Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC KARG - 1987 Comic Book? Could it be done?

That excellent Penny, I'd be totally happy with that in Classics
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    So based on the recent WTFWTK http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...o-WTFWTK-2-137! , I think there is new hope for Karg in Classics!

Heroic Warrior
    Hmmm I think he would be better on the slimmer lizard man body , with a overlay armour deal

It would be great to finally have that curious quartet.
    Not keen on that custom though. Karg always seemed pretty short and thin. Would be far better with the smaller buck used for Modulok or Lizard man.

In a perfect world Mattel 'unlocks' all of the major movie cast heroes and villains and by consequence does away with this pretense that they are unable to use the movie likenesses- which is obviously not the case. Sure Blade doesn't look exactly like the actor who played him, nor does Gwildor look like a dead-on Billy Barty, but I think it's fair to say these likenesses were attempted and for the most part the Horsemen nailed it.

What we really need is a MOTU movie mini-sub containing the following: Karg, Beast Man, Palace Trooper, Sorceress and Man-at-Arms- with God Skeletor as the sub sell-in. This is of course assuming that Laser-Light He-man coming in '15 will fill be movie likeness He-man, essentially filling that slot, and that eventually Mattel would find a way to get us a movie accurate Teela.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Would be amazing to finally get him.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    In a perfect world Mattel 'unlocks' all of the major movie cast heroes and villains and by consequence does away with this pretense that they are unable to use the movie likenesses- which is obviously not the case. Sure Blade doesn't look exactly like the actor who played him, nor does Gwildor look like a dead-on Billy Barty, but I think it's fair to say these likenesses were attempted and for the most part the Horsemen nailed it.

What we really need is a MOTU movie mini-sub containing the following: Karg, Beast Man, Palace Trooper, Sorceress and Man-at-Arms- with God Skeletor as the sub sell-in. This is of course assuming that Laser-Light He-man coming in '15 will fill be movie likeness He-man, essentially filling that slot, and that eventually Mattel would find a way to get us a movie accurate Teela.
    As far as we know, they need the movie license to do most of these characters. Something may have changed recently behind the scenes where maybe they're more comfortable doing something like Karg which they have more of a legitimate claim on. But for the majority I'd imagine they'd still need the movie license (and last I heard the rights holders wanted too much money, but again that could have changed). Mattel can't just "unlock' the characters without fear of a lawsuit.

Great news, hopefully it's look more positive for getting Karg from the comic/magazine

Wanted:

Sign me for up a Karg.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

They will not risk upsetting Sony over making figure they might not have rights to. Not worth the risk if even small chance it could lead into any legal fees.

Unfortunately.
    Last edited by Invicta; January 17, 2015 at 09:19am.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Karg came in first in the org Comics and Other Media poll in 2013:
    http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=3497

He'd be rockin' in 2017..

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    As far as we know, they need the movie license to do most of these characters. Something may have changed recently behind the scenes where maybe they're more comfortable doing something like Karg which they have more of a legitimate claim on. But for the majority I'd imagine they'd still need the movie license (and last I heard the rights holders wanted too much money, but again that could have changed). Mattel can't just "unlock' the characters without fear of a lawsuit.
    Well, Mattel was able to "unlock" POP, so let's hope eventually they can do the same with the movie rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Karg came in first in the org Comics and Other Media poll in 2013:
    http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=3497

He'd be rockin' in 2017..
    Thanks for posting this comic page! Reminds me how much I love those comics. They really did a huge amount for furthering the brand and inspiring kids to want more figures. Kids like me! And if they also help lock in the possibility of getting Karg in '16 (or '15 for that matter) then all the better.

Well, Mattel was able to "unlock" POP, so let's hope eventually they can do the same with the movie rights.
    I don't quite get what you mean by "unlock." Do you mean they're just going to say "Screw the movie rights, we're going to make a Karg!"? Because that's not what they did with POP, AFAIK, they made figures from the style guides (which they owned), and they did eventually pick up the Filmation rights (to make characters like Shadow Weaver and Madame Razz, although the theory I think at the time was that they owned the rights for quite a while before that).

Of course, something could change, there was a change in management recently, the people upstairs could be singing a different tune. Or maybe something changed with the movies rights holders and they were able to work out a deal? Either way, I don't expect them to just do a Karg without legal signing off on it first (the Masters rights are very convoluted, though, so legal might be saying something different now than the last time they brought up Karg).

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    I don't quite get what you mean by "unlock." Do you mean they're just going to say "Screw the movie rights, we're going to make a Karg!"? Because that's not what they did with POP, AFAIK, they made figures from the style guides (which they owned), and they did eventually pick up the Filmation rights (to make characters like Shadow Weaver and Madame Razz, although the theory I think at the time was that they owned the rights for quite a while before that).

Of course, something could change, there was a change in management recently, the people upstairs could be singing a different tune. Or maybe something changed with the movies rights holders and they were able to work out a deal? Either way, I don't expect them to just do a Karg without legal signing off on it first (the Masters rights are very convoluted, though, so legal might be saying something different now than the last time they brought up Karg).
    Mattel could conceivably make a Karg figure based on his design in the US Magazine because Mattel/Dreamworks do indeed have the rights to the magazines. It's very possible that this specific version of Karg falls within the Filmation//Jetlag/other entertainment media deal. In fact, they probably COULD do it with no problems. Despite this loophole, they decided to err on the side of caution as far as a figure goes (which I totally get). Nevertheless, I think reevaluating the character, based on a design they could probably do, might yield some positive results. Even if, say, they can't use the name "Karg," Mattel could use their 80s magazine design, call him "Tina-Turner-Hair-Man," and get that figure out there so that collectors can complete their evil warriors & movie bad guys.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; January 16, 2015 at 06:29pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Mattel could conceivably make a Karg figure based on his design in the US Magazine because Mattel/Dreamworks do indeed have the rights to the magazines. It's very possible that this specific version of Karg falls within the Filmation//Jetlag/other entertainment media deal. In fact, they probably COULD do it with no problems. Despite this loophole, they decided to err on the side of caution as far as a figure goes (which I totally get). Nevertheless, I think reevaluating the character, based on a design they could probably do, might yield some positive results. Even if, say, they can't use the name "Karg," Mattel could use their 80s magazine design, call him "Tina-Turner-Hair-Man," and get that figure out there so that collectors can complete their evil warriors & movie bad guys.
    On the recent RGD episode where Scott Neitlich talked about leaving Mattel he used the term "unlock" when describing how Mattel was finally able to make a 200x inspired He-man head. He said that style had finally been "unlocked", which is a term I assume relates to when the company can use a style, character, or aspect of the lore; either due to legal reasons or managerial stylistic choices. Anyway, Penny pretty much nailed my thoughts on it and what I intended to say.

Karg's never been high on my must-have list, but since Blade and Gwildor turned out so well, I could see being won over by a Four Horsemen action figure of him. I'd settle for how he appears in the comic shown above, but I think it would be fantastic if they could pull a Grizzlor with this one and give him "real" hair, which would be a nice nod to how he looks in the movie without overstepping any boundaries.

Honestly, I don't know for sure whether they could use Karg, even with the magazine appearance. It seems logical that they could, but the legal issues could be more complex than that, I just don't know. As far as I know with Karg, it was at least partially a gentleman's agreement - we're going to do it the right way and secure the movie rights, because we wouldn't want someone stepping so close to our IP either.

I think I remember either reading or hearing about how the MOTU rights are extremely complex. So much so, and there being so many viable characters, that the legal team doesn't even bother nailing down some of the more obscure ones. It could possibly be that the last time TG asked legal said "no," but now they've invested more time into the issue, and they think he's OK to do?

Either way, without legal signing off on the rights, they're not going to make the figure. Whether that requires the movie rights or not is another issue.

Or maybe the answer on WTFWTK was a little too optimistic and nothing has changed and there's no chance for a Karg?

On the recent RGD episode where Scott Neitlich talked about leaving Mattel he used the term "unlock" when describing how Mattel was finally able to make a 200x inspired He-man head. He said that style had finally been "unlocked", which is a term I assume relates to when the company can use a style, character, or aspect of the lore; either due to legal reasons or managerial stylistic choices. Anyway, Penny pretty much nailed my thoughts on it and what I intended to say.
    I think in that context, "unlock" means something a little different. They've always had the rights to 200x, there was no legal question there like there is with Karg. The reason they were against 200x for so long is because 200x was considered a failure, and management wanted to distance MOTUC from it. Now that MOTUC has proven itself, they've "leveled up" and management feels safe having 200x stylings in the line.

But, ya I get what you're saying, but I think something significant would have to change before we see Karg in MOTUC (although who knows maybe there will be a surprise at Toy Faire).

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    If they were smart Karg would be the 2016 lead in figure for the sub, but its a legal thing im guessing anyway.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Warrior
    Ralph Macchio can make anything happen! Ask Ralph.

I hope Mattel can find a way to make Karg happen. Movie likeness is preferred, but I'd take the comic representation. Seems to me Karg would look OK with the normal buck. That's how I'd expect him in Classics style.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Karg, the Twigget trio, Starburst She-Ra, Montork, and Dre-Elle are my most wanted characters at this point. I really hope they find a way to make him (and the rest of them!) happen by the end of 2016.
    Aaron’s Top 10 (In Order):
    Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy, The Twiggets, Stridor, Catra’s Cat Form, Kay-La, Skeleteen, Mini Comics Garn, Spinwit, FILMation King Miro

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I hope that they find a way to make Karg for MOTUC.
    Does Galactus fart?

I can honestly say that, while he's not even in my personal top 10 (which is quite unrealistic), if he is not made he will be the biggest hole in my collection after The Twiggets and a few NA characters. If there is a loophole I hope they find it!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2018!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    They will not risk upsetting Sony over making figure they might not have rights to. Not worth the risk if even small chance it could lead into any legal fees.

Unfortunately.
    I don't think Sony have anything to do with it do they? It's WB who own the rights to the 87 movie and Mattel/DreamWorks who owns the rights to the US He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Magazine.

Wanted:

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I don't think Sony have anything to do with it do they? It's WB who own the rights to the 87 movie and Mattel/DreamWorks who owns the rights to the US He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Magazine.
    I remembered Toyguru talking with Sony about this, however perhaps I am wrong, so in that case let me state this:

They will not risk upsetting Warner Bross over making figure they might not have rights to. Not worth the risk if even small chance it could lead into any legal fees.

Unfortunately.