Thread: Battlecat....customs fees to be or not to be?

Battlecat....customs fees to be or not to be?

Just been thinking again about Battlecat as I'm still deciding whether to order him or not... (space is an issue ) and it got me wondering about whether the nice people at customs will charge a ransom for his release or not?

Looking at xe.net, $30 is equal to £18.75 with todays exchange rate. In the UK merchandise can be imported duty free for items under £18. So will that extra 75p be the reason UK folks will have to pay more?

I forget the ins and outs of how customs is worked out.....will they be flexible and not slap duty on due to the low amount it goes over the threshold?

My worry is I know our mail service slap on an extra £5 or so for admin charges of paying the fee on your behalf! So I don't like the thought of paying an extra £8-£10 for Battlecat!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Chris here...

I have a similar concern, Neil - the other thing I find is that, if an item goes over £18, they will then actually charge import duty factoring in the shipping costs as well!

UK customs is a complete racket!

I will be ordering BattleCat and taking a chance - I reckon some UK fans will get stung for customs and others won't - we'll have to see...

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Hopefully they wont package Battlecat with Trapjaw and Wundar otherwise I will go bankrupt.
    I think the whole UK customs thing is to make back money the UK economy loses by people buying from abroad. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Hopefully they wont package Battlecat with Trapjaw and Wundar otherwise I will go bankrupt.
    I think the whole UK customs thing is to make back money the UK economy loses by people buying from abroad. Is this correct?
    They don't combine shipping for bonus figures (Battle Cat) and subscription figures (Trap Jaw and Wun-Dar), which in one of the reasons why people don't like subscription.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Well its one of the reasons im glad I subscribed! Prob saved me a fortune on custom charges!

thankfully it isnt an issue for me.I get them sent to a friend and onece they pile up for a month or two he ships them on.

Im VERY lucky that way.I have been stung for as much as 70 effin Euro when the postman arrives!!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

I have a similar concern, Neil - the other thing I find is that, if an item goes over £18, they will then actually charge import duty factoring in the shipping costs as well!

UK customs is a complete racket!

I will be ordering BattleCat and taking a chance - I reckon some UK fans will get stung for customs and others won't - we'll have to see...

Take care...
    A couple years back $30 would have been equal to about £16. Shame the pound has weakened so much against the dollar
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

The customs issue is making me slightly anxious regarding Battle Cat too! For the sake of a few pence...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSabre View Post
    The customs issue is making me slightly anxious regarding Battle Cat too! For the sake of a few pence...
    Maybe it would be as cheap to get him off Ebay? (so long as he isn't more than $45)

I've been wondering this as well, as I'm planning on ordering two I think I'll get them both on the same order so not to risk two customs fee's, or does it not work like that, will I still get double the customs fee?
    Last edited by 13977; February 3, 2010 at 05:32pm.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Master of Rubbish Eats-the-Trash's Avatar
    It's going to be a lottery. The limit is £18 and we are going to be just over that. Customs do not check every package that passes through them, so some of us will get stung with the charges and others will be lucky. They will not let us off as we are just over the limit, the line has to be drawn somewhere.
    I also doubt the $8 subscriber discount will be applied the the declaired value, so that won't help us either.
    With that in mind, I'm going to add a load of stands to my order as I don't trust my luck.
    Awesome adj. inspiring or displaying awe.
    Sticker n. an adhesive label, poster or paper.
    Included vr. 1. to have as contents or part of the contents; be made up of or contain. 2. to add as part of something else; put in as part of a set, group or category. 3. to contain as a secondary or minor ingredient or elememt.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats-the-Trash View Post
    I also doubt the $8 subscriber discount will be applied the the declaired value, so that won't help us either.
    With that in mind, I'm going to add a load of stands to my order as I don't trust my luck.
    Actually it should. The amount of the purchase price should be the one declared to customs. However it's digital river here, so the forms will say $30 on every one by default. Besides DR don't do us fans any favours.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I've been wondering this as well, as I'm planning on ordering two I think I'll get them both on the same order so not to risk two customs fee's, or does it not work like that, will I still get double the customs fee?
    The actual customs fee is a percentage, and so the same either way (unless you get one through without getting "caught", of course). HOWEVER, the Royal Fail adds £8 per item as a handling charge...

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Actually it should. The amount of the purchase price should be the one declared to customs.
    Yes, but I think, that $8 is meant to be a shipping discount, so if they mark $30 on the box, they are not doing anything wrong.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    The actual customs fee is a percentage, and so the same either way (unless you get one through without getting "caught", of course). HOWEVER, the Royal Fail adds £8 per item as a handling charge...
    Thanks mate, that £8 handling charge is a joke. Think I'll just order two BC's and two figure stands packs in one order then to minimise the customs fee. I should be getting two vouchers as I have my subs on different email addresses/accounts so I'll only be able to use one of them if I get them both on one order, cough, cough.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Actually it should. The amount of the purchase price should be the one declared to customs. However it's digital river here, so the forms will say $30 on every one by default. Besides DR don't do us fans any favours.
    Really, I was thinking they'd not put the discount on the form.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

HMG were a bit slack over Xmas as I had double order boxes come through unransomed that a couple of months back would have been easy meat for prowling Customs - who knows if that will continue?

If the $8 comes off the shipping it wont help, but I'm hoping it will come of the purchase total, in which case it might.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorthing View Post
    If the $8 comes off the shipping it wont help, but I'm hoping it will come of the purchase total, in which case it might.
    From how the news artical was worded, it says the voucher is good for $8 off Battlecat (not $8 off shipping of Battlecat)

Also, wish we knew how much shipping will be on him....