any of em were as ripped as some of those dudes.

Am I correct in sayin that this show has already been picked up for a second season?
    www.eamonart.com

Am I correct in sayin that this show has already been picked up for a second season?
    Yes a 2nd season has already been picked up and its in the process of writing as they finish filming Season 1.

Cool!
    Gonna watch the third episode tonight!
    www.eamonart.com

The 3rd episode is pretty good (and I basically spoiled the ending above so I apologize)

It sets in motion a lot of things I think that are coming story wise

Oh I've forgotten what you said now so it's cool!

I also hope we see more of Lawless.
    I never fancied her before now.
    www.eamonart.com

Oh I've forgotten what you said now so it's cool!

I also hope we see more of Lawless.
    I never fancied her before now.
    I'm sure we'll see a lot more of her. There was an interview where she mentioned being fit for a merkin.

Ya know, I had to look up the word 'merkin'!
    www.eamonart.com

Well Episode 5 was a return to the 300 style effects and gore but it was a pretty good episode overall.

Episode 5 was kick ass I thought! The battle with Spartcus, Crixus and Theocoles was epic.

Really liking the subplots too.
    www.eamonart.com

Episode 5 was kick ass I thought! The battle with Spartcus, Crixus and Theocoles was epic.

Really liking the subplots too.
    Yeah, I was wondering what it was going to take to bring down Theocoles

Going by the previews, it doesn't look that interesting to me. I liked 300 but I don't need to see that stuff all the time. Just seems like they're biting 300's style. Plus, I'm not a prude, but all the gratuitous sex that gets thrown into these shows (like Rome, or Deadwood, etc) just turns me off. I'd rather just see a cool story and good action.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    Going by the previews, it doesn't look that interesting to me. I liked 300 but I don't need to see that stuff all the time. Just seems like they're biting 300's style. Plus, I'm not a prude, but all the gratuitous sex that gets thrown into these shows (like Rome, or Deadwood, etc) just turns me off. I'd rather just see a cool story and good action.
    The previews do not do it justice, so far the only real gore was in the 1st episode. And sex is not used as much as it is in the HBO and Showtime shows, the last episode if I remember correctly did not have any sex at all.

Just watched all 5 eps over the weekend, and so far I'm enjoying it. Not loving it, but enjoying.

The 1st 4 eps (like most new shows) started off a bit slow, as they're laying the foundation for the premise & season, but the last ep really kicked up my enthusiasm. Looking forward to the rest of the season....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Sex was big part of life back in those times so to me it adds to the realism.
    Christianity has turned us all to prudes.

There have been one or two scenes that were unnecessary, especially in the first two episodes.
    www.eamonart.com

Sex was big part of life back in those times so to me it adds to the realism.
    Christianity has turned us all to prudes.

There have been one or two scenes that were unnecessary, especially in the first two episodes.
    Well, for me, it's not so much being a prude, but more like "OK OK... yeah, sweaty bodies, breasts, butts... yeah yeah, see it all the time these days... pretty gratuitous.... can we just get on with the show?"

So for me, it's not a prude thing, it's more a boring, overdone thing. Like these days, you can't make a show without it.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Leave the sex out and you leave a massive part of the picture out.

Maybe there could be a series that has no sex but that's not what this series is.
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    Well, for me, it's not so much being a prude, but more like "OK OK... yeah, sweaty bodies, breasts, butts... yeah yeah, see it all the time these days... pretty gratuitous.... can we just get on with the show?"

So for me, it's not a prude thing, it's more a boring, overdone thing. Like these days, you can't make a show without it.
    Well so far at least it seems when they use sex it has a purpose, unlike in ROME where it just seemed to be there for gratuitous reasons. I mean I have a bachelors in History and extensive study on that time of Roman History so I know how indulgent they were but there were times in ROME where it was like ALRIGHT ALREADY I GET IT

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Well so far at least it seems when they use sex it has a purpose, unlike in ROME where it just seemed to be there for gratuitous reasons. I mean I have a bachelors in History and extensive study on that time of Roman History so I know how indulgent they were but there were times in ROME where it was like ALRIGHT ALREADY I GET IT
    Oh Cool!
    Do you know at what stage of the Roman Empire this is based? Pretty early on I'd imagine.

I'd love to know more about the relationship between the Roman and Greeks gods if you know about that? I know there are pretty much the same deities except with different names.
    www.eamonart.com

Oh Cool!
    Do you know at what stage of the Roman Empire this is based? Pretty early on I'd imagine.
    VERY early on, they do not really give a date but it is sometime before 73BC because Spartacus is involved in the slave uprising around that time (which is I think we will see near the end of Season 1) and that means that Julius Caesar would not reign for almost 24 more years (which is when ROME starts taking place)...at least that is how I think it plays out given what we have seen

I'd love to know more about the relationship between the Roman and Greeks gods if you know about that? I know there are pretty much the same deities except with different names.
    Well its not something that you can write down in like a paragraph

It changed from province to province, some gods also played multiple roles.

But without generalizing too much the Romans did co-opt a lot of the Greek gods into their structure, however I think it would be too much to say they just changed the name to Roman ones and were done with it.

Sorry markatisu! I never did say thanks for that info. I'm facinated with the Romans. I think living in Rome at the height of it's power would've been something.

Loved episode six and was quite shocked as to how the story was turned on it's ass.

On a slightly different note! I find it interesting that we have a TV series that has swords and boobs in and yet you would think folks who like MOTU would be into this.

I know the Conan fans are loving this series. Strange MOTU fans (on here anyways) do not.

Sometimes I hate Filmation! I invite folks to read into that how they may!
    www.eamonart.com

I thought Episode 6 was by far the best of the series.

In this one episode they pulled all these disparate threads together in a clever way to set things up for everyone rallying around a revolt against Batiatus.

And thank god they've toned down the slo-mo and blood spray. I thought both were overused to the point of distraction - especially in the first episode.