Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 136

Thread: MOTUC KARG - 1987 Comic Book? Could it be done?

  1. #76
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I remembered Toyguru talking with Sony about this, however perhaps I am wrong, so in that case let me state this:

    They will not risk upsetting Warner Bross over making figure they might not have rights to. Not worth the risk if even small chance it could lead into any legal fees.

    Unfortunately.
    If, say, NECA made 'KARG' from the 1987 Motion Picture 'Masters of the Universe'' in their 80s sci-fi/fantasy movie line would that be possible?

  2. #77
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    5,896
    Bottom line is Mattel is going back and taking a new look at the Karg issue to see if they have any rights to him or not. In the past Mattel did not have the rights to the 87 movie, but Karg did appear in comics that mattel had all the rights to so there could be a slim chance that if they have the rights to him in comic form they might make him. Then there is the chance Mattel and the new owners to the 87 movie rights strike a deal for some movie characters to be made similar to how Mattel has filmation rights to make filmation MOTU & POP characters now even though mattel does not own the filmation rights solely.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

    Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.


    Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

    Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

  3. #78
    Evil Warrior Invicta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragar View Post
    If, say, NECA made 'KARG' from the 1987 Motion Picture 'Masters of the Universe'' in their 80s sci-fi/fantasy movie line would that be possible?
    Only if NECA had the license to use MOTU and second license to the film, as far as I can see.

    I do not know if the comic really can change the rights issues. I just remain sceptical as the character was made for the movie.

  4. #79
    Heroic Warrior Hy-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Germania, in the Dark Hemisphere...
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I just remain sceptical as the character was made for the movie.
    But so were Blade, Saurod and Gwildor, only they also got action figures as well.
    I'm not completely in the loop on this, but isn't that the only real difference between those and Karg? Or are there other issues that stopped Karg from getting a vintage action figure in the first place?

  5. #80
    Evil Warrior Invicta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    955
    Quote Originally Posted by Hy-Man View Post
    But so were Blade, Saurod and Gwildor, only they also got action figures as well.
    I'm not completely in the loop on this, but isn't that the only real difference between those and Karg? Or are there other issues that stopped Karg from getting a vintage action figure in the first place?
    Back at 80ties? I keep hearing he would have been in wave2, if the figures had sold well, but He-man sales were on decline by then. I do not think anyone has produced any single 100% certain reason why he never got made... movie not doing great is likely the reason.

    Today: Mattel only can do the movie characters that were originally figures, and even then they have to base the new figures on the figure (not on actors). For some reason Mattel did not think important to retain all rights to everything back in the day, thus the Filmation issues etc in the past.

  6. #81
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA NOLA
    Posts
    1,204
    Well if they end up being unable to do Karg, the castle of power has you covered ...well at least the head ( coming soon ) shameless plug over

  7. #82
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,656
    Karg3.jpg

    karg! Karg!! Kaaarrrrrg!!!!
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra, Slamurai, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Mini-Comic/Vintage Toy costume Catra, The Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, The Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro.

    Filmation Variants: Prince Adam, Adora, Count Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Modulok, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form

  8. #83
    Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Karg3.jpg

    karg! Karg!! Kaaarrrrrg!!!!
    Do you know something that we don't, or are you just expressing your want and desire for Karg?
    Does Galactus fart?

  9. #84
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    Do you know something that we don't, or are you just expressing your want and desire for Karg?
    I'm encouraging people to be VOCAL about this character. Penny Dreadful started the new ball rolling... Mattel will listen... they have already. We just need to be sure not to let them think we've lost interest!







    These are all created by Tom Bryski. I saw them posted in a fan group on Facebook and figured I'd put them here. I think he did a great job!
    Last edited by bcrduke; January 23, 2015 at 03:50am.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra, Slamurai, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Mini-Comic/Vintage Toy costume Catra, The Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, The Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro.

    Filmation Variants: Prince Adam, Adora, Count Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Modulok, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form

  10. #85
    Heroic Warrior bamf1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cotonou, Benin, Africa
    Posts
    3,105
    Tom's design is great! I'd be proud to have a Karg that looks like that on my shelf.
    Aaron’s Top 10 (In Order):
    Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy, The Twiggets, Stridor, Catra’s Cat Form, Kay-La, Skeleteen, Mini Comics Garn, Spinwit, FILMation King Miro

  11. #86
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    7,534
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Karg3.jpg

    karg! Karg!! Kaaarrrrrg!!!!
    That's awesome. And yes...Karg is a must!

  12. #87
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Today: Mattel only can do the movie characters that were originally figures, and even then they have to base the new figures on the figure (not on actors).
    But, so far, both Blade and Gwildor have turned out 100% faithful to their movie looks, instead of to their vintage toy looks. In fact, the 4H have made them so realistically similar to their "real life" counterparts, that these two figures (even though in themselves look fantastic) have ended up looking way too overdetailed to blend in well with the majority of the other, less realistic-looking MotUC figures (especially the too "cartoonishly underdetailed" Filmation characters, such as Strong Arm, that the 4H made too much in their simplified cartoon images without adding to them enough of their missing-in-the-cartoon-for-budgetary-reasons but necessary-at-7"-scale-MotUC-figure detail).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Tom's design is great! I'd be proud to have a Karg that looks like that on my shelf.
    Uh? He seems to have just taken a photo of the movie likeness of Karg (there are many floating around on the web), set it to high-contrast yellowish-bluish bichrome, and then added a reddish overlay retouch to some parts. Yes, the end result looks cool as a poster for promoting the character, but I don't think it's right to call this his "design" of Karg. It's just movie Karg from a different color angle.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  13. #88
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,280
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Karg3.jpg

    karg! Karg!! Kaaarrrrrg!!!!
    Seconded, Thirded and whatevered!!
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  14. #89
    Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    1,634
    Karg for president.
    Does Galactus fart?

  15. #90
    Heroic Warrior Triklops 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eternos
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    Karg for president.
    Well now thats enough !

    anyway I'm a fan of penny and if she wants a karg figure I'm fine with that, just for sake of curiosity how high is the demand for this character on the org?? Guess we need a 87 movie poll soon
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."

  16. #91
    Heroic Warrior Tundra_Torque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen, NC
    Posts
    1,656
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Tom's design is great! I'd be proud to have a Karg that looks like that on my shelf.
    Me too! I really want Karg!
    Master Sebrian for MOTUC!

  17. #92
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Uh? He seems to have just taken a photo of the movie likeness of Karg (there are many floating around on the web), set it to high-contrast yellowish-bluish bichrome, and then added a reddish overlay retouch to some parts. Yes, the end result looks cool as a poster for promoting the character, but I don't think it's right to call this his "design" of Karg. It's just movie Karg from a different color angle.
    He's talking about Tom's very cool magazine Karg figure concept below the Obama poster-inspired image. Scroll up to see it.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; January 23, 2015 at 03:04pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

  18. #93
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,656
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Uh? He seems to have just taken a photo of the movie likeness of Karg (there are many floating around on the web), set it to high-contrast yellowish-bluish bichrome, and then added a reddish overlay retouch to some parts. Yes, the end result looks cool as a poster for promoting the character, but I don't think it's right to call this his "design" of Karg. It's just movie Karg from a different color angle.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3541474

    It's my friend Tom's design of how he would like to see the figure done. They weren't referring to the "Karg for President"-style pic

    And the whole point is that mimics the stylized posters / Jpegs used during the first campaign Obama ran for for president.

    It's not just a random "high-contrast yellowish-bluish bichrome" with "a reddish overlay retouch."

    The president used that and underneath were the words: "Yes We Can."

    I think the point was to create a Yes We Can Have Karg campaign lol
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra, Slamurai, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Mini-Comic/Vintage Toy costume Catra, The Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, The Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro.

    Filmation Variants: Prince Adam, Adora, Count Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Modulok, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form

  19. #94
    Heroic Warrior Barezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Posts
    2,261
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3541474

    It's my friend Tom's design of how he would like to see the figure done. They weren't referring to the "Karg for President"-style pic

    And the whole point is that mimics the stylized posters / Jpegs used during the first campaign Obama ran for for president.

    It's not just a random "high-contrast yellowish-bluish bichrome" with "a reddish overlay retouch."

    The president used that and underneath were the words: "Yes We Can."

    I think the point was to create a Yes We Can Have Karg campaign lol
    Sometimes subtlety is lost

    We have gotten a lot of amazing figures in this line, and certainly a lot of figures that represent "Oh wow, FINALLY" moments for me. Karg represents one of those remaining moments. I always wondered why he was never made, when Gwildor, Saurod and Blade were. It would be great if he could be made, and since the movie rights remain an issue of contention, perhaps Tom's suggestion offers a way that we could get Karg. He looks close enough to his movie look for me, and I like the added details such as his cape.

    Behind Crita, Karg is second on my "wishlist" MOTUC figure list.
    VBulletin Total Ignore provides improved ignore functionality and removes quoted messages and any post made by an ignored user in a thread.

    Information on how to download: https://greasyfork.org/en

    The user script itself: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/91...n-total-ignore

  20. #95
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Posts
    3,523
    i absolutely want Karg. I'm looking at having an awesome custom like Penny's done by Hunter Knight. But would love an official one.

  21. #96
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    He's talking about Tom's very cool magazine Karg figure concept below the Obama poster-inspired image. Scroll up to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3541474

    It's my friend Tom's design of how he would like to see the figure done. They weren't referring to the "Karg for President"-style pic
    Ah, well... then, am I the only one who for some reason is not seeing any pictures on that message? The only picture I see on this whole page is the "Karg for president" poster one. (Don't know why. I've checked it now and see that there's code there on your message for embedding some attached images. But since this forum software inexplicably doesn't put any image placeholder where images should go, one cannot find out there are missing pictures unless one clicks "quote" and looks at the source code of the message.)
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  22. #97
    Heroic Warrior Swanmarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Ah, well... then, am I the only one who for some reason is not seeing any pictures on that message? The only picture I see on this whole page is the "Karg for president" poster one. (Don't know why. I've checked it now and see that there's code there on your message for embedding some attached images. But since this forum software inexplicably doesn't put any image placeholder where images should go, one cannot find out there are missing pictures unless one clicks "quote" and looks at the source code of the message.)
    I can't see it either


    Initially for me characters like Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver, Fang-Man and Scorpia were 'Mission Accomplished' type figures, whereby if a line of this quality ended without these four, it wouldn't feel complete. Now that Mattel have achieved so much and come so far with this line, I feel Karg and Red Beast (and Dree-Elle / Montork) are the new Weaver style 'missing links' that "need" to be made to complete the collection, thus rounding out respectively the movie characters and original concepts.

    That ius not to say there are not many other characters needed to complete the line, I have a very long list (Garn, Kothos, Hunga, Sybiline, Hoarder, 200x featured characters), but it seems it would be a terrible omission not to produce Karg
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

    Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

  23. #98
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I can't see it either
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Ah, well... then, am I the only one who for some reason is not seeing any pictures on that message?
    That's incredibly frustrating. I uploaded them to my pics album here on the org, and used the link to post. Sounds like a bug - possibly due to the various ways we all view this forum?

    I'll try embedding in the message, but you'll have to click on the small icon.

    image.jpg

    image.jpg
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra, Slamurai, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Mini-Comic/Vintage Toy costume Catra, The Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, The Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro.

    Filmation Variants: Prince Adam, Adora, Count Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Modulok, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form

  24. #99
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    That's incredibly frustrating. I uploaded them to my pics album here on the org, and used the link to post. Sounds like a bug - possibly due to the various ways we all view this forum?

    I'll try embedding in the message, but you'll have to click on the small icon.

    image.jpg

    image.jpg
    Now I can see it, thanks! Nice design indeed.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  25. #100
    Heroic Warrior bamf1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cotonou, Benin, Africa
    Posts
    3,105
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Now I can see it, thanks! Nice design indeed.
    Told ya.
    Aaron’s Top 10 (In Order):
    Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy, The Twiggets, Stridor, Catra’s Cat Form, Kay-La, Skeleteen, Mini Comics Garn, Spinwit, FILMation King Miro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •